Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: April 9, 2010
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 239 Ratings
WATCH NOW
nboley08Aug 16, 2010
For a comedy with two very talented leads and several very good supporting actors, "Date Night" was incredibly unfunny and severely disappointing. I was saddened at the stupidity of this movie's jokes and the mediocre way it developed theFor a comedy with two very talented leads and several very good supporting actors, "Date Night" was incredibly unfunny and severely disappointing. I was saddened at the stupidity of this movie's jokes and the mediocre way it developed the film's recurring gags. Carell and Fey both need to rebound. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 29, 2011
Above the tedious Hollywood "love comedy between married couples" formula, "Date Night" is actually impressive because of its capacity to fuse action, humor, and romance.
NateF.Apr 15, 2010
Funny and coherent, "Date Night," proves to be hallarious at times with a relatively sensible emotional poigniencey that counterweights a seemingly outrageous mad-cap adventure to take down crime and curruption in the Big City. Sex, action, Funny and coherent, "Date Night," proves to be hallarious at times with a relatively sensible emotional poigniencey that counterweights a seemingly outrageous mad-cap adventure to take down crime and curruption in the Big City. Sex, action, and awkwardness abound, this movie equitably manages the intangible subtlties of Tina Fae's comedic prowess with Steve Carrel's big-budget, brick-and-mortar performances. Couples will enjoy "Date Night" because of its specific appeal towards both sexes meanwhile, shedding light on the humor and more substancial infrastructural archetypes surrounding healthy heterosexual relationships. 7.3. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
KyletApr 13, 2010
Yeah, honestly, you can tell people were purposely trying to bring the user rating down. It was at like 3.2 on the day it opened, but no one was posting reviews. Anyways, this movie works pretty well considering the history of the director. Yeah, honestly, you can tell people were purposely trying to bring the user rating down. It was at like 3.2 on the day it opened, but no one was posting reviews. Anyways, this movie works pretty well considering the history of the director. It was riding that thin line between stupid and too stupid. But it succeeded, mostly because the movie was focused on the two leads, who have great chemistry. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
aabender002Aug 11, 2010
Steve Carell and Tina Fey are effortlessly hilarious, and you get the sense that they could have done more for this film if given greater control of the somewhat limited script.
CherylSep 10, 2010
Overall, not bad. Some clever lines and clever writing, however some slow lulls in the middle of the movie. A few lines were so funny that you couldn't help but laugh out loud, and of course Tina Fey is always a delight.
RyanGeeSep 29, 2010
Perhaps the most prominent comedic figures on television, 30 Rock's Tina Fey and The Office's Steve Carell collaborate with Shawn Levy (Night at The Museum) in Date Night. First off, a movie such as Date Night does not possess a goal to makePerhaps the most prominent comedic figures on television, 30 Rock's Tina Fey and The Office's Steve Carell collaborate with Shawn Levy (Night at The Museum) in Date Night. First off, a movie such as Date Night does not possess a goal to make a cerebral and qualitative experience; instead it aims its course to create endless laughs utilizing elements such as slapstick comedy. This film performs this genre's criterion to perfection, as it ultimately creates a gut-wrenching humorous experience.

Date Night's premise is simple, a worn out married couple, Fey and Carell, look for excitement with a night on the town. They soon realize that this love-renewing night could lead to their murder due to a implausible mix up. As the audience can realize, the plot of the film is very simple and somewhat weak, but that is not the film's strong point nor is it its ". What makes this film excel is its actors. As a fan of both Fey and Carell, I consider them to be comedic geniuses in a way that they can make any plot funny. They do so in this film as they create endless gags that have the audience laughing out of their seats. There is not much to qualify, the main point is that Fey and Carell make this film work; with their traces of subtle comedy to "laugh out loud" ridiculous moments that only a significantly stiff person would not appreciate.

Date Night provides the laughs even with its simple premise, and that's all what it should do. If you are solely looking for an incredibly humorous movie, this film provides for 30 Rock and Office fans alike.
