Despicable Me

7.8

1. DavidB
    Jul 11, 2010
    My son (age 7) and I went to see this today with my father - so three generations all watching a "kid's movie". We ALL enjoyed the movie and had a great time.
  2. May 16, 2013
    Despicable Me deals in the absurd and comes out winning on every level. Why is it that the villains of a film also make for more memorable and worthwhile characters? This is pretty much what the film surrounds itself with, all these villains attempting to outdo each other by becoming the greatest villain ever known.
    Steve Carell voices Gru, an evil mastermind who isn't feeling quite as
    Steve Carell voices Gru, an evil mastermind who isn't feeling quite as evil these days, someone has stolen the Great Pyramid, and is now considered the greatest villain in the world, much to the dismay of Gru.
    The thief in question is Vector (Jason Segel) who seems like an accidental villain, simple minded and naive. but with the typical evil lair that is just too funny to ignore, sharks, missiles and hidden rooms, the film is rich with cliche but knows that it is, making it that much more enjoyable.
    Gru aims to better the pyramid raid by stealing the moon, thats right, the moon. With the help of his trusted mad scientist Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) and his hilarious minions called the, er.. Minions, he hatches a plan to finally be called the best.
    But when he must infiltrate Vectors lair to retrieve a sonic ray that reduces the size of any object, he is upstaged by all the gadgets on show, so he adopts three orphan girls so as he can get them to deliver robot cookies to the house so as he can move forward with his plan. But who knew he was going to pick the most loveable and funniest of the bunch.
    Agnes is the smallest of the trio, and by far the funniest, she sees and believes things that the others don't, and truly sees a father figure in Gru.
    It's difficult for a fresh comedy to come in and leave a lasting impression without falling into the same routine of previous attempts, but the film manages to take a very popular and gestated idea and basically poke fun at its own absurdity, and that is where the true laughter lies in this film, the fast-paced animation we are used to seeing in a Pixar film are present here, mixed with a perfect variation of characters and a brilliant voice cast that also includes Julie Andrews and Will Arnett.
    A truly funny and original film has been created with Despicable Me, it has the absurdity and laughter of a one-liner comedy but the heart and assurance of a Pixar classic, without being a Pixar film.
  3. Jun 9, 2015
    Pretty good animated family movie that is somewhat like The Incredibles. The villain was awesome and just the use of weaponry was cool. The part where Gru's boss squeezed the apple was hella creepy.
  4. Aug 6, 2015
    esta pelicula es un pastel de chocolate un maravilla que merecia el ganar el oscar ya que su franquicia ha recibibido criticas positivas en general a los criticos
  5. Feb 12, 2012
    Despicable Me has dazzling animation, lots of laughs, originality, cute little characters (the minions), and just a heartwarming story , backed by solid voice acting make for an ideal family film. I give this movie 89%.
  6. JoeK
    Jul 9, 2010
    I really enjoyed it. It's not on Pixar level (obviously), but it was pretty funny and really sweet.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    Despicable Me is one the animated film that I enjoyed the most; starting by the plot: two bad guys that are constantly fighting to demonstrate who is the most evil. The interesting thing is that these two villains are very real, they both have conflicts with themselves and with the people that surround them, and both are trying to have a better life. Here lies the charm of the movie, theDespicable Me is one the animated film that I enjoyed the most; starting by the plot: two bad guys that are constantly fighting to demonstrate who is the most evil. The interesting thing is that these two villains are very real, they both have conflicts with themselves and with the people that surround them, and both are trying to have a better life. Here lies the charm of the movie, the amazingly well develop characters, and with this I not only refer to the protagonist and antagonist, I also refer to the girls, the old scientist and the minions; all this bunch of captivating characters during the film, manage to break their stereotype. This release of the characters is the most remarkable concepts of this picture, because nowadays the protagonists are typecast and their development is linear or zero. This achievement should be awarded, the director and writers of Despicable Me have come back to the classics. This is what the animation filmmakers must learn, the pillar of cartoon production is a character that breaks his stereotype and evolve to an original form. Expand
  8. PeterJ
    Jul 12, 2010
    A good solid movie, and a good combination of kids humor and adult humor as well. Will def buy on Blu-ray for the kids when it comes out.
  9. Bugz
    Jul 12, 2010
    Oscar worthy for best animated film but will lose to Toy Story 3. One of the best movie this far and so far it has been Toy Story 3 and Cyrus.
  10. Aug 27, 2010
    A funny, family-orientated film that really goes into depth about adoption and, thatâ
  11. Sep 3, 2010
    A surprisingly good non-Pixar animated film. No crude jokes, many levels working at the same time, and heart also in a real way not in a Shrek calculated way. It earns its emotions. The film owes a lot to Bond and The Incredibles but it's fun in its own right. A very pleasant surprise.
  12. Oct 12, 2010
    Surprisingly enjoyed this, although the 3D at times seemed quite poor, the overall animation of the film was good and the story line was enjoyable. Heart-warming tale for all ages. IT'S SO FLUFFY!
  13. Dec 13, 2010
    Light Bulb." It took a little time for the light bulb to turn on in "Despicable Me", but when it finally does it actually becomes a good film. The slow start almost ruined it for me but luckily the visuals were good enough to keep me intrigued while the directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud figured out where they were going with the movie. And I must say when they finally figured thingsLight Bulb." It took a little time for the light bulb to turn on in "Despicable Me", but when it finally does it actually becomes a good film. The slow start almost ruined it for me but luckily the visuals were good enough to keep me intrigued while the directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud figured out where they were going with the movie. And I must say when they finally figured things out it completely turned the movie around for the better.

