Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 11, 2012
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 427 Ratings
WATCH NOW
lukechristianscMar 11, 2014
i give my rating a 9 here's why . tim burton is a creative director others might think tim burton lost his mind . jhonny depp is a vampire who has been buried over 200 years and finds himself in 1972 and renuites with his family to breaki give my rating a 9 here's why . tim burton is a creative director others might think tim burton lost his mind . jhonny depp is a vampire who has been buried over 200 years and finds himself in 1972 and renuites with his family to break the curse also to fight the witch ( eva green ) . i love this film and i love tim burton's films and the fact that he put a vampire in 1972 which it is awsome . Expand
Trev29Nov 24, 2012
This movie turned out quite differently than I thought it would. The story seemed rather odd, and moved strangely, but in the end I was still won over by Tim Burton's vision. It was a very nice movie to look at, and the ending totally made upThis movie turned out quite differently than I thought it would. The story seemed rather odd, and moved strangely, but in the end I was still won over by Tim Burton's vision. It was a very nice movie to look at, and the ending totally made up for the mishaps. I enjoyed the characters too. Expand
MarcDoyleMay 12, 2012
I liked it much more than I anticipated I would. I was hoping and praying it wouldn't remotely resemble a Pirates film - it doesn't. The acting is excellent - particularly Helena Bonham Carter (as the family psychiatrist) and BellaI liked it much more than I anticipated I would. I was hoping and praying it wouldn't remotely resemble a Pirates film - it doesn't. The acting is excellent - particularly Helena Bonham Carter (as the family psychiatrist) and Bella Heathcoate (as Victoria Winters). The parts are not overplayed like they often are in Burton films. Your head isn't spinning by the third act. But what stands out for me is the music - perfectly captures the time period. I was particularly pleased to hear Donovan's "Season of the Witch" and Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy." The movie does the early 70's perfectly.. Sure, it gets a touch slow, and perhaps runs a bit long, but it's a good movie. Expand
choomtabi31Mar 7, 2016
A story I'm glad Burton picked up on. It is a little tamer than much of his opus, but definitely worth a watch.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1641321-Dark-Shadows-online-free
Bruce722Nov 29, 2012
Definitely one of the better Johnny Depp movies in recent memory. I was surprised with not only the originality but also the drama in the tragedy for it being such a light-hearted film. Definitely worth watching in my opinion.
RikiegeSep 24, 2012
Dark shadows: Fun for the elderly, good for those between 30 and 40 years, but not very good for those under 18. Not that I did not like but when I left the cinema did not like anyone but me. In my opinion it is entertaining but little moreDark shadows: Fun for the elderly, good for those between 30 and 40 years, but not very good for those under 18. Not that I did not like but when I left the cinema did not like anyone but me. In my opinion it is entertaining but little more ... The problem with this movie is that it has not used the original it was. Expand
KivaJun 11, 2013
great story, great cast, great fun The atmosphere was scary and funny at the same time.I really liked eva green and chloe grace moretz
mrmonsterOct 7, 2012
A good movie. I've never seen the TV show, but the movie was very god and very funny. It was a nice vampire movie with a violent twist and lots of good jokes. Nice action, great humor, a few hot actresses, an okay plot, what else do you want?