FortinbrasNov 20, 2010
Tina Fey and Steve Carell are a perfect duo of comedy and this is a great sit through. It does become hard believe at times, but the comedy takes the attention.
Ruler101Dec 2, 2010
The first time i watched it it was funny and i thought it was well preformed. The second time i watched it I thought it was HILARIOUS!! This was a great performance from two actors that really know each other well and made it the best theyThe first time i watched it it was funny and i thought it was well preformed. The second time i watched it I thought it was HILARIOUS!! This was a great performance from two actors that really know each other well and made it the best they could. Certain areas were a little dragging but overall it was very good. Expand
Efreet69Mar 7, 2011
I am a huge fan of both Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, and had eagerly awaited this film. I feel Carrell's comic skills are often marginalized, and I believe Fey is simply a genius of comedic writing and performance. Having said that, I wish II am a huge fan of both Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, and had eagerly awaited this film. I feel Carrell's comic skills are often marginalized, and I believe Fey is simply a genius of comedic writing and performance. Having said that, I wish I liked this movie more. ________ The story is sufficient in that it keeps the pace of the movie quick and agile, and provides ample opportunities for both comedic absurdities and action thrills. Carrell and Fey share a chemistry that works comedically. Most of the movie is amusing, and there are a few genuine "laugh out loud" moments. But overall, the movie has a bit of a generic feel to it., I would recommend it as a light, popcorn movie night rental. ________ Special mentions to Mila Kunis and Best Actor Oscar Nominee, James Franco, as they deliver an entire act's full of hilarity in one inspired scene. Also to Common and William Fichtner in their respective roles as two of the film's "heavys." >>>> My full cinema profile here: http://bit.ly/MyMovies Expand
DarkCriticAug 28, 2010
Date Night is a stupidity movie with randomly unfunny scenes. Carell and Fey weren't that funny in the movie. The lines and the script were pretty dull and not quite chuckle. I wasn't even laughing in the theater,when I saw some audiencesDate Night is a stupidity movie with randomly unfunny scenes. Carell and Fey weren't that funny in the movie. The lines and the script were pretty dull and not quite chuckle. I wasn't even laughing in the theater,when I saw some audiences were not laughing and have awkward chuckles,but little bit people were laughing that much. If only Carell and Fey could be more funny should be done written perfectly on this movie,not kid-friendly dull unfunny scenes in this stupid movie. I know that I seem too harsh for a good movie on Rotten Tomatoes and to all those critics who like this,but there you'll go,Date Night I can't live without. Expand
carltheheroSep 19, 2010
The plot is a little bit weak, but Tina Fey and Steve Carell brought the whole movie up. They were hilarious together. It wouldn't be good if they weren't the cast.
LondonTrueloveNov 9, 2010
I don't get the low reviews? I thought this was an all around good movie. Carell and Fey were both very funny and the film had a solid story line. Worth a watch.
DukeNov 2, 2010
A Film Review By: Sam Fragoso

"Date Night" ** Steve Carrel and Tina Fey are a boring and suburban married couple in "Date Night" Review You would suspect the king and queen of comedy would produce a better movie then "Date Night" .....
A Film Review By: Sam Fragoso

"Date Night"

Review

You would suspect the king and queen of comedy would produce a better movie then "Date Night" ..... but they don't.

Here's the premise: a boring married couple out in the suburbs of Jersey, decide they want to go out, have a night to remember. So they go into the New York City to this insanely expensive restaurant. The only problem is they don't have a reservation, so what do they do? They take one, of course (cause so many people do that). Anyways they take this reservation only to find out the reservation they took belongs to this debt owing couple.

Two thugs come up and take them outside and the story goes on from there. "Date Night" delivers hardly any laughs and you would think Carrel and Fey would bring something to the table here. It's really disappointing to see these two comic wonders be stuck in such a flat and poorly written so called "comedy".

