7.5

1. LolM
    Jan 24, 2010
    Someone pulled this plot out of a drawer and decided to use it once more. It is hackneyed. Bridges was great. Scenery also. But the script was tired. Robert Duvall was an alcoholic country western singer in Tender Mercies -- great plot, great music. See it.
  2. LisaC.
    Feb 15, 2010
    So disappointed in this movie. I agree that Maggie G. was miscasted, as others do. Despite Jeff Bridges doing a good job in the role, the characters really don't evolve and it is drawn out. Had really looked forward to this.
  3. Sep 19, 2010
    Crazyheart is a reasonably well-made film,but not worthy of an 83 rating. The pacing is uneven and even feels a bit lethargic in spots. Bridges is good but not truly outstanding in this part,but then the character is incomplete. A common occurrence in films today. We see the surface behavior but hardly any explanation for the self-destructive tendencies. Sometimes critics are veryCrazyheart is a reasonably well-made film,but not worthy of an 83 rating. The pacing is uneven and even feels a bit lethargic in spots. Bridges is good but not truly outstanding in this part,but then the character is incomplete. A common occurrence in films today. We see the surface behavior but hardly any explanation for the self-destructive tendencies. Sometimes critics are very demanding and want all those bells and whistles and othertimes the film and the performers get a pass.Looks like they were in a good mood here. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    Crazy Heart is a mediocre movie at best - it has a solid (but not exceptional) soundtrack, but the story moves too slowly and only approaches anything close to real drama in the final 30 minutes. The cast turn in a real mixed bag of performances. Despite the acclaim he received for the role of Bad Blake, I felt Jeff Bridges tended to coast through the film, churning out a re-hash of hisCrazy Heart is a mediocre movie at best - it has a solid (but not exceptional) soundtrack, but the story moves too slowly and only approaches anything close to real drama in the final 30 minutes. The cast turn in a real mixed bag of performances. Despite the acclaim he received for the role of Bad Blake, I felt Jeff Bridges tended to coast through the film, churning out a re-hash of his washed-up loser "greatest hits". With the addition of a bored-looking Robert Duvall, and the ridiculously miscast Colin Farrell, Crazy Heart would be in danger of becoming a thoroughly unmemorable viewing experience, but thankfully it has a saving grace in a emotional, rousing performance from Maggie Gyllenhaal. Despite being a scene-stealer, her character, the single mother and music journalist Jean Craddock, makes some unbelievably poor choices of judgement that threaten to make the whole film's narrative laughable - I don't care how much you like country music, Jeanie, what on Earth would attract you that fat, alcoholic windbag in the first place, let alone make you think it was a good idea to let him look after your kid? In all fairness, Crazy Heart does get much better towards the end. From it's pretentious and plodding beginnings, it eventually becomes something watchable, has a pleasing story arc of downfall and redemption, and, perhaps most importantly, Bridges looks and sounds like a country music star. In the end, though it may have the odd glimmer of brilliance, Crazy Heart isn't anything special. If I wanted to watch an engaging and entertaining film about country music, I'd choose Walk the Line over this any day. Expand
  5. BradF
    Apr 16, 2010
    I was really looking forward to this movie and even waited until I was in the mood to take in what I expected to be an emotive, raw roller coaster. Instead I was offered a Sunday afternoon matinee with little or no ride at all. Agree Bridges did a great job in the role of Bad Blake though if no one had said he was Oscar material I wouldn't have suggested it after seeing it. I was really looking forward to this movie and even waited until I was in the mood to take in what I expected to be an emotive, raw roller coaster. Instead I was offered a Sunday afternoon matinee with little or no ride at all. Agree Bridges did a great job in the role of Bad Blake though if no one had said he was Oscar material I wouldn't have suggested it after seeing it. Disappointing in my opinion. Flat. Miscast. Oh well. Big Lebowski was ace. Expand
  6. GklkK
    Apr 26, 2010
    Sorry, Couldn't get into this story. What pretty smart young attractive, lady, would choose to be near a sweaty,smelly, dissipated, fat, boozy, old, traveling, drunk. Zero credibility for me. The story and the music was a drag.
  7. JeanS
    Feb 21, 2010
    What's all the hype about? A hackneyed plot,with little depth to flesh out the meager story-line. A hard-to-believe "relationship" between Bad and Jean - not just a lack of chemistry between the two actors, but also a lack of realness about the young mom having any interest in the seedy musician - the middle-aged female fans in the bars made more sense and were more believable. I What's all the hype about? A hackneyed plot,with little depth to flesh out the meager story-line. A hard-to-believe "relationship" between Bad and Jean - not just a lack of chemistry between the two actors, but also a lack of realness about the young mom having any interest in the seedy musician - the middle-aged female fans in the bars made more sense and were more believable. I found myself watching Maggie G. with more interest then Jeff B in the early part of the movie. All in all, I couldn't get involved in the story - and I was totally distracted by thoughts all through the movie that Jeff Bridges looked skanky, and boy, whoever dressed Maggie Gyllenhal for this part did her a major disservice. Expand
  8. JamesS
    Dec 26, 2009
    Another one of those movies where the sexy smart young woman falls for a charming unrepentingly drunken, crusty, pasty skinned, gut bag of a bitter vulgarian whose career has self destructed. Spare us next time.
  9. JoeB.
    Dec 31, 2009
    I am a musician, and have much in common with the main character. I love all the actors. That is why I am so disappointed. the story is drawn out and the characters never change in a way that makes me feel different. I can't believe Maggie in this role. Too pretty, too young, too intelligent. in short a pointless script and a directorial failure.
  10. Jul 13, 2013
    Crazy Heart is a slow, tiresome pile of country trash that falls into a depressing hole by the end. With Maggie Gyllenhaal being a miscast, the characters never connect and the movie becomes drawn out.

1. Bridges' guileless performance makes this piquant little indie tale of country music, redemption, and the love of a pretty younger woman such a sad-song charmer.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Crazy Heart gets to you like a good country song--not because it tells you something new, but because it tells it well. It's the singer, not the song.
  3. Crazy Heart lacks that spark of originality. So what Fox Searchlight has salvaged essentially is a highly watchable performance by Bridges, one of many he has furnished throughout a long career.