7.9

1. May 1, 2016
    Hands down, the best Ang Lee movie over all. I've finally experienced his movies and it assumes his best movie is also the best movie of 2000 according to the Metascore.
  2. May 9, 2013
    I honestly headed into this film thinking that I would not like it because of the subtitles, but it was very good. Not the best movie ever, obviously, but it was very entertaining, especially once I came to understand what the characters were representing. Ang Lee did a fantastic job directing the film and all of the actors were marvelous as well.
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found itsCrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is Lee's masterpiece, and possibly his most creative film. He honors the traditional style of Chinese filmmaking with respect and careful attention to detail. It's beautiful and stunning, with memorable and expertly choreographed fighting scenes, and top-notch cinematography. Even thought the movie was translated into English for me, I still found its (translated) dialogue very well-written and well-said. Not to mention, the acting and story are pretty good as well, but not up to the level of the beauty and art side of the film. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    Brings an elegance to the martial arts movie that is of utmost significance. It is not the perfect film that the critics make it out to be, but I'm glad this film was made. It teaches us that a genre which seems flat and one-sided can be transcended and made important.
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    This is martial arts at its finest, a film where everybody is fighting for something, there is always a sense when watching a classic martial arts film that when these fight scenes happen, the artists involved appreciate and respect the skill of their enemy or counterpart, and director Ang Lee has respected this essence in this epic tale.
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of
    Not only does he create some spectacular scenes of awe and beauty, but he also has a compelling and fluid story that equally matches the action, a feat that may seem impossible, given the ambitious, heroic and gravity-defying segments that are played out as a well choreographed drama that surprises throughout, it's a riveting fantasy but also keeps a very grounded element and human touch to drive the film forward.
    The story surrounds a very ancient and sought-after sword, owned by veteran warrior Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-Fat) who is now passing it along as a gift, something that surprises many, including his fellow warrior and longtime love interest Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh). But the such a sought after sword is not safe anywhere and a cunning but unknown thief steals the sword, setting various pieces of the puzzle into place, we are also introduced to Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi), who has a deep interest in the work of the warriors, but leads a very routine life and is soon to be married. She is the dark horse of the film, where it becomes clear that all is not as it seems with this mysterious girl.
    This ties in well with the spectacular scenes of action involving roof chases, wall climbing and some very impressive sequences that were all done without computer generated actions, these actors and actresses did most of their own work, and it is the seamless motion of these moments, paired with an intriguing and in depth story that make this one of the best martial arts films ever made, it has moments of grandeur but also never let's go of its humility, which combines love, loss, anger and respect,all while also showing some groundbreaking fight sequences that will truly be viewed as unmatched.
    Great performances, excellent direction and expert cinematography which creates a mesmerising film of epic proportions, it has a simple premise but is delivered on a much broader and intertwining story arc that keeps on giving right to the credits.
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is arguably one of the finest movies ever made and it is truly a masterpiece in every aspect of film-making such as characterization, action sequences, screenplay, direction, cinematography, acting, the stoyline and the main theme of the movie. I don't remember how many times I have watched this movie and it always feels so great, gives me much satisfaction.
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    The go-to wuxia film. Lyrical and elegant, at a certain point it becomes more than just an action film with beautifully choreographed action sequences.
  8. Oct 16, 2011
    I was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interestingI was in the belief that this movie would turn out amongst the critics as a pile of worthless, tedious crap. I found myself choking on the fact that this actually did well at the box office, and even critics raved about. I've seen a lot better films in my lifetime, and yet this tops off as best compared with films I've seen which ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT. Darn it, I hoped something interesting would happen when I was watching this, but I couldn't, because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I couldn't exactly make out much apart from some sword, dancing through trees and some random love story, which in itself made no sense. And the ending? The worst ending in the history of the earth, a complete flop - fortunately, at least the other parts of the film were bad so it wasn't let down by the ending, although I wouldn't have minded in myself - it was so boring anyway, I didn't see why we should have turned it off while me and my family we watching before it finished. At least I got to see what sort of MASSIVE FAIL the ending was, to top it all off. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2011
    It goes from boring in the beginning all the way to the perfect martial arts/action movie. I found most of the martial arts scenes to be surprisingly ambitious.
  10. Oct 4, 2010
    This film really surprised me. It's very well made and stunning to watch. The scenery is spectacular, the film alone could be used as an advertisement for Tourism in China. The action sequences are unbelievable and the three main stars are very well cast. This is a visual feast.
