7.8

1. Jan 21, 2015
    Crouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depthCrouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depth whatsoever on top of extremely stupid looking martial arts like we were back in the early 80s again (but without the grit). No redeeming qualities anywhere. This one was so bad I actually walked out of the movie theater on its premiere more than a decade ago. I asked and was given a refund. I watched it entirely a few days ago and basically played with my phone the second half of the movie out of boredom. For what its worth, I like action movies but I don't need explosions and effects to find enjoyment. I need a story 1st, and then anything else is gravy... it a movie after all. If i want to look at a painting ill go do that but this is a movie and not a painting. A movie is supposed to have a story to tell otherwise there is no reason to make it into a movie aside from appeasing one inflated ego. Even if a story is non-sense it could still be interesting if characters are interesting or funny. This movie has none of that. It might as well had been told in a 10 page picture book for kids.

People need to stop selling out just to fit into the crowd. Grow a spine and call it what it is. This is a bad movie that was overrated through corporate payoffs.
  2. KevinG.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better than this. Expand
  3. yoyoma
    May 11, 2005
    Crouching story, Hidden Acting.
  4. MichaelL.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Who the hell cared about a stupid movie as this? I just dont understand why anyone would like to waste 2 hours watching a movie they cant understand with no plot whatsoever.
  5. MattH.
    Jul 11, 2003
    This movie sucks case closed.
  6. Nov 12, 2014
    To this day I still do not understand what anyone got from this movie. I waited and waited for a good scene, any good scene to arrive, then the movie abruptly ended. Worst movie I can remember seeing. "Action" movie? There is NEVER any decent action and the story is rubbish.
  7. BrainT.
    Mar 25, 2003
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I've come to realize that just because a movie is associated with an Oscar doesn't mean it's any good. This one left me with a bad taste in my mouth after believing all the hype surrounding it. I'm still wondering why this was nominated for anything.
  8. DavidE.
    Jul 26, 2001
    Ok, this movie sucks bad, first of all its not even in ENGLISH, second it is so unrealistic its just plain dumb, overall disapointment, horrible choatic fight scenes that leave you confused about what just happened.
  9. Aug 4, 2012
    Please no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I everPlease no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I ever walked out on at the cinema. I gave it a second chance on DVD, but to no avail. This motion picture is a modern day version of the emperors new clothes! People will tell you its good and give you that knowing look, as though there's some deep, wonderful secret to be found here. There isn't. The only secret is that its simply a woefully poor film. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  10. Oct 16, 2011
    I was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interestingI was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interesting would happen when I was watching this, but I couldn't, because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I couldn't exactly make out much apart from some sword, dancing through trees and some random love story, which in itself made no sense. And the ending? The worst ending in the history of the earth, a complete flop - fortunately, at least the other parts of the film were bad so it wasn't let down by the ending, although I wouldn't have minded in myself - it was so boring anyway, I didn't see why we should have turned it off while me and my family we watching before it finished. At least I got to see what sort of MASSIVE FAIL the ending was, to top it all off. Expand
  11. Apr 2, 2014
    The special effects killed it for me. It was painfully obvious they were using wires to jump around and it's like they didn't even bother to try to cover it up. Very disappointing and as another review said, I'd recommend House of Flying Daggers a heck of a lot more than this.
  12. ChunkN.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Could not even get halfway through this stupid movie.
  13. MihaG.
    May 3, 2003
    98? What the h*ll? This is the most stupid film of all times. So what if it is "foreign" and a little "different"? If you want different, grab some films from old Yugoslavia like Ko to tamo pjeva or Maratonci. Or get some Scandinavian films... But don't waste your time with this stupidity just because they threw some money in it ... They still ended up with crap.
  14. NickS
    Mar 17, 2001
    I thought this would be an entertaining popcorn film but it so wasn't. I laughed at most of the scenes and the music was so not fitting. When "We Will Rock You" started playing, it wasn't that bad because it was in the soundtrack. But then the people on-screen start clapping and stomping and SINGING, it became ridiculous. Ledger still amazes me that he has a career and Rufus I thought this would be an entertaining popcorn film but it so wasn't. I laughed at most of the scenes and the music was so not fitting. When "We Will Rock You" started playing, it wasn't that bad because it was in the soundtrack. But then the people on-screen start clapping and stomping and SINGING, it became ridiculous. Ledger still amazes me that he has a career and Rufus Sewell depresses me for being in such garbage. How he has gone from "Hamlet" to "Dark City" to this crap is beyond me. The friends of the knight are the sole entertainment in this entire film. And that is barely enough to make this film watchable. Expand
  15. TraceyM
    Apr 18, 2009
