7.6

1. Jan 13, 2015
    The best animated love story to date, a beautiful animated classic and a must watch for Valentines Day or Halloween (I guess The Nightmare before Christmas ain't the only film with two holidays included)
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    "Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are the best animation couple in a tim burton film". Tim Burton is like a book with gotham stories that seem strange at first you'll it as you get to know the characters also the story much better once you see his movies. Grade A+
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    Didn't enjoy it. It was too boring, the plot seemed pretty stupid, and I disliked most of the characters, though I will praise the animation and voixe acting however...
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    A story about the dead seems so fresh, alive, and beautiful. This is among Burton's best work. His brilliance for creating imagery and tone is why he is one of Hollywood's most distinguished directors.
  5. Jun 30, 2013
    Corpse Bride is good not great. Joyfully brilliant animation and wonderful music are unfortunately muddled by a boring plot and depressing and empty characters.
  6. Nov 22, 2012
    Tim Burton carries on his dark, romantic tradition
  7. Sep 17, 2012
    Corpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, JaneCorpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, Jane Horrocks, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee and Richard E. Grant simply astounds - few directors other than Tim Burton would be able to command the respect of such an array of talent. Helena Bonham Carter blows all away however with her tender performance as Emily, the tragic character of the title. She's a compelling, rounded protagonist and Bonham Carter takes her characterisation in many directions, from child-like immaturity, to bitterness at her situation to eventual dignified acceptance of her untimely demise, and every emotion in-between. The contrast between the sombre, formal and grey world world of the living and the lively, colourful and free land of the dead is striking and effective - Burton has retained his go-to theme of not belonging in the world you are born in, and still has a unique view of death and a distinctive and individual use of cheerfully macabre imagery. In addition to the detail and expressiveness of the puppets and the energy of the animation (supervised by the film's incredibly talented co-director Mike Johnson), Danny Elfman's rich soundtrack and catchy songs, particularly the jazzy "Remains of the Day" and the rip-roaring "Wedding Song" breathe real life into the film. Though the film has much to say about life, death, class, family, love and loneliness, what makes it so memorable is that Tim Burton has provided us with such an entertainingly oddball piece of fantasy escapism. The world of Corpse Bride is a real pleasure to spend time in, and you really grow attached to the weird and wonderful cast of misfits, be they corpse or not. Burton's kookiness and abundance of unusual ideas can sometimes get in the way of telling a coherent, evenly paced story (most noticeably in his recent efforts Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows), but not so here - Corpse Bride is a pleasingly simple tale well-told, and characters and their performers are allowed to make a real emotional connection with the viewer. For a film manufactured using an archaic form of animation that seems to aim to actively reject reality, and which prominently features the reanimated dead, it's an oddly human, and miraculously heart-tugging experience, and is probably the most balanced and immaculate of all Tim Burton's films. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2011
    When I was going to watch this movie for the very first time, I thought it would be bloody awful. The movie flattered me: it's so beautiful, so full of content, and so carefully made! Tim Burton is yet to make a bad movie.
  9. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I myself am not a big fan of the Gothic style of Tim Burton's animated films. Rarely are there any shades of orange or yellow or any bright, non-depressing colors. However, I think Burton uses these different shades and hues as a metaphor; the living world contains most of the black and gray and the world of limbo (after reviewing the movie, I was surprised by the idea that the world Victor had been dragged into was limbo, rather than the world of the dead) contained more bright colors and happier characters. This film shows what love really is, not typical beauty and infatuation, but actually finding something in common with someone. The realization of the bride at the end of the film and her transition into the afterlife was illustrated very well. In short, this film is a nice love story and has an ending that isn't as typical as I thought it would be. Expand
  10. Nov 29, 2010
    it is a terrible movie i dont now why i wasted my ime watching it i am never going to listen to critics again because the all gave it great reviews for all those people trying to decide wether to watch it don't just 't and whoe ver had the idea to put depp in a voice role is just plane stupid i am so sick of these terrible movies!!!
  11. Oct 31, 2010
    Well, I thought it was great but Nightmare Before Christmas was just a tad better. The songs were good, and the characters just gave it that Tim Burton twang that we all know and love.
  12. AaronG.
    Apr 1, 2009
    I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for a while, but I was really looking forward to not much. The movie, itself, reminds me a lot of Tim Burton's extremely celebrated Nightmare before Christmas. However, I was crushed about halfway into the rather short movie by boring, uninteresting characters, a twist ending that only an idiot couldn't see coming, and music I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for a while, but I was really looking forward to not much. The movie, itself, reminds me a lot of Tim Burton's extremely celebrated Nightmare before Christmas. However, I was crushed about halfway into the rather short movie by boring, uninteresting characters, a twist ending that only an idiot couldn't see coming, and music that just doesn't quite hit the high note. It makes me very sad to say this movie was very "ok", but the fact is that it's just too much like it's main character. Short, timid, and vaguely uninteresting. If there's one thing I have to praise, it's the excellent atmosphere and animation. Otherwise, I have not much but disappointment for this movie. Oh, and it was really fun watching the blu ray disc freeze up. I sent for another one, but that one froze up too. Coincidence? Expand
  13. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who would've thought that the love story of a timid man and a corpse would touch our hearts?