  11. Jan 21, 2015
    Crouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depthCrouching poop is more like it. For sheep who want to belong to the hip crowd and the artsy fartsy folks with below average IQ. Clearly the reviewers were all paid off or cherry picked (Sony is notorious for fixing reviews), because they cant get average real people to positively review their garbage. Extremely boring film with nonsensical plot, uninteresting characters that have no depth whatsoever on top of extremely stupid looking martial arts like we were back in the early 80s again (but without the grit). No redeeming qualities anywhere. This one was so bad I actually walked out of the movie theater on its premiere more than a decade ago. I asked and was given a refund. I watched it entirely a few days ago and basically played with my phone the second half of the movie out of boredom. For what its worth, I like action movies but I don't need explosions and effects to find enjoyment. I need a story 1st, and then anything else is gravy... it a movie after all. If i want to look at a painting ill go do that but this is a movie and not a painting. A movie is supposed to have a story to tell otherwise there is no reason to make it into a movie aside from appeasing one inflated ego. Even if a story is non-sense it could still be interesting if characters are interesting or funny. This movie has none of that. It might as well had been told in a 10 page picture book for kids.

People need to stop selling out just to fit into the crowd. Grow a spine and call it what it is. This is a bad movie that was overrated through corporate payoffs.
  12. Mar 19, 2015
    When I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has toWhen I watch an action movie that has romance, I cringe because alot of times those two genres dont get mixed very well, but the director did such a wonderful job paying sooo much attention to the music, film setting, and the beauty that China has to offer. Yes, it is not that perfect in terms of predictability but you will get immersed in the interweaving plots that this movie has to offer. For me, it was quite relatable from the lessons that the director tried to convey. The fight scenes are of course classic and the acting is alright.

I'm giving this a 10 because this is a unique film in its genre that gives a real story instead of just 2 hrs of hardcore action
  13. Sep 16, 2014
    I must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, aI must have seen a different movie. Many of my friends praise this as the ultimate (and poetic) martial arts movie. For me the movie was just above average. The story is nothing special for me. I will even say it was boring some times. The pictures are fantastic and the soundtrack is good. The martial art scenes are good too and Chow Yun Fat is always a bonus point. The actors are good, a solid performance from everyone. Overall I find the movie is a bit overrated but by all standards no failure. I would give 6,5 /10 so that means rounded up 7/10. Expand
  14. Apr 14, 2013
    I found it a little overrated. It wasn't as astonishing as I had expected. A little better than a so-so one for me. That's it. Some predictable stuff and not so amazing story to me.
  15. Nov 12, 2014
    To this day I still do not understand what anyone got from this movie. I waited and waited for a good scene, any good scene to arrive, then the movie abruptly ended. Worst movie I can remember seeing. "Action" movie? There is NEVER any decent action and the story is rubbish.
  16. Aug 4, 2012
    Please no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I everPlease no, make it stop. When the most over-rated director of all time is let loose with such a poor script and weak concept, no wonder the result is a muddled and contrived nonsense. Absolute drivel from start to finish, genuinely I can't find anything positive to say about this awful waste of time. I gave this 1 out of 10, and that point is only earned for it being the only film I ever walked out on at the cinema. I gave it a second chance on DVD, but to no avail. This motion picture is a modern day version of the emperors new clothes! People will tell you its good and give you that knowing look, as though there's some deep, wonderful secret to be found here. There isn't. The only secret is that its simply a woefully poor film. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  17. Nov 25, 2010
    One of the best movies ive seen ever, so beautiful the music is poetic and beautiful, the fight scenes beautifully choreographed, such a lovely movie, cant belive the idiot on here who rate it lowly.
  18. Dec 28, 2015
    I had high expectations for this show but was largely let down. Although the special effects were good, the acting was mediocre and the ending was terrible and disappointing.
  19. Sep 21, 2010
    I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance,I had no idea what to expect my first time watching this film and it had everything to make it a masterpiece and is also the film that cause an interest in foreign films for good reasons. As far as story go, Ang Lee dose a great job capturing the feel in every scene in both the action sequence and dramatic scenes that its beautiful to watch. It`s a story that blends action, romance, betrayal, and vengeance with flawless execution which makes for an experience unlike Hollywood will ever make. The special effects in this film makes it more unbelievable how incredible this film is. The only complaints is not a big deal unless you hate reading subtitles for an entire movie. I recommend anybody who wants a different experience than what their usually use to. Expand
  20. Jan 26, 2015
    After seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn'tAfter seeing good reviews for this movie I thought it was gonna be really cool but I was wrong. This movie is very overrated and has a boring story. The story is about a thief that steals a special sword, people chase after that thief, the thief falls in love the end. The fighting scenes are cheesy and not very good and the floating acrobatics did the movie no justice. Overall I wouldn't recommend this movie, there are better martial arts/fantasy movies out there. Expand
  21. MikeN.
    Aug 9, 2003
    A very solid martial arts drama. I've seen a few better, I've seen a lot worse. Despite the critical acclamation and Academy awards, this is not a great picture however.
