Corpse Bride

8.0

1. Oct 9, 2015
    Wow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from the entire cast, especially Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Albert Finney, the film strikes many a chord throughout, but never ceases toWow, Corpse Bride truly shocked me. Ultimately, what we got was a beautiful blend of Tim Burton's creepy gothic look, a Halloween-esque backdrop, and a wonderful meditation on love and marriage. Featuring brilliant voice acting from the entire cast, especially Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, and Albert Finney, the film strikes many a chord throughout, but never ceases to be visually stunning. Honestly, this may be one of the best animated films I have ever encountered. The attention to detail and true visual splendor, is incredible. The final sequence may be one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in a film before. Just...wow. In addition, the music is stellar, but all things created by Danny Elfman have to be, no? I think that is a rule at this point. Overall, Corpse Bride is a wonderful animated film that is funny, romantic, charming, and magnificently animated and created. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    "Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are the best animation couple in a tim burton film". Tim Burton is like a book with gotham stories that seem strange at first you'll it as you get to know the characters also the story much better once you see his movies. Grade A+
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    A story about the dead seems so fresh, alive, and beautiful. This is among Burton's best work. His brilliance for creating imagery and tone is why he is one of Hollywood's most distinguished directors.
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    Corpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, JaneCorpse Bride is sweet and sincere, dark and funny, and perhaps the most technically accomplished and beautiful example of stop-motion animation ever. A great British voice cast fronted by Johnny Depp (OK he's not British but plays the cripplingly shy young English gent Victor Van Dort well) and featuring Emily Watson, Joanna Lumley, Albert Finney, Paul Whitehouse, Tracey Ullman, Jane Horrocks, Michael Gough, Christopher Lee and Richard E. Grant simply astounds - few directors other than Tim Burton would be able to command the respect of such an array of talent. Helena Bonham Carter blows all away however with her tender performance as Emily, the tragic character of the title. She's a compelling, rounded protagonist and Bonham Carter takes her characterisation in many directions, from child-like immaturity, to bitterness at her situation to eventual dignified acceptance of her untimely demise, and every emotion in-between. The contrast between the sombre, formal and grey world world of the living and the lively, colourful and free land of the dead is striking and effective - Burton has retained his go-to theme of not belonging in the world you are born in, and still has a unique view of death and a distinctive and individual use of cheerfully macabre imagery. In addition to the detail and expressiveness of the puppets and the energy of the animation (supervised by the film's incredibly talented co-director Mike Johnson), Danny Elfman's rich soundtrack and catchy songs, particularly the jazzy "Remains of the Day" and the rip-roaring "Wedding Song" breathe real life into the film. Though the film has much to say about life, death, class, family, love and loneliness, what makes it so memorable is that Tim Burton has provided us with such an entertainingly oddball piece of fantasy escapism. The world of Corpse Bride is a real pleasure to spend time in, and you really grow attached to the weird and wonderful cast of misfits, be they corpse or not. Burton's kookiness and abundance of unusual ideas can sometimes get in the way of telling a coherent, evenly paced story (most noticeably in his recent efforts Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows), but not so here - Corpse Bride is a pleasingly simple tale well-told, and characters and their performers are allowed to make a real emotional connection with the viewer. For a film manufactured using an archaic form of animation that seems to aim to actively reject reality, and which prominently features the reanimated dead, it's an oddly human, and miraculously heart-tugging experience, and is probably the most balanced and immaculate of all Tim Burton's films. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2012
    Tim Burton carries on his dark, romantic tradition
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I myself am not a big fan of the Gothic style of Tim Burton's animated films. Rarely are there any shades of orange or yellow or any bright, non-depressing colors. However, I think Burton uses these different shades and hues as a metaphor; the living world contains most of the black and gray and the world of limbo (after reviewing the movie, I was surprised by the idea that the world Victor had been dragged into was limbo, rather than the world of the dead) contained more bright colors and happier characters. This film shows what love really is, not typical beauty and infatuation, but actually finding something in common with someone. The realization of the bride at the end of the film and her transition into the afterlife was illustrated very well. In short, this film is a nice love story and has an ending that isn't as typical as I thought it would be. Expand
  7. Oct 31, 2010
    Well, I thought it was great but Nightmare Before Christmas was just a tad better. The songs were good, and the characters just gave it that Tim Burton twang that we all know and love.