JonnyFendiMay 31, 2012
Who else could be the better choice to direct thiz movie other than Tim Burton. The description is gothic, epic, classic, mystic, magic, comic, slapstick, frantic, scenic, antique, not yet tragic, but with no garlic! Just like his previousWho else could be the better choice to direct thiz movie other than Tim Burton. The description is gothic, epic, classic, mystic, magic, comic, slapstick, frantic, scenic, antique, not yet tragic, but with no garlic! Just like his previous masterpieces such as BEETLE JUICE (1988), EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990), BIG FISH (2003) and ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010). Thiz time, Tim Burton tries to bring back classic vampire tale based on the original TV series in 1970s-era. The story takes place in the year 1972, when 196-year-old vampire Barnabas Collins has just awakened in his coffin after being cursed by a cold hearted witch Angelique Bouchard who previously fell for him. Now, he arrives back in his grandiose mansion to restore his family to its former glory, what he does not know later, the world has changed a lot since his last departure. The original version looked more like a soap opera, but in Tim Burton hand it turns out to be a fresh family drama with some mysterious elements and sometimes cynical good humor. It is certainly acceptable, considering Tim Burton has done his homework for compiling 1.225 TV episodes into two-hour movie. On thiz occasion, the Director Tim Burton has also successfully gathered together all his favorite performers. Thiz is his eighth collaboration with Johnny Depp, his seventh with his real-life partner Helena Bonham Carter, his fifth with Christopher Lee and his second with Michelle Pfeiffer after her role as Catwoman in BATMAN RETURNS (1992). Have you ever seen the original Barnabas Collins which played by Jonathan Frid? If you are old enough to have a chance to see his performance previously, you probably would have realized that Johnny Depp has done a lot of efforts to portray that character through his tone of voice, his facial expression and even his gestures. Beside that, there are some other performances which have got my attention. For the umpteenth time, Chloë Grace Moretz has shown her maturity in acting, thiz time to become a rebel teen daughter. Bella Heathcote also makes a special impression as a mysterious new nanny. And Eva Green is obviously very attractive and sensual even as a ruthless witch. The rest of the Cast members are Johnny Lee Miller, Jackie Earle Haley and Gulliver McGrath, plus a special guest appearance by the legendary rock star Alice Cooper. In fact, the gang of 1970s version also make cameo appearances as the guests in the ballroom party scene, including the late Jonatahan Frid, Lara Parker, David Selby and Kathryn Leigh Scott. Thiz movie really brings us back in time to 1970s. Everything is so authentic, including the clothes, the hairstyles, the cars and even the songs. My favorite moment is when they play the song TOP OF THE WORLD by The Carpenters. Somehow, the song sounds so fresh and uplifting. It sounds pretty much like thiz, Such a feeling coming over me. There is wonder in most everything I see... It can also be precise words to describe thiz movie. Get ready for nostalgia ^_^

Visit My Blog on JONNY MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
python2000Aug 27, 2013
This was an enjoyable movie overall because of the last half hour and another outstanding performance from Chloe Moretz. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow sorry Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins (who is basically Jack Sparrow butThis was an enjoyable movie overall because of the last half hour and another outstanding performance from Chloe Moretz. Johnny Depp plays Captain Jack Sparrow sorry Johnny Depp plays Barnabus Collins (who is basically Jack Sparrow but without a tan). Dark Shadows is a decent movie which will not impress everyone but is bearable. Expand
Apemonkey666Sep 11, 2012
The trailer might have given sort of the wrong idea. The first half is comedic with Depp playing the fish-out-of-the-water as a vampire in the 70s, but the second half takes a slightly darker turn (it IS called Dark Shadows innit) and by theThe trailer might have given sort of the wrong idea. The first half is comedic with Depp playing the fish-out-of-the-water as a vampire in the 70s, but the second half takes a slightly darker turn (it IS called Dark Shadows innit) and by the end it gets grittier and even a bit dramatic. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and it does look gorgeous. Eva Green looks stunning and does a fabulous job as the blonde antagonist who almost plays Depp off the screen. But I guess it failed at the box-office coz it feels a bit unbalanced and got misrepresented by the marketing campaign. Expand
JohnnyStephensAug 25, 2013
It's one of Tim's and Depp's best picture. I really liked it, and it's one of my favourite comedies. Do not miss it guys!!! And first of all: Do not hear to anyone who says that it's a bad and horrible picture!! It's a masterpiece!!!
audreythomas25Feb 15, 2016
The movie is bloody, sexy and exciting. I have always enjoyed watching Depp’s films.

Watch here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-190b69-Dark-Shadows-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
Mad_Hatter91May 15, 2012
A fun movie but at the same time dramatic and a little horror. Excellent scenery, even the special effects,an amazing make up, as always, a truly stellar cast and a storyline particularly full of vampires, witches, curses and mysteries to solve.