  22. D.Rush
    May 8, 2004
    Few movies in my lifetime have moved me as much as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I would challenge anyone who would dare speak ill of this film to a fight to the death.
  23. ChristosM
    Jul 6, 2009
    Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial Saying this is a bad film just because you are bored of reading the subtitles proves how uneducated and childish some people can be.Americans tend not to recognize the fact there is filmmaking happening outside of America and the Uk too. I must admit the origins of the film increase the hype surrounding it but most of all it's a rewarding movie full of high aesthetics,great martial performances and if not good acting,at least perfect photography.It's a piece glistenning with oriental elegance! Expand
  24. DavidC.
    Jul 9, 2002
    It may seem unrealistic at times with the flying fighting scenes, but the film is captured in such a way, that you are lost in it's beauty. We need more Kung-fu pics like this.
  25. MarkW.
    Apr 8, 2003
    One of the best movies ever! A masterpiece!
  26. MihaG.
    May 3, 2003
    98? What the h*ll? This is the most stupid film of all times. So what if it is "foreign" and a little "different"? If you want different, grab some films from old Yugoslavia like Ko to tamo pjeva or Maratonci. Or get some Scandinavian films... But don't waste your time with this stupidity just because they threw some money in it ... They still ended up with crap.
  27. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare Sweeping and grand, at moments even lushly beautiful, it suffers from Zhang Ziyi's skeletal features and performance. Far better are the seasoned veterans Chow and Yeoh who slowly, layer by layer, unwrap and bare the love they feel for eachother. Some action scenes have mythic grandeur while others are of looney tunes variety. Uneven, but far more mature than the average HK fare which inspired it. Expand
  28. BurkeH.
    Jan 31, 2004
    Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time. While it's sometimes visually impressive, the martial arts sequences are not particularly well done by Hong Kong standards. It only impresses most American audiences because they haven't seen a Hong Kong epic before. If you enjoyed this movie, you'll be blown away by movies featuring people who actually know kung fu. (While Perhaps the most overrated movie of all time. While it's sometimes visually impressive, the martial arts sequences are not particularly well done by Hong Kong standards. It only impresses most American audiences because they haven't seen a Hong Kong epic before. If you enjoyed this movie, you'll be blown away by movies featuring people who actually know kung fu. (While Michelle Yeoh is very skilled, Chow Yun-Fat knows no martial arts whatsover.) Check out the real thing by the masters, not this mediocre film. Collapse
    Jul 11, 2005
    A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but A flowing masterpiece, in terms of story, art and action. The musical score in commendable, too. Hero and House of Flying Daggers are excellent as well, but fall a few points short of this one, as they have some clunky or lathargic moments, particularly the latter's lame ending. The movie's never too long, and pacing is even. Many good action movies tend to have rusty parts, but I can't find one in this film. Expand
  30. MikeC.
    Jul 9, 2005
    It is a measure of the failure of American film criticism that this confused and overlong martial-arts soap opera is in the top ten at Metacritic, while The Matrix, one of the best films ever made, doesn't even rate in the top 200.
  31. JohnnyT
    Sep 1, 2007
    Most of the reviews seem to be all or nothing, for me, great acting, better story, beautifully filmed.
  32. PamaF.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This movie was mad. The graphics was really good and thestroy line was interesting.
  33. DarriasC.
    Nov 13, 2001
    Great visuals and fights the subtitles kept it from geting a 10, when they're fighting they talk and you look at what they're saying and miss some of the action.
  34. RobS.
    Nov 2, 2001
    Most over-rated peice of garbage I have ever seen. Terrible king fu movie, downright stupid love story. I have no idea what everyone is raving about.
