Cowboys & Aliens

6.0

1. Jan 19, 2012
    I actually read the GN before watching the movie so I would have a good idea of what to expect and could see what did not translate. I don't read many GNs but I have never been so disappointed at the end of one as I was with this GN. So, by comparison, the movie is really good! They basically had an idea to work from, as provided by the GN, and then had to create everything else to makeI actually read the GN before watching the movie so I would have a good idea of what to expect and could see what did not translate. I don't read many GNs but I have never been so disappointed at the end of one as I was with this GN. So, by comparison, the movie is really good! They basically had an idea to work from, as provided by the GN, and then had to create everything else to make the movie. This is one where the movie is actually much better than the original book! Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2012
    The story line could be great but the actors were bad. Daniel Crag and Harisson Ford acted like a 10-year-old and made the film ridiculous. But I was kinda satisfied with the supporting cast.
  3. Jan 27, 2012
    I liked this movie more than I thought I would. Although it left me feeling like I needed more aliens and much less cowboys. I felt that the aliens weren't well defined. One day you could unload a full revolver into them with no effect and other times one shot could kill them. They stay underground because they don't see well in light but when they come out in bright daylight they killI liked this movie more than I thought I would. Although it left me feeling like I needed more aliens and much less cowboys. I felt that the aliens weren't well defined. One day you could unload a full revolver into them with no effect and other times one shot could kill them. They stay underground because they don't see well in light but when they come out in bright daylight they kill just as good as they do in the dark. Supposedly there's only one scout craft but they find a steam ship "500 miles away from any river big enough to hold it". The flash backs seem out of place and don't give you enough info to actually care about his past. Other than all of that it has the right amount of humor, fights, death, strange drugs, and explosions. Its a pretty good movie after you look past all the things I found wrong with it. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was ok, but hoped it would be better. Daniel Craig plays it really straight and I cared little for his character. Harrison Ford is underused. Aliens are ok, but pretty much what you expect. I felt that the cowboys never seemed to be as terrified of the aliens as they should have been. Why did Daniel Craig's gang volunteer to sacrifice themselves to distract the aliens to save a bunch of people they had never met? And Olivia Wilde emerging from the fire ... once that had happened I figured anything could happen. Expand
  5. BKM
    Feb 11, 2012
    The title tells you right up front how ridiculous this movie will be, so don't get upset if you can't take it seriously. With that being said, I found the movie to be slickly entertaining with strong performances by Ford and Craig in the lead roles. It's pure escapist entertainment despite the efforts of the entire cast to play it as serious as possible and somehow it all works.
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    This movie was very sad, exciting and thrilling. I would like to watch it again as it is very funny and sad at the same time!
  7. Apr 3, 2012
    First off, this is a 9 out of 10 Movie. Acting is good. Everyone does good. Score is really good. Story is good. This movie has quiet a good story. Also the visual effects, set pieces, and action sequences are really good. Overall, this is a great movie. Title sounds stupid, but it still delivers.
  8. Apr 6, 2012
    It's about time we had an new and original idea for a western! I admit, I was a bit hesitant - How could they possibly mix the two... but it came together and created what I crave most - something NEW!
  9. Apr 12, 2012
    Cowboys & Aliens is a good western (with cool sci-fi stuff thrown in), for some reason it reminds me of transformers, I think it's the action in it, stuff explodes, people scream, you know what I mean. Basically, it's a fun western with aliens thrown in, I think anybody that likes those sort of things should watch it, it seems like a Micheal bay film but a bit better.
  10. Apr 20, 2012
    This is by no means an amazing film. The plot is mostly predictable, the dialogue is cliched, the characters are pretty bland. However this does not make it a bad film. The performances from Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig were surprisingly good and the action scenes were mildly exciting. All in all, a film that can provide some light entertainment. However if you're looking for a groundThis is by no means an amazing film. The plot is mostly predictable, the dialogue is cliched, the characters are pretty bland. However this does not make it a bad film. The performances from Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig were surprisingly good and the action scenes were mildly exciting. All in all, a film that can provide some light entertainment. However if you're looking for a ground breaking film, look elsewhere. Expand
  11. May 14, 2012
    Cowboys and Aliens is a lot better than I thought it would be. Sure, the mixing of genres doesn't seem ideal, but who are we to judge? Its enjoyable, its fun- what more can we ask of it?
