6.8

1. Dec 21, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever. Just goes to show that critics can easily get jaded and can't predict cult classics. What is there to dislike about this?
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    Death to Smoochy is the most ambiguously hysterical unique story ever cinematically portrayed! It is not a simplistic plot (as is Napoleon Dynamite) so one must have as least HALF a brain to engage intelligently with the four plot lines sequentially. Ergo if one likes Napoleon Dynamite it is quite logical the the one who does could not possibly comprehend Smoochy. You must also realizeDeath to Smoochy is the most ambiguously hysterical unique story ever cinematically portrayed! It is not a simplistic plot (as is Napoleon Dynamite) so one must have as least HALF a brain to engage intelligently with the four plot lines sequentially. Ergo if one likes Napoleon Dynamite it is quite logical the the one who does could not possibly comprehend Smoochy. You must also realize that comedy is quite difficult to rate for the sole reason that comedy is extremely personal. Numerous things might make you laugh that would make others bored or irritated. However, drama contains universal emotional magnets... Virtually everything that makes you cry will create the same emotion in the rest of us. Hence, intellect and comedy connect. The cast of this movie contains very interesting and funny members. Robin Williams can become any character in a millisecond. He is incredible! Anyone that has rated this unique movie a zero, has matched the rating with their own intelligence quotient! Watch it again with an open mind... OH NO don't do that then the rest of your intellect may leak out! (and you may not have much to spare so be very very careful with that opening). I can't wait to see this movie again! Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    Death to Smoochy is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Hilarious from start to finish and one heck of a good black comedy. I would highly recommend it.
  4. Nov 25, 2011
    My Favourite movie in the whole world is Death to Smoochy. My second favourite is A Clocwork Orange. My third favourite is Apocolapse now. My fourth favourite is Life is Beautiful. Then it;s Hedwig and the Angry inch ...
  5. Nov 19, 2011
    This movie is priceless to me, Its a cult classic. Solid cast, Hilariously funny, original plot. Why people hate it, I have no idea. I think it was great.
  6. Jul 7, 2011
    This movie delivers what it promises, a zaney dark comedy about all these Barney like shows. It is silly but clever, it has good points it has bad points. You just need to sit back, not take it so seriously and run with the premise. If you do that this movie is a good time.
  7. Oct 26, 2010
    this movie is hilarious and very entertaining. you guys should like this.
  8. JacobR.
    Jul 29, 2009
    This movie is hilarious and clever. I could watch it over and over again.
  9. ByronL
    Dec 7, 2007
    One of the best comedies ever. Dark and crazy. A definite must see.
  10. MikeM
    Apr 27, 2007
    If anything was good about this movie, it was the drunken boxer, and the sex scene that we don't see right before the boxer dies.
  11. WillS.
    Aug 23, 2004
    This movie will outlast its critics and detractors. It's packed full of laugh-out-loud lines and strikes a balance between a heartfelt message and a wickedly funny storyline.
  12. YoonMinC.
    Apr 19, 2004
    It's always good to see norton and devito. however, this is even more obnoxious and retarded than the obnoxious and retarded things it's parodying.
  13. PatC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    More proof of what's already common knowledge. No matter how clever a film's premise can be, a way will be found by those distrustful of their own instincts to trivialize the film's conclusion into oblivion. I score it worse than it is, as it's way worse than it had to be.
  14. AMovieCritic
    Oct 17, 2003
    It was funny. Hilariously funny. But when it wasn't, it had a cool plot, and a surprising-yet still not too surprising- ending. Definitely recommend this movie.
  15. NatalieB.
    Jun 15, 2003
    I thought this film was halarious! I guess some people just don't understand the humor!
  16. ScottM.
    May 8, 2003
    I agree with C. C. At first I couldn't even understand the humor but then I suddenly realize that this movie is honestly funny! I didn't like Robin Williams part though. But overall again.
  17. PaulB.
    Apr 9, 2003
    A couple of laughs in it but not enough for it to be a good movie.!!!!!!!!.
  18. GilbertMulroneycakesMeetsFrankenstein
    Dec 2, 2002
    It should have been great. Should have been. Damn!
  19. Richard
    Oct 29, 2002
    Overall a mess, but like "The Island of Dr. Moreau" a mess I enjoyed. So many tone shifts it gave me motion sickness and Keener is completely wasted, but Norton has some fine moments and even Williams' manic persona earns some good laughs.
  20. C.C.
    Oct 16, 2002
    It was the greatest. I could see where some people wouldn't get the humor in it. But it is dark comedy. And I thought it was hillarious!!
  21. KentM.
    Oct 4, 2002
    This movie earns nothing more than the score you see at the top of your screen. Everybody knows that a film can't rely on one or two line zingers every few minutes (which, to be fair, some are funny even if wholly contrived sounding). Stewart's and Keener's characters are so unbelievably unbelievebale that it's really rather...unbelievable. What in THEE hell was DeVito This movie earns nothing more than the score you see at the top of your screen. Everybody knows that a film can't rely on one or two line zingers every few minutes (which, to be fair, some are funny even if wholly contrived sounding). Stewart's and Keener's characters are so unbelievably unbelievebale that it's really rather...unbelievable. What in THEE hell was DeVito thinking? Expand
  22. JayS.
    Sep 24, 2002
    What are these people thinking? Death to Smoochy was probably one of the funniest movies i've seen in a while. I mean come on people! Edward Norton in a giant fuscia hippo suit is enough to crack me up. Godforbid a movie is a comedy and doesn't have a bunch of teens that can't act in it! Oh NO!
  23. MichaelR.
    Sep 22, 2002
    This film is so unfunny and a terrible satire. Anything that could have made a good joke (such as the bizarre ice show in which I highly doubt any child would enjoy) is ignored. Robin Williams, Edward Norton, and Catherine Keener have definitely seen better movies and can only bring out one-note performance (most likely due to the horrid script). This competes with such stinkers as This film is so unfunny and a terrible satire. Anything that could have made a good joke (such as the bizarre ice show in which I highly doubt any child would enjoy) is ignored. Robin Williams, Edward Norton, and Catherine Keener have definitely seen better movies and can only bring out one-note performance (most likely due to the horrid script). This competes with such stinkers as Slackers, Rollerball, and Resident Evil as the worst film of 2002. Expand
  24. AndrewE.
    Sep 17, 2002
    Could've been better, but still quite funny. Norton and Williams are great as usual as their incredibly strange characters.
  25. PeterJ.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Awful.
  26. DavidL.
    Mar 31, 2002
    Mr. Marc B, I think you are wrong. This film is hysterical! Nowhere in your review does it state any paticular reason for loathing this wonderful film.
  27. MichaelF.
    Mar 30, 2002
    Absolutely hysterical! I was laughing my ass off!
  28. MarcB.
    Mar 30, 2002
    Help, guess the actors have poor investments and need some money, so why not make something. Could have been great. Oh well, they are just cranking them out and this is just another one.

This black-comic assault on family entertainment is going to set a lot of teeth on edge -- If only his (De Vito's) material were better this time.
  2. Starts out as such a deliciously savage satire of TV kiddie shows that it's a shame it swerves out of control and over the top, sliding into tedium before pulling together for a clever, if protracted, finish.
  3. Williams, going full throttle as the desperate deposed kiddie icon Rainbow Ralph, is, well, simply exhausting.