5.8

1. Nov 2, 2010
    A Film Review By: Sam Fragoso "Date Night" ** Steve Carrel and Tina Fey are a boring and suburban married couple in "Date Night" Review You would suspect the king and queen of comedy would produce a better movie then "Date Night" ..... but they don't. Here's the premise: a boring married couple out in the suburbs of Jersey, decide they want to go out, have a night to remember. So they go into the New York City to this insanely expensive restaurant. The only problem is they don't have a reservation, so what do they do? They take one, of course (cause so many people do that). Anyways they take this reservation only to find out the reservation they took belongs to this debt owing couple.

Two thugs come up and take them outside and the story goes on from there. "Date Night" delivers hardly any laughs and you would think Carrel and Fey would bring something to the table here. It's really disappointing to see these two comic wonders be stuck in such a flat and poorly written so called "comedy".

I will say though the one up side to this film are the cameos by all the different actors, it kinda reminds you of all the better films they have been in. James Franco, Mila Kunis, Ray Liotta, Mark Wahlberg and J.b. Smoove almost save the film to it's ultimate demise, but "Date Night" is slow paced, boring and extremely predictable, do yourself a favor and pass on this very mediocre movie.

Instead go out and rent "The 40 Year Old Version" (Carell) or "Mean Girls" (Fey) both infinitely better films then this one.

Cast
    Steve Carell
    Tina Fey
    Mark Wahlberg
    Common
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    Above the tedious Hollywood "love comedy between married couples" formula, "Date Night" is actually impressive because of its capacity to fuse action, humor, and romance.
  3. Aug 11, 2010
    Steve Carell and Tina Fey are effortlessly hilarious, and you get the sense that they could have done more for this film if given greater control of the somewhat limited script.
  4. Aug 28, 2010
    Date Night is a stupidity movie with randomly unfunny scenes. Carell and Fey weren't that funny in the movie. The lines and the script were pretty dull and not quite chuckle. I wasn't even laughing in the theater,when I saw some audiences were not laughing and have awkward chuckles,but little bit people were laughing that much. If only Carell and Fey could be more funny should be done written perfectly on this movie,not kid-friendly dull unfunny scenes in this stupid movie. I know that I seem too harsh for a good movie on Rotten Tomatoes and to all those critics who like this,but there you'll go,Date Night I can't live without. Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2010
    For a comedy with two very talented leads and several very good supporting actors, "Date Night" was incredibly unfunny and severely disappointing. I was saddened at the stupidity of this movie's jokes and the mediocre way it developed the film's recurring gags. Carell and Fey both need to rebound.
  6. Sep 10, 2010
    Overall, not bad. Some clever lines and clever writing, however some slow lulls in the middle of the movie. A few lines were so funny that you couldn't help but laugh out loud, and of course Tina Fey is always a delight.
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    The plot is a little bit weak, but Tina Fey and Steve Carell brought the whole movie up. They were hilarious together. It wouldn't be good if they weren't the cast.
  8. Sep 29, 2010
    Perhaps the most prominent comedic figures on television, 30 Rock's Tina Fey and The Office's Steve Carell collaborate with Shawn Levy (Night at The Museum) in Date Night. First off, a movie such as Date Night does not possess a goal to make a cerebral and qualitative experience; instead it aims its course to create endless laughs utilizing elements such as slapstick comedy. This film performs this genre's criterion to perfection, as it ultimately creates a gut-wrenching humorous experience.

Date Night's premise is simple, a worn out married couple, Fey and Carell, look for excitement with a night on the town. They soon realize that this love-renewing night could lead to their murder due to a implausible mix up. As the audience can realize, the plot of the film is very simple and somewhat weak, but that is not the film's strong point nor is it its ". What makes this film excel is its actors. As a fan of both Fey and Carell, I consider them to be comedic geniuses in a way that they can make any plot funny. They do so in this film as they create endless gags that have the audience laughing out of their seats. There is not much to qualify, the main point is that Fey and Carell make this film work; with their traces of subtle comedy to "laugh out loud" ridiculous moments that only a significantly stiff person would not appreciate.