  8. Jan 13, 2015
    The best animated love story to date, a beautiful animated classic and a must watch for Valentines Day or Halloween (I guess The Nightmare before Christmas ain't the only film with two holidays included)
  9. Aug 31, 2011
    When I was going to watch this movie for the very first time, I thought it would be bloody awful. The movie flattered me: it's so beautiful, so full of content, and so carefully made! Tim Burton is yet to make a bad movie.
  10. Apr 13, 2016
    The movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling on the third time? I'll watch & write another review tomorrow, as I really wanna know! The corpse bride (eye popping out, maggots on her face & worst ofThe movie is set to quite a dark theme, which lifts as soon as Johnny Depp enters your life...I mean voices victor on the screen. It has the sort of humor that will make you have a little giggle even on the second watch of it....giggling on the third time? I'll watch & write another review tomorrow, as I really wanna know! The corpse bride (eye popping out, maggots on her face & worst of all she doesn't shower!) is dubbed pretty by my 'ladyfriend'.... yet she herself would rather not go out without her make-up on....not realizing her own beauty? Should I get her some Maggots? Please comment below, help?

So THIS story ends with a huge plot twist!! ** Spoiler ALERT**

- You fall asleep just before half-way & wake up near the credits
    - You end up using your imagination on how the movie went or asking an attentive 'ladyfriend'

Dark, JD, Giggling, Drop dead 'gorgeous' CB, maggots - All THIS combined gets a SOLID - 'Meh'

10/10!!!

*Update 3rd time still a giggle, stay tuned for a 4th update.
  11. AmyC.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare This is the best movie that i have even seen, in my option it is MUCH better than the nightmare before Christmas. i do not understand why people are judging the two movies they are totally different. sure they are Tim Burton's movies but still you don't see a skeleton trying to kidnap Christmas in the corpse bride and you don't see a man marrying a corpse in the nightmare before Christmas. overall I LOVE THIS MOVIE Expand
  12. DevonS
    Apr 27, 2008
    Who would've thought that the love story of a timid man and a corpse would touch our hearts?
  13. Rob
    Sep 11, 2005
    Oscar definitely needs to pay this film a visit! The best stop motion animation ever in cinema!
  14. DanH.
    Sep 13, 2005
    This was the first movie our two year old has seen and he loved it. It is visually stunning enough to hold his attention even during the less chaotic scenes. It is a wonderful gothic romance.
  15. Croki
    Sep 16, 2005
    Incredible!! Tim Burton's animated movie is wonderful and magical, with the spirit of ''The Nightmare Before Christmas''
  16. GregMiller
    Sep 16, 2005
    "Bad! Bad! Gross! Disgusting!" Uh--yeah. It IS titled "Corpse Bride." I guess if you were expecting lollipops and puppy dogs you entered the wrong fairy tale, not to mention the wrong theatre. Great movie. Nice to see something different come out of Hollywood. Burton is generally hit or miss, but his movies are always pretty, even when they are so-called "disgusting!" Go see it.
  17. OrenK.
    Sep 16, 2005
    Excellent - another brilliant Tim Burton and Danny Elfman stop motion film. I do have to say, it wasn't quite as good as Nightmare, but excellent all the same. Highly recommend it.
  18. ColinG
    Sep 16, 2005
    This is the best stop animation movie since a Nightmare before Christmas. If you enjoyed Tim B's animation and imagery style, you will not be disappointed. Don't miss out seeing this in the theatre. It's a real treat. Thanks Tim B. for giving us this picture.
  19. MarieM.
    Sep 18, 2005
    A wonderful movie! A classic fairytale with a very big twist. It wasn't really that gross-- even from a mom's point of view. I loved the way that the living world was grey, looking dead, yet the dead world was vibrant and much more alive. The musical numbers were funny and enjoyable. Our viewing was filled with mostly adults, they loved it, and the kids did too.
  20. JoshB.
    Sep 18, 2005
    I was naturally skeptical because Tim Burton's movies sometimes can be really disappointing. This is not the case.
