CQ

6.7

1. Bruno
    Nov 23, 2002
    It's getting better all the time.
  2. ChadS.
    Aug 7, 2002
    "CQ" will make young film enthusiasts, like myself, wish we weren't born so late. To trade the memory of hearing Haircut One Hundred for the first time with seeing "Breathless" at a first-run theater would be great, but alas, Francois Truffaut was that guy from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" before we saw "The 400 Blows" on the Betamax format. "CQ" is more style than substance, "CQ" will make young film enthusiasts, like myself, wish we weren't born so late. To trade the memory of hearing Haircut One Hundred for the first time with seeing "Breathless" at a first-run theater would be great, but alas, Francois Truffaut was that guy from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" before we saw "The 400 Blows" on the Betamax format. "CQ" is more style than substance, but there's just enough of the latter to make this triumph of art direction and production design, not completely usurp our affection for the young filmmaker's bout with tunnel vision to be a man of vision, an auteur. Jeremy Davis doesn't blend into the background. He's self-absorbed and yet we like his dream better than his girlfriend. We hope the critics in the makeshift screening room at a second-class hotel, which is hosting a film festival for auteurs, like his movie. The moment is so lovingly rendered, you want to be there; holding the filmmaker's hand if you're a girl, or patting him on the back if you're a boy. "CQ" is like that. It will evoke nostalgia, or false nostalgia, depending on your age, but quasi or not, the yearning is a real one if you love movies, which Roman Coppola must certainily do. Expand
  3. BrianA.
    Jul 1, 2005
    This movie is amazingly under appreciated. There are so many aspects that lleft this viewer with a giddy feeling throughout. the music, superbly scored by Mellow, with a few classic french pop songs thrown in, is great. I bought the soundtrack as soon as I left the theater. There are two films within the film; one is a sci-fi epic in the vein of Barabarella, which is hilariously on key, This movie is amazingly under appreciated. There are so many aspects that lleft this viewer with a giddy feeling throughout. the music, superbly scored by Mellow, with a few classic french pop songs thrown in, is great. I bought the soundtrack as soon as I left the theater. There are two films within the film; one is a sci-fi epic in the vein of Barabarella, which is hilariously on key, the other is the main characters' personal documentary, and is a perfect satire of pretentious film making. Expand
  4. JayH.
    Apr 6, 2008
    This movie has some hits as well as some misses. Roman Coppola's is ambitious but his direction is unpolished. He complicates the film more than he needed too. Decent effort to recreate the era, and I liked the art direction and score. Giancarlo Giannini is memorable.
  5. MichaelF.
    May 27, 2002
    Good dialouge, directing, screenplay, art direction, acting. I know that the film is about a man who is lost, but it seems like director/writer Roman Coppola is lost as well, the movie goes nowhere and says nothing. It's fun though. The ending wrapped it up pretty well though.
  6. BrianR.
    Jun 10, 2002
    Boring lead and weak script. Visuals aren't bad. Too disjointed to enjoy.

May not make the splash it should; films about moviemaking rarely do. And that would be a shame, because the contrasts the director sets in motion and keeps playing against each other make an entertaining wrestling match.
  2. Coppola's satirical debut movie is too ambitious for its own good. The cast is good, though, and ambition isn't the worst fault a fledgling filmmaker can have.
    It may not be art, but it's vastly more entertaining than anything Coppola senior has done in far too long.