7.9

1. Feb 8, 2013
    If there was one zombie movie that really stood out in my head, It would have to be this one. Solid acting by the cast, Story fades as it goes on (the only negative imo), but the entertainment value more then makes up for it imo.
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    Considered by many to be the precursor to the zombie-obsessed lives we live in today, Dawn of the Dead unfortunately is an average survival flick. This one never seemed to grab for me.
  3. Mar 6, 2011
    This may seem like a b rated movie but it's not it's surprisingly well made movie, truly enjoyable if your into the zombie movie genre like I am, if you are this is a must see.
  4. Sep 27, 2011
    I never watched the original, but what I would recommend for "Dawn of the Dead" is to make a survival horror game rather than a movie. The ideas are fresh and tense, but its displayed using the wrong techniques.
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    i love the dawn of the dead remake and the original was even better . these are two movie that were the best remake films i have ever seen in my life
  6. j30
    Nov 27, 2011
    Zombies can run. Oh ****. Zach Snyder is behind the camera for this "better than average" remake of the great Dawn of the Dead. What makes this movie better than other horror remakes is that you actually care about the characters.
  7. Nov 22, 2014
    I can say with complete honesty that this remake of Dawn of the Dead is probably my favorite remake of any horror film. Its just a classic zombie flick and a must watch for any zombie lover. A strong cast is on display as well as some very realistic zombies.
  8. Mar 26, 2015
    This movie is what Resident Evil movies should have been. Story, characters, and sets are just amazing! Dawn of the Dead is labeled under horror because of the zombie theme but there is more action than frights.
  9. Mar 2, 2013
    One of the better zombie films out there and definitely one of the most entertaining with some great character work and solid special effects make-up. It's a remake of Romero's 70's Classic but made fresh for today's audience, and it works perfectly. A nice crop of actors give the characters life plus there's zombies like you've never seen before that really know how to run! It also hasOne of the better zombie films out there and definitely one of the most entertaining with some great character work and solid special effects make-up. It's a remake of Romero's 70's Classic but made fresh for today's audience, and it works perfectly. A nice crop of actors give the characters life plus there's zombies like you've never seen before that really know how to run! It also has the perfect setting in a shopping centre Overall a Horror classic and personal favourite of mine! Expand
  10. Apr 12, 2015
    This is a truly terrifying and captivating horror movie.Ving Rhames shines as the cop who don't take **** from anyone and the rest of the actors like Sarah Polley and Kevin Zegers are impressive.Highly entertaining movie.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    I've heard in the past that this film is awesome and scary. As a big The Walking Dead fan i can say that this film was not as I expected. Firstly, the characters are lame and boring with no good history. Secondly, The action was not impressive as i expected. You will like it if you are into these kind of films.. *The ending was worse than i expected. I expected everyone would die... tooI've heard in the past that this film is awesome and scary. As a big The Walking Dead fan i can say that this film was not as I expected. Firstly, the characters are lame and boring with no good history. Secondly, The action was not impressive as i expected. You will like it if you are into these kind of films.. *The ending was worse than i expected. I expected everyone would die... too much expectations i guess Expand
  12. Nov 19, 2011
    A great remake if you ask me. It was entertaining and interesting through out. Its nice to see a franchise get a much needed reboot and be a sucessful reboot as well. Acting wasnt good though.
  13. May 25, 2014
    One of the best Remakes that has been done and one of the best iv'e ever seen. The opening Ten minutes of the film is great and while it maybe not match the intensity of the original it does it's best to great you right into the action. The movie opens up to Sarah Polley(Ana) wakes up to find her husband being attacked by a zombie child. As she makes her way outside she then sees that theOne of the best Remakes that has been done and one of the best iv'e ever seen. The opening Ten minutes of the film is great and while it maybe not match the intensity of the original it does it's best to great you right into the action. The movie opens up to Sarah Polley(Ana) wakes up to find her husband being attacked by a zombie child. As she makes her way outside she then sees that the carnage is taking over city with huge explosions, buildings on fire, and helicopters everywhere. From then on out its a fight for survival not only by from zombies but from humans as well. Overall it's a good film i had a fun time watching it's in my top 5 zombie movies of the 2000's

7.5
  14. Feb 15, 2014
    This remake of the original Dawn of the Dead proves to be a more effective and powerful film than the original. It may not appeal to everyone, but for those who enjoy a good zombie film, this new take will certainly be a good choice.
  15. Dec 28, 2010
    the original dawn of the dead is easily the best zombie movie ever done ... the remake not so much . it does stick to the whole survivors holding out in the mall set up but thats really about it . its not a bad film but doesnt have the magic the original has . the zombie baby how ever was a creepy little thing .
  16. Mar 9, 2013
    At times Dawn of the Dead can be a bit skeptical. But overall it was really horrific and gorey nature which is what most people look for in a good not comedic zombie movie.
  17. Mar 3, 2012
    I am not really into gore, but this movie is fantastic in its genre. Beyond the gore, the construction of the characters is good; although, they had some fairly stereotypical ones (that is one of the reasons why I don't give this movie a 10). From a more analytical perspective, it is not just about horror, but also about how in extreme situations our human condition can either betray us,I am not really into gore, but this movie is fantastic in its genre. Beyond the gore, the construction of the characters is good; although, they had some fairly stereotypical ones (that is one of the reasons why I don't give this movie a 10). From a more analytical perspective, it is not just about horror, but also about how in extreme situations our human condition can either betray us, or strengthen us. Fate plays a role in our lives, but we always have a choice, even if there doesn't seem to be one. I definitely recommend it. Expand
  18. Apr 9, 2012
    One of the better zombie horror efforts of the last few years. It's not as apocalyptic as Romeros original but the storyline works well and the action scenes are good.
  19. Jul 17, 2014
    Dawn of the Dead (2004): 10 out of 10: I sympathize with the fan boys that feel any remake of Dawn of the Dead is religious sacrilegious. You get an emotional attachment to films that scared you in your youth. (One on mine is Assault on Precinct 13 that was remade recently and I just know I will be disappointed with the remake. I am still scared of ice cream trucks as a result of seeingDawn of the Dead (2004): 10 out of 10: I sympathize with the fan boys that feel any remake of Dawn of the Dead is religious sacrilegious. You get an emotional attachment to films that scared you in your youth. (One on mine is Assault on Precinct 13 that was remade recently and I just know I will be disappointed with the remake. I am still scared of ice cream trucks as a result of seeing that film when I was 9)

Remakes themselves have a well deserved bad reputation. (Easiest movie trivia question: What is the best film remake? The Maltese Falcon of course. That Humphrey Bogart perennial was a remake of a 1931 film of the same name. I'm sure back in 1941 that there were a couple of people complaining that Bogart was no Ricardo Cortez and the ruined the story by taking out the affair and homosexual subplots. The first film after all was a pre-code affair.)

Dawn of the Dead is in reality a different movie than the original. This is no shot for shot Psycho remake nor is it the same movie with a glossier CGI coat of paint. It is a faster more intense zombie film. It is one of the best action horror films of the last ten years. The opening twenty minutes in simply one of the scariest action packed sequences I have ever seen. By the time our band of protagonists gets to the mall they are not the only one's catching their breath.

