5.9

1. Sep 5, 2014
    Score: 6.7

Score: 6.7

It entertained me somewhat, but it wasn't that riveting or exciting. Divergent has many flaws that are kind of hard to ignore. The very structure of the world that exists in the Divergent movie and books is flawed and counter-productive. The world of Divergent society “makes no sense, except as a metaphor.” The movie and books are somewhat derivative and generic, and both make too many obvious attempts to make the main character relatable to its targeted female audience.

There isn’t much character development in the film; too many things feel clichéd. Tris/Beatrice doesn’t fit in, doesn’t belong, doesn’t live up to society’s expectations—oh wait, she’s unique and different! Every teenage girl can relate to that! I feel Veronica Roth specifically made the Divergent novels (which I have read, by the way) to cash in on the YA book/movie adaptation buzz that started due to the Hunger Games. (I own and have read the Hunger Games trilogy. I also have the book Divergent, and have read the whole Divergent trilogy as well.)

Trying to categorize an entire person's fluctuating and complex personality into one category based on one personality trait is stupid. Creating factions would promote rivalry and tension. Divergents are dangerous because…they can overcome their fears? Really? Most people do that eventually! The choosing ceremony could be more practical and sensible. Shailene Woodley’s acting scenes with fighting aren’t very convincing. I think more people should be able to remember that the simulation isn’t real, and therefore defy the tests and be…Divergents? Those darts they used (during that one game of Dauntless “Capture the Flag”) to simulate gunshot wounds/pain, couldn’t they use those and defeat armies non-lethally, therefore technically inventing an end to all wars?

Some characters and their actions don’t have their motivations explained in the movie. Too many things from the books are left out in the adaptation. Most of the changes are pointless and “hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer.”

As another reviewer said well, “This movie doesn’t do much to be better than the other mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises.” Despite all this, however, I still liked it enough that I’ll be watching the 2015 sequel “Insurgent”. It simply bothers me that the premise of the Divergent novels and movies are so IMPLAUSIBLE.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on movies, TV shows, and videogames. I have reviewed 28 movies , including the 2014 films: The Expendables 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sharknado 2, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transcendence, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Blended, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows, such as: TNT’s The Last Ship, Fox's Sleepy Hollow, ABC's Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, CW's The 100, Fox's I Wanna Marry Harry, NBC's Crisis, Fox's Gang Related, and more.
  2. May 3, 2014
    It is said that books are always better than than the movies, well in this case is true. Roth's effort in describing each character in the book is absolutely mismatched in the movie. They just scratched the surface when it comes to giving relevance to each character. If you loved the book, you will get a feeling of disappointment once you have finished watching it, knowing that it couldIt is said that books are always better than than the movies, well in this case is true. Roth's effort in describing each character in the book is absolutely mismatched in the movie. They just scratched the surface when it comes to giving relevance to each character. If you loved the book, you will get a feeling of disappointment once you have finished watching it, knowing that it could have been a much better movie. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2014
    Following suit of TWILIGHT SAGA and THE HUNGER GAMES, another young adult franchise embarks on its lucrative conquest, DIVERGENT, shares the same dystopia milieu in the future as THE HUNGER GAMES and a teenage female protagonist, Tris (Woodley), who fights to be fit in a world divided by five factions according to five virtues (erudite, dauntless, amity, abnegation and candour), but she isFollowing suit of TWILIGHT SAGA and THE HUNGER GAMES, another young adult franchise embarks on its lucrative conquest, DIVERGENT, shares the same dystopia milieu in the future as THE HUNGER GAMES and a teenage female protagonist, Tris (Woodley), who fights to be fit in a world divided by five factions according to five virtues (erudite, dauntless, amity, abnegation and candour), but she is born to be a maverick who defies categorisation and is so-called a divergent. She joins the Dauntless and meets the mysterious Four (James), the trainer of the initiates, together their romance is budding through the training programs; then they discover Erudite leader Jeanne (Winslet) is scheming to annihilate and usurp the Abnegation faction (which is the present authority and where Tris’ parents belong) to be the ruling class,
    read the rest of my review at my blog, just google "cinema omnivore".
  4. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are teenager or you acting like that you are welcome to see that film.
    If you have protest soul and don't have enough brain muscle in your head you are welcome to see that film
    Everything is trivial and understandable from first minute, o begging your pardon not from first, from 10s minute everything is understandable.
    A good pretty girl who will safe our world one more, o dear, why they thing ( I'm talking about directors) that in every movie main characters need to safe our world could you make movie where people don't safe the world but still doing something good, is it possible ?
    Good movie to see doing something as cleaning your house or playing some good game.
  5. May 20, 2014
    Too similar to Harry Potter and especially to The Hunger Games saga. A teenager girl has been chosen to save the world in the future. This is what a teenager will be looking for when Katniss movies are over.
  6. Jul 23, 2014
    Tris is no Katniss Everdeen, and Divergent is a better film for not trying to impersonate a similar trilogy. It won't excite the world to the extent of The Hunger Games but this more humble offering is nevertheless exciting, fun and satisfying.

