5.2

1. Bapman
    Jun 26, 2003
    Just don't listen to the critics. An amazing film, terribly bloody and yet you can't help screaming with laughter...
  2. Sep 29, 2012
    Why did the critics give this a mediocre score? It's a great film full of gore and comedy. The goriest film I saw and one of the funniest too. Plus it's directed by Peter Jackson so you should definitely watch this.
  3. KimW.
    Jan 20, 2005
    As an avid horror movie buff I felt that this movie was incredibly well done. Zombie movies are my all time favorite and this one was awesome! Very gory and bloody; I especially love the ending scene with the lawnmower! Classic!
  4. JoeP.
    Sep 12, 2003
    Best Zombie Movie ever made! Quirky humor and Basments of Blood. Gotta love the Dinner!
  5. BenW.
    Aug 28, 2003
    Over the top hilarious campy shocking as fucking hell fun, for sure one of, if not THE goriest movie ever made. peter jackson's best movie for sure!
  6. Oct 20, 2012
    Dead Alive, or Brain Dead as it's known in New Zealand, is basically a love story crammed with zombies, humor, and stomach-churning gore. It's absolutely hilarious, and not in the typical zombie-comedy way. It ends up coming across as more of a spoof of zombie movies, but in a good way, a funny way. The movie is regarded as the goriest movie of all time, and for good reason. Let me put itDead Alive, or Brain Dead as it's known in New Zealand, is basically a love story crammed with zombies, humor, and stomach-churning gore. It's absolutely hilarious, and not in the typical zombie-comedy way. It ends up coming across as more of a spoof of zombie movies, but in a good way, a funny way. The movie is regarded as the goriest movie of all time, and for good reason. Let me put it this way if your even the least bit squeamish DON'T watch this movie you will be sick. I loved every second of it, and it's now one of my favorite movies of all time. I highly recommend this to zombie-comedy fans, or just comedy fans who can put up with all the gore. Expand
  7. May 18, 2013
    Yes, it looks unreal.
    Yes the movie is totally sick.
    No body part has not been hacked 3 times and placed 5 times in the blender. Not even one second of the movie is boring! But be warned, it's very very very gory!
  8. Dec 6, 2012
    Long before Peter Jackson's King Kong or Lord of the Rings Trilogy there was this movie. Released as "Braindead" internationally but as "Dead Alive" in North America since there was already another movie called "Braindead" here (an annoying to watch but not bad movie BTW), Dead Alive is one of those movies that is so bad its good! This was one of the absolutely cheesiest horror movies I'veLong before Peter Jackson's King Kong or Lord of the Rings Trilogy there was this movie. Released as "Braindead" internationally but as "Dead Alive" in North America since there was already another movie called "Braindead" here (an annoying to watch but not bad movie BTW), Dead Alive is one of those movies that is so bad its good! This was one of the absolutely cheesiest horror movies I've ever seen, it's also the most gory horror movie I've ever seen. Bad acting, bad directing, intentionally cheesy lines by the characters and over-the-top gore make this movie one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen! It is best viewed with a bunch of your mildly drunk friends, you'll all have a riot watching this! BTW: Interesting fact: This movie along with another movie "Army of Darkness" are credited with inspiring the original gory "Doom" video game! Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2015
    Clearly best Splattermovie I´ve seen to date (uncut already during the 90´s). Besides its fabulous (actually funny) overdriven scenes it shows a lot creativity + originality in scenery, casts, conversations, masks, etc..
    The characters are distinct, well-chosen and implemented beautifully. Quotes like "Your mother ate my dog!!! -- ...Not all of it." or "I kick ass for the Lord" are simply classics.

I´m wondering why the movie has been banned in many places, being a comedy after all.
    Braindead is very much recommended if one´s in for out-of-the-usual entertainment in this genre.
    At the time I heard it had been elected "Best horror-movie of the 20th century" and while this doesn´t seem to be officially true, it is here.

The "Citizen Kane" of Oedipal zombie-cannibal-right to death-comedy-love stories... So gleefully over-the-top that it's decidedly hard not to gag while you're laughing yourself incontinent... Sick. Perverse. Brilliant.
  2. A gonzo splatterfest from New Zealand that manages to stay breezy and good-natured even as you're watching heads get snapped off of spurting torsos.
  3. Because all of this looks blatantly unreal, and because the timing of the shock effects is so haphazard, Dead Alive isn't especially scary or repulsive. Nor is it very funny. Long before it's over, the half-hour-plus bloodbath that is the climax of the film has become an interminable bore. [12 Feb 1993, p.C16]