7.3

1. RoyP.
    Feb 3, 2008
    An ill-contrived, preachy, brain-dead, and mindless mess. Also, a guide on how not to use the washed out/somewhat overexposed look in nearly every damn scene. This movie looks like it was shot by first-year film students, except done with less energy.
  2. KevinA
    Jan 24, 2009
    I'm glad I didn't have to pay to see this. The family scenes were so predictable that I fast forwarded through most of them. I do have to say that the action scenes were fun to watch. They were actually quite intense even though they made me laugh. I kept wondering why the cops never really interrogated Bacon or arrested him. They had probable cause. I guess it's because he I'm glad I didn't have to pay to see this. The family scenes were so predictable that I fast forwarded through most of them. I do have to say that the action scenes were fun to watch. They were actually quite intense even though they made me laugh. I kept wondering why the cops never really interrogated Bacon or arrested him. They had probable cause. I guess it's because he was killing scumbags that the cops couldn't seem to catch, or even seem to want to catch, even after they killed some cops. So, ultimately I would have given it a 1 if it weren't for some of the action scenes. Expand
  3. Sep 25, 2011
    Kevin Bacon is just the best revenge dad I've seen to current date. His performance begs to differ in "Death Sentence". Unfortunately, the movie's lethargic script and uninspiring dialogue doesn't.
  4. JaredC.
    Aug 29, 2007
    Huh? I'm lost, I got confused and bored right off the bat. It's terrible, a badly performed.
  5. KelleyM.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Horrible! I walked out after 40 grueling minutes. ( I have only walked out of one other film in 30+ yrs.)Don't waste your time. Kevin Bacon must have been hard up for money.
  6. Kyle
    Jan 7, 2008
    How anyone in their right mind could give this a rating over 5 (and even that would be excessively generous) is beyond my imagination. I'm having a hard time trying to even bring myself to describe how bad it was. I will say this: no one in the movie, not a single character outside of maybe John Goodman's character, reacted like a normal human being (who, strangely enough, is How anyone in their right mind could give this a rating over 5 (and even that would be excessively generous) is beyond my imagination. I'm having a hard time trying to even bring myself to describe how bad it was. I will say this: no one in the movie, not a single character outside of maybe John Goodman's character, reacted like a normal human being (who, strangely enough, is what they were supposed to be). Ridiculous doesn't began to describe it. One scene that really stands out is after Bacon's character wakes up in the hospital, finds out his one son is still alive (barely), and the cop shows almost no sympathy whatsoever. Are you kidding me?! The man just lost his wife and oldest son in two brutal murders, has his only other family member in a coma, and is himself beaten to crap -- not to mention having all sense of security forcibly removed from his life. But of course it's all his fault for "starting" things (you know, because it was his fault for stopping for gas and all) and he should have known better, shame, shame. I can't think about this anymore. It hurts my head. Expand
  7. SteveA
    Apr 12, 2008
    This movie was awful. The police and detectives in this movie were embarrassingly incompetent. There are scenes of people killing and maiming each other in broad daylight for hours with a lot of people around, and the cops still don't know anything. The Bacon character was just as crappy. Did he not care about his family's safety at all? And then there are the scenes where the This movie was awful. The police and detectives in this movie were embarrassingly incompetent. There are scenes of people killing and maiming each other in broad daylight for hours with a lot of people around, and the cops still don't know anything. The Bacon character was just as crappy. Did he not care about his family's safety at all? And then there are the scenes where the bad guys spend all day threatening the Bacon character and spilling blood in the streets, and then they come to Bacon's home THAT SAME NIGHT, well after the fact that every cop in town has been alerted to the situation. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The only thing I liked about this movie was some of the acting, especially John Goodman's. Expand
  8. JohnS.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Every character in the movie was incompetent. You know how sometimes movies put characters in situations designed to ask the audience "what would you do in that situation?" Well every time Bacon did something my only answer was "not that." There just wasn't enough killing to make up for the lackluster script.
  9. Jan 7, 2011
    Suggests that acts of revenge might make a really bad situation even worse. A few gripping moments, no happy ending. ---------------------------------
  10. Mar 3, 2014
    I felt absolutely no emotion with any of these characters. In this sort of film, you need to have some sort of connection to really feel the pain and suffering caused and Bacon himself can't even save it. Yeah, the action is alright but if I didn't feel obliged to keep watching it to keep a friend happy, I would have turned it off long before it finished.

1. Death Sentence, directed by "Saw" co-creator James Wan, swings the pendulum too far. One day Nick is a mild-mannered nerd who spends his days making (and loving) risk assessments for his company; the next, he's Travis Bickle from 1976's "Taxi Driver."
    The film has one thing going for it--it's certainly never boring.
  3. Bears more than a slight connection to the landmark of the genre, 1974's "Death Wish," starring Charles Bronson. It is based on novelist Brian Garfield's sequel to his original book, though any resemblance is tenuous at best.