I will say though the one up side to this film are the cameos by all the different actors, it kinda reminds you of all the better films they have been in. James Franco, Mila Kunis, Ray Liotta, Mark Wahlberg and J.b. Smoove almost save the film to it's ultimate demise, but "Date Night" is slow paced, boring and extremely predictable, do yourself a favor and pass on this very mediocre movie.

Instead go out and rent "The 40 Year Old Version" (Carell) or "Mean Girls" (Fey) both infinitely better films then this one.

Cast
Steve Carell
Tina Fey
Mark Wahlberg
Common
NormanBSep 29, 2010
I've just watched the Date Night trailer, and it is both funny, slick and well made. If it is any guide, the movie will have thousands of hilarious gags.
DavidS.Apr 18, 2010
Don't believe the negative reviews. This is a berry funny movie. Trust me; I know comedy. This was good.
1 of 4 users found this helpful
KennethA.May 16, 2010
This movie was excruciatingly bad. Tina Fey and Steve Carell have been funny ... but not here (Tina Fey's portrayal of Sarah Palin, for example). This is the only movie in my life where I looked at my watch to see how much longer this This movie was excruciatingly bad. Tina Fey and Steve Carell have been funny ... but not here (Tina Fey's portrayal of Sarah Palin, for example). This is the only movie in my life where I looked at my watch to see how much longer this dog was going to bark. James Franco and Mark Wahlberg give adequate performances.Not even they could save this mess. There were twenty seconds of almost amusing outtakes at the very end as the credits mercifully rolled. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
Misslove14xxDec 26, 2010
Don't listen to the negative reviews, this movie was fantastic. I couldn't stop laughing, and the plot wasn't bad either. Un-realistic? For sure. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie.
janhApr 9, 2010
A wonderful getaway for those who are married or have been married. it's a familiar situation (dull marrige) with a great twist!
RyanMay 2, 2010
Not horrible, but not so great either. It was a very awkward mix of action on comedy.
PennyLApr 11, 2010
Hilarious! I won't hesitate to buy a ticket for any movie these two talented and very funny people appear in....together, that is!
AndrewP.Apr 10, 2010
While its story and action sequences are nothing spectacular, the actings provided by Fey, Carell, and the host of supporting characters such as Taraji. P Henson, Ray Liotta, James Franco, Mila Kunis, Common, and others more than make up for While its story and action sequences are nothing spectacular, the actings provided by Fey, Carell, and the host of supporting characters such as Taraji. P Henson, Ray Liotta, James Franco, Mila Kunis, Common, and others more than make up for its director's flaws. Furthermore, you will laugh your butt off the entire time. Expand
JohnC.Apr 10, 2010
It's hilarious, I don't get the hate.
AndrewA.Apr 9, 2010
Funniest movie of the year! Tina Fey and Steve Carell are true comedic gold!
MitchM.May 5, 2010
Love Steve & Tina long time. Went in with great expectations, full of good cheer, ready to laugh until my gut exploded. I sat there for 90 minutes, waiting waiting waiting to laugh. I think one chuckle was all that was given involuntary Love Steve & Tina long time. Went in with great expectations, full of good cheer, ready to laugh until my gut exploded. I sat there for 90 minutes, waiting waiting waiting to laugh. I think one chuckle was all that was given involuntary life. Nuff said. Expand
TerryMJun 1, 2010
One of the funniest movies i`ve seen in years. Carell and Fey are a fantastic on-screen couple and their escapade is highlighted like a Woody Allen/ Coen Bros cut `N` shut. Some of the hand-over-mouth funniest set pieces and one of the best One of the funniest movies i`ve seen in years. Carell and Fey are a fantastic on-screen couple and their escapade is highlighted like a Woody Allen/ Coen Bros cut `N` shut. Some of the hand-over-mouth funniest set pieces and one of the best chase scenes of recent memory. Oh and robot pole dancing?!!! Fantastic stuff. Expand
MichaelCApr 11, 2010
Very Good (B+) movie. Could have been better with a few more over the top moments. Steve Carell is a very funny man.