It becomes a pretty good sized group at the mall and you end up slogging through some slow bits as the zombies eat it down to a more manageable size.The acting is across the board good and the effects are suitably gory and plentiful. Director Zack Snyder wisely dumps much of Romero's sociological subplots and replaces them with a more timely commentary. (Instead of zombies as consumer motif we have shooting undead celebrities. And instead of an outwardly hostile motorcycle gang, we have a more subtle power struggle between the otherwise powerless.)

The updates honestly work, as a more literal remake would have simply fallen flat. Is Dawn of the Dead better than the original? I won't say. Is it one of the best films of 2004? Yes. Is it better than Romero's own sequel Day of the Dead? Good Lord yes.
  20. Feb 8, 2012
    Unfortunately, the Dawn of the Dead remake (original was made in 1978) didn't live up to the prior expectations I had placed on the film upon hearing how good it is from my friends. Character development was virtually non-existent as the director instead opted to introduce more unnecessary empty shells as the movie progressed. The blood and gore was fine yet the zombies seemed more humanUnfortunately, the Dawn of the Dead remake (original was made in 1978) didn't live up to the prior expectations I had placed on the film upon hearing how good it is from my friends. Character development was virtually non-existent as the director instead opted to introduce more unnecessary empty shells as the movie progressed. The blood and gore was fine yet the zombies seemed more human than any recent flick of the same genre that I've seen recently. There's also a few cheesy moments which could have been left out. Expand
  21. Jun 29, 2011
    In order to judge this movie, you must look at it in two ways. First, since it is billed as a remake of the original, and not a re-imagining, one must look at how it holds up to the original. The original is, by far better then this. The remake lacks the overarching criticism of consumerism that the original had. The remake specials effects are obviously better, but that is a given. TheIn order to judge this movie, you must look at it in two ways. First, since it is billed as a remake of the original, and not a re-imagining, one must look at how it holds up to the original. The original is, by far better then this. The remake lacks the overarching criticism of consumerism that the original had. The remake specials effects are obviously better, but that is a given. The original is scarier in the traditional sense. The remake is almost more of a thriller. Many plot points are not carried over into the remake. Both versions deliver what you want, a great zombie movie with lots of zombies kills and suspense. So, when compared to the original, it scores around a 6.5. However, when looking at the film in it's on right, if you saw this before the original, it is much better. The special effects as mentioned are very good. There is a large cast of characters, so there are lots of main character deaths. We seem to be left with only the characters we pity at the end, which is good. When not compared with the original, the plot is refreshing. There are plenty of suspenseful sequences, and a great introduction to what the world has come to through the eyes of the main character. No zombie movie is complete without a great introduction to the zombie ridden world. The remake triumphs the original in that sense, since we already knew what happened in the original, based on events in Night of the Living Dead. The film also does a good job of making the mall seem real, by creating a lot of fake, yet believable brands. So, in it's own right, without looking at the original, the remake of Dawn of the Dead would get an 8.75. So, when averaged with the score of a 6.5 when compared with the original, the remake of Dawn of the Dead would get a 7.625. That rounds up to an 8, which is my score for the remake. That is of course compared to the 10 that I would give the original. Expand
  22. May 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the unrated version of this film and I have to admit; it's pretty entertaining, despite how dumb it is. The writing is actually quite mediocre but I still enjoyed the quarrels among the survivors, the tragic events taking place (the zombie baby, for example) and the gory zombie action. It's not a must-watch (it is no comparison to The Walking Dead) but it's a pretty decent zombie movie overall. Expand
  23. May 1, 2011
    As much as I love Romero's 1978 classic, I must agree with fellow movie buffs who say that this particular remake was unfairly prejudiced and slandered upon release. The movie sticks pretty much to the basic plot; a group of people hide out in an abandoned shopping center during a zombie apocalypse. That's all there is to it. The acting was good and some of the comedy moments were actuallyAs much as I love Romero's 1978 classic, I must agree with fellow movie buffs who say that this particular remake was unfairly prejudiced and slandered upon release. The movie sticks pretty much to the basic plot; a group of people hide out in an abandoned shopping center during a zombie apocalypse. That's all there is to it. The acting was good and some of the comedy moments were actually pretty funny (Hollywood Squares, anyone?). Of course, seeing as it was shot in the modern era of the zombie flick, there is just enough blood and huts to satisfy any gorehound. The zombies looked scary and WERE scary simply due to the fact that they could sprint (a cliche started by 28 Days Later). The heavy metal soundtrack really helped the atmosphere of a zombie invasion and went great with zombie-killing. In sum, an underrated horror movie. Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2014
    Great remake, scary and the story keep catching the viewer until the end. I liked the acting, I don't think that I would change something. That's ok..
  25. Dec 8, 2014
    This movie is a good thriller movie which shows what its like to be in a zombie apocalypse. It may not be that scary, but it is a good movie overall. It starts off with a scary intro which also has an interesting storyline. Unlike most horror movies, this movie has a good ending. However like most zombie movies, it has a common fault-Not using the word 'zombie'. I think this is probablyThis movie is a good thriller movie which shows what its like to be in a zombie apocalypse. It may not be that scary, but it is a good movie overall. It starts off with a scary intro which also has an interesting storyline. Unlike most horror movies, this movie has a good ending. However like most zombie movies, it has a common fault-Not using the word 'zombie'. I think this is probably the best zombie film compared to other zombie films. Expand
  26. Oct 26, 2012
    Okay, first and foremost, the zombies themselves have issues. They DONT behave like zombies. They REACT to injury. Minor injuries can CRIPPLE them. They can PICK UP things and USE things. They can think for crying out loud. They can RUN. And why is the incubation period so erratically different its ridiculous. The protagonist's husband who is bitten at the start of the movie turns like aOkay, first and foremost, the zombies themselves have issues. They DONT behave like zombies. They REACT to injury. Minor injuries can CRIPPLE them. They can PICK UP things and USE things. They can think for crying out loud. They can RUN. And why is the incubation period so erratically different its ridiculous. The protagonist's husband who is bitten at the start of the movie turns like a few seconds whereas another character who I wont mention to avoid spoiling the plot turns after what seems like a WEEK after being bitten. Its ridiculous. Oh and get what, BURNING zombies kills them. I can hear people cutting themselves to that/ Pro tip to those out there who dont know how to the survive the zombie apocalypse: Zombies are DEAD people who are infected with a BLOOD-BORNE virus (though this is debatable in other variations) that kills the host and takes control of their body after they are