  35. MamaG.
    Feb 12, 2001
    I would never voluntarily pay to see a martial arts film - just not my style. BUT this film transcends the action. It is a old fashioned romance and adventure movie with excellent characters. I was surprised by the female emphasis in the story and I wept at the ending. I thought it was visually stunning and the martial arts scenes were more like dancing than violence. You don't have I would never voluntarily pay to see a martial arts film - just not my style. BUT this film transcends the action. It is a old fashioned romance and adventure movie with excellent characters. I was surprised by the female emphasis in the story and I wept at the ending. I thought it was visually stunning and the martial arts scenes were more like dancing than violence. You don't have to like Jackie Chan or Kung-Fu to thoroughly enjoy it! Expand
  36. AndyH.
    Feb 2, 2001
    I am reminded of a college basketball chant for an underdog when their team beats a high-ranked opponent. "Overrated! Overrated!" "Crouching Tiger..." is a good movie, but it is receiving undue praise from the media. It is essentially a popcorn flick, with only adequate dialogue and an average, yes I said average, film romance. And am I the only one who found the fight scenes annoying? I I am reminded of a college basketball chant for an underdog when their team beats a high-ranked opponent. "Overrated! Overrated!" "Crouching Tiger..." is a good movie, but it is receiving undue praise from the media. It is essentially a popcorn flick, with only adequate dialogue and an average, yes I said average, film romance. And am I the only one who found the fight scenes annoying? I realize the floating and the flying are "beautiful," supposedly, but it just comes across as ridiculous whimsy that was the brainchild of a 5 year old. Expand
  37. JustinT.
    Jul 24, 2001
    Easily the most disappointing film I have EVER seen. The movie and story is so awful that I cringed waiting for the next fight scene; but when it finally came I was very frustrated and confused by how absurd, chaotic, and silly they were. Keanu looked much more graceful doing wire stunts.
  38. GaretM.
    Jul 30, 2001
    Beautiful in every way. The acting so amazing, half way through the movie I realized I had stopped reading the sub-titles, I didn't need them. Action, romance, epic cinematography, all rapped in a (bring tears to your eyes) musical score.
  39. JohnS.
    Aug 6, 2001
    Super!
  40. TerryW.
    Dec 29, 2002
    Since when do all greats film have to come in "English", they should watch film with closed mind and closed eyes.
  41. MikeS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    This movie is absolutely horrible. There isn't a drop of reality in the thing. Don't waste your time.
  42. SylvaG.
    Aug 30, 2002
    The film sucks! it is more like cheese with the chinese noodle been cooked overly.
  43. CraigU.
    Sep 2, 2002
    We had a dubbed version, which is probably much easier to watch than trying to read all the subtitles. Naturally, it's funny at first with the out-of-sync mouth movements of the actors, but the story and scenery so well done, that you forget about the dubbing, and just get caught up in the story. The special effects are very good, and some of the fight scenes have to be watched over We had a dubbed version, which is probably much easier to watch than trying to read all the subtitles. Naturally, it's funny at first with the out-of-sync mouth movements of the actors, but the story and scenery so well done, that you forget about the dubbing, and just get caught up in the story. The special effects are very good, and some of the fight scenes have to be watched over & over again just for the fantastic choreography alone. Not to give away too many hints, but I will say the ending wasn't all that uplifting, and it could've ended on a happier note. Expand
  44. Banshee
    Apr 16, 2003
    David E., You'd written, this movie would suck and that it's not even in ENGLISH (!?!?!?!?!). And then you lil coalitioners wonder why nearly the whole world hates the west? I hope that God or whoever's sittin up there will deliver you from obstinacy before it's too late. Open your eyes and open your mind!! CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON is a beautyfully David E., You'd written, this movie would suck and that it's not even in ENGLISH (!?!?!?!?!). And then you lil coalitioners wonder why nearly the whole world hates the west? I hope that God or whoever's sittin up there will deliver you from obstinacy before it's too late. Open your eyes and open your mind!! CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON is a beautyfully cinematographed and choreographed asian poem. And why the f..k shoud it be realistic? Expand
  45. KwanLiW.
    May 1, 2003
    Crap. i hated it. the "flying" scenes were absolutely not what they were cracked up to be. i must admit, however, the cinematography was awe-inspiring
  46. GiovannaC.
    May 1, 2003
    Wonderful. this film deserved every award it received.
  47. MinT.
    May 18, 2003
    Being Chinese myself, I was extremely disappointed in the juvenile references in the film. I myself prefer less violent films. However, I do commend the makers of the film on the breath-taking cinematograpy. All in all, this movie warrants a dead center rating. I would also like to request that users condense their reviews, as many of us would rather not read a page-long review. Thank you.
  48. NickV.
    May 4, 2003
    Have fun reading the subtitles or having the voices not match the mpuths. And the story line sucks just like the movie and the one point is for it had cool action sences but story, ending, characters, and exciment is all a 0!
