7.9

1. Sep 28, 2011
    Although the movie has so many unnecessary parts with a hurried ending, John Millius created "Conan the Barbarian" with a appropriate cast and fantastic visuals, which is why its regarded as a classic.
  2. Sep 20, 2011
    Epic swash-buckling fantasy adventure in the true sword & sorcery style.
    Arnold personifies Robert E. Howard's Conan like no one else could and delivers what the target audience expects. Visceral Combat, One-liners and a camel-punch or two.
    Right up there with "The Princess Bride" and "Ladyhawke."
  3. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie has aged very well, while some moments are cheesy, it's still a highly enjoyable movie for fans of fantasy epic movies, a truly unique movie that's a lot of fun to watch.
  4. Aug 18, 2011
    This movie contains much more then most people can understand because it is about power of spirit. Total classic and still one of the best fantasy movies.
  5. Nov 6, 2011
    The long drawn out silence and "high adventure" perfectly set the grand scale of the Conan universe, doubtful you'll ever see a better performance from Arnie... the action is done very well, the dialogue is minimal but perfect for the broody character, the visuals are wonderful, the music is amazing, personally can't find a flaw in this first outing. 10/10
  6. Jan 26, 2011
    I love Arnie and even though I love cheesy 80s movies this one just didn't catch me. The plot was lame, the acting terrible, the audio was at times unintelligible, and other than the over-the-top gore there was really nothing to savor. Perhaps had I seen it in the 80s I would have had a better appreciation for it, but by somehow missing it I just can't accept giving it anything higher than a 4.
  7. Jan 22, 2013
    "What is best in life? ..." "the riddle of steel" The gold of Conan the Barbarian isn't really the excellent story telling or Swartzneggers prolifically suited role but in the truth of life we must digest while immersed in this "survival of the fittest" . The beauty of Conan here is not great acting but rather the story of passion, the fight of good and evil and the triumph of justice and triumph of the human spirit. Conan the Barbarian as a "cultural artifact" is for many the beginning nothing more than slew of meaningless "adventure movies" that proceeded afterwards, for myself though Conan means a kind of "hope" in many respects .. and that hope while imperfect makes up for a lot of the "movie sin". Expand
  8. Feb 1, 2013
    A guilty pleasure, carried by Arnolds brute charisma and his lack of acting. A fantasy tale that is ultimately both enjoyable and very silly. The ending is quite disappointing, though, even with this "Riefenstahlesque" look.
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With a mix of fantasy, humor, and Arnold's big arms, this flick is one that I think gets better and better with repeat viewings. I haven't read the Howard books, so I can't make any comparison. But until I do read them, Schwarzenegger is my first thought when I hear "Conan" (with O'Brien a distant second). The classic saga of a boy who eventually extracts revenge on the person who was responsible for killing his parents (Holy Batman!), the film traces the training (strength through slavery) Conan receives as a child. This leads to a life as a gladiator, thief, and eventually vigilante. I find the ending to be 'lacking', and rather bland, but the final scene 'promises' more high adventure (re: Conan the Conqueror). As I mentioned, there is actually quite a bit of humor in this film (which helps to maintain the fantasy elements, I believe), with some of the better quotes that I remember. The assorted members of Conan's loose cadre offer various aspects: Valeria (sex), Subota (loyal companion - like a proto-'George Stone' of "The Untouchables"), and The Wizard (start thinking of a Dungeons and Dragons quest party). I've really started to like this movie (since AMC seems to offer it on a regular basis), and though I pretty much know the dialog by heart, it still offers light entertainment. Expand

1. Schwarzenegger has probably never been better-cast.
    Milius has nothing to say: this 1982 film only hints at the romantic heroics of "The Wind and the Lion" and has none of the personal quality of "Big Wednesday."
    I liked a lot of it myself, and with me, a few broadswords and leather jerkins go a long way.