ChadSApr 11, 2010
The success of "Date Night" is directly attributed to the chemistry between Steve Carell and Tina Fey, who despite being A-list stars, could be your neighbors, or the handsome couple you meet at a party. Playing Phil and Claire Foster, the The success of "Date Night" is directly attributed to the chemistry between Steve Carell and Tina Fey, who despite being A-list stars, could be your neighbors, or the handsome couple you meet at a party. Playing Phil and Claire Foster, the relatively unglamorous NBC headliners of "The Office" and "30 Rock", respectively, have a middle class air about them, which allows the pair to blend in seamlessly among the other patrons at the family restaurant where their characters listlessly feast on a middle class dinner of potato skins and salmon. Phil is like the second-person narrator in the Talking Heads' track "Once in a Lifetime", the David Byrne-written masterwork about how ennui can creep into even the best of marriages. Friday night is "date night", and it's the "same as it ever was". Later in the film, Phil almost literally says, "This is not my beautiful wife," after Claire flirts with a shirtless Mark Wahlberg, who not only emasculates Phil, but half of North America's males, as well. Too bad this well-oiled comedy team wasn't cast in a more ambitious film along the lines of Albert Brooks' "Lost in America", or even Ted Demme's "The Ref". They connect with each other, and the audience. Thankfully, the pair's impeccable comic timing and lighthearted temperament help prevent their Kafkaesque situation from becoming too heavy-handed and steeped in testesterone. So often in action-comedies, spectacle(gunplay, car chases, etc...) neutralizes, and ultimately, stamps out comedy(for example: "Beverly Hills Cop 2"), because its characters in peril end up acknowledging the danger around them with too much reverence. Except for one overlong car chase scene involving a taxi cab(as if Tony Scott guest-directed a segment for Jim Jarmusch's "Night on Earth"), "Date Night" never forgets that it's a comedy. Both Carell and Fey strike the right balance of gravity and levity throughout their ordeal, which also staves off the excessive silliness so common in modern comedies, where the narcissistic performer often resorts to schtick. They're scared, but not so scared that their absurdist banter and goofy antics are replaced by kinesis(running, dodging bullets, etc.). In addition, both Carell and Fey(far from being narccisists) generously allow Wahlberg, and especially James Franco and Mila Kunis, get laughs, big laughs. "Date Night" is predictable, but harmless infectious fun. Since the two television veterans are so appealing together, however, the moviegoer wishes the Fosters would quit their jobs, buy a winnebago, and drive across America with Steppenwolf cranked all the way to eleven. They could also be the people that David Byrne sings about on the "Remain in Light" track "Once in a Lifetime". Expand
JohnnyM.Apr 11, 2010
Much funnier than I expected and the out takes at the end were hilarious. Let's face it. There are no great films out there right now, so have some fun and see "Date Night."
karenp.Apr 10, 2010
Funniest movie since When Harry Met Sally. Truly hysterical in places.
MichaelB.Apr 10, 2010
Not only is Date Night hilarious from start to finish it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire 98 minutes. I was afraid that if I left for a refill or a bathroom break that I would miss a exciting or hilarious moment.
JameyGApr 12, 2010
I thought that this movie was frickin Hilarious. I love this movie so much that I'm seeing it again
MattJApr 10, 2010
I really think this movie deserves a better rating. Really funny and fresh. Good for a first date.
RickAApr 15, 2010
I thought this movie was fun, humorous, well acted and pretty good story line. I appreciate movies that do not depend on a lot of vulgarity as a means of communicating the story. It was worth the money I spent to see it.