Date Night provides the laughs even with its simple premise, and that's all what it should do. If you are solely looking for an incredibly humorous movie, this film provides for 30 Rock and Office fans alike.
  9. Sep 29, 2010
    I've just watched the Date Night trailer, and it is both funny, slick and well made. If it is any guide, the movie will have thousands of hilarious gags.
  10. Nov 9, 2010
    I don't get the low reviews? I thought this was an all around good movie. Carell and Fey were both very funny and the film had a solid story line. Worth a watch.
  11. Nov 20, 2010
    Tina Fey and Steve Carell are a perfect duo of comedy and this is a great sit through. It does become hard believe at times, but the comedy takes the attention.
  12. Dec 2, 2010
    The first time i watched it it was funny and i thought it was well preformed. The second time i watched it I thought it was HILARIOUS!! This was a great performance from two actors that really know each other well and made it the best they could. Certain areas were a little dragging but overall it was very good.
  13. Mar 7, 2011
    I am a huge fan of both Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, and had eagerly awaited this film. I feel Carrell's comic skills are often marginalized, and I believe Fey is simply a genius of comedic writing and performance. Having said that, I wish I liked this movie more. ________ The story is sufficient in that it keeps the pace of the movie quick and agile, and provides ample opportunities for both comedic absurdities and action thrills. Carrell and Fey share a chemistry that works comedically. Most of the movie is amusing, and there are a few genuine "laugh out loud" moments. But overall, the movie has a bit of a generic feel to it., I would recommend it as a light, popcorn movie night rental. ________ Special mentions to Mila Kunis and Best Actor Oscar Nominee, James Franco, as they deliver an entire act's full of hilarity in one inspired scene. Also to Common and William Fichtner in their respective roles as two of the film's "heavys." >>>> My full cinema profile here: http://bit.ly/MyMovies Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2010
    If you are going to see this movie thinking that it will be slap-stick funny, you may be disappointed, I really liked this movie, it was very funny but it is funny in a more subtle way than other comedies. Much of the humor is based on real life experiences in a way similar to what you would see on the tv show "modern family" which makes it enjoyable because you can relate to Steve & Tina's characters (early scenes!). Steve Carell & Tina Fey do an excellent job of playing the normal married couple whose life has become somewhat mundane, there is plenty to like here, I'm really surprised at the negative reviews. It is even funnier the second time I saw it. Expand
  15. Sep 27, 2011
    Originally I didn't like this movie as much, but after watching it again it had its moments. At time's it lagged a bit but for the most part you were kept in the thrill of the moment not knowing what to expect next.
  16. Oct 12, 2010
    It's clear that Fey and Carell are trying to make the most of the material given to them, and they are mostly successful in rescuing what would otherwise me a very mediocre movie. Both leads are funny, charming, and realistic, proving their comedy chops. This definitely belongs in the same company as Fey's other film, "Baby Mama"--funny, but not "30 Rock"-funny.
  17. Mar 8, 2011
    Date Night is a hilarious movie that really captures how not so young anymore couples act, the great chemistry between the leads makes it even better, it's ultimately a very hilarious and enjoyable movie.
  18. Dec 26, 2010
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, this movie was fantastic. I couldn't stop laughing, and the plot wasn't bad either. Un-realistic? For sure. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie.
  19. Feb 27, 2011
    This Is A Good Movie, Dont Get Me Wrong...
    Just Once In A While Is Seems Boring, And "Washed" Up...
    This Is Not A Bad Movie, Or The Best Movie Ever!
    Half-Way Decent Cast... :)
  20. Jun 7, 2013
    Caught this on a plane while flying across the Atlantic and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The script is pretty standard but the two leads, Steve Carell and Tina Fey as well as an excellent cameo from Mark Walhberg; make Date Night a fairly enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half.
  21. May 30, 2011
    So, to begin with, you've got this screwball comedy starring Sarah Palinâ
  22. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    Steve Carell and Tina Fey are decidedly the strongest point of this comedy, as without their chemistry it would have been awful; the rest of the movie was a bit cartoonish and cheesy. However, add to that leading duo a surprisingly hilarious Mark Wahlberg and cameos from Mila Kunis, James Franco, and several others, and you've got an enjoyable actor-driven comedy.
  23. Aug 1, 2011
    A married couple (Steve Carrel and Tina Fey) stuck in the routine of life with two kids and separate jobs, have hit a rut. They have their same date night, at the same restaurant, with the same meals and the staff knows their names. They yearn for more, but seem to have lost the ability to really connect with each other. After hearing their close friends, who they thought had a great marriage, are splitting up, they decide to have a fancier date night in the big city. They take a reservation at a fancy restaurant for a couple that didnâ Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2011
    Date Night in short is a thrilling comedy which happens to include a married couple to bring a little romance. When Phil (Carell) and Claire Foster (Fey) discover their married friends oncoming divorce they decide to try a little harder with their own marriage by making a special date night in the city, after arriving late to a popular restaurant with no reservation the couple decide to steal the table of a couple of 'no shows'. A case of mistaken identities later and the boring married couple find themselves on the run from dirty cops and gangsters in a date night to remember.