  14. AmyC.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare before Christmas. overall I LOVE THIS MOVIE Expand
  15. DeannaH
    Aug 3, 2007
    A really good movie i like it a lot. I like Johnny Depp a lot!!!
  16. Velour
    Jan 13, 2007
    This movie, like Burton's " Nightmare Before Christmas" has a familiar style, but the storyline doesn't intrigue me enough to watch 75 minutes. I found it to be less capturing than Nightmare. But, it is better than the title suggest's.
  17. ClausV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Stop-motion animation may be a dinosaur, but can still be technically superb. I didn't believe they used real puppets in this film. Very good plot and characters. Fell in love with the Corpse Bride -what a sweet, unselfconsciously erotic darling! I would happily die to marry her and play four-hand classic piano without a score for eternity!
  18. ElizabethC.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are an awesome team.... I loved this movie!!!
  19. KevinH
    Oct 22, 2006
    It's no Nightmare Before Christmas, but a great movie regardless.
  20. alvaro
    Sep 24, 2006
    A beautiful dark story, which amazing characters, and a beautiful ending.
  21. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I feel strongly that The Nightmare Before Christmas was one of the great films of my lifetime, and that the charm and unrepressable... oomph it had cannot be reproduced in any way. Not even, or most specifically by the original director. Yes, Corpse Bride had the same demi-goth elements that have made Tim Burton who he is today, and Danny Elfman didn't do a completely shoddy job with I feel strongly that The Nightmare Before Christmas was one of the great films of my lifetime, and that the charm and unrepressable... oomph it had cannot be reproduced in any way. Not even, or most specifically by the original director. Yes, Corpse Bride had the same demi-goth elements that have made Tim Burton who he is today, and Danny Elfman didn't do a completely shoddy job with the music, but it's no longer a first. Nightmare was just that- comepletely unique and overwhelming. I still get cold shivers up and down my body when I listen to the songs, and the concept, however basic, just fit like a jigsaw puzzle to make a master-piece. Corpse Bride very conciously felt like a rip-off, like Burton wanted desperately to have another go with the medium, and thought somehow he could make another classic by just utilizing the same elements. Nope. Sorry. Didn't work. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really good, either. I almost worship the ground Burton and Elfman walk on, and I even loved Big Fish, but I love Burton's films because although each retainting a flavor that very clearly indicating Tim's touch, each movie still remains a completely seperate entity and holds it's own charm. It almost feels like Corpse Bride is a badly disguised sequel to Nightmare, but cops out at the last. Expand
  22. MattM.
    Jun 24, 2006
    such a dull drab pointless waste of time, boring insipid characters, dull plot, no twists. and johnny depp has no impact as avoice actor. dont waste your 5.99 like i did. dont.
  23. RavenX301
    Apr 12, 2006
    I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading anamation actors he's not much outside of 'ordinary' Expand
  24. R.Dalvi
    Mar 26, 2006
    Excellent animation. All the people look cute. The voices also are very good.
  25. MichaelL.
    Mar 14, 2006
    Musicals are fun, Animated movies are generally fun. This kinda brought both together with a story lacking true conflict. It would be nice to see movies where men (animated or not) are not displayed as complete wusses. I found the dead bride hotter than warm-blooded one. anyone else?
  26. EthanM.
    Mar 5, 2006
    This movie, while looking like a movie that would leave a mark for many years, sadly fell quite short of what I had been expecting. It was a bland, heapless mess with good animation.
  27. vixi
    Mar 2, 2006
    It looks beautiful...sadly the characters are boring and hollow and do not capture you in any way to make you feel something from this movie.
  28. TonyG.
    Feb 5, 2006
    if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for yourself just how much mind power was put into this film. hats off, 2 thumbs up, 3 snaps in a circle to tim burton and his crew for making an instant classic. Expand
  29. CaptainSpaulding
    Jan 31, 2006
    Not "The Nightmare Before Christmas" or anything like it, by any means. If you were expecting the former, then you will be disappointed. Beautiful animation and the spookiness you expect from Tim Burton, but NO sympathetic characters like the former movie. No one for the audience to hang onto! Beautifully rendered visuals, but no story or emotional ties on the characters. Rent "Nightmare" Not "The Nightmare Before Christmas" or anything like it, by any means. If you were expecting the former, then you will be disappointed. Beautiful animation and the spookiness you expect from Tim Burton, but NO sympathetic characters like the former movie. No one for the audience to hang onto! Beautifully rendered visuals, but no story or emotional ties on the characters. Rent "Nightmare" again and leave this one (along with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) at the video store. Expand
  30. KodeeD.
    Jan 9, 2006
    I loved this movie. You gotta LOVE Johnny!

1. A wondrous flight of fancy, a stop-motion-animated treat brimming with imaginative characters, evocative sets, sly humor, inspired songs and a genuine whimsy that seldom finds its way into today's movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    An endearingly schizoid Frankenstein of a movie, by turns relentlessly high-spirited and darkly poignant.
    It's warped and wonderfully effervescent. Ditto the songs by Danny Elfman, who sings the role of Bonejangles, the frontman for a skeleton jazz band at a swinging underworld club. Best of all is the love story.