  49. JarrodO.
    Jan 19, 2004
    An absolutely brilliant and beautiful film which will enchant anyone who has the ability to appreciate it. It's delicate subltey, realistic characters, excellent cinematography, fantastic fight scenes and simple yet touching story, combine to form a movie that makes most others seem shallow and totally uninspiring in comparison. People who do not like movies which actually make them An absolutely brilliant and beautiful film which will enchant anyone who has the ability to appreciate it. It's delicate subltey, realistic characters, excellent cinematography, fantastic fight scenes and simple yet touching story, combine to form a movie that makes most others seem shallow and totally uninspiring in comparison. People who do not like movies which actually make them think however, should not waste their time, the same goes for people who are unable to understand the concept of magic, as parts such as where the characters "fly" may confuse them. I cartainly pity people who are unable to enjoy this amazing film simply because they are unable to accept that not all ficticious stories need to abide by the laws of physics, or because having to read the subtitles makes their brains hurt. These people should stick to the bad action movies hollywood spew out every year to keep them happy, or even spend their time doing something constructive such as trying to work out why they can't appreciate a brlliant movie while many others can. I could go on forever about these people and how much they piss me off but frankly it's not worth it. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is an amazing movie which anyone with an imagination and an appreciation for the finer things in life will absolutely adore. Expand
  50. JohnO.
    Mar 10, 2004
    Beautiful, well-made, but completely devoid of intelligence. Thus, it does never rise above mediocrity.
  51. JohnD.
    Jul 1, 2004
    7 out of 10 as an average score for such an amazing film?
  52. PradR.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Sheer brilliance on a tenth of the budget of hollywood tripe.
  53. GaborA.
    Aug 19, 2004
    Remember the Karate Kid? Take the most cliche martial arts quote from it. So now you're somewhere in the Best of the Best territory. Then go even lower in terms of hackneyedness and you have every line of dialogue in Crouching Tiger. Plot? None. There are two types of scenes in this movie. Standard hollywood attempts at drama and endless repetitive fight scenes. I know that theres Remember the Karate Kid? Take the most cliche martial arts quote from it. So now you're somewhere in the Best of the Best territory. Then go even lower in terms of hackneyedness and you have every line of dialogue in Crouching Tiger. Plot? None. There are two types of scenes in this movie. Standard hollywood attempts at drama and endless repetitive fight scenes. I know that theres movie in china that combine the sword and the soul. Bring some of them over. Expand
  54. ChunkN.
    Oct 11, 2005
    Could not even get halfway through this stupid movie.
  55. Ray
    Jan 6, 2005
    Exquisite.
  56. DavidF.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Very stylish movie with excellent mix of fantasy and martial arts.
  57. SørenP.
    Mar 1, 2005
    Beautiful movie -- excellent fight scenes and a stunning setting.
  58. AlynG.
    May 14, 2005
    Mesmerizing film. Outstanding combination of story, characters, cinematography, cultural repression and inner conflict. Can't wait to view it again to see what I missed the first time.
  59. DanielC.
    Nov 30, 2006
    Films like this really annoy me, simply because of the over the top fighting. If you want a good martial arts film that is recent, then watch ong bak or tom yum goong(aka the protector aka the warrior king).
  60. BIGBUTTER
    Feb 8, 2007
    Really good movie and the action was awesome. Hard to follow in parts.
  61. Lee
    Aug 19, 2008
    This movie was 10x better the Pan's Labyrinth, which in my mind was sorely disapointing reguardless of the hype. A little long but it tells a great story!
  62. Flux
    Feb 7, 2009
    The biggest problem with Crouching Tiger was that it's brilliance and success opened the door to all the incoherent, emperor-worshiping, "costumes and choreography over story" crap like Hero and Flying Daggers and Golden Blossom. Those later wuxia offerings were visual spectacles, but lacked story or plot. Which is perhaps why simple-minded fanboys prefer them to the intelligence and The biggest problem with Crouching Tiger was that it's brilliance and success opened the door to all the incoherent, emperor-worshiping, "costumes and choreography over story" crap like Hero and Flying Daggers and Golden Blossom. Those later wuxia offerings were visual spectacles, but lacked story or plot. Which is perhaps why simple-minded fanboys prefer them to the intelligence and grace of this masterpiece. Expand
  63. DouglasW.
    Nov 15, 2001
    I just sat there in stunned, often teary-eyed joy, amazement, and wonder. And this was just during the fight scenes! What a movie.