deceased. They want to feast on ALL living things INCLUDING animals. They are slow and can at best, jog if a prey attracts them. They can grab for things mindlessly but they CANT open doors, use weapons or pick up things, Zack Snyder! Nor can they be CRIPPLE by minor wounds like gunshots - they DONT feel PAIN, they're DEAD. Oh and Mr Snyder, the makeup of the zombies, why do they look like HUMANS instead of badly mauled walking corpses? The lines are horrible at times while at other instances they're brilliantly written. There are some tense moments but in most cases, you'll be just yelling at the screen and be utterly frustrated at how ridiculously naive, dumb and stupid the characters are. Seriously. For instance, stupidity No. 1: NO ONE knew what made the people turn into zombies despite many of them seeing people get bitten and turning e.g the protagonist's husband. Not only until around 1/3 of the way into the movie do the main characters realize "Oh maybe its the bite?" *facepalm* You are tell obviously who's gonna die (and they do) and you'll be cutting yourself at the most stupidass things the characters would do. WHY, WHY would you GO AFTER your DOG amidst the HUNDREDS of zombies that want to EAT you IF you know they WONT hurt your dog? Srsly that thing there, is what caused the plot to climax and end as it did. Had that certain character NOT gone after her dog and stayed with the plan, I am sure NO ONE would've been killed. And WHY do the characters just use **** pistols and shotguns? You have a GUNSTORE for God's sakes, there are things called RIFLES that are MORE accurate and also automatic & semi-automatic weapons all with a crapload of ammo. Why not just clear the streets? Why not use the damn rifles? Seriously the ENTIRE movie, they just stick to horrible horrible pistols (GLOCKS just damn GLOCKS for crying out loud. There must be Desert Eagles and M9's lying around in the store!) and those mediocre cop shotguns. Had they used a M16, M4A1 Carbine, SAW machine gun or hell even a plain old Lee Einfield, I am sure everyone would've survived. This is a movie that you watch drunk with your buddies on a Friday night. You'll probably watch it and forget about it, and probably switch to playing Left 4 Dead. The original 1970's Dawn of the Dead is vastly superior despite the outdated makeup effects. Watch that. Avoid this insult to the zombie canon pile of excrement at all costs. Hell even the ending is lacking. A braindead film that absolutely wont want to feast upon. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best zombies movie ever, don't miss it. i love this movie and i think everyone should watch it. I Promise, you will enjoy it, even if you hate movies with zombies Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2014
    I think this movie is a lot better than the ratings show. It kept the same basic story line as the original one, just with better technology. It has some good actors in it, and at times it made you laugh. In most cases it's hard to have a remake as good as the original but this one did the job correctly. I would have to say it's definitely worth watching, and you should take the time toI think this movie is a lot better than the ratings show. It kept the same basic story line as the original one, just with better technology. It has some good actors in it, and at times it made you laugh. In most cases it's hard to have a remake as good as the original but this one did the job correctly. I would have to say it's definitely worth watching, and you should take the time to watch it because I don't think you'll be disappointed. Expand
  29. Jun 3, 2012
    i like it but only problem is it no remero movie it remake of his classic movie but i prefer the original the zombie in this one are fast ones show in this movie decaying look of zombies. but no matter what i like remero ones
  30. Nov 5, 2011
    YES! This remake of Romero's original film is WAY much better. A perfect cast, with suspense, more zombies, action, and a very fantastic plot. If you like zombies - Watch this film!
  31. Jan 14, 2013
    Considered on its own merits alone, it's a passable zombie movie with a memorable opening and epilogue and a blandly forgettable everything else. Only one character that the audience knows or cares about fails to pull through, with all the other deaths happening to the cardboard cutouts that pass for 80% of the characters as an excuse to have gore for its own sake. Lots of interestingConsidered on its own merits alone, it's a passable zombie movie with a memorable opening and epilogue and a blandly forgettable everything else. Only one character that the audience knows or cares about fails to pull through, with all the other deaths happening to the cardboard cutouts that pass for 80% of the characters as an excuse to have gore for its own sake. Lots of interesting ideas that become mere filler due to superficial half-treatment. The movie is good for a few scares here and there, but it pales terribly when compared to the original. Gone is Romero's social commentary, replaced by admirable yet insufficient earnestness, and there lies the film's true failing: it takes itself more seriously than it lets the audience take it. Expand
  32. Apr 28, 2015
    On the heels of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, the newfangled Dawn Of The Dead streamlines another scrappy horror classic by discarding everything special about it in favor of pure visceral effect. Swarming with zombies on both sides of the camera, the film is unrelentingly relentless, leaving no room for original director George Romero's wry satire on consumerism or his slow-paced,On the heels of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, the newfangled Dawn Of The Dead streamlines another scrappy horror classic by discarding everything special about it in favor of pure visceral effect. Swarming with zombies on both sides of the camera, the film is unrelentingly relentless, leaving no room for original director George Romero's wry satire on consumerism or his slow-paced, creeping undead. As in 28 Days Later, which at least makes gestures toward social commentary, the zombies are fast and focused, barely pausing to savor "Brains! Brains!" before dashing off to the next fresh kill. Responding only to hot lead, they give first-time director Zack Snyder a chance to test how many subhuman heads can get blown to smithereens before the MPAA issues an NC-17 rating. (Answer: Several dozen and counting.)

Looking lost in the grindhouse, an overqualified Sarah Polley stars as a suburban Milwaukee nurse who wakes to a virus that turns her boyfriend and a neighbor child into flesh-eating savages and converts her cul-de-sac into a zombie apocalypse. Banding together with a few survivors, including tough cop Ving Rhames, Mekhi Phifer and his pregnant wife (Inna Korobkina), and down-to-earth hunk Jake Weber, Polley and friends hole up at a local mall run by overzealous security guards. During the long standoff with the zombies outside, they devise an escape plan right out of the Clint Eastwood vehicle The Gauntlet while contending with infighting and new infections.

Tasteless and gratuitous enough on its own terms, this Dawn Of The Dead would still be much more palatable had the original never existed. As it stands, the remake is akin to an Animal House knockoff staged at a country retreat and called The Rules Of The Game. Gone are Romero's wickedly funny riffs on malls as consumer utopias; they're replaced by a pack of bickering ninnies, smugly ironic Muzak versions of songs like "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and "All By Myself," and, worst of all, product placements at every turn. With his background in commercials, Snyder was either inured to Romero's point or too concerned with nailing the important technical details, such as overhead shots of propane-tank explosions or the gooey sound of an unborn mutant sloshing around in amniotic fluid. Confusing body count with intensity, the new Dawn Of The Dead could be a metaphor for how little Hollywood values human life, if only it had a brain ripe enough to feast on.
