Crazy Heart

7.5

1. Dec 23, 2010
    I rented this movie on blue ray. I had to turn it off 1/2 way through the picture and send it back - it was that bad! This type of movie gets publicity from review whores who all jump to try to outsmart the other critics, but in the end, the critics are all full of s--t! This movie sucks!
  2. roberti.
    Jan 17, 2010
    A small film that captures the unlikely fire and light between two characters in need of each other.
  3. carols
    Jan 8, 2010
    Jeff Bridges is mesmerizing as Bad Blake. A movie about a down and out mid-lifer can be cliche but Crazy Heart, and more accurately Bridges, brings a realism and depth to the nuances of addiction. Will someone give this man an Oscar please?!
  4. ROBERTM
    Jan 10, 2010
    Jeff Bridges makes Bad Blake come alive. Maggie Gyllenhaal is the perfect victim who always falls for the "bad boy" who breaks her heart. Robert Duvall is the ideal vehicle for being the channel for Otis Blake's redemption. All in all a very satisfying movie. REM
  5. DerekB.
    Jan 19, 2010
    A perfectly crafted film. Beautifully written, acted, and directed. Bravo.
  6. KennethS
    Feb 15, 2010
    I've seen and heard this story before many times, but Mr. Bridges' and Mrs. Gyllenhaal's performances seem both effortless and truly moving. They are the beating heart of a wonderfully written song which, in the end, is neither happy nor sad, but everything in between.
  7. LornaS
    Feb 28, 2010
    A terrific character study from Jeff Bridges,in which he gets inside the skin of Bad Blake.Even the songs fit him perfectly. The one negative about this film,unfortunately,is a big one.It is the unconvincing love story,made worse by the cute kid storyline.More of Colin Farrell's character would have been more interesting,plus adding more to our understanding of Bad.
  8. JamesH
    Mar 15, 2010
    The storyline of this movie is nearly identical to last year's "The Wrestler". Both movies are good, but "The Wrestler" is better, and Mickey Rourke's performance is amazing. This one doesn't quite reach that level but the writing and acting is good throughout. I'm a big fan of "the Dude" Jeff Bridges so I'm glad he won the Oscar for this performance. Way overdue.
  9. duane
    Apr 25, 2010
    There is more truth on the screen in this film than I've seen in years. At one point I could swear I smelled the alcoholic stench of Bad Blake (Bridges).
  10. FranceL.
    Dec 29, 2009
    Featuring an Oscar worthy performance by the talented, underrated Jeff Bridges, this is the painful story of one man's path from self destruction to self redemption. Maggie Gyllenhaall and Colin Farrell add solid backup and the soundtrack is a winner.
  11. StephenD.
    Jan 12, 2010
    A perfectly crafted film - Jeff Bridges is amazing and seamlessly transforms himself into the character - great music - great story - for me, the most satisfying film of 2009.
  12. EdM.
    Jan 18, 2010
    Not much new here -- seen this story before -- but well done.
  13. Qwerty
    Jan 24, 2010
    That's an 8 for the film overall, a mere 6 or 7 for the plot, a 9 for Gyllenhaal, and an all-out 10 for Bridges and the music. It's a toe-tapper/thigh-slapper all the way through.
  14. BillyS.
    Feb 15, 2010
    Jeff Bridges - that's all you need to know to go see this movie. The actor who's been around forever and forever doing Iconic performances from The Last Picture Show, Tucker, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Fearless, and "The Dude" in The Big Lebowski now adds Crazy Heart to his resume, and it will be known as his Signature performance. Bad Blake is acting perfection and the Academy Jeff Bridges - that's all you need to know to go see this movie. The actor who's been around forever and forever doing Iconic performances from The Last Picture Show, Tucker, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Fearless, and "The Dude" in The Big Lebowski now adds Crazy Heart to his resume, and it will be known as his Signature performance. Bad Blake is acting perfection and the Academy will finally engrave Jeff Bridges for Best Actor in a Leading Role on the Oscar he richly deserves and has been robbed of so many times before. Expand
  15. jennym
    Feb 17, 2010
    I loved this movie I think Jeff Bridges played the best movie role he ever has. This movie suited him like no other role ever has.If he dont get an award for this movie then he has been cheated. Even his voice when singing is amazing. Wonderful job Jeff. I am going to watch it again which i seldom ever watch a movie twice. Loved it.