LeeEApr 19, 2010
Tina Fey and Steve Carell have great chemistry, without being sophomoric these guys bring a predictable movie up a notch and create a memorable funny film. On a par with great comedy duos like Hepburn and Tracy. The dance sequence was Tina Fey and Steve Carell have great chemistry, without being sophomoric these guys bring a predictable movie up a notch and create a memorable funny film. On a par with great comedy duos like Hepburn and Tracy. The dance sequence was particularly funny - I was laughing from beginning to end - it's not easy to entertain a cynic like me with humor - they did it! Expand
DannyWApr 20, 2010
I thought it was a well thought funny movie which was both filled with action, amazing comedy and outstanding acting. I saw this with my girlfriend and we loved it. we couldn't stop laughing. Go see it! its not just a date movie I thought it was a well thought funny movie which was both filled with action, amazing comedy and outstanding acting. I saw this with my girlfriend and we loved it. we couldn't stop laughing. Go see it! its not just a date movie it's for anytime Expand
DebbieM.Jun 17, 2010
This movie was terrible!!!! By all means, skip it and save your money! There was absolutely no plot whatsoever in this movie. It was boring, contrived and a complete waste of my time and money!!! This movie is beneath the talent of Steve This movie was terrible!!!! By all means, skip it and save your money! There was absolutely no plot whatsoever in this movie. It was boring, contrived and a complete waste of my time and money!!! This movie is beneath the talent of Steve Carrell who is usually very humorous. Skip this movie and don't even rent it! Expand
ChrisApr 11, 2010
Seemed all over the place. Bloopers were the funniest part.
PaulDApr 11, 2010
Painfully unfunny throughout.
DonnieBApr 17, 2010
In hollywood today, there are 3 types of romantic comedys. The "lets put in a bunch of famous people, give it a few oscars, and call it funny", the "let's just have a bunch of sex thrown into there", and the "lets give you the whole In hollywood today, there are 3 types of romantic comedys. The "lets put in a bunch of famous people, give it a few oscars, and call it funny", the "let's just have a bunch of sex thrown into there", and the "lets give you the whole plot in 2 minutes and make you watch it for 2 hours" movies. I'll be honest, this movie did use the power of stardom and sex a little over my taste, but not excessively. Overall, I enjoyed this move. It was the first movie in years that I actually laughed because it was supposed to be funny. Usually, I laugh because movies are so badly made, they're funny. This is how romantic comedys should be. To put this movie in this chatagory would be insulting; it was in a catagory all it's own. Steve and Tina made a relatable, interesting, and laugh your butt off couple who really had the worst luck of all time. It delt with issues married people face every day, but not to the point where it became a melodrama. It was just a laugh your butt off good time. My only critism is the prostitute club toward the end. Yes, Steve and Tina pole dancing made me wanna pee my pants, but it was badly handled. It showed way too much of the prostitues, and not in a comical way. It was in a realistic way that made me wanna vomit. William's weird sex fettish and the ugly prostitues did not add to the film, it lessened it. I have to give props to J.B. Smoove & his performance. He took the cab scene from great to one of the best comedic scenes I have ever seen. Good going, JP! In conclusion, wait until it comes out on dvd and rent it at 12am that day. You'll be glad you did. Expand
FerdiApr 25, 2010
Funny, but not that funny. Some parts were good, such as the banter between Taste and Whippit. Other parts were just awkward, such as the terribly exaggerated car chase scene (I do realize this is a comedy and not true to any realism, Funny, but not that funny. Some parts were good, such as the banter between Taste and Whippit. Other parts were just awkward, such as the terribly exaggerated car chase scene (I do realize this is a comedy and not true to any realism, necessarily, but that scene was just over the top), which could have been alright had it been funny, but sadly it was not. All in all, the movie was alright seeing as I had no expectations and no prior glimpse of the plot. In actuality, the plot would make for a very good action movie, as I was genuinely surprised by the twist at the end - however, that twist does not belong in a comedy. Expand
justinOApr 25, 2010
I thought the movie was hilarious. Im legitimately surprise but the current rating. Really funny i would recommend to all of my friends.
