Vestron Pictures | Release Date: August 25, 1987
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 64 Ratings
Watch Now
KadeemluvmusicNov 25, 2012
Damn, it's been 25 years since Dirty Dancing was released. Maybe I could really dance to Jennifer Grey's victory on Season 10 of Dancing With the Stars right about now. And I hope Patrick Swayze is sending big smiles in heaven and reuniteDamn, it's been 25 years since Dirty Dancing was released. Maybe I could really dance to Jennifer Grey's victory on Season 10 of Dancing With the Stars right about now. And I hope Patrick Swayze is sending big smiles in heaven and reunite with Grey one last time. I miss the 80's, what a great film. Expand
Poland99Nov 27, 2016
"Rammstein makes coollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
ciaraNov 30, 2005
This is the best film ever.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
SeamooseKSep 14, 2009
It sucks. I did not enjoy this movie. I might've liked it, if i could find any redeeming features. worst. movie. ever.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
tobeeryDec 29, 2015
Yeah, one of those films that everyone seems to find overwhelmingly nostalgic. This being the first time I'd seen it, I felt nothing like that apart from that iconic last scene which EVERYONE knows about. I found it funny in places where IYeah, one of those films that everyone seems to find overwhelmingly nostalgic. This being the first time I'd seen it, I felt nothing like that apart from that iconic last scene which EVERYONE knows about. I found it funny in places where I don't think it was intended and everything just fell kind of flat for me. Expand
BroyaxJan 1, 2017
Moué, à ses débuts le beau gosse Patrick Swayze tournait des trucs sacrément cons et enchaînait les rôles de bellâtre rebelle avec plus ou moins de réussite... On le sait très capable et le voir se ridiculiser ainsi est particulièrementMoué, à ses débuts le beau gosse Patrick Swayze tournait des trucs sacrément cons et enchaînait les rôles de bellâtre rebelle avec plus ou moins de réussite... On le sait très capable et le voir se ridiculiser ainsi est particulièrement affligeant. On est ici très loin de Point Break et de son rôle de gourou voyou (rebelle encore une fois bien sûr) dans ce Dirty Dancing et ses gesticulations contorsionnées plus ou moins connotées et clairement destiné au public adolescent avec un Flanby dans le ciboulot.

Neuneu et cucul, on est effectivement en plein dedans (dans le Flanby), le tout sur la musique commerciale d'ascenseur des années 80 dont les morceaux choisis représentent certainement à merdeveille la soupe dégoulinante que les djeunzs de cette époque s'infusaient dans les esgourdes.

Quant à Jennifer Beals, euh Grey pardon (on dirait des photocopies) je préférais la première dans le Flashdance parce qu'elle se bougeait bien plus le derrière et le reste (toujours très bien) et jactait beaucoup moins également, ce qui compensait la tronche légèrement trisomique de ces siamoises sur laquelle on était prêt à passer l'éponge. C'est décidément beaucoup plus difficile ici.

