8.1

1. MikeN.
    Oct 29, 2003
    A good movie on its own right, but brought down by the shadow of the series (which was far better, IMO). Most of the series' charm and character development is missing -- and instead, we get extended action sequences. Not a good trade-off. (And watch it subtitled, not dubbed. The dubbed voices seem off, though this is a series-wide problem.)
  2. BillG.
    Jun 26, 2003
    I'm a long time fan of the series and own the dvd collection, but the movie debut was some what of a dissapointment. For one thing you would expect fluid frame rates for a feature film, not cheap animation tricks that eat up time (sorry but this is only acceptable in a tv series). Would of been nice to see some special treatment to the animation, but instead we get a 2 hour episode I'm a long time fan of the series and own the dvd collection, but the movie debut was some what of a dissapointment. For one thing you would expect fluid frame rates for a feature film, not cheap animation tricks that eat up time (sorry but this is only acceptable in a tv series). Would of been nice to see some special treatment to the animation, but instead we get a 2 hour episode of bop that for the most part drags, building up expectations of depth which never get delivered. And the jazzy style we're so used to is replaced by a mixture of uninspired styles that dont fit with the original feel of the series. Expand

There are so many good ideas at the visual level that you can't help wishing the narrative elements had been more cleverly worked out.
  2. Reviewed by: Janet Kim
    Americanized through western showdowns, shadowy film noir, gangster shootings, sci-fi, Bruckheimer explosions, slapstick, and soaps, Bebop aims to transcend its own genre by emulating all genres, and it falls short only in the melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    If you want state of the art anime that comes within spitting distance of escaping the limits of its genre, this might be your cup of bootleg sake.