  21. SteveK.
    Sep 19, 2005
    Superb. I wished it were longer, but it fit the story, which was inspired, surprising as it could be, and sweetly romantic. Sensitive and delicate are words that come to mind. I didn't it grotesqe at all, well not the dead people part - it was the living that fit that label. I went with my 3 teenager daughters, into a packed theater and mine loved it, the crowd gave moderate Superb. I wished it were longer, but it fit the story, which was inspired, surprising as it could be, and sweetly romantic. Sensitive and delicate are words that come to mind. I didn't it grotesqe at all, well not the dead people part - it was the living that fit that label. I went with my 3 teenager daughters, into a packed theater and mine loved it, the crowd gave moderate applause. See this in a theater - when it is on video it will take a good system to handle the blacks and subtle shades of grays. BTW, this is not an animation - it is stop action. And that makes for a different genre as compared to Shrek etc. Expand
  22. MaxL.
    Sep 20, 2005
    Great animation, interesting story and captivating song and dance numbers. But the characters are not very developed. However, that's not a reason to skip this movie. Go see it. Creepy and entertaining and the end was quite apt. Short and sweet...and creepy.
  23. JenniferM.
    Sep 20, 2005
    Brilliant story writing, fantastic animation, and great voices. I found the song lyrics hard to understand, but that was my only complaint.
  24. Prattdaddy
    Sep 23, 2005
    Ok, first off, the animation and art direction was superb. Seamless stop-motion, along with sets and visuals that dripped and oozed with gothic, outlandish color and flair. Definitely Oscar worthy for best animated film, and for best art direction. Also, voice acting was excellent. There was not a single bad performance in the film. From Depp's nervous/humble demeanor, to Ok, first off, the animation and art direction was superb. Seamless stop-motion, along with sets and visuals that dripped and oozed with gothic, outlandish color and flair. Definitely Oscar worthy for best animated film, and for best art direction. Also, voice acting was excellent. There was not a single bad performance in the film. From Depp's nervous/humble demeanor, to Bonham-Carter's flighty and twittery performance as the Corpse Bride herself, the casting was spot-on. Also, Elfman's sweeping score once again matches Burton's mood perfectly. The only place where the film faltered, was the musical numbers. The opening theme "Glorious Day for a Wedding", and the number where bar singing Bonejangles tells the story of the Bride are great, but it's in the 5+ other songs including a duet with the bride's head-dwelling maggot and a spider, where you find yourself looking at your watch. The abundance of these less-than-stellar songs may bore some older viewers, unless you are just a die hard Elfman fan. But still, the best animated film in a long while, and more than likely, the film tha will steal Pixar's thunder at the Oscar's this year. 9 out 0f 10 Collapse
  25. CarlN.
    Sep 25, 2005
    Tim Burton returns to his strength. Like Edward Scissorhands he comments on the shallowness of current culture in its inability to accept the stranger. And he shows how giving oneself leads to freedom and transcendence. Further the technical details of this production are revolutionary and the movie looks beautiful.
  26. Kaimi
    Sep 25, 2005
    Ok first off to the person who said this movie was just plain wierd and creepy..What did you expect form a moive called "Corpse Bride" Its about a zombie for Judas' Sake. I found it to be entertaining and funny.
  27. GregL.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Years ago, Danny Elfman's former band (Oingo Boingo) released an album entitled "Dead Man's Party". He must have LOVED doing the music for this film.
  28. JustinM.
    Sep 27, 2005
    The visuals in this film are stunning. Burton's stylized color scheme and fluid stop motion and motion tracking are virtually flawless. Fans of "Nightmare" will not be disappointed. The film is understandably on the short side and there seemed to be a few too many musical numbers. Overall, the story is decent and the execution is compelling. Worth a watch.
  29. MarcoA.
    Sep 27, 2005
    I like it for some reason.
  30. EricS
    Sep 28, 2005
    Corpse Bride was highly entertaining in that it put a fresh spin on a cliched story. The stylized animation was a joy to look at and the voice performances were for the most part performed well. The ending felt rushed but that didn't detract from a genuinely fun movie.
  31. JacobZ
    Oct 1, 2005
    Complete style over substance. Visually stunning, but completely disappointing. Burton, and especially Elfman, with the music, could have done a lot more and a lot better. Still, the production design, and visuals, are all grade A, and for that, I give it a good score.
  32. DanR.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Highly imaginative with a particularly wry script and technically fascinating in its use of stop-motion. I found the depiction at the end of the emotional connection between the dead and the living touching.