So, yeah if you liked the hunger games, give this one a try, at least we arent bothered with stupid love triangles...
  7. Dec 28, 2014
    Like the first book in the series, Divergent didn't really impress me. It has solid acting and some fun to be had, but the film lacks all tension and logic that is important in one of these stories.
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    If I was rating this just as a standalone movie I would have given it a 6, but as a book adaptation it fell really short. The writers left out details from the book that made the story what is was and the character development was seriously lacking. One thing that Veronica Roth did so well in the book was showing the small acts of bravery (mentioned in the movie as the dauntless vision)If I was rating this just as a standalone movie I would have given it a 6, but as a book adaptation it fell really short. The writers left out details from the book that made the story what is was and the character development was seriously lacking. One thing that Veronica Roth did so well in the book was showing the small acts of bravery (mentioned in the movie as the dauntless vision) that Tris performs but the movie left most of them out entirely, e.g., confronting Marcus, helping Edward when he is hurt. You find out very little about any character other than Tris and Four, which made their interactions feel disingenuous. Leaving these things out made the movie feel emotionally empty. Overall, the movie was disappointing as a book adaptation but decent if you have not read the books. Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    Harry Potter in dystopian times; saddening because YA novel-to-film adaptations in hollywood are now becoming an oversaturated market. It holds to be an adequate film on strong aesthetics as well as good (not her best) acting from Shailene Woodley and the secondary characters. It falters from blatant plot holes, a rushed and forced ending, as well as poor acting from the antagonist (yes,Harry Potter in dystopian times; saddening because YA novel-to-film adaptations in hollywood are now becoming an oversaturated market. It holds to be an adequate film on strong aesthetics as well as good (not her best) acting from Shailene Woodley and the secondary characters. It falters from blatant plot holes, a rushed and forced ending, as well as poor acting from the antagonist (yes, Kate Winslet's role is very superficial, and lacks any form of depth whatsoever). Already signed on to another sequel, here's to hoping that this series contains a learning curve structure. Insurgent now has high expectations. Expand
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    When reading the book, I had concerns about how well it would translate to film. It's a book without much action and most of the narrative is internalized to the protagonist. Books like that tend to struggle to adapt well and Divergent is no different. The director tried to make changes to the story in order to try and make it work but I honestly think it was futile. It's just not a goodWhen reading the book, I had concerns about how well it would translate to film. It's a book without much action and most of the narrative is internalized to the protagonist. Books like that tend to struggle to adapt well and Divergent is no different. The director tried to make changes to the story in order to try and make it work but I honestly think it was futile. It's just not a good story for a 2-hour interpretation. Even at that, I would rather have seen the story stay true and struggle to adapt than change and struggle. All in all, it was set up to fail from the beginning. Shailene Woodley and Theo James gave solid performances and the special effects and action sequences were done well but they made the film watchable and slightly enjoyable at best. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2014
    I never read the book, but I saw the movie anyway and I thought that it was alright but nothing all that great. I will probably read the book eventually but not anytime soon. I just wasn't all that captivated at some points, but I do think that there was some pretty good action from time to time. I would probably only recommend this movie to fans of the book.
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    Dystopian movies are all the rage with Hollywood, especially in the wake of the "Hunger Games" series. After seeing "Divergent" I couldn't help but wondering if it shouldn't have been called "Derivative".
    Not that it's a terrible movie, or the cinematography is terrible - it just doesn't have much in the way of originality going for it, nor does it have the cast of "Hunger Games" caliber. Face it - there's only one Jennifer Lawrence, and her charisma is far superior to any actor or actress in this film. Not even Cate Blanchett can save this movie, coming across as oddly wooden rather than sinister.
    Classes of people divided into sectors? "Brave New World". Mind control? The same. Urban decay? Tons of movies like "Warriors".
    What makes this an average film is its length, too damn long and a failure to allow audiences to really connect with the acting. We get "Ender's Game" style training and the usual bottom to top struggle to fit into a group.
    All in all "Divergent" has possibilities maybe for a sequel that could actually be good - the "divergents" coalescing somewhere and taking on the structured society of the post-war Chicago, where the reason for the war or the reason for the class structure are never explained. Just shows how power the "Hunger Games" series ultimately is.
  13. Aug 8, 2014
    This was an average movie. The lead actress was too weak to captivate and the story just never drew you in. This was certainly no Hunger Games, but perhaps still worth the watch.
  14. Nov 13, 2014
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: It's not a bad concept and has potential. Shailene Woodley turns in a great performance. Theo James starts off sluggish, but turns it around and is solid as the male lead. The characters in the film are well written and pretty deep. The first half of the film is absolutely fantastic and you don't want it to end. The Bad:
    "Divergent" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Unfortunately, the second act falls apart. Very VERY predictable and this shadowy and intricate plan that the villains unleash is simple and disappointing. The last quarter of the film is a boring shoot out with a very vanilla ending. It's a shame that they could not capitalize on such a great start.
  15. Mar 25, 2014
    Haven't read the book but i'm pretty sure it's better than the movie i saw couple of days ago! Predictable,Strange and Dumb movie! Trust me you don't wanna see it... or at least more than once!
  16. Mar 23, 2014
    This movie Divergent is a flop only because Kate Winslet is fully covered. Winslet may have won her 13 yr old daughter's accolade but not from 'your true fans'.
  17. Jul 27, 2014
    Since it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, orSince it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, or even better, than the books. That has never happened.