A lot of negativity has shrouded this movie of many genres for a while now, and I'm going to be honest the negativity put me, a feyaholic, off for a very long time. Don't be fooled by it's poor reviews and overstated flaws, Date Night is packed with one liner gems, moments of sheer hilarity and. perhaps most importantly, an wickedly humorous cast. However the negative reviews do unfortunately contain some good points, the film seems a little long and drawn out in areas, such as the car scene, and the script has the depth of a child's paddling pool. I do feel though that the weak storyline is carried strongly by it's cast and although it doesn't hold the witty, dry humour of films such as Mean Girls and Little Miss Sunshine it is what it is, a good laugh for a large audience.
    Perhaps one day Fey and Carell will collaborate in something sinfully hilarious with undertones that echo real life, and that day will be a fine one, but for now we are left with Date Night, something that could be the beginnings of brilliance.
  25. Nov 16, 2011
    Date Night is a hilarious and funny comedy film that features great and comical performances from Tina Fey and Steve Carell.
  26. Nov 13, 2011
    Although the uneven story doesn't quite live up to the talents of it's two comedic stars, it still has it's moments of laugh-out-loud humor, action and romance. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.
  27. Jan 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed the film. The only bad parts are the 2 sappy parts in which Steve's character questions if his wife would leave him if given the chance because of their boring life. Then at the end in which Steve's character says he would relive his life the exact same way if given the chance. Besides those two parts, It was a rather good comedy that was filled with good cameos and good supporting actors. Expand
  28. Apr 17, 2012
    Let's be honest this movie totally depends on its stars to provide the laughs if it wasn't for them this movie would be down there with the zeros. Carrell and Fey are the royals of comedy and have incredible chemistry in this movie and provide the majority of laughs. But unfortunately for every good laugh there is a worst off scene which totally destroys the movie, let's be straight the whole story line is kind of stupid and the "action" is a bit too low-key. Date night could have been a fun romp between two great stars, but it totally lacks the rhythm to keep a movie of this kind going. Expand
  29. Jan 24, 2012
    It was funny and worth the watch if you have a few hours to kill but other than that it wasnt all that special. The plot was rather straight forward and rather stupid at times too. The acting was good and there was suprisingly a decent amount of action as well. It was ok but I expected better.
  30. Jan 26, 2013
    Let's be honest this movie totally depends on its stars to provide the laughs. But unfortunately for every good laugh there is a worst off scene which totally destroys the movie in parts.
  31. Jun 4, 2012
    Somewhat comedic. I liked it, but didnt expect anything that happened, i wont spoil, but lets just say go in with an open mind, cause everything happens at random. Not as funny as i thought it would be, but it was good. Overall very worth watching. Some suggestive parts, so i dont suggest children watch. And if your a teen, dont watch i with your parents. Awkward.
  32. Oct 31, 2012
    Very subjective but I love Carrell. Never seen Fey before but love this movie. Wahlberg is awesome. 10/10
    Carrell is genius and camio by James Franco and Milan Kunis is fantastic. District attorney should get a pervert Oscar and Ray Liotta is so believable also. This film is the best midweek movie I've seen ever. Totally miffed I didn't go to a cinema to see it.
  33. Apr 13, 2013
    It`s a movie worth watching if you have a sense of humor, but don`t expect anything epic out of it. It`s an avr. comedy movie. No reason not to see it but won`t be missing anything if you don`t.
  34. Jan 17, 2013
    Despite its poor editing, frequent lapses in logic, and overuse of convention, "Date Night" is surprisingly made at least "watchable" thanks to a good handful of funny scenes from its two amiable lead performers.
  35. Jul 4, 2013
    A decent comedy that gets a recommendation because of good chemistry by the leads Steve Carrel and Tina Fey. Just don't expect to see a great comedy.

1. These talented performers star in two of the wittiest, most sophisticated sitcoms on the air, but for this movie pairing they're stuck with an endlessly silly plot line and overblown physical mayhem that is instantly forgettable. The fact that they make it so funny nonetheless is a testament to their abilities.
  2. Reviewed by: Lael Loewenstein
    An uncommonly engaging date movie.
  3. Reviewed by: Karina Longworth
    A jumble of genres, tones, and styles, Date Night ultimately strains to be a serious movie about marriage, with one joke: that, even when surrounded by excitement, Claire and Phil revert to being dull. But in practice, their dullness is just dull.