  33. Sep 27, 2013
    Why is everyone so stupid? Why did the mall security have guns? Why didn't they just shoot the mall security guards in the face when they had them outgunned and out armed? Why didn't security try to team up with more survivors instead of trying to get rid of them when there are safety in numbers? Why does the power tripping SG not arm anyone while they are out doing objectives? Why does noWhy is everyone so stupid? Why did the mall security have guns? Why didn't they just shoot the mall security guards in the face when they had them outgunned and out armed? Why didn't security try to team up with more survivors instead of trying to get rid of them when there are safety in numbers? Why does the power tripping SG not arm anyone while they are out doing objectives? Why does no one know these things are zombies? Why is the ego tripping security guard locking up other survivors other than just to have some random in the movie? Why is he concerned about people stealing stuff in a zombie Apocalypse? Why do people act like wood when they are told that everyone they know is dead?This is my mind running through the fist 20 or so minutes. God help me though this movie...... Expand
  34. Mar 15, 2013
    Dawn of the Dead is horrible. The characters aren't even worthy of mention because all of them are so horrible and one dimensional. The movie tries to be realistic like every other zombie movie, but it doesn't realize that zombies are rotting corpses and can't run (zombies are unrealistic entirely, but that's for another rant.) This movie is terrible, and even watching it with a friend asDawn of the Dead is horrible. The characters aren't even worthy of mention because all of them are so horrible and one dimensional. The movie tries to be realistic like every other zombie movie, but it doesn't realize that zombies are rotting corpses and can't run (zombies are unrealistic entirely, but that's for another rant.) This movie is terrible, and even watching it with a friend as a joke wouldn't be fun. 1/10 because the effects were pretty good I guess. Expand
  35. Oct 24, 2010
    Sometimes you wonder whether people even watched this movie or just dismissed it as "lesser" than the favorite Romero-classic from 78 without even giving it a chance. I mean "Paranormal Activity", the worst **** atrocity I've ever seen, has a better metascore. I'm probably one of the most pretentious cinema snobs that you'll ever meet, but I loved this movie. It's miles better than theSometimes you wonder whether people even watched this movie or just dismissed it as "lesser" than the favorite Romero-classic from 78 without even giving it a chance. I mean "Paranormal Activity", the worst **** atrocity I've ever seen, has a better metascore. I'm probably one of the most pretentious cinema snobs that you'll ever meet, but I loved this movie. It's miles better than the original, which is revolutionary, sure, but has much flatter characters and lesser development. And don't give me any of the "striking critique of capitalism"-nonsense; that "mall-shoppers are like zombies" is as shallow a symbol as a 14-year-old punk-rocker who just discovered Bill Hicks would come up with. Expand
  36. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible. If you're into horribly cliche characters, plot holes and overall unrealistic behavior then this movie is definitely for you! There's little to no reason for an infection, pointless characters that only exist for a plot device and cliche lines from every single character. Unneeded sad parts for characters with no back story whatsoever and to top it's not scary in the slightest; at most it's gross from the tons of fake blood they spent most of their budget on making this. It's the lowest of the low in zombie movies. Expand
  37. JeffersonT.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Forgets about any intelligence or playfulness that the original had. Another waste of time.
  38. RebeccaB.
    May 30, 2004
    Wow, it's awesome and it's by far the best of it kind I have ever seen. I love ZOMBIES and ZOMBIE movies and I was on the edge of my seat through out the entire film. In ways yes it is better then the original but I always will love the original more because of its originality and campyness. I just hope that everyone gives the remake a chance before making up their minds. Yours Wow, it's awesome and it's by far the best of it kind I have ever seen. I love ZOMBIES and ZOMBIE movies and I was on the edge of my seat through out the entire film. In ways yes it is better then the original but I always will love the original more because of its originality and campyness. I just hope that everyone gives the remake a chance before making up their minds. Yours Truly Zombie Girl! Expand
  39. DorianS.
    Apr 5, 2008
    Hell, this movie was great,blood and all that,but the problem is,the zombies are too fast.I was first scared by the movie,but later,it was fun
  40. JesseR.
    Feb 2, 2010
    I've seen worse zombie flicks but none that took this much money 2 fail so miserably. Nick Cannon is terrible (which is still pretty good for Nick Cannon acting), Mena is unbelieveable (not in a good way) as the heroine, and "Bud" (still pissed about that one) is the undead proof that this movie is an abomination. Avoid this @ all costs unless it's simply to watch the movie w/ I've seen worse zombie flicks but none that took this much money 2 fail so miserably. Nick Cannon is terrible (which is still pretty good for Nick Cannon acting), Mena is unbelieveable (not in a good way) as the heroine, and "Bud" (still pissed about that one) is the undead proof that this movie is an abomination. Avoid this @ all costs unless it's simply to watch the movie w/ the commentary on and listen how they weakly try to defend the movie ("You think you can do better?"). Expand
  41. Chuck76
    May 5, 2004
    As a massive fan of the original "Dead" series I viewed this film with trepidation, but I'll try and give this movie a fair review without too many references to the original. After an initial moody slow opening couple of minutes the movie bursts into life with a fantastic opening sequence showing the downfall of society easily the best part of the film, I just wish it was a little As a massive fan of the original "Dead" series I viewed this film with trepidation, but I'll try and give this movie a fair review without too many references to the original. After an initial moody slow opening couple of minutes the movie bursts into life with a fantastic opening sequence showing the downfall of society easily the best part of the film, I just wish it was a little longer. Then after some excellent opening credits it quickly turns into a run of the mill blood bath, shooting gallery affair where the olympic sprinter zombies are no more than cannon fodder little time is given to the fact that the zombies used to be just like us. There are no sly references to our consumerism in fact, there's nothing at all smart in this film whatsoever. Some plotlines which you're desperate for the director to follow get left untouched and instead the characters do stupid things putting themselves at risk. Though some of the charcaters in the film are actually quite likeable and need developing, they're outnumbered by badly written stereotypes. There are also some glaring mistakes but you get the feeling that it wasn't in the studios plans to give it's audience anything more than a film with zombies in it and to hell with anything else the public are too stupid to want anything deeper. The sad thing is I can see where they're coming from, judging by other peoples reviews they seem to be blown away by it so who can blame hollywood for giving the people what they want for as little effort as possible. I could rant on all day about how it doesn't live up to the original but most wont care and would probably find the original movie and the zombies too slow. All in all there are some really shocking moments and computer effects used quite well, I just wish Romero could be let loose with all of these modern movie making tools that are used in even the lowest budget movies these days. But studios are scared to release so much control to a director so they stick with no-mark directors thay can push around to get the cheapest most bloodthirsty results. And that kind of sums the movie up it is very watchable and you will probably leave feeling satisfied that enough zombies were blown away, just make sure you leave your brain at home. Expand
  42. CameronS.
    Jun 4, 2004
    I am a big fan of George A. Romero?s zombie classics Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The latter film is a fun action movie, it contains many great scares, gore galore, and has biting humor in a world where humor is dying with the dead civilization. The characters are also well developed and the film is focused primarily on four stranded refugees in a vast mall, the pinnacle I am a big fan of George A. Romero?s zombie classics Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The latter film is a fun action movie, it contains many great scares, gore galore, and has biting humor in a world where humor is dying with the dead civilization. The characters are also well developed and the film is focused primarily on four stranded refugees in a vast mall, the pinnacle of the 20th Century, while also creating many comic zombie fellows roaming the mall. Absent are the things that made Romero?s film a great horror-comedy achievement. The poorly shot and imprudently edited actions scenes are incomprehensible to a point where it is hard to tell what?s going on. There are far many more characters this time around, whose sole purpose is to get killed violently by the films climax. However, something did survive into this remake, and that?s the comedy. The film is terribly funny, making for something of an entertaining piece. What I especially liked about the much better zombie movie ?Return of the Living Dead? was that the characters lived in a world where zombie movies existed, especially Romero?s films. The characters, as dumb as they were at times knew that they were dealing with zombies. I note this because there is a scene when all the excess characters show up they wheel in a woman who is clearly about to turn into the dead, with her gray skin highlighting and her dying green veins becoming clearly noticeable. I was just thinking how dumb these people would have to be to let someone they knew would be turning into the mall. Note to everybody: when somebody is greyly pale with their veins popping out and the smell of death, don?t let them into your place of refugee. The direction is quite sophomoric and the screenplay is a serviceable homage to the original while coming up with some original tact and wit of its own, though it plays with the usual thoughts and clichés of most modern horror films. That being understood, the acting is quite serviceable for this kind of movie, with Ving Rhames spouting lines so intrepidly panicky they come off exceedingly humorous. The film feels terribly inspired by the far superior 28 Days Later, but not stealing anything that would have made a difference, like the anti-cliché of instant infection. Now we have zombies that are faster but just as dumb who can tip mobile vehicles that weigh several tons but are unable to break through a glass door. I didn?t wholly dislike this film, but I am curious as to why anybody would want to see this picture over Romero?s own classic. But a good comment I would like to say about it, it is far better than Tom Savini?s trite, inane, and ghastly Night of the Living Dead remake or even Romero?s own humdrum, flavorless, spendthrift, feeble Day of the Dead. But then again, that?s not much of an accomplishment either. Expand