NecromusDec 29, 2012
I'm not sure why people all seem to give this movie a bad review. Maybe they were expecting this to be a masterpiece like some of the other Tim Burton movies starring Johnny Depp. Is this Edward Scissorhands? No. Is this The Nightmare BeforeI'm not sure why people all seem to give this movie a bad review. Maybe they were expecting this to be a masterpiece like some of the other Tim Burton movies starring Johnny Depp. Is this Edward Scissorhands? No. Is this The Nightmare Before Christmas? No. Is this Sleepy Hollow? No. Is this a light comedy by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp as a Vampire come back from the grave who says many funny things because he is only aware of things from the Victorian Age? Yes. If you like Johnny Depp and you want to see him say funny things in an old English accent when he misinterprets things in modern society then you will enjoy this film. The film does seem to move in multiple directions, never really landing on one, maybe that is why people find it weird. Is it a comedy? Action? Soap Opera? A bit of all of the above? -- Probably. Anyway, I saw it in the theater and I enjoyed it enough that I don't feel I wasted my time and money (a major feat these days with all the bad movies I've seen lately). I give it an 8/10 Expand
rafael14Sep 30, 2012
It's kinda movie that is good and weird in the same time, the story was well prepared, the actors were god too, but there is a small problem the every time they put a flashback
SantiagoMAKiiNAMay 16, 2012
I walked into this film expecting to laugh frequently. As it turns out, a word better fitted to the result would be intermittently. I did enjoy the film. You just need to bear in mind that the majority of punch lines were already deliveredI walked into this film expecting to laugh frequently. As it turns out, a word better fitted to the result would be intermittently. I did enjoy the film. You just need to bear in mind that the majority of punch lines were already delivered in the promotional trailer.
I am a fan of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. For those of you like me out there this will be worth every penny. Don't waste your money on the IMAX version. This particular film is not improved much by the format.
This time around Mr. Burton didn't come across as outlandish as in previous films. Perhaps he is residing closer to Earth as he grows in age. Although, my movie date said, and I quote, "this Tim Burton guy must smoke some good stuff."
Johnny Depp was impeccable in his rendition. Who would expect any less. The guy has something. Some of you out there could only wish.
Eva Green's character was tons of fun to watch. She gives the movie that extra that makes you want to keep watching. No doubt she had a good laugh playing this character. Let's hope she doesn't take it home with her. Scary.
Michelle Pfeiffer hasn't been much on the circuit lately, and I wish she did. Her skills are as good as ever in this movie. We miss you girl! Come back more often!
Everyone else performed as expected. Professional deliveries all around. Just nothing too off the pallet. I'm not sure the writing asked more of them.
I particularly enjoyed the set design and costumes. The right blend of grandiosity and fantasy without getting too outlandish. Do look around as you walk through this film. You will find interesting treats.
Tim Burton has always done well using digital effects combined with cinematography to deliver a believable world of fantasy. The film is simply beautiful. Sometimes you just want to hit the magic pause button and stare at the screen for a while. Amazing.
Make your way to the theatre and watch this film with positive expectations. It will be well worth it. Just don't expect to laugh off the seat of your pants simply because the marketing wants you to believe that. In retrospect, I see clear now that the movie was never intended to be that. But simply another fantastic world delivered by the never-disappointing Burton-Depp team. Thanks guys!
destroya1artMay 16, 2012
Dark Shadows is a pretty good film. but i think many people were misinformed, if you guys saw the trailer you would think its a dark looking movie but its a comedy. WORD OF ADVISE: IT IS NOT A COMEDY! the trailers failed in my opinion becauseDark Shadows is a pretty good film. but i think many people were misinformed, if you guys saw the trailer you would think its a dark looking movie but its a comedy. WORD OF ADVISE: IT IS NOT A COMEDY! the trailers failed in my opinion because they advertised it as funny! and it is not, its not supposed to be. Yes there are a few laughs here and there and a few silly scenes but this movie is dark! if you think this is a little kids movie no sir it is not, they show depp (collins) killing people sucking their blood, there is somewhat adult content (no nudity) of course. it is not a little kids film. but i did enjoy this movie, the story is interesting, long story short its about this lady who is a witch! who was never loved by barnabas collins (Depp) so she curses him and his family that's it! a somewhat interesting story, a few funny scenes, some dark killing scenes. its a dark good movie. its based on a TV show, i have never seen it, but i don't think you're supposed to see it to get the movie. It stands on its own. over all i would give this a SOLID 7. not a great movie at all, and not a bad one either! all these bad reviews were given because they didn't think the movie was funny enough! solid movie specially if you love depp, and tim burton. Expand
sesostrisMay 19, 2012
Angels: It was not horror, exactly. Although it made me jump in parts, and it made my flesh crawl just a little. It was not camp exactly, although there was some exaggerated posturing, and ham acting. The story was interesting, and theAngels: It was not horror, exactly. Although it made me jump in parts, and it made my flesh crawl just a little. It was not camp exactly, although there was some exaggerated posturing, and ham acting. The story was interesting, and the production values excellent. But, it was Tim Burton, so it was a little gloomy, and a little macabre. It was an entertaining evening out, but I will enjoy not seeing it again. Horror films are either stupid, or scary. This was neither. Really, on so many levels, it was neither fish, nor fowl.