  64. WaltF.
    Jan 25, 2001
    Is anyone willing to admit "the emperor has no clothes?" The plot is weak and meandering, the dialog listless. The fight scenes are so artificial and contrived, the director would have been better off not editing out the cables and going for sheer comedy. Intellectual honesty, anyone?
  65. SharD.
    Feb 21, 2001
    For me, this is a classic. Great translation from a superb book, amazing martial arts and totally believable acting that is so rarely seen in such films. The only flaw that I can see is the flying sequences which lacked weight and balance. Those who rate this lowly do not understand that it is supposed to be a Chinese Period Fantasy. Not an action movie filled with mindless blood and For me, this is a classic. Great translation from a superb book, amazing martial arts and totally believable acting that is so rarely seen in such films. The only flaw that I can see is the flying sequences which lacked weight and balance. Those who rate this lowly do not understand that it is supposed to be a Chinese Period Fantasy. Not an action movie filled with mindless blood and gore, but actual stories of romance, social pressures, femininity, honor and betrayal. Best Film of 2000. Expand
  66. NickS
    Mar 17, 2001
    I thought this would be an entertaining popcorn film but it so wasn't. I laughed at most of the scenes and the music was so not fitting. When "We Will Rock You" started playing, it wasn't that bad because it was in the soundtrack. But then the people on-screen start clapping and stomping and SINGING, it became ridiculous. Ledger still amazes me that he has a career and Rufus I thought this would be an entertaining popcorn film but it so wasn't. I laughed at most of the scenes and the music was so not fitting. When "We Will Rock You" started playing, it wasn't that bad because it was in the soundtrack. But then the people on-screen start clapping and stomping and SINGING, it became ridiculous. Ledger still amazes me that he has a career and Rufus Sewell depresses me for being in such garbage. How he has gone from "Hamlet" to "Dark City" to this crap is beyond me. The friends of the knight are the sole entertainment in this entire film. And that is barely enough to make this film watchable. Expand
  67. JoshB.
    Jul 2, 2001
    A work of art. The action sequences are stellar, the story engaging.
  68. DavidE.
    Jul 26, 2001
    Ok, this movie sucks bad, first of all its not even in ENGLISH, second it is so unrealistic its just plain dumb, overall disapointment, horrible choatic fight scenes that leave you confused about what just happened.
  69. RandyB.
    Jul 29, 2001
    If you have imagination, an adventurous spirit, and appreciate beauty you will love this movie.
  70. JoshD.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Amazing, beautiful, and great action. Probally the best movie I've ever seen. Ang Lee did an amazing job.
  71. GlenS.
    Aug 1, 2001
    This movie stinks!
  72. Sam
    Aug 16, 2001
    This movie was an amazing combination of romance, great acting, beautiful surroundings and of course, dazziling marshall arts. Stunning!
  73. HollyH.
    Aug 3, 2001
    I love the romance! :-) EXCELLENT MOVIE!! (it's got everything!)
  74. CrouchingGilbertHiddenMulroneycakes
    Dec 2, 2002
    No, the emperor has no clothes. This IS a good movie, and no-one is going to be impressed if you insinuate otherwise. In fact, it's almost certainly the best martial-arts film ever made. It's haunting, poetic and artistic, it's got great performances, the special effects are awe-inspiring (and, more importantly, DON'T represent the entire movie, no matter what the No, the emperor has no clothes. This IS a good movie, and no-one is going to be impressed if you insinuate otherwise. In fact, it's almost certainly the best martial-arts film ever made. It's haunting, poetic and artistic, it's got great performances, the special effects are awe-inspiring (and, more importantly, DON'T represent the entire movie, no matter what the Detractors might say). At this point I believe I'll do the complaint that "it wasn't even in ENGLISH" the justice of an acknowledgement. Dignifying such a stupid, stupid statement with a response, however, is out of my jurisdiction. Look, just watch this film, okay? Expand
  75. Cody
    Feb 21, 2002
    This movie is very well done. The flying that everyone is talking about is based on old kung-fu techniques, just as realistic as james bond, who falls out of an airplane and survives... Very good movie, Will be impressed.
  76. RosieT.
    Jun 24, 2002
    This film is a wonderful one. It is beautifully shot and choreographed, however, i give this film a 9 as opposed to a 10 because some parts of the movie were very far from reality.
  77. CaseyT.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Probably the most overrated peice of garbage movie I've ever seen.
  78. IsabelC.
    Jul 8, 2002
    While being unlike most films in the mainstream, it certainly rates as original. However, beneath it all it's really nothing more than special effects that quickly become tiresome. Over-rated and really rather tedious to watch.
