8.2

1. MichaelaC.
    Jan 3, 2010
    The people that said the movie was boring and dull are really saying that they don't want to watch something different and new but just want to stay in their comfort zone of totally predictable movies at least its a fresh change from all those other movies.
  2. Aug 13, 2010
    Coraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very niceCoraline really provides an interesting story with some very nice visuals! It is very engaging and it definitely involves the viewer to figure out what is happening out. Visually, there are some beautiful scenes, and besides the unusual animation style it is still captivating, but nowhere nearly as beautiful as some new animated films, such as "Up" or "Wall-E". Nevertheless, a very nice animated film. Expand
  3. DavidM.
    Feb 28, 2009
    A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution A true labour of love, which bore gorgeous fruit, visually and stylistically. Not likely to appeal to a crowd looking for singing fish and dancing zebras. Why anyone would expect this to be a Disneyesque, inane sunshine and lolipops venture for a SMALL child and then complain after the fact is a bit of a mystery. It is INTENDED to be dark and yes, disturbing. The artistry and execution left me at a loss for words after viewing, but perhaps that is because I am just a "moran" (sorry Bill C) Expand
  4. kairiC
    Feb 7, 2009
    It was really visually stunning, the 3d was a little distracting in a few places, it was really spot-on the spirit of the book, even with the changes. It was fun and creepy and me, my husband, and my 12 year old daughter all enjoyed it. Amazing stop-action like I've never seen.
  5. JimS.
    Feb 7, 2009
    The extra money for the rich 3D is absolutely a must. I was sad when the movie ended that's how much I enjoyed my experience.
  6. amelindas
    May 16, 2009
    At first I felt like a child again, discovering how "wierd" evil was rather than scary or threatening. It than dove right in to the insanity and came out squeaky sane on the other side. The resiliency of a child's mind is astonishing and the movie brought that all back.
  7. DanielM.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story This movie may have been weird, spooky and meant to be played in October. Also, the way that everything went, ( how thematic it was and how scary it was, and to mention one clip of the movie was suggestive enough that it was meant for teenagers instead of children. ) But other than what I just said this was the best movie that I saw that was not meant for toddlers, or adults. The story was surprisingly awesome in an adventurous way, and how they set up the movie was classic. Even better, the movie was definitely appropriately timed, when the movie was ending, I was getting a little antsy. This movie is a must see to any teenager out there. Expand
  8. AlenS
    Feb 27, 2009
    What a magical experience, not a movie at all, but a brilliant adventure. Very creepy... Truly creepy and unsettling... If the movie is too scary for your kids, then don't watch the whole thing! Just because it is spooky doesn't equate it with being bad. The rich visuals were right on. Way better than Nightmare.
  9. PaulD.
    Mar 5, 2009
    Excellent script and stellar animation makes this a winner. I saw it without 3-D, but it was still very impressive. Imaginative and beautiful animation, but suspense and menace keep it from being syrupy. Kept my interest and attention till the end.
  10. Nov 8, 2014
    Good god this film is creepy. Forget actual horror films, I can safely tell you that this was scarier than any horror film I have seen since it's release. Aside from the near mental scarring I underwent, this film was fantastic, it contains some of the best animation I have ever seen, and one of the most compelling heart warming stories. Just don't watch it at night.
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    Coraline is a masterpiece with insightful and clever stop-motion animation that will entertain you like never before. The 3D is absorbing and intelligent, Athena wise 3D use. The plot is original and riveting, with a pleasant and fascinating ending that you will never expect it coming. Coraline easily is imaginative, powerful and surprisingly, one of the greatest works done in a long time.
  12. Oct 28, 2011
    "Coraline" is very basic in terms of story structure or voice acting. But it's the originality that pushes this visually magnificent movie into the stage of performances. Overall a well-made animation that audiences of every age will definitely enjoy.
  13. JasonH.
    Feb 7, 2009
    I REALLY enjoyed watching this movie, and my only gripe is a strange one: About half way through the movie, it starts seeming like it's a video game.
  14. EliasC
    Sep 2, 2009
    Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it Neil Gaiman has always been an acquired taste. His visions of twisted reality in all of his works has always been more appealing to me as in book form rather than as a visual entertainment. Coraline is no exception. His foray into children's books with the publication of Coraline was a surprise to many but his quirky story was well written and appealing on paper. On film however, it just seems...well, strange. Not exactly a kid's movie and not exactly a film for adult's either. The skill it took to animate using stop action movement should be appreciated. Some stop motion techniques exhibited in this film were simply astonishing. But technique alone does not make a good film. A great film for film students does not make a great film for the average viewer. Consider the twisted universe of the film's reality and the even more twisted vision of the film's alternate reality. Look at the scenes with the almost nude acrobatic sisters. Listen to the awful vocal music, This is not a film for children. Let your kids read the book instead and let them use their own imagination to fill in the blanks. And a final note: The 3D theatrical version must have been something to watch. DO not fall for the DVD's 3D version. It is simply bad. Using red and green cardboard glasses, the film is colorless, dark, eye-aching awfulness. The producers of the DVD's 3D packaging should be ashamed. Expand
  15. Dec 18, 2011
    Henry Selick takes Neil Gaiman's imaginative story and makes wonders with it with thrills, dark humor, great stop motion animation, and a cool original score make Coraline one of the best animated films ever made in my opinion. I give this movie 93%.