  16. KimC.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Outstanding film! Story line, characterization, dialogue, acting.... all believable, consistent, authentic... The film was deep, vivid, heartbreaking and hopeful. Bridges was outstanding, I felt like I knew Mr. Blake personally. AND the music and singing were top notch and I'm not a big fan of C&W
  17. Aug 13, 2010
    Crazy Heart is a real American movie, it's not a remake or reboot. It's original work that needs to be seen. Of all the generic movies of violence and bad storytelling it's very refreshing to see a movie that cares for its characters and plot. Crazy Heart tells the story of Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges) a washed-out country singer who's not a very likeable guy. He curses, drinks, and veryCrazy Heart is a real American movie, it's not a remake or reboot. It's original work that needs to be seen. Of all the generic movies of violence and bad storytelling it's very refreshing to see a movie that cares for its characters and plot. Crazy Heart tells the story of Bad Blake (Jeff Bridges) a washed-out country singer who's not a very likeable guy. He curses, drinks, and very lazy. He use to be the top dog in country but we can just tell he screw that up. His agent clearly forces him and yells at him to get up and do a performance and not to f@#k it up. He refuses to collaborate with another country singer named Tommy Sweet (Colin Farrell) which we get a notion of a disagreement between them from the past. Bridges performance is so good that we can tell the age of experience from his actions and mannerisms. We can tell his sadness from his actions with the way he acts and his judgments. All of these things start to change once he meet Jean Craddock (Maggie Gyllenhaal) a writer and her son. At first is sexual but then he starts falling for her and for his son. He decides to reinvent his life and people it's not easy for him. Bridge's performance is downright awesome and finally the recognition he deserves. He comes from a huge career of movies and he nailed this one. He created a character that was believable. There were times when we wanted to cry for him and when we were angry with him. The supporting cast was very good as well. Gyllenhaal was very good and gave a very good supportive role. Colin Farrell as well who does more action flicks shows that he has more meaning and dramatic depths. Yeah the plot is familiar with music stars but the performances form the actors rise to another level. I think this movie shines a light on movies where we lost the effect that movie does for us. This is a movie who has important things to say, films are suppose to be teach aspects of life and to entertain. Some movies are satires and some movies are protests. You want to know what Crazy Heart teaches, see it yourself and let it teach you. One of the best films of 2009. Expand
  18. Jun 19, 2011
    Crazy Heart might not break new ground, but it's a satisfying experience for the two lead performance. Bridges is totally worthy of his Oscar win as a down and out drunk and former music legend, and Maggie Gyllenhaal has never given a performance this good. On the other hand the great Robert Duvall as a supporting performance is woefully underused, and Colin Farell is just okay as aCrazy Heart might not break new ground, but it's a satisfying experience for the two lead performance. Bridges is totally worthy of his Oscar win as a down and out drunk and former music legend, and Maggie Gyllenhaal has never given a performance this good. On the other hand the great Robert Duvall as a supporting performance is woefully underused, and Colin Farell is just okay as a protegee that has surprassed Bridges in star power. This is a good little film, definetly worth watching. Collapse
  19. Jan 7, 2011
    Understated, genteel movie making. Relationships realistically portrayed, without melodrama. Sad, but not at all maudlin. Not at all a blockbuster, just a great little film. Very pretty cinematography too.