  12. Jun 29, 2012
    Cowboys and Aliens is a film about farmers with RPGS fighting an earth shattering war against aliens that supposedly kill people with the giant penises according to my brother and his friend. I got bored as soon as the first load of of bandits came along after Daniel Craig tried to get Ben 10's omnitrix off his arm. I didn't really know what was going on and am curerently writing thisCowboys and Aliens is a film about farmers with RPGS fighting an earth shattering war against aliens that supposedly kill people with the giant penises according to my brother and his friend. I got bored as soon as the first load of of bandits came along after Daniel Craig tried to get Ben 10's omnitrix off his arm. I didn't really know what was going on and am curerently writing this review while watching the film. Everyone has the same Cowboy personalities we've seen before and I now wish I was watching a film about Farmer John and his RPGn taking on the blind Alien Paedophiles in an Earth shattering war. This emotional bit on right now with Farmer John 2 dying only means my brother going on about how he hates this film and Farther John being kidnapped and sexually abused by the Aliens. I'm bored now Expand
  13. Aug 10, 2012
    Fun popcorn summer movie, nothing more and nothing less. The fact that five writers are credited with script credits likely leads to the film's muddied plot.
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    So much has been made of this film but in truth, it is a pretty poor film. Daniel Craig gives a pretty good performance and obviously Olivia Wilde is gorgeous but neither is good enough to lift this film out of the dumps. I was pretty shocked considering Jon Favreau has directed some very good action films.
  15. Aug 26, 2012
    I was super excited to see 'Cowboys & Aliens'. I never read the comic book that the film was based on, but I absolutely loved the concept of cowboys duking it out with aliens. The fact that the director of 'Iron Man' was behind the director's chair also had me psyched. While I certainly got a solid movie out of it, I was expecting more. The film never is as fun as you might expect, andI was super excited to see 'Cowboys & Aliens'. I never read the comic book that the film was based on, but I absolutely loved the concept of cowboys duking it out with aliens. The fact that the director of 'Iron Man' was behind the director's chair also had me psyched. While I certainly got a solid movie out of it, I was expecting more. The film never is as fun as you might expect, and that probably has to do with how serious the film is in tone. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig are great, the special effects are pretty good, and the blending of western and science fiction elements is done well. If the film let itself loose and didn't take itself as serious as it did, it could have been a lot more fun. With that being said, it's a fine film overall. Expand
  16. Oct 3, 2012
    It was Better than I thought but still was not good. Cowboys a Aliens 5.5/10
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    The plot is preposterous, and at times the performances are a little more serious than they should be, but I still had fun watching it. Favreau is the man for the job here.
  18. Nov 7, 2012
    Cowboys & Aliens is a bit of a mixed bag. It opens strong with a distinct western flavor but when the aliens turn up, it gets a bit choppier. I love sci-fi, but I can't help thinking that Cowboys & Aliens was a lot more interesting when it was just Cowboys. That said, it's uniqueness pulls it through and it winds up as a solid splurge of B-movie shlock.
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    It's two top-billed actors give it their best, but it's almost not enough to save this movie from the ridiculous elements that run rampant throughout it.
  20. Jan 10, 2013
    I actually liked this. I found the concept extremely interesting, I had no idea what to expect from combining two polar opposite genres, the Western and Sci-fi, but overall, this worked I thought. This film is much more Western than Sci-Fi, and I think that one of the best things about it. The characters, story, setting, scenery, cinematography, dialogue...it's all very western, which II actually liked this. I found the concept extremely interesting, I had no idea what to expect from combining two polar opposite genres, the Western and Sci-fi, but overall, this worked I thought. This film is much more Western than Sci-Fi, and I think that one of the best things about it. The characters, story, setting, scenery, cinematography, dialogue...it's all very western, which I really liked. Aliens capture some civilians, and some citizens go to the rescue. It's simple and it worked. The characters are completely likable, and the cast is brilliant, all giving good performances. Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell, Paul Dano, Olivia Wilde...they were all excellently cast, and they deliver! The cinematography and costumes were good. And the special effects were good! So overall, I have very little to complain about! Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2012
    Based on a recent graphic novel of the same name, the concept of cowboys battling aliens is certainly a novel one but it doesn't really work for me. I expected more intrigue from a screenwriting team including Damon Lindelof. What you get if you cross a John Wayne film with Independence Day