  43. MarkB.
    Jul 2, 2004
    If you're going to enjoy this very effective, high-energy rethinking of George A. Romero's 1979 cult classic, you're going to have to accept the fact that these are not your father's flesh-eating zombies. Rather than being the old-school Romero variety, who move (and think) so slowly that. logically speaking, you're fairly safe unless a group of them representing If you're going to enjoy this very effective, high-energy rethinking of George A. Romero's 1979 cult classic, you're going to have to accept the fact that these are not your father's flesh-eating zombies. Rather than being the old-school Romero variety, who move (and think) so slowly that. logically speaking, you're fairly safe unless a group of them representing about half the population of Delaware happens to gang up on you, these are state-of-the-art Danny Boyle zombies, who, speed-wise, not only could take on any and all participants in this year's Summer Olympics track and field competitions, but have them eaten, digested and burped before they even saw the finish line! (At least we can all be grateful that these aren't Lucio Fulci zombies, who don't do a whole lot other than look simultaneously disgusting and unconvincing.) Director Zack Snyder retains not only the tension of Romero's original (and, like Romero, reminds us that the zombies, who are only responding to instinct, aren't nearly as terrifying as us people when we're acting out of greed, irrationality or panic) but also its satiric "bite" (the depiction of a tony shopping mall where the humans hide out is a small masterpiece of art direction that will not, repeat NOT receive any Oscar recognition whatsoever...but should). Snyder and writer James Gunn (the Scooby-Doo movies, of all things) even add a few imaginative twists, variations and questions that weren't brought up in any of Romero's Living Dead trilogy...what ABOUT animals, f'rinstance? Above all, we have a terrific new action heroine: Sarah Polley emerges from wispy roles in Atom Egoyan films to become a Bonafide Kick-Ass Babe. If you threw her in an arena against Alien's Ellen Ripley, The Terminator's Sarah Connor, and Kill Bill's The Bride, and let them fight it out for their lives, who would be the last woman standing? There's absolutely no way to tell! Expand
  44. ChrisM
    May 13, 2005
    K.J. I find it seriously worrying and a tad disturbing that you could laugh at a scene such as the birth scene. The way people compare this movie to the original then shun it is crap. The move is exciting and fun to watch and overall that's the point of a movie, to entertain. Dawn of the Dead is one of the most enjoyable films I've seen.
  45. RD.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Very good remake. I have not seen the original. So I won't compare it with the remake. But this is a good movie and very entertaining and creepy. TH emovie is especially good for a first time director and the ending is very good provided you stay till the end of the credits.
  46. AdamW.
    Mar 1, 2009
    This movie is the pinnacle of epic zombie movies that are also funny.
  47. HanS.
    Dec 2, 2004
    Really good Remake!
  48. AbbyH.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This movie was okay. I mean, if you like watching people sit around in an empty mall all day. WHERE'S THE ACTION AND EXCITMENT. And by the way if you watch the movie carefully there's a millions of mistakes. The characters in the film don't act as scared as people would be in real life. I mean, if that really happened everyone would be scared out of their minds. Their not. This movie was okay. I mean, if you like watching people sit around in an empty mall all day. WHERE'S THE ACTION AND EXCITMENT. And by the way if you watch the movie carefully there's a millions of mistakes. The characters in the film don't act as scared as people would be in real life. I mean, if that really happened everyone would be scared out of their minds. Their not. See What I Mean!!!!!!! I like "28 days Later" much better than this s..t. At least 28 days later is more realistic and scary. Expand
  49. NateG.
    Mar 18, 2004
    Let's face it most remakes are a joke...first time director Zack Snyder makes the material his own taking on the reigns of Romero and puts a nice stylized version of something we've seen over and over before into a worthwhile film. The cast help the material along with great special effects by Savini, plus most of the humor from the series is retained. Too bad the Pittsburgh Let's face it most remakes are a joke...first time director Zack Snyder makes the material his own taking on the reigns of Romero and puts a nice stylized version of something we've seen over and over before into a worthwhile film. The cast help the material along with great special effects by Savini, plus most of the humor from the series is retained. Too bad the Pittsburgh setting was not utilized, but this is a film that has promise even to those that ranted on about how awesome 28 DAYS LATER was. Only disappointing factor was the outrageous and insincere Rob Zombie-esque ending, which almost made this ship go down faster than the Hinderberg. Lucky for the viewer the rest of the film was memorable enough and entertaining to make us still satisfied. Expand
  50. RhysL.
    Mar 20, 2004
    As a remake I can not really say if this film is better or worse then the original. I can say though that I felt that this film had a much better pace then the original. I felt the tension in this film from start to stop... and even on the walk to my car. The twists and turns just felt better in this movie then in the original. I appreciated that humor was kept in the film and it really As a remake I can not really say if this film is better or worse then the original. I can say though that I felt that this film had a much better pace then the original. I felt the tension in this film from start to stop... and even on the walk to my car. The twists and turns just felt better in this movie then in the original. I appreciated that humor was kept in the film and it really helped build up the characters and a momentary repreve from the building tension ( a repreve but not a total wall because even in the humor the tension was still there ) . My only real problem with the film when compaired to the original is its lack of soul... in the original every thing was a sutble... and sometimes not so subtle ... commentary on something... from relations between people and modern comercialism. This film did however incorporate many parts from Day of the dead... like the conflict between two groups Ie in Day the Millitary and the others... in this one it is not the same groups... and it does kinda defuse... but it is still there. Eitherway, as entertainment I think this film is better. If you are looking for a movie where the zombies are a metaphor as apposed to ... well zombies you may want to check out the original film. I myself would suggest that you see both and deside for yourself. Expand
  51. Julz
    Mar 21, 2004
    Having seen the 1979 original picture, I am quite impressed with the revised release.