  16. NathanR.
    Mar 1, 2009
    I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and I really wanted to like this movie, especially after viewing the metacritic score. This was the first 3D movie I felt was worth seeing. And while it is not a terrible movie, it certainly does not deserve a 79 score. Others have mentioned it, but Dakota Fanning is NOT a good voice actress. The visuals were hit and miss. When Coraline first visits her "other family" is close to stunning and kept my attention. Unfortunately from that point on I felt like taking a nap. The scene with the near-nude granny was not at all necessary, and not funny. That's another thing this movie lacked: humor. All in all, this is not the worst movie I've ever seen. Far from the best. Far, FAR from the best. Expand
  17. SeanS.
    Feb 24, 2009
    I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was I agree with some of the recent negative reviews. I posted a negative review a week ago and it was erased. Are any of these 10 reviews for real? My wife and I thought it was really boring and long. My friends who saw this movie with their kids also said their kids wanted to leave the theater because it was boring and made no sense. The animation was choppy and overall story line was creepy and way too long. Who is behind all these positive reviews? Expand
  18. May 4, 2012
    I saw this movie with the family, and there wasn't a single one of us who enjoyed it. Very disappointing given the hype about it. The story was boring, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
  19. HeidiE.
    Feb 21, 2009
    This movie was horrible. I have never written a review about a movie good or bad before, but this was so bad I felt compelled to write. It was not a movie for kids. It was way to scary and the story line for adults and kids was long, drawn out and boring.
  20. MargaretS.
    Mar 9, 2009
    In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: In reading most of these comments, I noticed that the people that really enjoyed this film were young adults who possibly enjoy video games and have no children. Maybe that's who this movie is geared for perhaps. As a middle aged adult who has seen my fair share of adult movies as well as many kid movies, I didn't find this movie particularly enjoyable for the following reasons: poor characterization and poor story flow. If it weren't for the superior 3D animation holding our attention, my family and I would have left the theatre within 10 minutes and asked for out money back. Expand
  21. BillC.
    Feb 21, 2009
    Pure garbage in 3D. A kids Movie? Maybe for idiots and morans. A story poorly told and not enjoyed by anyone in the theater we were in. No Joke. What's a kids movie doing with a busty animated dancing lady with pasties all about?? Why the high rating on meta critic??? This thing was just awful. Again , I can say No One in the Theater seemed to like it.
  22. jb
    Feb 8, 2009
    A good amount of scenes show real beauty and imagination, but I found myself not ever caring for these characters. Not once. Someone else mentioned that the story was reminiscent of a video game, and it is. What a shame. Unless of course your really swept away by video games. Also, paying close to 3 bucks for glasses that belong to a technology that wasn't worthwhile even fifty years A good amount of scenes show real beauty and imagination, but I found myself not ever caring for these characters. Not once. Someone else mentioned that the story was reminiscent of a video game, and it is. What a shame. Unless of course your really swept away by video games. Also, paying close to 3 bucks for glasses that belong to a technology that wasn't worthwhile even fifty years ago is quite a shame as well. Expand
  23. JeffC
    Mar 25, 2009
    Very amazing work with the stop-action, but the film is very overrated. The story was mediocre and drawn out too much.
  24. JulianM.
    Mar 3, 2009
    It was horrible. I couldn't get into it at all... it made no sense. Avoid it, unless you're under 5. The animation is pretty choppy, even with 3D. I can't see how it got all these great reviews.
  25. CoralineR
    Apr 7, 2009
    I wish I could give it a lower score, because this was the worst movie I have seen in many years. Pathetic story, terrible animation, no pace, I fought to stay awake, and later regretted doing so.
  26. wenzdaej
    Jul 27, 2009
    It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that It was ok could have been better and it definitely was a kids movie kids love to be scared and this wasn't even that scary since it was animated and kids always know the difference better than adults i remember being a kid and i LOVED scary movies all kids do and did anybody ever read any fairy tales from grimm to o Henry what about te little match girl she froze to death was that for kids?? Cinderella if any1 ever bothered to actually read it the sisters die a gruesome death, so all u wawawa a its not for kids morons ' yours are the kids who get beat up and have their heads flushed down the toilet. Expand
  27. BenG
    Oct 3, 2009
    Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Gaiman is truly the most over-rated writer who should be on the D-List for DULL. Coraline was a mediocre book and a crappy, and painfully boring movie. Like any mediocre artist, Gaiman is now going for notoriety by hooking up with the untalented Palmer who in turn strips her clothes off at the slightest provocation. I heard they were Scientologists, which would explain an awful lot since Scientologists act like loons out in public. Expand
  28. portlihop
    May 10, 2009
    Visually stunning(3d Had great storyline bones but not enough meat to get stuck into. My 10yr old described story line as "meh" +points for scaring the shit out of my 6 year old.
  29. DylanD.
    Aug 16, 2009
    Overrated tripe.
  30. JethroA.
    Aug 17, 2009
    Boring boring boring. Very annoying main character with very very annoying voice acting. Grated on my nerves for 10 minutes til I turned it off. I didn't see it all, but I couldn't stand another second.

This is perhaps the most effective 3-D movie I have ever seen, with a sophisticated, involving story that will appeal to many adults. The only reservation I have is with the PG rating, which seems too lenient for a story that may give very young children - particularly if they are sensitive - nightmares.
    The combination of 3-D photography and puppet-animation - centered on actual figures designed by hand and manipulated frame by frame - creates a world that's dense, active and fluid: a sensory Jacuzzi.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenni Miller
    The story is creepy fun and 100-percent different than whatever other crap is flooding the February market.