I'm not sure if Jon Favreau and Universal Studios were trying to pitch this as a new Indiana Jones but Daniel Craig is not nearly likeable enough with his stereotypically surly cowboy. Ford is suitably gritty as the veteran gun-slinger finding his softer side. Granted there are some exciting scenes but overall it falls pretty flat in merging the two polar genres. One scene where Craig carries Olivia Wilde in his arms until he collapses in exhaustion simply made me want to watch True Grit instead.
  22. Dec 28, 2012
    Although Cowboys and Aliens featured some decent performances, it lacked the energy of a good action flick or the intellectual depth of a decent sci-fi film.
  23. Jan 15, 2013
    Common sense is not welcome in a movie called
  24. Jan 23, 2013
    It is an entertaining film, has its dull moments, but overall okay.
  25. Feb 14, 2013
    I loved this movie! It`s a much more of an original idea then most of the same old same crap out there.It`s funny how crap like "Cabin in the Woods", get a high rating, but a fun movie like this gets trashed.
  26. Mar 17, 2013
    As a western, it works. As a sci-fi, it doesn't. A movie that by its very name you would think would have more fun with the concept. Instead they actually take themselves a bit too seriously trying desperately to merge two genres that usually wouldn't work. It does kind of work, but what we get is a movie that just feels like it can't decide who its appealing to: Fans of Westerns, or fansAs a western, it works. As a sci-fi, it doesn't. A movie that by its very name you would think would have more fun with the concept. Instead they actually take themselves a bit too seriously trying desperately to merge two genres that usually wouldn't work. It does kind of work, but what we get is a movie that just feels like it can't decide who its appealing to: Fans of Westerns, or fans of Sci-fis. Harrison Ford really seams to be not even trying in this movie, but it was kind of fun seeing him play a bad guy for a change. Overall: A movie that boasted more than it could possibly deliver and that perhaps could have been better had they turned up the comedy a bit. Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2013
    Besides a few corny moments Cowboys & Aliens is a fun interesting ride of two unlikely foes. Jon Favreau mixes classical western and sci- fiction quite well even when the story can at times be dull.
  28. Mar 31, 2013
    I don't care that it's got a silly title. "Cowboys & Aliens" is a straight-up super-sized platter of undiluted entertainment. Jon Favreau deftly weaves together the iconic genres of Western and sci-fi in a seamless plot that has fun with all the cliches and tropes of both worlds while making their mixing feel authentic and honest and it is just awesome. This is the kind of fun-lovingI don't care that it's got a silly title. "Cowboys & Aliens" is a straight-up super-sized platter of undiluted entertainment. Jon Favreau deftly weaves together the iconic genres of Western and sci-fi in a seamless plot that has fun with all the cliches and tropes of both worlds while making their mixing feel authentic and honest and it is just awesome. This is the kind of fun-loving action picture that I just die for. The effects are great, the scenery is spectacular, the vision is huge, the performances are lovely, the music is cool, and it's got friggin' Harrison Ford in a ten-gallon shooting aliens. How the hell can that not be fun? People can whine and moan about how stupid this movie is all they want they're missing the point. My absolute enduring favorite movies are always the ones that take themselves seriously while having total fun with themselves (ahem, "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns"). And this flick delivered that in total spades. Expand
  29. Mar 31, 2013
    Interesante mezcla de géneros. Western y ciencia ficción. E igual de interesante mezclar a Indiana Jones y James Bond, además de Trece la doctora bisexual de House.
    Entretenimiento y lección al verdadero rol paterno.
  30. Apr 6, 2013
    Cowboys and Aliens is dazzling as VFX if you add but people that work at Empire Magazine that say this movie is good and giving it a 80 is never worth it. I have watched so much movies in my live but never seen someone making a mock of Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig so bad and adding aliens in the plot. Jon Faverau has made a great movie called Iron Man, so why doesn't he keep makingCowboys and Aliens is dazzling as VFX if you add but people that work at Empire Magazine that say this movie is good and giving it a 80 is never worth it. I have watched so much movies in my live but never seen someone making a mock of Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig so bad and adding aliens in the plot. Jon Faverau has made a great movie called Iron Man, so why doesn't he keep making movies like that!? I mean the story and plot were okay and the acting was brilliant but nothing more! It's bland through 15 minutes and bores! Craig doesn't do that well as an outlaw! The plot was dumb and good at the same time. ONE TIME WATCH ONLY. Expand
  31. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being one of Hollywood's top directors today after directing the two successful 'Iron Man' movies, Jon Favreau has now turned his direction to aliens in a western world and 'Cowboys and Aliens' is the product. Cowboys and Aliens is an American Western Science-Fiction movie and starring talented actors like Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford and Sam Rockwell.