  52. MitchM.
    Mar 20, 2004
    I rate movies based on how much I feel people should see them, not by how high-brow they are or how serious the topic is. Dawn of the Dead is flat out amazingly FUN!! I saw it at the midnight show on opening night, and the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's thrilling, funny, visually exciting, and absolutley never boring. It has you on the edge of your seat from about the fifth minute I rate movies based on how much I feel people should see them, not by how high-brow they are or how serious the topic is. Dawn of the Dead is flat out amazingly FUN!! I saw it at the midnight show on opening night, and the crowd went absolutely nuts. It's thrilling, funny, visually exciting, and absolutley never boring. It has you on the edge of your seat from about the fifth minute until the end of the credits. DON'T YOU DARE leave before the last credit like a couple of fools did during our show. Sarah Polley is terrific as usual, Ving Rhames plays his role like a champ, and the rest of the cast is uniformly solid. The original Dawn of the Dead was a staple of my youth, but as far as remakes go, this one is right there with it. It's just flat-out exciting. And by the way, it blows that piece of crap 28 Days out of the water. I definitely have to see this one again. Expand
  53. DavidL.
    Mar 31, 2004
    An impressively sustained shot of pure adrenaline. brilliantly directed, strikingly designed and shot; witty, knuckle-whiteningly suspenseful, and truly creepy...just a blast all around.
  54. MichaelR.
    Mar 31, 2004
    This is a great, strait-up zombie film. Fans of the original Dawn may be disappointed, though, that there really isn't any political satire to be seen in the movie, but there is enough humor and action in the film to make it worth the trip anyway. Also, this might just be me, but I think there was a nod to Evil Dead in via character Steve, who reminds me a hell of a lot of Ash. He is This is a great, strait-up zombie film. Fans of the original Dawn may be disappointed, though, that there really isn't any political satire to be seen in the movie, but there is enough humor and action in the film to make it worth the trip anyway. Also, this might just be me, but I think there was a nod to Evil Dead in via character Steve, who reminds me a hell of a lot of Ash. He is sarcastic just like Ash, and the actor they have play him looks a bit like Bruce Campbell. I do think he even wields a chainsaw for a short bit in one scene. Anyway, fun movie. Better than most of the horror movies to come out in the past years. Expand
  55. BillR.
    Mar 30, 2004
    Okay, so the zombies aren't the 'complex, pathos-infused' originals of Romero (whatever - I'll believe *that* sh*t when I see them open their mouths to emote) and they run, jump and scamper just like they did in the soulless, overpraised black hole that was 28 Days Later. But this remake is taut and deft enough, with fairly solid performances across the board; Polley, Okay, so the zombies aren't the 'complex, pathos-infused' originals of Romero (whatever - I'll believe *that* sh*t when I see them open their mouths to emote) and they run, jump and scamper just like they did in the soulless, overpraised black hole that was 28 Days Later. But this remake is taut and deft enough, with fairly solid performances across the board; Polley, Rhames, Weber, Phifer, etc. (though nothing superlative, of course - it's a frickin' ZOMBIE movie, after all). The drama isn't terribly potent, feels a wee too practiced at times for comfort, but what was there had me interested enough in the fates of these mallrats to keep watching. And that's a lot more than I can say for Boyle's movie. As usual, one too many characters are competing for adequate screentime for this yarn to be any better than it - in select scenes - aspires to be. Often feels like a power struggle between the commercial-minded and non-conformist too. But Dawn of the Dead '04 is surprisingly watchable overall - I would actually go so far as to say I liked it. Expand
  56. DouglasH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Great Movie.. Exceeded my expectations.
  57. SuzyS.
    Apr 20, 2004
    I loved this movie! Yes, it had a few errors (and I'm usually such a stickler that one is enough to turn me off), and the dialogue wasn't Shakespeare -- but, all-in-all, I was given a good scare AND a few laughs. It beat 28 Days Later, hands-down. (Although, it could be that I had HUGE hopes for 28 Days Later and suffered SUCH a let-down that I was reticent about expecting too I loved this movie! Yes, it had a few errors (and I'm usually such a stickler that one is enough to turn me off), and the dialogue wasn't Shakespeare -- but, all-in-all, I was given a good scare AND a few laughs. It beat 28 Days Later, hands-down. (Although, it could be that I had HUGE hopes for 28 Days Later and suffered SUCH a let-down that I was reticent about expecting too much from Dawn of the Dead.) It might also be that I didn't actually see the first Dawn of the Dead (1979) until AFTER seeing this re-make. To be honest, the social commentary in the first wasn't any more or less evident than in the second (to me, anyway). Two thumbs up for a really enjoyable zombie movie -- FINALLY!! Expand
  58. StringerB.
    Apr 28, 2004
    Still (4/28/04) the BEST, most exciting, funniest movie of the year by a wide margin. This movie MUST be seen on the big screen, so check it out soon!!! There must be a sequel, too, so MAKE it!
  59. EricB.
    Apr 5, 2004
    SWEET!!!
  60. Wetwebwork
    Apr 5, 2004
    A damn fine Zombie flick; has everything you could want from a horror movie.
  61. EdL.
    Feb 8, 2006
    Absolutely the BEST zombie movie I have ever seen. Blood, suspense, head shots - you get it all with this one. Nice that you get zombies that actually RUN... much more terrifying that other remakes that show the zombies trudging around as if doped up with valium.
  62. CodyB.r
    Jun 5, 2009
    Most people praise this movie for the epic masterpiece it is, some dumbasses pan it. Just because those people loved the original so much, they think remakes shouldn't be made. They never really got into the storyline because they are so hyped by the original dawn of the dead that they can't see the substance in this epic film and see it as "just a remake". This film is an Most people praise this movie for the epic masterpiece it is, some dumbasses pan it. Just because those people loved the original so much, they think remakes shouldn't be made. They never really got into the storyline because they are so hyped by the original dawn of the dead that they can't see the substance in this epic film and see it as "just a remake". This film is an original of its own. Remakes aren't replicas of the original movies, dumbasses. They give more originality and creativity of their own and see what it would be like in modern times, that's all. This is the best zombie masterpiece besides left 4 dead. Expand
  63. MikeW.
    Oct 26, 2004
    Being a fan of the original Dawn of the Dead, I came into this movie expecting the worst. I was surprised, the movie is ok, I do like how they change alot of things from the original as opposed to a carbon copy.
  64. ThomasA.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Any movie where they shoot the zombie of Burt Reynolds deserves a 10. :-)
  65. GuppyM.
    Oct 28, 2004
    This was a highly enjoyable visual rout. I am a fan of the original & would like to have seen Romero's remake given the technical capabilities these days. The zombies ARE quick which makes them very formidable whilst still retaining their eye rolling, wall licking, instinctual stupidity. This makes for a much more tense atmosphere as you are not waiting 10 minutes for them to finally This was a highly enjoyable visual rout. I am a fan of the original & would like to have seen Romero's remake given the technical capabilities these days. The zombies ARE quick which makes them very formidable whilst still retaining their eye rolling, wall licking, instinctual stupidity. This makes for a much more tense atmosphere as you are not waiting 10 minutes for them to finally reach their prey. [as per Shaun Of The Dead] The humour of the original is retained & it brings light relief of the sombre situation. [see the mall's security guard rant & the Burt Reynolds shooting]. Yes there are some holes & yes it does not retain Romero's comennt on social utopia but if the director tried to do this he was on a loser from the start as it would have fallen short anyway. An excellent film if you lie back & stop trying to peel it into layers. Enjoy. Expand
  66. JustinH.
    Oct 29, 2004
    I would quailfy this as more of a tribute film than a Remake. It doesn't capture the social commentary of the orignal but it does delevier a bloody good time as a pure zombie run and gun. So bottom line, rent it, buy the oringal.
