7.3

1. NormanF.
    Jan 8, 2006
    De-lovely embodied the powerful impact that Cole Porter had on a culture. De-lovely embodies a piece of the cresting American culture and what it would offer the world.
  2. BillH.
    Jul 16, 2004
    A marvelolus integration of music and story, letting the songs express the emotions. Now I see where those wonderful tunes and lyrics come from. It used a framing device similar to that other wonderful film "All That Jazz", a film about another artist, Bob Fosse. A melding of dream and reality as in last year's "Chicago". Too bad about Cheryl Crowe's terrible version of "Begin A marvelolus integration of music and story, letting the songs express the emotions. Now I see where those wonderful tunes and lyrics come from. It used a framing device similar to that other wonderful film "All That Jazz", a film about another artist, Bob Fosse. A melding of dream and reality as in last year's "Chicago". Too bad about Cheryl Crowe's terrible version of "Begin the Beguine". Not her fault, of course, but what ever could have possessed them? Expand
  3. MikeF.
    Jun 6, 2005
    De-Lovely is not good biography but seems a rather true portrayal of the way Porter saw himself. The music is - with a some exeptions - quite gorgeous and the cinematography is stunning. I think it's an awkward "device" that some director show Porter his life - why do that? Overall, though, I think the film is a wonderful introduction to the world of Cole Porter.
  4. HughieW.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Handsomely filmed, great music and a great central performance. Don't believe the cynics, lots of good stuff in here!
  5. JohnB.
    Jul 2, 2004
    This film is like a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dismal summer season of truly bad movies. It's a good story told in an unusual manner with great music and costumes. Any film critic that loves Spiderman Two and hates this film should take a long vacation before starting a new profession.
  6. Unprodigaldaughter
    Jul 4, 2004
    Any movie with the talented and wise Alanis Morissette deserves a 10 out of 10 in my book.
  7. JoanC.
    Aug 12, 2004
    I loved it the acting was superb and the music de lightful.
  8. DonaldG.
    Mar 14, 2005
    I saw this film twice, and many of the tepid of reviews I've read could have been written by me after the first viewing i.e. weak script, superficial treatment overall etc.. After the second viewing, the epiphany occurred which has made me believe that it is a masterpiece in the most rarefied sense. What is important to understand about the overall structure of the film is that what I saw this film twice, and many of the tepid of reviews I've read could have been written by me after the first viewing i.e. weak script, superficial treatment overall etc.. After the second viewing, the epiphany occurred which has made me believe that it is a masterpiece in the most rarefied sense. What is important to understand about the overall structure of the film is that what appears nebulous and weak in the film's script is a deliberate and carefully plotted device to throw the film's entire weight onto the songs of Cole Porter, greatness of which tells the only worthwile story about this man: his penetrating, hauntingly beautiful and profound essays into the inscrutability of love, and, ultimately, life itself. All great works of art are an invitation to prolonged absorption with their form and content. I submit that in De-Lovely this form must be experienced multiple times, and with an acquired, yet deep acquaintance with its sound track, whose beauty and depth provide the meaning behind the film's secrets and insights. Thanks to our technological age, we can now absorb a movie the way we do a book or a symphony. Most fims do not merit it. This one does and repays the effort a thousand fold! Expand
    Aug 5, 2005
    Kevin Kline is amazing and charming as Cole Porter. This musical biography is so well done and original that if you see it again it will seem like an old friend.
  10. RadioLady
    Jul 15, 2004
    I am so touched by the beautiful film we have just seen that I?m almost too overwhelmed to talk about it. The movie is ?De-Lovely? about the life of Cole Porter, his music and -- most of all -- about an amazing, unlikely and wonderful love. I don?t know how much is true and how much is given to poetic license, but I don?t care and I don?t want to know. I just want to hang on to the I am so touched by the beautiful film we have just seen that I?m almost too overwhelmed to talk about it. The movie is ?De-Lovely? about the life of Cole Porter, his music and -- most of all -- about an amazing, unlikely and wonderful love. I don?t know how much is true and how much is given to poetic license, but I don?t care and I don?t want to know. I just want to hang on to the heartfelt experience. I was not alone in my reaction to ?De-Lovely.? In addition to the spontaneous applause at the end, an astonishing number of people in the audience were still in their seats, savoring the impact, when the last of the credits rolled. ?De-Lovely? is such an integrated masterpiece of movie-making that I reluctantly will move on to crediting the pieces that contribute to the whole. Kevin Klein delivers a superb performance playing Cole Porter from middle age into his advanced years. Ashley Judd provides an equally compelling performance as Linda the woman who Cole meets and marries early in the film. The story starts in 1920?s Paris and includes scenes in Venice prior to Cole and Linda moving onto NYC and the great white way. The set work and costumes together with direction by Irwin Winkler transport the audience flawlessly to the time and places of Cole and Linda?s experiences. ?De-Lovely? is also enabled to achieve its spectacular success by way of the strong script from Jay Cocks. And of course there is the wonderful music of Cole Porter. You could elect to see this film in order to learn more about the life of Cole Porter. You could go in order to enjoy the songs and show presentations of Cole?s music. You could also go to experience the time and places in Cole?s life. However, the best reason to go is because this is a wonderful if improbable love story. The story of love evolving and maturing as it is nurtured by Linda?s full knowledge and acceptance of Cole?s homosexual proclivities. Yet, Cole says of his many love songs that they have always been for Linda and we never doubt that it is true. And, in the end, after their relationship and love has been tested by terrible adversity, they are still there for each other with an ever-deepening love and tenderness. Rated A+, see ?De-Lovely? for the story of Cole Porter, for travel to a different time and to different places, for the music and mostly to experience the love story. It is lovely! Expand
