Miramax Films | Release Date: March 4, 2005
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 68 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LynmaireS.Jun 30, 2005
This is far above the dreck we in the U.S. usually see as box-office hits. It's a shame that a simple, beautifully shot film like this wasn't given more release theaters in our country.
MarcD.Mar 6, 2005
I really well-told and heart-warming story. Emily Mortimer is a terrific actor, and the setting is beautiful. Better than 90% of the stuff that's churned out of Hollywood ever week.
AimeeG.Apr 16, 2005
This was a very sweet movie. Wonderful characters and wonderful actors. Hope more people see it.
ChuckS.May 10, 2005
Understated movie-making at it's best. Exceptional casting/acting performances, and a wonderfully dialogue-sparse script that accents the human feelings that matter. Not for those who go to movies for non-stop action, explosions, sex, Understated movie-making at it's best. Exceptional casting/acting performances, and a wonderfully dialogue-sparse script that accents the human feelings that matter. Not for those who go to movies for non-stop action, explosions, sex, and profanity- but for people who enjoy a heart-felt, honest story about family, children, and love. The director refuses to give in to crass sentimentality, and keeps the movie grounded in a world-weariness that makes the characters all the more appealing. I'd see it again in a heartbeat, and wouldn't hesitate to take my whole family, either.....a somewhat rare admission for most movies these days. Highly recommended. Those who find this subtle movie sappy must be extremely unhappy people. Expand
VickyCMay 30, 2005
Loved it. The characters ring true, and look real as well. Sweet, yet not sappy. I don't know why American filmmakers don't seem to understand the value of this.
MarcK.May 5, 2005
A definite tearjerker. Still, I found myself not emotionally connected to this film. I knew I was SUPPOSED to feel moved, but I really wasn't.
JohnC.Jun 5, 2005
Every setup looks like a cliche. Then it goes in a different direction. Moving and brilliant.
KatieL.Aug 21, 2005
This was the best, heart-wrenching movie I've ever seen! It's so simple, yet profound. I hope they make a sequel... :)
DahliaA.Aug 20, 2005
Beautiful, simple, and heartwarming with great performances. Solid B+
PaulK.Jun 1, 2006
I first saw the preview of "Dear Frankie" on the Finding Neverland DVD and bought a copy. It is one of the best films I have seen. The script and performances are all outstanding. The film could have become corny or maudlin and sentimental, I first saw the preview of "Dear Frankie" on the Finding Neverland DVD and bought a copy. It is one of the best films I have seen. The script and performances are all outstanding. The film could have become corny or maudlin and sentimental, but managed to avoid every pitfall and be genuinely moving and believable, given the unlikelihood of the set-up. I'm 65 and have watched the film 6 times in the month I own it. Expand
JenOct 22, 2005
I really liked this Movie! I really like Gerald Butler and he was awesome in this movie. The movie is simple, but also moving at the same time. I don' t like how the movie ended, but hopefully they will make a sequel.
TracyD.Mar 14, 2005
A funny, touching, beautiful movie!
hughieMar 4, 2005
Lovely little film. Well acted, written and directed. Please do not use Steven Holden's insane New York Times review to guide you.
SuzanneT.Apr 25, 2005
Great movie for those who like the slow unfolding of their pleasures. I couldn't recommend it more highly; more movies should be made like this. I came to see Gerard Butler, the hunk, and left musing over the fierceness of motherhood Great movie for those who like the slow unfolding of their pleasures. I couldn't recommend it more highly; more movies should be made like this. I came to see Gerard Butler, the hunk, and left musing over the fierceness of motherhood and of protection, truth-telling, and hope for the future. See it quick, before it leave the theater! Expand
JulieG.Jul 17, 2006
Wonderful, endearing story. I would love to see a sequel. It's been a while since we have rented and found a film we have not been disappointed in. I definitely plan to purchase this one.
PaulD.Jul 24, 2006
Contrived, but very touching movie that works because of capable direction and outstanding cast.
ChadS.Nov 4, 2005
Frankie(Jack McElhone) is deaf, not dumb, but Lizzie(Emily Mortimer) forgets her own words when she enlists The Stranger(Gerald Butler) to play surrogate daddy for her son. Great strokes of luck obscures the consequences that Lizzie Frankie(Jack McElhone) is deaf, not dumb, but Lizzie(Emily Mortimer) forgets her own words when she enlists The Stranger(Gerald Butler) to play surrogate daddy for her son. Great strokes of luck obscures the consequences that Lizzie would've faced having supplied Frankie with an extra dad, but the talented cast makes "Dear Frankie" work. A parent should be the last person in the world to condescend towards a disabled person because it's something they'll face their own lives. It was wrong of her to dupe Frankie. But Mortimer invests so much compassion in her born-to-be-maternal face, it's only after "Dear Frankie" is over that we realize what she had done was wrong. Expand
KellyB.Apr 18, 2005
This is a movie that dares to be real. The roles are not overacted, there is an understanding of the context of the story that allows the performances to become endearing. This film is so profound is can not help but be a classic!