Read full review at FlicksWorthWatching.com
  14. Dec 22, 2010
    Excellent animation and a series of funny moments make this a thoroughly entertaining film to watch for the whole family. The story verges on absurd but then again it is a fairytale where minions exist and the world's greatest villains have a soft spot for orphans.
  15. Jan 24, 2011
    the movie was awesome..but it did tend to rush at some points
  16. Feb 2, 2011
    I am 31 yrs old and for some reason I still like watching animated film. I absolutely loved those little minion things, they were hilarious! The only problem that I had with this movie was that Steve Carrell accent was a little weak, and at time he just sounded like himself trying to do a Russian accent. Overall this was pretty funny movie. Acting: OK
    Storyline: Good
    Characters: Good
  17. Mar 15, 2011
    Borrowing heavily from Disney and Pixar animation, Despicable Me is charmingly written and thoroughly involving for children of all ages, with remarkable voice acting from Steve Carell.
  18. May 30, 2011
    A great film, harmless family fun.

I'll be honest it's nothing new but it's got it's charm and is worth watching, i'd rent rather than buy though :P
  19. Jun 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a long time since Universal stopped making 2D animated features except in 2006, they made Curious George that starred Will Ferrell and the rest of the cast. Four years later, they released their first CGI animated feature length film, Despicable Me. I've never saw it in theaters, but I've got the DVD of this movie and now I'm going to review it.

It revolves around a super-villain named Gru, who plans to steal his arch-nemesis's shrink ray in an attempt to shrink/steal the moon. One day, he adopts three girls from an orphanage and made them do the job for him. Upon being distracted by them, he learns that being a father is more important than just being a super-villain, but little does he know that he himself is on a desperate battle between him and his arch-nemesis named Vector.

I know what the story was about, but you have no idea how much this movie has impressed me. It has a terrific voice cast, great animation, cool action scenes, and entertaining comedy.

The only problem that I had with the movie was the villain named Vector. He's wasn't given enough screen time to begin with, but that doesn't mean the characters have anything to do with it.

Despicable Me lacks in any depth with the villain, but has solid acting and very good comedy. It is in no doubt one of the best animated movies ever made since the Disney era.

20. Aug 13, 2010
    Sure, this movie was a little kiddy, but at about half the movie, there was, surprisingly, some funny stuff for my age. It could've been better if little kids would understand that Jason Segel, pretty much plays how he is in real life, lazy, sort of that Steve Carrel- type character in Anchorman: The Legend of Rob Burgundy, but most of all, silly as Hell. The movie was also a little sappy,Sure, this movie was a little kiddy, but at about half the movie, there was, surprisingly, some funny stuff for my age. It could've been better if little kids would understand that Jason Segel, pretty much plays how he is in real life, lazy, sort of that Steve Carrel- type character in Anchorman: The Legend of Rob Burgundy, but most of all, silly as Hell. The movie was also a little sappy, but yeah, for an animated movie about a guy being a dad while also having a "second life" to the kids, you should expect something like that. In my opinion, this movie was worth your money. See it yourself if you don't believe me! Expand
  21. DelvinW
    Jul 9, 2010
    Awesome, not as good as Toy Story 3, but a solid film.
  22. JacobL
    Jul 10, 2010
    An animated movie is one of the must lucrative schemes ever concocted. No matter what, as long as the film is animated numerous kids will beg their parents to take them to go and see the film. Don
  23. GeorgeG
    Jul 9, 2010
    It was a great movie. Funny. Charming. Sweet. The only thing it lacked was story. Go just for laughs.
  24. RyanB
    Jul 9, 2010
    I thought the movie was hilarious!!!
  25. ThisGuy
    Jul 11, 2010
    Although not as refined as Toy Story 3, my children enjoyed this much more and were talking about it the next day. Also the audience was more involved in this film. Laughing and getting into it much more, this was true of adults and children alike. So really, this movie does what it sets out to do. It was funny, and good looking. However some of the themes of adoption and returning Although not as refined as Toy Story 3, my children enjoyed this much more and were talking about it the next day. Also the audience was more involved in this film. Laughing and getting into it much more, this was true of adults and children alike. So really, this movie does what it sets out to do. It was funny, and good looking. However some of the themes of adoption and returning adopted children back to an orphanage were in poor taste to anyone who has been involved in the adoption process. Most others will not even notice. Expand
  26. KimH
    Jul 11, 2010
    Loved the movie. nothing else to say. it appeals to all ages and was pretty freaking funny.
  27. Aug 11, 2010
    Besides Steve Carell's wonderful accent, the best thing about 'Despicable Me' is how touching it manages to be, despite the fact that the film is clearly set up to end on a good note.
  28. Aug 12, 2010
    Good movie for the whole family. The characters were lovable, especially Gru. The soundtrack was fun too (featuring Pherell). We've all been running around the house saying things like "Freeze Ray", "Lightbulb", and "Squid Launcher". That's usually a sign of good fun at a movie when the kids return home with some funny lines.
  29. BKL
    Aug 13, 2010
    This is a Great movie. I myself saw it the day it was released. And loved it. The minions are the funniest characters of the movie. They just do the silliest of things.
  30. Sep 4, 2010
    Never in my life have I found an appropriate time to use the word "cute". There is no way to describe this movie without including the C word. I'm 20 years old and I throughly enjoy this movie. The 3D was unecessary but I didn't mind spending a little extra to see probably one of my favorite movies this summer (close race with Inception. Opposite ends of the movie spectrum am I right?)

1. A rousingly funny, heartfelt and imaginative 'toon blessed with the vocal talents of Steve Carell and loaded with whimsy and smarts.
  2. Another 3-D animated kid movie demonstrates that cartoon storytelling pitched to young people is the last, best refuge of sprightly filmmaking this hard, hot summer.
  3. Despicable doesn't measure up to Pixar at its best. Nonetheless, it's funny, clever and warmly animated with memorable characters.