Anyway, the film was yet another dumb post-apocalyptic action/romance mix, which I've never liked, although I have to admit it's not worse than the Hunger Games. Now, the premise was kind of good: the idea of the factions in particular. But, as always, they've managed to ruin everything with lousy, cheesy dialogue, which we've heard just as many times as many movies like this are out there, and with an immediate look at the characters' first introductions we could decide, right away, if they were good or evil. And the thing is, they stay that way till the end. I call that lack of character development.

The actors were good, I just didn't expect Kate Winslet to involve in such a stupid script. The cinematography was okay, I guess, but then again I'm not an expert in this genre so I might be wrong: from what I read in the reviews it sounds like the consensus veers towards bad special fx. Divergent is nothing special, as expected, and adds nothing to the already inextinguishable stockpile of action carap.
  18. Mar 23, 2014
    I was a bit of a fan of the books by Veronica Roth, but I have to say that I was quite disappointed with this movie. It started off ok at best, and then spiralled down to a total flop towards the end. The plot was messy and omitted too many plot arcs from the book. While Shailene was a saving point as Tris, Theo just didn't impress with his stony acting. Then there's Kate, whom I have toI was a bit of a fan of the books by Veronica Roth, but I have to say that I was quite disappointed with this movie. It started off ok at best, and then spiralled down to a total flop towards the end. The plot was messy and omitted too many plot arcs from the book. While Shailene was a saving point as Tris, Theo just didn't impress with his stony acting. Then there's Kate, whom I have to say wasn't a very convincing villain, and was almost as stony as Theo. It's obviously following in the vein of The Hunger Games, but failing. While fans might flock to watch this within the first week of its release, I'm not expecting the movie to have a good run. Another up-point for the movie was that it stole viewer's breaths, and I lapped up it's action-packed scenes. But at the end of the day, I think many of us viewers would ask ourselves, what exactly was the movie about? Divergent aimed to fit the YA elements to a T, but because of that failed to impress with originality and isn't as good as many expected it to be. Expand
  19. Jul 26, 2014
    Shailene Woodley is the worst choice for this movie and this is bad because she is near all the 2 hours . she is so **** dull unlike ashley judd (the mother) she was awesome . theo james is another bad choice . i only wish they do better next time after they know their roles better . never read the book but its simply great story .
  20. Mar 23, 2014
    Just as good as the book.Exceedingly average. You could tell from the trailer it wasn't going to be a big blockbuster. It's just one of THOSE movies..
  21. Apr 6, 2014
    Should have a giant warning "For Teenage Girls Only"!! If you liked Hunger Games you will be disappointed by this movie..........................................................................................................
  22. Aug 10, 2014
    Although there could be something promising in the following films, this is just a been there and done that kind of film. Not the best. Shailene Woodley does an incredible job and will be quite the saving grace of this franchise. I give this film 38% of a good movie.
  23. Mar 27, 2014
    This is the latest YA bestseller to hit the screens. Set in the inevitable dystopian future, Shailene Woodley plays the young woman who doesn't fit into the neatly divided factions that peacefully run their fortressed city. When forces set about to upset the equilibrium, she teams up with others to save the day. The situation pushes all the teenagnst buttons and has most of the traditionalThis is the latest YA bestseller to hit the screens. Set in the inevitable dystopian future, Shailene Woodley plays the young woman who doesn't fit into the neatly divided factions that peacefully run their fortressed city. When forces set about to upset the equilibrium, she teams up with others to save the day. The situation pushes all the teenagnst buttons and has most of the traditional plot points, but there are a few neat concepts to provide surprises. Woodley looks awkward and non-plussed a lot, but her hearthrob (Theo James) more than makes up for it with his handsome Hollywood hunkiness. Even though it's in no way outstanding, the film manages to maintain interest despite its 2hr 20min running time. Expand
  24. Mar 28, 2014
    As far as movie adaptions of books go this isn't that bad, but it's still pretty dull. There have been a lot of better book-based movies out there, and typically with more original themes. I can see this holding a certain value to the "Hunger Games" crowd, a crowd of which I consider myself a member of, but there are plenty of better ways to hold yourself over until the next one comes toAs far as movie adaptions of books go this isn't that bad, but it's still pretty dull. There have been a lot of better book-based movies out there, and typically with more original themes. I can see this holding a certain value to the "Hunger Games" crowd, a crowd of which I consider myself a member of, but there are plenty of better ways to hold yourself over until the next one comes to theaters.

The cast gives great performances and the characters are well done. The plot is above average, and I can see something like this happening in real life, but it is noticeably familiar. Still, it's followable and fun. The main problem I found with the movie is how slow it is. The majority of the movie focuses on tests that lack excitement. For a while it's almost like the movie is actually ignoring the "divergent" part of the film. Once the film finally gets past all of the clan-based tests the movie starts focusing more on the central plot of the series and things start to get more interesting. However it does not change the fact that the majority of the film is just dull.