NateB.May 23, 2010
I tried my best, but this movie just couldn't make me laugh. There are too many stupid recurring gags such as "Killshot!!" and watching Tina Fey run into an open cabinet that become more annoying than funny over the long run. Fey and I tried my best, but this movie just couldn't make me laugh. There are too many stupid recurring gags such as "Killshot!!" and watching Tina Fey run into an open cabinet that become more annoying than funny over the long run. Fey and Steve Carrell are hilarious at times, and there are great cameos by James Franco, Mark Wahlberg, and Mila Kunis, and if you're a fan of "Goodfellas" you get to see Ray Liotta as a tough guy again, but the screenplay is just stupid most of the time and it's more of a funny premise than a funny movie over the long run. Can't recommend this movie, as funny as Carrell and Fey are when they click. Collapse
moviefanOct 4, 2010
If you are going to see this movie thinking that it will be slap-stick funny, you may be disappointed, I really liked this movie, it was very funny but it is funny in a more subtle way than other comedies. Much of the humor is based on realIf you are going to see this movie thinking that it will be slap-stick funny, you may be disappointed, I really liked this movie, it was very funny but it is funny in a more subtle way than other comedies. Much of the humor is based on real life experiences in a way similar to what you would see on the tv show "modern family" which makes it enjoyable because you can relate to Steve & Tina's characters (early scenes!). Steve Carell & Tina Fey do an excellent job of playing the normal married couple whose life has become somewhat mundane, there is plenty to like here, I'm really surprised at the negative reviews. It is even funnier the second time I saw it. Expand
kingshahidSep 27, 2011
Originally I didn't like this movie as much, but after watching it again it had its moments. At time's it lagged a bit but for the most part you were kept in the thrill of the moment not knowing what to expect next.
TonyOct 12, 2010
It's clear that Fey and Carell are trying to make the most of the material given to them, and they are mostly successful in rescuing what would otherwise me a very mediocre movie. Both leads are funny, charming, and realistic, proving theirIt's clear that Fey and Carell are trying to make the most of the material given to them, and they are mostly successful in rescuing what would otherwise me a very mediocre movie. Both leads are funny, charming, and realistic, proving their comedy chops. This definitely belongs in the same company as Fey's other film, "Baby Mama"--funny, but not "30 Rock"-funny. Expand
TheQuietGamerMar 8, 2011
Date Night is a hilarious movie that really captures how not so young anymore couples act, the great chemistry between the leads makes it even better, it's ultimately a very hilarious and enjoyable movie.
RogerSmith97Feb 27, 2011
This Is A Good Movie, Dont Get Me Wrong...
Just Once In A While Is Seems Boring, And "Washed" Up...
This Is Not A Bad Movie, Or The Best Movie Ever!
Half-Way Decent Cast... :)
drlowdonJun 7, 2013
Caught this on a plane while flying across the Atlantic and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The script is pretty standard but the two leads, Steve Carell and Tina Fey as well as an excellent cameo from Mark Walhberg; make Date Night aCaught this on a plane while flying across the Atlantic and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The script is pretty standard but the two leads, Steve Carell and Tina Fey as well as an excellent cameo from Mark Walhberg; make Date Night a fairly enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. Expand
10sne1May 30, 2011
So, to begin with, you've got this screwball comedy starring Sarah Palinâ
CRLAug 9, 2011
Steve Carell and Tina Fey are decidedly the strongest point of this comedy, as without their chemistry it would have been awful; the rest of the movie was a bit cartoonish and cheesy. However, add to that leading duo a surprisingly hilariousSteve Carell and Tina Fey are decidedly the strongest point of this comedy, as without their chemistry it would have been awful; the rest of the movie was a bit cartoonish and cheesy. However, add to that leading duo a surprisingly hilarious Mark Wahlberg and cameos from Mila Kunis, James Franco, and several others, and you've got an enjoyable actor-driven comedy. Expand
heybuddymoviesAug 1, 2011
A married couple (Steve Carrel and Tina Fey) stuck in the routine of life with two kids and separate jobs, have hit a rut. They have their same date night, at the same restaurant, with the same meals and the staff knows their names. TheyA married couple (Steve Carrel and Tina Fey) stuck in the routine of life with two kids and separate jobs, have hit a rut. They have their same date night, at the same restaurant, with the same meals and the staff knows their names. They yearn for more, but seem to have lost the ability to really connect with each other. After hearing their close friends, who they thought had a great marriage, are splitting up, they decide to have a fancier date night in the big city. They take a reservation at a fancy restaurant for a couple that didnâ Expand
unironedmanAug 7, 2011
Date Night in short is a thrilling comedy which happens to include a married couple to bring a little romance. When Phil (Carell) and Claire Foster (Fey) discover their married friends oncoming divorce they decide to try a little harder withDate Night in short is a thrilling comedy which happens to include a married couple to bring a little romance. When Phil (Carell) and Claire Foster (Fey) discover their married friends oncoming divorce they decide to try a little harder with their own marriage by making a special date night in the city, after arriving late to a popular restaurant with no reservation the couple decide to steal the table of a couple of 'no shows'. A case of mistaken identities later and the boring married couple find themselves on the run from dirty cops and gangsters in a date night to remember.