  79. PatC.
    Dec 1, 2003
    Sometimes a movie works for no obvious reason, defying analysis. Also, if one is familiar with past products of the Chinese film industry, this film is a warning that, unlike India and other provincial movie cultures, Chinese movies are often thoroughly composed and are now capable of global appeal. Watershed movie such as this usually get rated at least a 10. If it had been made Sometimes a movie works for no obvious reason, defying analysis. Also, if one is familiar with past products of the Chinese film industry, this film is a warning that, unlike India and other provincial movie cultures, Chinese movies are often thoroughly composed and are now capable of global appeal. Watershed movie such as this usually get rated at least a 10. If it had been made elsewhere, it's an 8. If made in Hollywood, no one would have believed it. Look, the oriental mindset is a little different. This movie gives one a chance to understand and enjoy it while relaxing and being entertained. Expand
  80. BrainT.
    Mar 25, 2003
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I've come to realize that just because a movie is associated with an Oscar doesn't mean it's any good. This one left me with a bad taste in my mouth after believing all the hype surrounding it. I'm still wondering why this was nominated for anything.
  81. Peter
    Apr 18, 2003
    If you haven't seen this movie then you should do yourself a favor and rent it. This movie has a beautiful soul.
  82. AliM.
    Jul 2, 2003
    This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, This was one of the most boring and overrated films of the past decade. The first time I watched it I fell asleep, so I thought I'd missed something, and watched it again. No wonder I fell asleep. The plot is juvenile, the characters are thin, and the action is appalling. This was lucky to scrape a two from me. I can't beleive great comedies get such bad reviews from critics, when stuff as bad as this is one of the highest scoring films ever. Expand
  83. DaveC.
    Jul 26, 2003
    98 points? Give it 100. This film is sweeping, beautiful, touching and wildly entertaining and I'm disappointed by the reviews from the non-critics. Listen. Just because you have to use your brain to understand it, doesn't make it rubbish. Ang Lee is a genius.
  84. NinjaMafia
    Jan 20, 2004
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The film that brought kung-fu into main stream America. So, how does the movie really stack up? Well, the plot in the movie is really good, if you count it as a kung-fu movie. For any other type of movie (excluding comedy) this story feels a bit lacking. Hey, that doesn't matter, because they managed to incorporate a good story into a kung-fu film. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The film that brought kung-fu into main stream America. So, how does the movie really stack up? Well, the plot in the movie is really good, if you count it as a kung-fu movie. For any other type of movie (excluding comedy) this story feels a bit lacking. Hey, that doesn't matter, because they managed to incorporate a good story into a kung-fu film. Now, I'm not even going to comment on the acting because I don't fluently speak Chinese so I wouldn't be able to grade the way they act, however, from my point of view it is extremely well. How about the action? Well, the action was good in many parts. However, the parts where they just kind of flew seemed a bit ridiculous but at the same time, surreal and enchanting. However, the bar fight seen had some of this and it looked just ridiculous to me, unlike the bamboo forest. My real problem with this movie is the middle of the movie. The middle explains the past of a pair of lovers an the such. Besides the fact that chasing a man for days and weeks on end just for a brush is absurd, it just completely throws off the pacing and mood of the film. If they shortened that scene, then this film would most likely be a complete and utter masterpiece. Expand
  85. MikeG.
    Dec 4, 2004
    It's a dazzling movie, and the fight scenes are great. But the message flies in the face of the typical Eastern philosophy, and I'm not necessarily sure that's a good thing. There's too much bouncing back and forth between the three main characters, and it feels like they all get shortchanged as a result. Still, a dazzling movie that entertains throughout.
  86. A10yearoldkid
    Mar 16, 2004
    The best i've ever seen!!
  87. VidM.
    Nov 10, 2005
    It's bomb! You know it!
  88. MarcusR
    Mar 30, 2005
    Wasn't even worth my time. What do you get from tons of stupid martial art fighting scenes, no story line and bad acting? A BAD MOVIE I can't stop reiterating how bad this movie was.
  89. JBarr
    Apr 8, 2005
    Overrated pop-culture crap. I don't care if it's from another country unless it's a good movie. Their later works of The house of Flying Daggers and Hero were a great lep ahead of this. If you were going to watch this movie, watch one of those instead.
  90. yoyoma
    May 11, 2005
    Crouching story, Hidden Acting.