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a movie that explores the mythical side of our imagination, is something that begins to try and make our minds become a world in itself. However, was it the type of movie that is reaching for the stars when it can barely jump off the ground?
  16. DanielC.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Films like this really annoy me, simply because of the over the top fighting. If you want a good martial arts film that is recent, then watch ong bak or tom yum goong(aka the protector aka the warrior king).
  17. NickV.
    May 4, 2003
    Have fun reading the subtitles or having the voices not match the mpuths. And the story line sucks just like the movie and the one point is for it had cool action sences but story, ending, characters, and exciment is all a 0!
  18. KwanLiW.
    May 1, 2003
    Crap. i hated it. the "flying" scenes were absolutely not what they were cracked up to be. i must admit, however, the cinematography was awe-inspiring
  19. SylvaG.
    Aug 30, 2002
    The film sucks! it is more like cheese with the chinese noodle been cooked overly.
  20. RobS.
    Nov 2, 2001
    Most over-rated peice of garbage I have ever seen. Terrible king fu movie, downright stupid love story. I have no idea what everyone is raving about.
  21. JakeM.
    Nov 7, 2001
    This movie reeks! I had to turn it off after an hour of watching crap being poured into my eyes. Beautiful scenery is probably the only good thing about this movie. Stupid characters are hardly believable, and the flying, it started making me think they were in outerspace. Its cool when they float everyone once in a while, but when they play it over and over and over agian, it makes you This movie reeks! I had to turn it off after an hour of watching crap being poured into my eyes. Beautiful scenery is probably the only good thing about this movie. Stupid characters are hardly believable, and the flying, it started making me think they were in outerspace. Its cool when they float everyone once in a while, but when they play it over and over and over agian, it makes you wonder why in the hell should I finish watching the movie if all they are going to do is fly. Bottom line: don't watch this movie Expand
  22. WaltF.
    Jan 25, 2001
    Is anyone willing to admit "the emperor has no clothes?" The plot is weak and meandering, the dialog listless. The fight scenes are so artificial and contrived, the director would have been better off not editing out the cables and going for sheer comedy. Intellectual honesty, anyone?
  23. AliM.
    Jul 2, 2003
    This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, when stuff as bad as this is one of the highest scoring films ever. Expand
  24. CaseyT.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Probably the most overrated peice of garbage movie I've ever seen.
  25. BeckyW.
    Feb 17, 2001
    This is the worst movie I didn't actually walk out of. The fight scenes were unending, the romance shallow, the fantasy so fantastic that it was impossible to suspend reality enough to buy into it at all. ("Mary Poppins" was an easier sell when it came to flying.) The story was based on pulp fiction of the 1920s, not ancient oriental wisdom as some would have us believe. I can't This is the worst movie I didn't actually walk out of. The fight scenes were unending, the romance shallow, the fantasy so fantastic that it was impossible to suspend reality enough to buy into it at all. ("Mary Poppins" was an easier sell when it came to flying.) The story was based on pulp fiction of the 1920s, not ancient oriental wisdom as some would have us believe. I can't wait to see the parodies of this or was this a parody itself? Jackie Chan is much more entertaining when it comes to the martial arts. Expand
  26. Kong
    Feb 27, 2003
    Although the fight scenes were slightly cool the movie was way overrated. I nearly fell asleep watching it.
  27. JustinT.
    Jul 24, 2001
    Easily the most disappointing film I have EVER seen. The movie and story is so awful that I cringed waiting for the next fight scene; but when it finally came I was very frustrated and confused by how absurd, chaotic, and silly they were. Keanu looked much more graceful doing wire stunts.
  28. GlenS.
    Aug 1, 2001
    This movie stinks!
  29. MikeS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    This movie is absolutely horrible. There isn't a drop of reality in the thing. Don't waste your time.
  30. MarcusR
    Mar 30, 2005
    Wasn't even worth my time. What do you get from tons of stupid martial art fighting scenes, no story line and bad acting? A BAD MOVIE I can't stop reiterating how bad this movie was.
  31. JBarr
    Apr 8, 2005
    Overrated pop-culture crap. I don't care if it's from another country unless it's a good movie. Their later works of The house of Flying Daggers and Hero were a great lep ahead of this. If you were going to watch this movie, watch one of those instead.
  32. MichelleP.
    Jul 15, 2003
    I remember seeing this movie when I was in 3rd grade. Though I didn't understand it too much, I remember that it was still able to hold my attention. A few days ago I watched it and loved it even more. It's a beautiful and moving story with superb acting, good characters, beautiful forest settings, and a compelling, inspiring, and touching story. I absolutely loved it.
  33. Jan 26, 2015
    After seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn'tAfter seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn't recommend this movie, there are better martial arts/fantasy movies out there. Expand

1. Handsome, passionate and fun. It's everything we go to the movies for.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Brilliance of the action and effects are supplemented by a consistently superior and resourceful score by Tan Dun.
    The picture is more fun than it has a right to be.