The film's main plot favours simplicity instead of complexity, it is 'grabbing' instead or 'challenging' or to easily put-Cowboys and Aliens never offers much fresh or colossal contents. The story: in the creators' 'creative' imagination, the inhabitants of the invaded town got abducted by Aliens. So Jake Lonergan (Played by Daniel Craig), an amnesiac outlaw, joins up with a posse to rescue the captured people. Heard before? Repetitive? Formulaic much?

The thing which troubled me the most is the image of the 'alien'. It is neither intelligent looking nor it is interesting to look at; it is just as good as other beasts or monsters in any mediocre films, and it leads to a conclusion that it's intelligence and the looks of the alien, simply doesn't matched. Bloodcurdling or 'smart' looking would be there in my expectations but the aliens in the movie declined to touch me.

The performances are above-average. Daniel Craig, being a skillful actor, is raw, wild and genuinely appealing. I would not be pleased to mention that his work for this film is admirable or solid, but he is undeniably well equipped with charisma and for any actors, that mentioned skill is hugely important. Harrison Ford's contribution is as important as Craig's in this one. Ford is greatly appealing too, and his skills for acting are very much in evidence here. Other actors and actresses too deliver fine performances but Paul Dano somewhat disappoints me here. After showing somehow a great performance in There Will Be Blood, Paul Dano sells an acting show which I would say, mediocre, and I feel like I'm being hit. I expected more from him.

I'm very much in love with the settings of this movie. I adore on how the filmmakers captured the beautiful images of the western world and needless to say, the greatest element of Cowboys and Aliens is the sublime shots that the filmmakers have captured.

Despite being flawed, I believe that this movie is still a fun ride. Formulaic? Yes it is. But sometimes, formulaic stuffs could capture my attention as they are very easy to follow.

[2/4]

(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall) (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall)
  32. Jun 13, 2013
    I love Westerns and I love Science Fiction and movies from both genres that are fun. Conceptually this is a great idea mixing the genres as they have done. My initial review is that it begins very well, sags in the middle, then picks up in the final few acts.

The special effects are very well done. I really enjoy the design of the aliens. They are menacing and threatening with no regard for human life. The acting is very well done. Both Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig offer believable characters that are not one dimensional. Both men are tough, full of pride and though they are on different sides of the issue at the start of the movie it is not so easy to distinguish the typical western good guy from the bad guy. The plot is creative and they way typical adversaries in western movies all come together to battle the aliens flows well into the story and is not forced and artificial.

Once the aliens arrive and the back story of Daniel Craig's character is explored is when the movie begins to sag. Other things also happen that slows down the pacing of the movie. One event is the revelation of another alien which is used to explain the motive of the invading aliens. I think they could have found another way for exposition and it would have quicken the pacing. The other reason the middle of the movie sags is that many scenes take place in the dark and it is difficult to view what was happening. I wish movie makers would lighten night scenes just a bit so we the viewer could see a bit more of what is going on.

The final confrontation with the aliens is when the movie come back to life and returns to the pacing and quality story telling that it began with. Although a bit uneven all in all the movie does deliver an exciting, fun and gritty combination of the two genres.
  33. Aug 3, 2013
    First off, let me just say that the scenery, the cast, and the effects are all fantastic! Unfortunately, it's the pace and story that seems to doom the movie. The first quarter of the movie gets off too a strong start, but somewhere at about the halfway mark it grows slow and redundant.

The first couple action scenes are very unique and intense as you would expect due to the plot, although the aliens themselves are somewhat comical looking and could've been better. The movie also suffers from a lackluster 25 minute action scene at the end. In all honesty, the scene dragged on way longer than I wanted it to and I found myself not even caring about the outcome.