  91. NathanG.
    Jul 14, 2005
    CTHD uniquely fuses a western mood (with its themes of repressed love & romantic love) w/ the more genre-familiar themes of avenging a master's death and what it truly means to master martial arts. As Li Mu Bai, Chow Yun Fat is outstanding in his ability to convey ideas with very little said. Zhang Ziyi's character shuns guidance from him, choosing to burn her own way through CTHD uniquely fuses a western mood (with its themes of repressed love & romantic love) w/ the more genre-familiar themes of avenging a master's death and what it truly means to master martial arts. As Li Mu Bai, Chow Yun Fat is outstanding in his ability to convey ideas with very little said. Zhang Ziyi's character shuns guidance from him, choosing to burn her own way through life. These two performances really shine. Michelle Yeoh is excellent as always, displaying the same talent for swordplay she did in Tai Chi Master and Wing Chun -- both on par w/ Crouching Tiger. So much has already been said about this movie, but after reading stuff on this site such as "This movie is absolutely horrible. There isn't a drop of reality in the thing. Don't waste your time," I had to write something. To the many reviewers who hate the flying: CTHD is part of a martial arts sub-genre called Wuxia Pien, by which it's acceptable for the choreography and weaponry to go beyond the realistic. Expand
  92. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    An excellent film and perhaps the only variation on Pride and Prejudice I can stomach. It's a story primarily about the decisions one must make when duty and honor clash with desire and passion, told through moments of tender romance and fierce conflict. I came to see an action flick. I left having seen an epic.
  93. XouX.
    Dec 13, 2007
    The film was rather interesting due to its storyline but it lacks action prior to the other Hong Kong thrillers. Still a watchable movie worthy of an Oscar.
  94. ChristopherJ.
    Mar 17, 2007
    It was ok. The fight scenes need a more aggressive editor. The film is gorgeous to look at and listen to. I don't find tragedy very entertaining. Especially when it unfolds so slowly.
  95. DannyD.
    Jun 26, 2007
    This is honestly my favorite movie. I hadn't looked at these reviews yet, and it surprises me that it got such high scores because reviewers rarely like the same movies that I do. Oh, and to the kid who said that he likes The Protector better, I saw that and I agree that the action is absolutely stunning. I think that guy had to have almost died multiple times in the making of the This is honestly my favorite movie. I hadn't looked at these reviews yet, and it surprises me that it got such high scores because reviewers rarely like the same movies that I do. Oh, and to the kid who said that he likes The Protector better, I saw that and I agree that the action is absolutely stunning. I think that guy had to have almost died multiple times in the making of the movie, but the storyline was obviously the last thing on anyone's mind while making the movie. Expand
  96. KevinG.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better Boring! The story was long, drawn out, and had little to no redeeming qualities. The acting was good, though the whole idea of the movie was pushed at its "amazing" effects. I'm sorry, but people jumping around on trees obviously dangling from wires is not my idea of 'good' effects. Forget Crouching Tiger, Get "House of Flying Daggers" or "Hero". They are both 100% better than this. Expand
  97. AndrewR.
    Jul 15, 2008
    An artistically stylized martial arts movie with great performances from all.
  98. TraceyM
    Apr 18, 2009
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a movie that explores the mythical side of our imagination, is something that begins to try and make our minds become a world in itself. However, was it the type of movie that is reaching for the stars when it can barely jump off the ground?
  99. JakeM.
    Nov 7, 2001
    This movie reeks! I had to turn it off after an hour of watching crap being poured into my eyes. Beautiful scenery is probably the only good thing about this movie. Stupid characters are hardly believable, and the flying, it started making me think they were in outerspace. Its cool when they float everyone once in a while, but when they play it over and over and over agian, it makes you This movie reeks! I had to turn it off after an hour of watching crap being poured into my eyes. Beautiful scenery is probably the only good thing about this movie. Stupid characters are hardly believable, and the flying, it started making me think they were in outerspace. Its cool when they float everyone once in a while, but when they play it over and over and over agian, it makes you wonder why in the hell should I finish watching the movie if all they are going to do is fly. Bottom line: don't watch this movie Expand
  100. ChrisG.
    Jan 22, 2001
    A wonderful portrayal of fantasy and romance. Strong women characters and admirable male characters. This is a must-see. It is great that the movie-makers did not feel compelled to provide an apology or explanation for the "flight of fantasy." This movie takes the art of story-telling to a new level. Wonderful.

1. Handsome, passionate and fun. It's everything we go to the movies for.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Brilliance of the action and effects are supplemented by a consistently superior and resourceful score by Tan Dun.
    The picture is more fun than it has a right to be.