En con-clusion, rien à sauver de cette danse sale, sinon que, comme le titre l'indique, ça sent pas bon.
KyleighH.Feb 11, 2006
This movie is such an 80's classic. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey make such a cute little couple in this movie. I love the part where they were dancing at the end. My mom loves this movie also. The movie also featured the late Jerry This movie is such an 80's classic. Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey make such a cute little couple in this movie. I love the part where they were dancing at the end. My mom loves this movie also. The movie also featured the late Jerry Orbach who played Jake, Baby's father. This is a cute 80's movie. Expand
LyssmOct 15, 2007
Its a classic..and nothing less. The dancing and the chemistry are amazing. It will live on....and viewers will always catch themselves rewinding to view scenes another time.
MariaDec 9, 2008
I agree with Ciara - this is the best film ever! I can't help watching it when I have a chance. The cast is very nice and Patrick Swayze is a perfect man you can dream about.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
There's a reason that Dirty Dancing is still referenced today--it's classic, filled with inspirational performances, dancing and joyous music. Dancing films were a-plenty in the 1980s, but few will be remembered alongside Dirty Dancing.
FanBoyCritic1Mar 24, 2016
Dirty Dancing(1987)
Starring: Jennifer Grey, Patrick Swayze, Jerry Orbach, Cynthia Rhodes, Jack Weston, Jane Brucker, Kelly Bishop, Loony Price, Max Cantor, Alvin Myerovich, and Paula Trueman
Directed By: Emile Ardolino Review HAVE THE
Dirty Dancing(1987)
Directed By: Emile Ardolino
Review
HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE
Hello Kiddies your pal the cupid critic here with one of the most pop cultural hits of the 80s, that I keep mistaking for Footloose which I have not seen.
The Summer of 2963... Innocent 17-year old Baby(Grey) vacation's with her parents at a Catskill's resort. ne evening she is drawn to the staff quarters by stirring music. There she meets Johnny, the hotel dance instructor, who is as experienced as Baby is naïve. Baby soon becomes Johnny's pupil in dance and love.
Every time I see anyone dancing in this picture I feel like their having sex or are about to have sex because they move like there body's are intertwined and are like "Oh I want you" but when I see Baby and Johnny dancing it's a lot of fun. The film does shine with its incredible choreography I especially love those scenes where Baby and Johnny are doing the mambo. The film does achieve its primary goal for an energetic love number of dance.
Dirty Dancing is a great film. I give it a 3 and a half out of five.
GarfieldukDec 3, 2017
The iconic movie of the 80's, if not of all time. The idiot critic that gave it 50/100 is out of touch and has no feelings obviously, watched it more than a dozen times and every time is brilliant
amheretojudgeApr 26, 2018
but everybody's in love..

Dirty Dancing There's way too much dance (contrary to Footloose) and it barely is about dance for your typical romantic genre with its usual limitations and properties barges in, to something that had the potential
but everybody's in love..

Dirty Dancing

There's way too much dance (contrary to Footloose) and it barely is about dance for your typical romantic genre with its usual limitations and properties barges in, to something that had the potential to draw something colossal out of it. Eleanor Bergstein's script never had enough crisp in the first place to make it on screen which makes Emile Ardolino's execution shallow despite of being convincingly good. Patrick Swayze is a good dancer but needs some work on delivering it in all aspects which goes same for Jennifer Grey. Dirty Dancing demands attention through its musical sequences that especially draws out younger audience and if mended appropriately with a verified supervisor, it would have made the final cut onto the major league.
FilipeNetoFeb 19, 2018
Since ever the rich families sought to protect their children from marriages that could jeopardize their status and prestige. Baby Houseman is a girl whose parents expect a lot, but things go wrong when her family learns that she is in loveSince ever the rich families sought to protect their children from marriages that could jeopardize their status and prestige. Baby Houseman is a girl whose parents expect a lot, but things go wrong when her family learns that she is in love with a dance instructor with humble origins and dubious life. Directed by Emile Ardolino and with a screenplay by Eleanor Bergstein, it has Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in the lead roles.

This is probably one of the most famous romantic movies of the eighties. Jennifer Grey was up to the challenge and did a good interpretation but, despite her talent and commitment, she ended up overshadowed by a huge Patrick Swayze. This film can be considered the best in the career of this actor that was, precisely, a dancer before beginning to play. It's undeniable that his taste for dancing and talent for gallant roles were essential to his performance, contributing a lot to make him a true "male sex symbol" at the time. The script itself doesn't bring anything new: rich girl meets poor boy and they fall in love, jealous people try to separate them, girl's family doesn't accept their love etc... We have seen this many times in film, theater or even in literature. Nevertheless, it's a story that works well and it's enriched by some interesting details that help to thicken the plot, as the situation around an illegal abortion that one of the characters has to do. In addition to the interpretation of Swayze, the most positive point of the film are the choreography's and an amazing and memorable soundtrack, marked by the songs "She's Like the Wind" and "I've Had The Time Of My Life". The latter can even be considered one of the most famous love songs of the eighties and won the Oscar and the Golden Globe for Best Original Song (1987).

Despite the time that has passed since it's release in the cinema, and Swayze himself has passed away however, this film continues to mean a lot to many people and to be a landmark of romantic cinema. Love overcomes barriers, and a good love story is always timeless.