It's not a awful movie, I just expected a lot more. It may also be one of those movies that is better to catch on cable instead of going out to rent.
  34. Sep 9, 2013
    Cowboys and Aliens cannot bother to make you care about the characters, and halfway in you lose all interest to the story whatsoever. Although the action is riveting and quite well filmed. Sam Rockwell is very good as the doctor who can't shoot anything and is undoubtedly the best thing about the film. Cowboys and Aliens has a weak story and annoying characters but makes up for that byCowboys and Aliens cannot bother to make you care about the characters, and halfway in you lose all interest to the story whatsoever. Although the action is riveting and quite well filmed. Sam Rockwell is very good as the doctor who can't shoot anything and is undoubtedly the best thing about the film. Cowboys and Aliens has a weak story and annoying characters but makes up for that by having exciting action sequences and surprisingly good CGI. Expand
  35. Sep 26, 2013
    The metascore (as of September 26, 2013) is completely right, giving this movie a 50. It was neither good nor bad, right smack dab in the middle of average films. Ford and Craig are good actors, if not great, but they're stranded in weak material.
  36. Nov 23, 2013
    The movie has a very interesting concept and some nice actors, but it is pretty boring. Also the events happening along the storyline seem stupid and not logical just like in some B-class Sci Fi movie.
  37. Apr 2, 2014
    Pretty stupid movie if you ask me. I mean Aliens? Probably one of the most cliche thing to have in movies nowadays; and it's even worse when you mix it with an extremely unfitting theme for aliens: cowboys. In some ways I could see some of this being a somewhat decent concept, but overall it just fell flat and made this awful movie. The only thing I probably liked in this film was thatPretty stupid movie if you ask me. I mean Aliens? Probably one of the most cliche thing to have in movies nowadays; and it's even worse when you mix it with an extremely unfitting theme for aliens: cowboys. In some ways I could see some of this being a somewhat decent concept, but overall it just fell flat and made this awful movie. The only thing I probably liked in this film was that some locations were pretty cool and the acting was alright (Harrison Ford is great of course). But overall this film was pretty bad and just tried too hard to be a sophisticated Alien film but overall it was just stupid. I would never recommend this abomination of a film in a million years. Expand
  38. May 25, 2014
    I really wanted to see this movie when it was first coming out because i love both western and alien movies oh yeah plus the lovely Olivia Wilde. Sadly this movie was just crap. The movie was one predictable event after another i think i called out at least 10 things that ended up happening. The cast was the only good thing though with actors such as Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, OliviaI really wanted to see this movie when it was first coming out because i love both western and alien movies oh yeah plus the lovely Olivia Wilde. Sadly this movie was just crap. The movie was one predictable event after another i think i called out at least 10 things that ended up happening. The cast was the only good thing though with actors such as Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Sam Rockwell, Clancy Brown, Adam Beach, Paul Dano, Walton Goggins its was a shame that with that many great actors the film didnt turn out better. The plot was stupid and pointless writing was terrible but i will say the CGI was good also the aliens looked so lame.

Overall i give it a 5.0 i was going to give it 4 stars but that was before i seen that the dog didnt die so i was nice and gave them a star for that.
  39. Nov 12, 2014
    Good cast and visuals and rest is waste. A good mixing genre doesn't mean to be a good results overall. Let's talk about antagonists which are aliens in the film, no characterisation for them... I mean nothing at all. They are just toys to complete the film. Hard to believe, terrible dialogues or I would like to say the whole screenplay with amateurish editing... It was an experiment toGood cast and visuals and rest is waste. A good mixing genre doesn't mean to be a good results overall. Let's talk about antagonists which are aliens in the film, no characterisation for them... I mean nothing at all. They are just toys to complete the film. Hard to believe, terrible dialogues or I would like to say the whole screenplay with amateurish editing... It was an experiment to blend western and science fiction genres which results into a long, boring, bland and bad Jon Favreau's inferior film. He spent his energy into it rather than Iron man-3. Expand
  40. Dec 25, 2014
    This movie is an interesting mix of 2 genres that have nothing in common.There is a lot of action and the citing is good,the special effects are really good and the aliens are frightening.
  41. Jul 26, 2015
    Despite the silly and potentially fun premise, Cowboys and Aliens takes itself too seriously and because of it ends up being stale and even boring instead of a goofy and insane good time that it could have been
  42. Dec 22, 2015
    "Cowboys & Aliens " was a startling idea of tesos of science fiction, but ended up being an embarrassment that the movie was very boring but excel visual effects and work of Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.
  43. Jan 6, 2016
    In a movie called Cowboys & Aliens, let's just expect some action with the cowboys against the aliens. Then again... Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford saved the movie from me giving this movie a score of 4.
  44. Feb 28, 2016
    Rather refreshingly what-you-see-is-exactly-what-you-get: a western with aliens grafted on, or a sci-fi invasion film with cowboys grafted on--nothing more, nothing less.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-7060f-Cowboys-Aliens-movie-online-free-putlocker.html

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Aug 1, 2011
    A simple entertainment in a summer of overcomplicated disappointments. Also much harder-edged than you may have expected.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 31, 2011
    That is what kids will come away with, together with a dose of wishful thinking: the vague belief that, with good will and a foe from far away, all those feuding parties of the Wild West - the cowboys, the Indians, and the no-good rogues - could have settled their differences and got along just fine. Go tell it to Gary Cooper.
    An agreeable time-killer, but I'll bet a couple of clever kids could make a livelier movie with a Woody puppet and a Predator doll.