  67. Brandon
    Mar 19, 2004
    I found this film to be awesome. It took the goofy, unscary, corny (sometimes funny) elements of the original Dawn of the Dead and threw them out. Snyder makes the zombies look realistic, scary, the fact that they run is awsome because now their not slow and retarded. These zombies show some intelligence. The characters are cleaver and you feel for them when one dies. I liked the constant I found this film to be awesome. It took the goofy, unscary, corny (sometimes funny) elements of the original Dawn of the Dead and threw them out. Snyder makes the zombies look realistic, scary, the fact that they run is awsome because now their not slow and retarded. These zombies show some intelligence. The characters are cleaver and you feel for them when one dies. I liked the constant action. Finally, they use a propane tank to blow up zombies, i have been waiting to see that forever. Resident Evil was a total let down. I found Dawn of the Dead to be one hell of a good movie. Snyder was also very cleaver on finding a way of keeping the viewers after the credits, which was very intelligent. Good Movie. Expand
  68. TonyF.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Let me just start off by saying "Dawn of the Dead" ('04) is a good movie. It has action, thrills, gore, and some great camera work. Sadly it also lacks much of what made the Original "Dawn" so amazing. You should also know that the new "Dawn" is less of a re-make and more of a reworking. The stories of the two aren't even very similar. They both work great as zombie movies but Let me just start off by saying "Dawn of the Dead" ('04) is a good movie. It has action, thrills, gore, and some great camera work. Sadly it also lacks much of what made the Original "Dawn" so amazing. You should also know that the new "Dawn" is less of a re-make and more of a reworking. The stories of the two aren't even very similar. They both work great as zombie movies but they are most definitely two DIFFERENT zombie movies. My only wish is that this movie will make people go out and watch the Original and find out why it?s one of the best Horror/ Zombie films of all time. Expand
  69. AllieM.
    Mar 21, 2004
    I loved it! any movie that can be funny and scary is a great movie!
  70. DavidB.
    Fun.
  71. BarryB.
    Mar 21, 2004
    This movie rates a "10" when compared to other horror films. I left this movie totally wired and unnerved. The last movie that made me feel this way was the original Evil Dead. The director sets up the great premise in terrific fashion (e.g. - he protrays what it would really be like if the dead came to life, and there isn't a false note in the movie in that that's what This movie rates a "10" when compared to other horror films. I left this movie totally wired and unnerved. The last movie that made me feel this way was the original Evil Dead. The director sets up the great premise in terrific fashion (e.g. - he protrays what it would really be like if the dead came to life, and there isn't a false note in the movie in that that's what you'd expect it to be like if in fact the dead came to life. In the movie, you keep thinking "yeah, that's how I'd react!". Just a great, great horror flick. Enjoy. Expand
  72. TonyM.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Not as good as the original, but close. The 1st 15 minutes was the creepiest seeing everything fall apart. Better than 28 days later!
  73. JonnyL.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Some great zombie fun for all of us underprivileged fans of the genre. Covers all of the bases a good horror movie should. However, for a "Dead" movie, the cannibal mayhem content was somewhat restained, kinda like the Savini remake of "Night" in the early 90's. I wonder why. There are definitely none of the prolonged, grotesque feeding scenes that littered Romero's original Some great zombie fun for all of us underprivileged fans of the genre. Covers all of the bases a good horror movie should. However, for a "Dead" movie, the cannibal mayhem content was somewhat restained, kinda like the Savini remake of "Night" in the early 90's. I wonder why. There are definitely none of the prolonged, grotesque feeding scenes that littered Romero's original three Dead movies. But as a change of pace, the new Dawn compensates by offerring much more consisitent, and in my opinion extremely tense action sequences which are quite creative. 10 minutes in, and then this movie just doesn't let up. I was totally "on the edge of my seat" throughout the whole movie, so to speak. Whew! The fact that this movie respects its roots also, and wasn't ironic or "post-modern" in tone in the least helped alot too. Oh, and adding Johnny Cash to the intro? Nice touch, and waaaay creepy! Expand
  74. JasonO.
    Mar 23, 2004
    Snyder (the director) should be paying Danny Boyle royalties for all the stuff he ripped off from 28 Days later: Cool fast scary zombies? Check. Virus causes the zombification? Check. Endearing core group of characters? Check. Sorry, no visual from DoTD was as freaky or well staged as the deserted Central London scene with Big Ben & Buckingham palace in 28D.
  75. KatieP.
    Mar 25, 2004
    Holy! This movie was so good! It was obviously a lot like 28 Days Later, but how much originality can you do with a zombie flick? Listen to the critics.. DO NOT LEAVE UNTIL THE CREDITS ARE DONE ROLLING!! The movie isn't over when you think it actually is. There is an ending after they are on the boat.
  76. BlaiseR.
    Mar 26, 2004
    Enough with the 28 Days Later comparisons. That movie bored me TO TEARS! The first 15 minutes created an erie mood, but after that, it was horrible. I loved the Romero flicks, but the ad camaign for 28 days later, as the "New Definition of Zombie Horror" was completely misleading. Dawn of the Dead, on the other hand, is wire to wire excitement. But the key is that it has the humor that 28 Enough with the 28 Days Later comparisons. That movie bored me TO TEARS! The first 15 minutes created an erie mood, but after that, it was horrible. I loved the Romero flicks, but the ad camaign for 28 days later, as the "New Definition of Zombie Horror" was completely misleading. Dawn of the Dead, on the other hand, is wire to wire excitement. But the key is that it has the humor that 28 lacked. The scene where Ving and the Gunshop owner are having target practice on the roofs of their buidlings made our entire audience roll out of our seats. And Sarah Polley KILLS each and every actor from 28. I was blown away by this flick. Expand
  77. JoeS.
    Mar 28, 2004
    This movie was so cool. I liked the fact that it was actually Scary, Funny AND Entertaining. Of Course it's not movie of the year either. Still, I would definitely go again if I was asked to.
  78. PJ
    Apr 15, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Anyone who gives this movie much more than 6 is about as 'quick' as the zombies themselves. OK, I have the seen the orginal and really enjoyed it, and no, this comment is not about the comparison between the two, I am judging this movie on its own merit. This is what happenes when hollywood runs out of ideas, 'hey, can we remake anything?, put some[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] Anyone who gives this movie much more than 6 is about as 'quick' as the zombies themselves. OK, I have the seen the orginal and really enjoyed it, and no, this comment is not about the comparison between the two, I am judging this movie on its own merit. This is what happenes when hollywood runs out of ideas, 'hey, can we remake anything?, put some new faces in it. new effects...with video and the overseas market, we'll recoup all costs' OK, the eye rolling factor is almost unbeliveable. It's just sloppy filmmaking, even the editing is poor, yes, even for a zombie movie. Hmm...I'll just pick a few things, cuz theres enough mistakes for me to go on and on.Lets take 'Andy' for example, the guy on the gun store roof, he's hungry, so we'll send him 'chip' the wonder dog to feed him..'oh, andy call him over with your whistle, hez been trained to move through zombies to deliver food to ppl trapped on rooftops. OK, then as we see, they communciate with andy through erasilbe whiteboards, fine, but then as they want to make a final break for it , they pick up the radio and talk to him then, huh?. The funniest moment, not intentional, is when they use the shopping mall shuttle buses to plow their way through the zombies. It then turns into a bad episode of The A-team, welding plows on the front..reinforcing this and that..welding things here, and dont forget the menacing painted teeth on the front, yeah..kickass! It's too bad, it kinda started out ok, then went down the proverbial hollywood crapper. If you wanna see a better zombie movie..with some humor and a better all around everything watch 'Return Of The Living Dead.' Expand
  79. RyanM.
    Apr 2, 2004
    A zesty, stylish horror flick. It was hugely refreshing to walkout of a latter-day zombie movie not wanting to kill myself from boredom.