Like I said before it's not bad, it's just not that well realized. I never read the book so I can't tell you how well follows it, but I can say that I did not feel like any important details were left out. Unfortunately I was kind of disappointed with the film. It starts off fairly interesting but then hits an incredibly slow lull until finally picking back up again at the end. It makes it kind of hard to recommend to anyone other than hardcore fans of the book, and maybe not even then. My personal recommendation is that you hold out for the next Hunger Games. This one is sadly lacking. I give it a 5.7/10-Mediocre.
  25. Mar 23, 2015
    Based on a series of young adult novels this dystopian future story has the citizens of Chicago walled in and divided into factions, depending on personality, to preserve peace. Quite why everyone can only have one personality trait is never made very clear, which makes their fight for survival hard to care about. A Divergent is someone with all traits and for some reason the governingBased on a series of young adult novels this dystopian future story has the citizens of Chicago walled in and divided into factions, depending on personality, to preserve peace. Quite why everyone can only have one personality trait is never made very clear, which makes their fight for survival hard to care about. A Divergent is someone with all traits and for some reason the governing forces see this as a threat, but again 'why' is never a a question the film really seems to want to answer. Expand
  26. Mar 23, 2015
    Good movie. Feels epic in style, quite grand. It is gripping right from the start, and has an interesting theme and universe. However, the characters and factions are not explored in sufficient depth. It has great potential and the world and camera angles are fabulous. However, the story is lacklustre at best and, to be honest, not much happens given its length. The directors should'veGood movie. Feels epic in style, quite grand. It is gripping right from the start, and has an interesting theme and universe. However, the characters and factions are not explored in sufficient depth. It has great potential and the world and camera angles are fabulous. However, the story is lacklustre at best and, to be honest, not much happens given its length. The directors should've spent more time exploring the backstory. Expand
  27. Jan 25, 2015
    The movie is entertaining enough and there are really talented people involved, but the script is weak and the story in general does not quiet take off. It is decent and the best thing is probably that there is room for improvement in the upcoming sequels. Just for when you have a couple of hours you don´t know what to do and have seen all the other better films out there.
  28. Jul 12, 2014
    I don't have a lot to say about Divergent. It's not spectacular, it's not terrible. There's nothing that feels insincere or insulting to the intellect. Most importantly, the central message of the movie is one that's very important for society to hear in an age where claustrophobic peer pressure assaults us at all hours of the day, and where fitting in is seen as more valuable than hangingI don't have a lot to say about Divergent. It's not spectacular, it's not terrible. There's nothing that feels insincere or insulting to the intellect. Most importantly, the central message of the movie is one that's very important for society to hear in an age where claustrophobic peer pressure assaults us at all hours of the day, and where fitting in is seen as more valuable than hanging on to individual worth Expand
  29. Dec 4, 2014
    Another bad movie released this year. Story is not very good. Acting is not very good. I was bored most of the time. This entire idea about how they are divided into factions is pretty stupid to me.