A lot of negativity has shrouded this movie of many genres for a while now, and I'm going to be honest the negativity put me, a feyaholic, off for a very long time. Don't be fooled by it's poor reviews and overstated flaws, Date Night is packed with one liner gems, moments of sheer hilarity and. perhaps most importantly, an wickedly humorous cast. However the negative reviews do unfortunately contain some good points, the film seems a little long and drawn out in areas, such as the car scene, and the script has the depth of a child's paddling pool. I do feel though that the weak storyline is carried strongly by it's cast and although it doesn't hold the witty, dry humour of films such as Mean Girls and Little Miss Sunshine it is what it is, a good laugh for a large audience.
Perhaps one day Fey and Carell will collaborate in something sinfully hilarious with undertones that echo real life, and that day will be a fine one, but for now we are left with Date Night, something that could be the beginnings of brilliance.
BrandonBonaseraNov 16, 2011
Date Night is a hilarious and funny comedy film that features great and comical performances from Tina Fey and Steve Carell.
marnee96Nov 13, 2011
Although the uneven story doesn't quite live up to the talents of it's two comedic stars, it still has it's moments of laugh-out-loud humor, action and romance. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.
spadenxJan 3, 2012
I really enjoyed the film. The only bad parts are the 2 sappy parts in which Steve's character questions if his wife would leave him if given the chance because of their boring life. Then at the end in which Steve's character says he wouldI really enjoyed the film. The only bad parts are the 2 sappy parts in which Steve's character questions if his wife would leave him if given the chance because of their boring life. Then at the end in which Steve's character says he would relive his life the exact same way if given the chance. Besides those two parts, It was a rather good comedy that was filled with good cameos and good supporting actors. Expand
Jefflyn90Apr 17, 2012
Let's be honest this movie totally depends on its stars to provide the laughs if it wasn't for them this movie would be down there with the zeros. Carrell and Fey are the royals of comedy and have incredible chemistry in this movie andLet's be honest this movie totally depends on its stars to provide the laughs if it wasn't for them this movie would be down there with the zeros. Carrell and Fey are the royals of comedy and have incredible chemistry in this movie and provide the majority of laughs. But unfortunately for every good laugh there is a worst off scene which totally destroys the movie, let's be straight the whole story line is kind of stupid and the "action" is a bit too low-key. Date night could have been a fun romp between two great stars, but it totally lacks the rhythm to keep a movie of this kind going. Expand
Tss5078Oct 25, 2016
Despite an all-star cast, that reads like a who's who of comedians, the much anticipated, Date Night, from Night At The Museum Director, Shawn Levy, failed to deliver in a big way. Of course there is that old saying about too many cooks inDespite an all-star cast, that reads like a who's who of comedians, the much anticipated, Date Night, from Night At The Museum Director, Shawn Levy, failed to deliver in a big way. Of course there is that old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen, but that wasn't the problem here, as individually, the performances were pretty good. What I didn't like about the film, was a lazy story that hasn't only been done before, but seemed to just run around in circles. The Foster family is going through your typical dry spell as a married couple with kids, and the news of a recent friends divorce has them worried about their own relationship, so they decide to start having a regular date night again. Not wanting to wait at a fancy restaurant without a reservation, they claim to be someone else, who are very late arriving to their reserved table. The Foster's think they're just stealing a reservation, instead they are stepping into the lives of two people who are wanted by many different people for many different things, leading to the wildest night of their lives. This story had some great potential, but once again, if these writers would stop worrying about PG-13 vs. R, in regards to who will go see their films, and just let the story take off in whatever direction it's going, the film could have been so much better. Instead, the writers hold back, because they don't want a raunchy comedy, they want a date movie, and the result is a mediocre comedy that should have been so much better than it was. Date Night is good for a chuckle here and there, but otherwise, the story goes in circles, it's predictable, and it wastes the talent of a terrific cast. Expand