  80. MarcW.
    May 3, 2004
    This flick was a true celebration of campiness. And I mean that in a good way. I didn't think it was that great till I watched the critically acclaimed 28 Days Later. The latter bored me to death and though it MAY be the better FILM. It wasn't half as fun as DOTD.
  81. NickA.
    Jul 14, 2004
    I thought it was an excellent re-make of the old 1978 movie, and is a recommendation for anybody interested in zombie horror, or viruses/epidemics.
  82. armandos.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Did not have the sense of irony as the original- of course the special effects were better and there was certainly plenty of action-I prefer my zombie movies to be funnier-this movie took itself a little too seriously.
    Dec 10, 2005
    (director's cut) This movie delivers the zombie goods, and there are some funny parts. Still I'd wish they'd gotten to business a little sooner.
  84. JayF.
    Feb 25, 2006
    I got to see the director's cut DVD version of this film and I did find the movie to be exciting but why is it that every comment I see for this movie makes it seem like the original was mega-cheese and this film should recieve an Oscar( I'm talking to you Ebert). It's not that I outwright hate this remake it is just that I am so attached to the original. I was happy to see I got to see the director's cut DVD version of this film and I did find the movie to be exciting but why is it that every comment I see for this movie makes it seem like the original was mega-cheese and this film should recieve an Oscar( I'm talking to you Ebert). It's not that I outwright hate this remake it is just that I am so attached to the original. I was happy to see Tom Savini and Ken Foree make appearances in this movie. Foree even recites the tagline from the original movie, "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth". This movie is fun in a macabre sort of way, especially that "Hollywood Squares" part. The one thing that they missed in the movie for me is one thing and one thing only. Expand
  85. King
    Jan 14, 2007
    About as good as the original.
  86. CiaranG.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Not only a brilliant movie that inspired an amazing video game on Xbox 360 (Dead Rising), but the DVD features loads of extra features that give an insight into what was happening outside the mall, and around the world. Includes fictional amateur video and news reports, deleted scenes and more.
  87. ZarshaleX.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Easily my favorite horror film. Maybe I'm biased towards zombie movies but be that as it may, this one takes the cake. Quick, frightening, and gripping: everything needed to make a good Horror Movie
  88. Mike
    Mar 6, 2007
    Overall I enjoyed watching it...
    A little slow at times, especially when they are stuck inside the mall.
  89. RandyM.
    Apr 23, 2007
    A surprisingly good remake of George A. Romero's classic. Bloody, intense, and utterly relentless. Prepare for the ride of your life.
  90. MarcoP.
    May 25, 2007
    Really terrible. It doesn't hold up a match to the original, and it's even worse watched on its own merits. Avoid at all costs. And don't believe people who say this remake is good. They are Consumer zombies.
  91. LouisH.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Like all of our contemporary horror movies, this movie was absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. I can't believe they consider it a "drama" movie after all the senselessly stupid actions all the characters make. There is no reason, no sense, or any point to this movie. Where did the zombies come from? Why did nobody take them seriously (with the mom's stupid gasp in the Like all of our contemporary horror movies, this movie was absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. I can't believe they consider it a "drama" movie after all the senselessly stupid actions all the characters make. There is no reason, no sense, or any point to this movie. Where did the zombies come from? Why did nobody take them seriously (with the mom's stupid gasp in the beggining)? Here is why :THEY'RE ALL IDIOTS!!!!! Expand
  92. JoeBob
    Nov 7, 2009
    Overrated. not much character development, pretty cheesy at times, but it did have some good points such as being funny. but is mostly mediocre and flat.
  93. Rico
    Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice update of the original which had 1970's pacing and FX. I was very entertained and would see it again.
  94. BeckA.
    Nov 11, 2004
    I think a lot of critics missed the point entirely with this movie. No, it is not a great 'movie.' I'm sure you could easily find holes in it if you are so inclined. However, DotD is a blast to watch. It is one of those films that is just fun, which makes it ideal for multiple viewings. As for it not including the social commentary of the original...let me just say one I think a lot of critics missed the point entirely with this movie. No, it is not a great 'movie.' I'm sure you could easily find holes in it if you are so inclined. However, DotD is a blast to watch. It is one of those films that is just fun, which makes it ideal for multiple viewings. As for it not including the social commentary of the original...let me just say one thing...this is NOT the original. Plain and simple. This Dawn is an entirely different beast from its namesake. The commentary is there, albiet in a much less prevalent position. Instead, the movie focusses on the characters (except for that blonde lady..but who cares), their situation, and giving the audience a good, zombie-laden, experience. Honestly, there are many much worse ways to spend an hour and forty minutes. Expand
  95. MelissaM.
    Nov 15, 2004
    Lame.
  96. ClaireL.
    Nov 22, 2004
    I don't concider this to be a horror movie, and don't concider it a 'remake' of the original movie either. It's more an action-ish movie which fully concentrates on the survivors. You've got your characters that start to grow on you, liking them or hating them, at the end you actually start to care for some. You've got something unusual that you I don't concider this to be a horror movie, and don't concider it a 'remake' of the original movie either. It's more an action-ish movie which fully concentrates on the survivors. You've got your characters that start to grow on you, liking them or hating them, at the end you actually start to care for some. You've got something unusual that you don't get much in horror movies, characters caring for the zombified ones and not wanting to kill them. If you're expecting this movie to be like the original, you're in for a let down, but if you keep an open mind, you might actually like it. Expand
  97. K.J.
    Nov 23, 2004
    I thought this was a joke. One of the worst movies ever made, and it discraces the original. It was decent until the pregnant demon gave birth to a baby demon. You're supposed to be scared, but I was laughing hysterically.
  98. AdamR.
    Nov 28, 2004
    This is not as good as Romero's its better! stop kissing a film that is almost comical in its bad execution.This Dawn is so stylish its flamable.
  99. FLOYDB
    Mar 19, 2004
    If you liked the original, YOU WILL LOVE THIS FILM! One of the few good "remakes."
  100. DavidB.
    Fun.

1. Don't leave before the final frame -- if you're still breathing.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    First time director Zack Snyder has done an amazing job of creating a sense of doom and dread while sprinkling it with some wicked humor and amazing music.
  3. Despite a big budget, lots of technical flair and a good cast headed by Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames, it's mostly a bloody mess.