5.8

1. j30
    May 9, 2012
    I found Damsels In Distress hilarious and one of the best comedies I've seen recently. The dialogue is razor sharp, the actresses are great, particularly Greta Gerwig's character. I admit there's probably one dead spot in the film, but it quickly picks up where it left off.
  2. Sep 30, 2012
    A particularly quirky comedy that has a beat every bit it's own, the most obvious comparison of style I could make is to that of Woody Allen's comedic flourishes, and a sharply written screenplay filled with quick, snappy social insights, that is almost the sole reason to watch. The other reason to watch lies in the inspired performances on display, particularly those of Greta Gerwig andA particularly quirky comedy that has a beat every bit it's own, the most obvious comparison of style I could make is to that of Woody Allen's comedic flourishes, and a sharply written screenplay filled with quick, snappy social insights, that is almost the sole reason to watch. The other reason to watch lies in the inspired performances on display, particularly those of Greta Gerwig and Analeigh Tipton. They both shine here, Gerwig as the bright, passionate leader of the damsels, Tipton as the newest member of the group content with remaining ordinary. Most of the time, it's hard to really get a grasp on what exactly Stilman is saying here, sometimes I'm not sure he's even wanting to say anything at all and is content to just sit back and bask in the absurdity of it all, but the off-beat comic universe that he envelops you in is so secular and wholly original and the style so visually appealing that it's hard to at least not remain consistently interested in 'Damsels in Distress'. Expand
  3. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. On first viewing, I was slightly bored with this rendering of campus life as Stillman had already produced work on similar enough themes with far more wit. The closing dance number ("Dress Rehearsal") was under-practiced and it is clear that our actors are actors, not dancers.

And then I watched it again. And I liked it much, much more. I like it more every time I watch it. What a strange characteristic that is for any movie to have.

Stillman has the beginnings of a new stock of actors and he could potentially go very far with Tipton, Gerwig and Echikunwoke. [Tipton's solitary walk home after being introduced to the Cathar way of expressing love is perfectly done. And I can there be any doubt that a movie with Chloe Sevigny and Gerwig as decade apart sisters is brewing somewheres.] In terms of moving on, Stillman will have to since his old actors have aged out of their ticket selling q while he has been away. Fortunately, Taylor Nichols and Carolyn Farina are onboard for cameos. One can hope that Mr. Stillman has a script about post-college and post-first job out of college issues that he will get the money to produce. I would definitely go....I just might not enjoy the first viewing.
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    Clever and touching. Greta Gerwig was brilliant as the elitist, vunerable, crazy Violet. This one caught me completely by surprise. I never used the word doofus in it's plural form before. Good to know.
  5. Jan 3, 2014
    This is a wonderful gem of a film. I can see why it's so polarising; you either embrace it or are enraged by it. It's all rather silly really, but oh so magical. Dialogue is whip smart and full of honesty, the performances are excellent, and some scenes are just wonderfully funny. Greta Gerwig is wonderful as always.
  6. Jun 2, 2015
    DAMSELS IN DISTRESS is a very unique film that takes the college comedy formula and turns it on its head. Stillman does not go for the cliche storyline that so many films like this follow. He deviates from that, but in doing so, he gives us one of the most original and witty films in recent memory. So many lines are memorable in this film and I found myself smiling throughout. GretaDAMSELS IN DISTRESS is a very unique film that takes the college comedy formula and turns it on its head. Stillman does not go for the cliche storyline that so many films like this follow. He deviates from that, but in doing so, he gives us one of the most original and witty films in recent memory. So many lines are memorable in this film and I found myself smiling throughout. Greta Gerwig is very charming as Violet who runs the suicide prevention center. Violet earnestly believes that tap dancing is a cure for depression and tries to get a dance craze of her own started. Her sincerity is fun to watch and the other characters deliver great one liners after the next. I highly suggest you seek this film out, but don't expect some rehash of the genre. It is a highly original film with a strong and funny voice that is worth repeat viewings. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 4, 2012
    Damsels in Distress is shockingly tone-deaf. Stillman is still capable of a few amusing quips, but his storytelling is sophomoric.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Apr 27, 2012
    The performances are all terrific - Stillman gets his actors to latch onto his absurdist vibe, then gives them wonderfully rich dialogue to play with.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 25, 2012
    Stillman inserts chapter headings and written asides into the proceedings, but none of it helps explain what is before us. The authorial voice in Damsels in Distress lacks definition.