Angels, your voices haunt me.
GOUGHMay 24, 2012
I did see a few of the old shows, and was unimpressed, didn't care, and was fascinated more by the young Mississippian gal who told me about it. Lifetimes passed. And, lo, the king approaches. We have a comedy. A mystery. Gothic Nightmare.I did see a few of the old shows, and was unimpressed, didn't care, and was fascinated more by the young Mississippian gal who told me about it. Lifetimes passed. And, lo, the king approaches. We have a comedy. A mystery. Gothic Nightmare. Spoof. Homage. Cameos just in time. Yeah, it was a bit long and I was mostly entertained. Expand
rastapastaOct 10, 2012
There are plenty of flaws to this Dark Shadows, such as uneven plot and character usage. But, Depp plays a most excellent Barnabas Collins and is a vampire that is not afraid to use his very being and powers to get what he wants. SomethingThere are plenty of flaws to this Dark Shadows, such as uneven plot and character usage. But, Depp plays a most excellent Barnabas Collins and is a vampire that is not afraid to use his very being and powers to get what he wants. Something few vampire movies successfully utilize. Fans of the TV show will undoubtedly be upset with what a two hour film tries to sum up in a thousand episode television show. But for someone new to the series as a whole, i walked away pleasantly surprised and charmed with what Burton and Depp were able to pull off. Expand
hollowficationJun 3, 2012
this movie i watched it i loved it so funny johnny depp should make more funny roles he got good potential in comedy i laugh entire way it best movie i watch....
Chaseyo2Jun 3, 2012
I liked it.. Beware, its no comedy. The trialer put it out to be one, but it was rather serious. But it still had funny parts. It gets alot of bad rap becuase of its non comedic ways, like everyone expected. But i liked this movie.
CherylMay 11, 2012
I liked it. I think some of the criticism is valid, however, this IS a movie adapted from a soap opera. It's not supposed to be deep, or especially thought provoking. It's just good campy, vampy fun!
Sheldonc1981Sep 29, 2012
I must say Johnny Depp didn't quite live up to my expectations. He did very well, humorous yet mysterious (which is very hard for an actor to do). I thought it was a bit too long, though. I was feeling kinda exhausted at the end.
sfjcgMay 29, 2012
I'm surprised that this movie hasn't gotten better reviews. I wasn't expecting much but was very entertained throughout the whole movie. I especially liked all the bright colors/visuals. It was pure entertainment.
VeryDarkJediOct 13, 2012
I generally like Tim Burton as well as Johnny Depp. This movie was no exception. It is a dark (of course with Tim Burton) comedy with some hint of action/thriller in it. I would not really characterize it as a horror movie even though thereI generally like Tim Burton as well as Johnny Depp. This movie was no exception. It is a dark (of course with Tim Burton) comedy with some hint of action/thriller in it. I would not really characterize it as a horror movie even though there are a vampire as well as a witch and a werewolf in it. Of course there is the romance stuff but I personally feel that is really more of a background or justification to the plot than anything else.

This is not a magnificent movie but it
Horsemad7009May 14, 2012
It was great in my opinion. However I had one problem with the film and that was the things Depp normally comes out, which which can easily confuse young people, and the actors seem to mumble on occasion, making it hard to understand. OtherIt was great in my opinion. However I had one problem with the film and that was the things Depp normally comes out, which which can easily confuse young people, and the actors seem to mumble on occasion, making it hard to understand. Other than that it was a good film, and if you haven't already seen the film, expect many hidden suprise's... Expand
DBreezMay 14, 2012
I like it. Very good movie. One of best Burton's movies. The story is gorgeous. very good cast, Depp is famous, this role (Barnabas Collins) is really for him
delanuersMay 15, 2012
It's not the best Burton film, but the art direction and interpretation work are excellent.

The story and characters could be better explained but the movie is simply fun.