  33. CambriK.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Awesome movie.
  34. ClintM.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Ok, for starters, the movie deserved a solid 10. Then why didn't I give it that? B/c it left me wanting more! At 1 hour 20 minutes, the story moves right along and keeps you so enthralled all the way thru, that you don't realize the tiime's flown by! The movie was in a word ... wonderful. Animation ... beautiful. Entertainment value ... unbeatable!!!
  35. kaylam.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Very good.
  36. DanaM.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Entertaining but won't win an Oscar. Good fun though my wife didn't care for it.
  37. sageelder
    Oct 8, 2005
    I*luv*this movie!!!!
  38. KelseyK.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Wonderfull movie, although a bit drab a times. Although not a classic like Edward Scissorhands or The Nightmare Before Christmas, I think that Tim Burton did a great job on this. And Danny Elfman outdid himself on this.
  39. OlumideE.
    Oct 9, 2005
    It was pretty good, though not as good as Edward Scissorhands or the Nightmare before Christmas. It just doesn't move the same way as those did.
  40. JeremyM.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Great movie overall!!
  41. ArielG
    Oct 20, 2005
    I saw this one today and found it very amusing and charming. Not the best thing out there, but it was quite entertaining. Anyone who has seen Tim Burton's previous works will know what to expect from this one. The stop-motion animation was a lot more fluid than in "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Johnny Depp's voice was perfect as the main character. Recommended for those who I saw this one today and found it very amusing and charming. Not the best thing out there, but it was quite entertaining. Anyone who has seen Tim Burton's previous works will know what to expect from this one. The stop-motion animation was a lot more fluid than in "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Johnny Depp's voice was perfect as the main character. Recommended for those who desire to see something a little creative and different, but it might not be for everyone. Expand
  42. StarGirl
    Oct 23, 2005
    Amazing movies i loved it :D
  43. KeatonK.
    Oct 25, 2005
    Joyfully brilliant animation and terrific performances are unfortunately muddled by a thematically confusing plot and mediocre music.
  44. Robertc
    Oct 30, 2005
    An unbeleivable spectacle of animation. Burton combined the realm of "shadow/goth" with that of a "dreary heartedsoul" so well that I found myself covered in goosebumps during the first five minutes. The graphics were such that I felt I had been in 19th century gothic...wherever that place was....ni a previous life. (Maybe I was!) ALthough I say it would have had a more smashing effect An unbeleivable spectacle of animation. Burton combined the realm of "shadow/goth" with that of a "dreary heartedsoul" so well that I found myself covered in goosebumps during the first five minutes. The graphics were such that I felt I had been in 19th century gothic...wherever that place was....ni a previous life. (Maybe I was!) ALthough I say it would have had a more smashing effect without the cheesy music- I give it a nine outa ten. The bombshell of Burton's career! Expand
  45. Bob
    Nov 1, 2005
    It was hot.
  46. MichaelK.
    Nov 6, 2005
    Wonderfully creative and a joy to watch!
  47. cute**angel**
    Nov 10, 2005
    This fillm is so wicked cute angels rates it a ten out of ten and cute angels loves the song"Tears to shed" it made cute angel cry!
  48. DonnaS.
    Nov 11, 2005
    A wonderful, well-thought out, almost dreamlike piece of animation. Tim Burton never fails to produce stunning stop-go motion pieces that are a delight to the eyes! The musical score was a fantastic compliment to a stunning achievement of cinema. See if for the characters tales and for the general feel good factor that accompanys all of Tim Burtons masterpieces!!
  49. LaurenceS.
    Nov 16, 2005
    This movie was really cool, the visuals were awesome, and I liked all the hideous creatures.
  50. BitBurn
    Nov 20, 2005
    It was a joy to watch. Cute animation, magical creatures, good storyline, heart-felt all over.
  51. KarlV.V.
    Nov 24, 2005
    Wonderfull movie, it's made realy beautifull and thestory is really ogiginal too. Classic Tim Burton!