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
It was funny and worth the watch if you have a few hours to kill but other than that it wasnt all that special. The plot was rather straight forward and rather stupid at times too. The acting was good and there was suprisingly a decent amountIt was funny and worth the watch if you have a few hours to kill but other than that it wasnt all that special. The plot was rather straight forward and rather stupid at times too. The acting was good and there was suprisingly a decent amount of action as well. It was ok but I expected better. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
Pure entertainment. Tina Fey and Steve Carell are magic together. Whether or not the comedy is effortless, it's sharp and hilarious. Date Night is one of those films we don't want to end.
csw12Jan 26, 2013
Let's be honest this movie totally depends on its stars to provide the laughs. But unfortunately for every good laugh there is a worst off scene which totally destroys the movie in parts.
Chaseyo2Jun 4, 2012
Somewhat comedic. I liked it, but didnt expect anything that happened, i wont spoil, but lets just say go in with an open mind, cause everything happens at random. Not as funny as i thought it would be, but it was good. Overall very worthSomewhat comedic. I liked it, but didnt expect anything that happened, i wont spoil, but lets just say go in with an open mind, cause everything happens at random. Not as funny as i thought it would be, but it was good. Overall very worth watching. Some suggestive parts, so i dont suggest children watch. And if your a teen, dont watch i with your parents. Awkward. Expand
RogerLegrandeOct 31, 2012
Very subjective but I love Carrell. Never seen Fey before but love this movie. Wahlberg is awesome. 10/10
Carrell is genius and camio by James Franco and Milan Kunis is fantastic. District attorney should get a pervert Oscar and Ray Liotta is so believable also. This film is the best midweek movie I've seen ever. Totally miffed I didn't go to a cinema to see it.
oblique15Apr 13, 2013
It`s a movie worth watching if you have a sense of humor, but don`t expect anything epic out of it. It`s an avr. comedy movie. No reason not to see it but won`t be missing anything if you don`t.
Compi24Jan 17, 2013
Despite its poor editing, frequent lapses in logic, and overuse of convention, "Date Night" is surprisingly made at least "watchable" thanks to a good handful of funny scenes from its two amiable lead performers.
BrianMcCriticJul 4, 2013
A decent comedy that gets a recommendation because of good chemistry by the leads Steve Carrel and Tina Fey. Just don't expect to see a great comedy.
MovieGuysAug 23, 2016
Date Night is a fine film for a Friday night, just nothing special. It plays into cliches of "the people get thrown into dire situation and rise to the occasion" and "bored married couple's life gets interesting". Nonetheless, it's justDate Night is a fine film for a Friday night, just nothing special. It plays into cliches of "the people get thrown into dire situation and rise to the occasion" and "bored married couple's life gets interesting". Nonetheless, it's just typical genre fare in the best sense it can be. Expand
lukechristianscMay 9, 2015
Carell and Fey's chemistry just chews up the screen with funny humor, great action. Director Shawn Levy's direction is to raunchy and he action was okay. Grade B
ryanneevmanAug 25, 2014
Its a comedy that feels really long, yet rushed at the same time. There are funny parts, but the unfunny ones(there are quite a lot) seem to take the joy at the few chuckles this rather lame comedy has to offer.