  20. Nov 24, 2010
    Crazy Heart is a superbly acted movie that transcends the story. Any less of a performance by Jeff Bridges or Maggie Gyllenhaal would have made this a sub-par film. Story-wise it never connects with me. Not enough time is spent on specific emotional elements between Bad and Tommy, Bad and his son or even Bad and Jean. However, you can extract the pain from Jeff's performance alone. HeCrazy Heart is a superbly acted movie that transcends the story. Any less of a performance by Jeff Bridges or Maggie Gyllenhaal would have made this a sub-par film. Story-wise it never connects with me. Not enough time is spent on specific emotional elements between Bad and Tommy, Bad and his son or even Bad and Jean. However, you can extract the pain from Jeff's performance alone. He was extremely worthy of his Best Actor Oscar. While I've seen him in a rugged role before, he takes a character that is clearly meant to exhibit a painful presence and, in spite of the strength of the story, makes you see and almost feel his pain. Expand
  21. Jan 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dude is the Dude. Bridges: he makes all the difference in this movie. There are many similar movies to Crazy Heart, but Bad Blake's history is unique for Bridges' ability to portray an old country star whose best days are long gone and their place is taken by alcohol. It's worthy to see just for the few scenes with Bridges and Duvall together: they are great actors because when they act they seem no actors at all. Expand
  22. Jul 31, 2013
    Jeff Bridges is most deserving of his Oscar for this role. The music works wonderfully to help tell the story of this man, and shows just how powerful a lyric can be. A very moving movie.
  23. Nov 12, 2012
    You take a thoroughly realistic yet original plot, combine it with brilliant acting, and you get a stunning motion picture. Jeff Bridges deserved the Oscar and then some. I really loved this.
  24. Feb 24, 2013
    Although it treads familiar territory, I really don't care because Crazy Heart is so well done that it's easily one of the most effective and satisfying films of its kind in years. The performances are great; Maggie Gyllenhaal is great (as usual), well deserving of her Oscar nom., and Jeff Bridges is brilliant and completely deserved his Oscar for Best Actor. Also, two key supportingAlthough it treads familiar territory, I really don't care because Crazy Heart is so well done that it's easily one of the most effective and satisfying films of its kind in years. The performances are great; Maggie Gyllenhaal is great (as usual), well deserving of her Oscar nom., and Jeff Bridges is brilliant and completely deserved his Oscar for Best Actor. Also, two key supporting characters played by Robert Duvall and Colin Farrell really knock the film out of park. Solid script, great music, perfect cast, Crazy Heart is one of the best films of 2009. Expand
  25. Jul 6, 2014
    This Scott Cooper film without Jeff Bridges would be nothing, Jeff Bridges puts on the best performance of his career, and gets some nice supporting backup from the rest of the talented cast: Colin Farrell, Maggie Gylenhaal and Robert Duvall
  26. Mar 15, 2015
    Jeff Bridges pulls off a pretty good performance in Crazy Heart. I find this performance a little overrated as the whole cowboy role is a role Bridges has been known to play on many occasions. He won an Oscar for best actor in a weak year but don't get me wrong his performance is still strong. I just wasn't blown away by it. Crazy Heart is interesting but certainly slow, I understand thatJeff Bridges pulls off a pretty good performance in Crazy Heart. I find this performance a little overrated as the whole cowboy role is a role Bridges has been known to play on many occasions. He won an Oscar for best actor in a weak year but don't get me wrong his performance is still strong. I just wasn't blown away by it. Crazy Heart is interesting but certainly slow, I understand that its not for everyone. Bridges bond with the young boy in the film is really cute and the music is really good too. Who knew Colin Farrell could sing so well. Expand

1. Bridges' guileless performance makes this piquant little indie tale of country music, redemption, and the love of a pretty younger woman such a sad-song charmer.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Crazy Heart gets to you like a good country song--not because it tells you something new, but because it tells it well. It's the singer, not the song.
  3. Crazy Heart lacks that spark of originality. So what Fox Searchlight has salvaged essentially is a highly watchable performance by Bridges, one of many he has furnished throughout a long career.