  52. KevinF
    Nov 24, 2005
    When I first saw the movie, I was very impressed. But time after thinking about it, it still was a good movie, but they should have used better then Johnny Depp and Emily Watson. Corpse Bride was overall a solid movie, but 77 minutes? The ending seemed very rushed, and there were times to have you guess, but it was kinda predictable. I guessed all the predictables, and a couple of cool When I first saw the movie, I was very impressed. But time after thinking about it, it still was a good movie, but they should have used better then Johnny Depp and Emily Watson. Corpse Bride was overall a solid movie, but 77 minutes? The ending seemed very rushed, and there were times to have you guess, but it was kinda predictable. I guessed all the predictables, and a couple of cool lines to show in the movie. If Burton didn't just used "friends" as his voices, and took a better look at others, maybe it wouldn't have sounded so weak at times. Overall, a 7/10 sounds like the right rating. It's worth a look when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  53. WallyS.
    Dec 6, 2005
    The best animation of the year. Burton pulls it off once again and creates a majestic work, of inner beauty and of dazzling visual. A classic, Romeo + Juliet on gothic roots.
  54. KingdomH.
    Dec 7, 2005
    I think the story doesn't suit little children. The animation and the character do, but some part of the story need adult understanding. Just take a look yourself, and you'll understand what I mean. Other than this is just magnificent.
  55. GregF.
    Dec 25, 2005
    I giveing it a 10 because tim burton has out done him self this time hey always has a way of toping every flim he has ever done and he gose above and beond the call on this one.
  56. SammyZee
    Jan 1, 2006
    I've always thought that Tim Burton was great. And now he's back for another movie. I'm giving this an 8 instead of a 10 becuase it's not only a movie for little kids, the animation is but if you watch it there was a deeper meaning.
  57. DanC.
    Jan 4, 2006
    Visually is a sublime, but the plot is really predictable and boring.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Its official. Johnny Depp is the best actor both on screen and off screen. He plays the role perfectly, and we didnt even see him in person! That guy is amazing.
  59. KodeeD.
    Jan 9, 2006
    I loved this movie. You gotta LOVE Johnny!
  60. TonyG.
    Feb 5, 2006
    if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for if you truly love tim burtons style, then you will fall in love with this masterpiece. if you like stupid, commercialized, crappy, trendy,spoiled brat films like most people, then stay away from this movie. if you have a great imagination and dare to go where most don't, then this is for you. extreamly creative, classic type story. if you get the dvd go to the extras and just see for yourself just how much mind power was put into this film. hats off, 2 thumbs up, 3 snaps in a circle to tim burton and his crew for making an instant classic. Expand
  61. MichaelL.
    Mar 14, 2006
    Musicals are fun, Animated movies are generally fun. This kinda brought both together with a story lacking true conflict. It would be nice to see movies where men (animated or not) are not displayed as complete wusses. I found the dead bride hotter than warm-blooded one. anyone else?
  62. R.Dalvi
    Mar 26, 2006
    Excellent animation. All the people look cute. The voices also are very good.
  63. RavenX301
    Apr 12, 2006
    I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as Nightmare Before Chrismas but close.... Just watching Time Burtons films leave me with a warm loving feeling no matter how off beat they are and darkly twisted. Still, Why Johnny Deep? more than likly more of a sales reason I'm sure sense Johnny Deeps Voice for the charater has no bearings on the film. Thou I love Johnny Deep....for a leading anamation actors he's not much outside of 'ordinary' Expand
  64. alvaro
    Sep 24, 2006
    A beautiful dark story, which amazing characters, and a beautiful ending.
  65. KevinH
    Oct 22, 2006
    It's no Nightmare Before Christmas, but a great movie regardless.
  66. ElizabethC.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are an awesome team.... I loved this movie!!!
  67. ClausV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Stop-motion animation may be a dinosaur, but can still be technically superb. I didn't believe they used real puppets in this film. Very good plot and characters. Fell in love with the Corpse Bride -what a sweet, unselfconsciously erotic darling! I would happily die to marry her and play four-hand classic piano without a score for eternity!
  68. DeannaH
    Aug 3, 2007
    A really good movie i like it a lot. I like Johnny Depp a lot!!!

1. A wondrous flight of fancy, a stop-motion-animated treat brimming with imaginative characters, evocative sets, sly humor, inspired songs and a genuine whimsy that seldom finds its way into today's movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    An endearingly schizoid Frankenstein of a movie, by turns relentlessly high-spirited and darkly poignant.
    It's warped and wonderfully effervescent. Ditto the songs by Danny Elfman, who sings the role of Bonejangles, the frontman for a skeleton jazz band at a swinging underworld club. Best of all is the love story.