  11. RobieK.
    Jul 26, 2004
    I just love the performances, a well acted musical is better than many movies magnificent morissette and crow . I loved it!
  12. JeffL.
    Aug 11, 2004
    The always terrific Kevin Kline gives a beautifully nuanced performance as Cole Porter, perhaps the greatest American songwriter of the pre-rock era. Ashley Judd, so often seen squandering her genuine talent and beauty in lurid potboiler thrillers, is absolutely superb as his longsuffering wife, who is tormented by Porter's nonstop succession of gay encounters but loves him so The always terrific Kevin Kline gives a beautifully nuanced performance as Cole Porter, perhaps the greatest American songwriter of the pre-rock era. Ashley Judd, so often seen squandering her genuine talent and beauty in lurid potboiler thrillers, is absolutely superb as his longsuffering wife, who is tormented by Porter's nonstop succession of gay encounters but loves him so intensely that she somehow puts up with his infidelities. One or two of the contemporary musical guests seem a little out-of-place, but most interpret Porter's great music admirably, including lovely Sheryl Crow and the chameleonlike Elvis Costello. I also loved the tartly funny sequences set during Porter's Hollywood years, with Peter Polycarpou hilarious as the crass Louis B. Meyer. Overall, this is an engrossing, beautifully made, superbly-acted biography (not a gloss job like the 1946 Cary Grant vehicle Night and Day) highlighting some of the greatest music of the twentieth century. Expand
  13. BrittanyM.
    Nov 28, 2005
    I loved this movie. I love Cole Porter and his shows, so this movie is on the top of my list. I loved all the different stars that were brought in to sing his songs.
  14. TonyB
    Oct 23, 2005
    Criminally underappreciated by both the critics and the public, this is a gem of a biography with an interesting structure. Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd are superb; the supporting cast is excellent; the musical numbers are superbly designed and executed...what more can anyone want?
  15. JorgeM.
    Apr 18, 2005
    A very touching motion picture, with remarkable participations of several well known singers. I think the movie tells Portman's story in a very creative way, focusing both sides of his nature. I really enjoyed the movie, and I believe it is a beautiful experience. And the soundtrack is just fabulous!
  16. JeffS.
    Dec 16, 2006
    I anticipate that De-Lovely will become one of the most highly regarded films of the past fifty years. Mr. Winkler's team has fashioned a daring concept with poignance, wit, great music, design and fully nuanced and realized performances by Kevin Kline, Ashley Judd and Jonathan Pryce. The engagedment of current pop standard, rock and jazz singers and stylings seemlessly provides the I anticipate that De-Lovely will become one of the most highly regarded films of the past fifty years. Mr. Winkler's team has fashioned a daring concept with poignance, wit, great music, design and fully nuanced and realized performances by Kevin Kline, Ashley Judd and Jonathan Pryce. The engagedment of current pop standard, rock and jazz singers and stylings seemlessly provides the story with resonance for present times and injects the account of Cole Porter's life with appropriate irony and insight. Thanks to DVD distribution, De-Lovely" will outlive its critics and, as more discover it, be considered a classic. This may be Irwin Winkler's greatest film. Expand

At its best, De-Lovely evokes a time, a place and a sound with stylish wit and sophistication.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Benefits greatly from Kevin Kline's outstanding performance as the ultra-sophisticated songwriter whose resilient marriage anchored a complicated double life.
  3. A sprightly musical revue built around Cole Porter songs and a few biographical tidbits culled from his extraordinary life.