  30. Apr 28, 2014
    This movie feels a lot like Twilight meets Hunger Games. I didn't mind and kind of liked the romance portions but there were several logic red flags that kept me from enjoying this movie more. Don't want to spoil too much but there are parts that make you question the validity of the world they created, like why is the leader of the brave group bent on teaching through fear. Should thatThis movie feels a lot like Twilight meets Hunger Games. I didn't mind and kind of liked the romance portions but there were several logic red flags that kept me from enjoying this movie more. Don't want to spoil too much but there are parts that make you question the validity of the world they created, like why is the leader of the brave group bent on teaching through fear. Should that not be something someone should have stopped early on? Regardless, it is not a bad movie, just could have been much more. Expand
  31. Jun 6, 2015
    Boring, weird and lack of uniqueness. But still watchable.

Boring, weird and lack of uniqueness. But still watchable.

I’m going to keep this short. There’s a lot of weird **** that made no sense. It’s slow and boring through 66 % of the movie. The CGI is vague at some places and the plot is not unique. The soundtrack does lack of epicness. The chemistry between the main characters is forced, but the main character is still great. The ending is action-packed, I really liked it! But the movie is very predicable and the ending could have been better.

Divergent is very overrated. But it’s still worth to watch, it you got time for a ****ty movie, which I don’t!

6.8/10.
  32. Sep 6, 2014
    In itself an interesting concept, the movie was riddled with cliches and was dragged out a lot longer than necessary. I'm not too sure about the actors either. Very mixed performances. But overall enjoyable, although not amazing in any way
  33. Sep 24, 2014
    Decent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to getDecent, but nothing more. Its buildup was fine but it then descended into a shoot-em-up, which must have made Republicans and the NRA happy. It's a half hour too long, given epic treatment when it deserves far less, and the dialogue's terrible, as if a high school student had written it. I'll pass on any sequels. And the poster's hilarious--Four transcends his fear of heights, just to get Tris' butt in his face. I hope for his sake she didn't have tacos for lunch. Expand
  34. chw
    Mar 12, 2015
    Divergent is the most clichéd movie I've seen so far. If there weren't any clichés, there would still be the terrible acting. If there wasn't any terrible acting and no clichés, there would be no movie.
  35. Mar 23, 2014
    Before starting, let's just say first that I DID read the book, so this review will be from that perspective. Overall, I was disappointed with Divergent. It kinda betrays what the book was. Dialogue is different, scenes are changed and or cut out, and it just doesn't feel as special as it should be. Theo James and Shailene Woodley were very, very good in terms of acting, and just a greatBefore starting, let's just say first that I DID read the book, so this review will be from that perspective. Overall, I was disappointed with Divergent. It kinda betrays what the book was. Dialogue is different, scenes are changed and or cut out, and it just doesn't feel as special as it should be. Theo James and Shailene Woodley were very, very good in terms of acting, and just a great pick, too. Miles Teller is almost as good. The other characters? Meh. Just your typical teens. The action held up, but was nothing extraordinary. Remember how I said dialogue was different? Well, yep, the script is just plain boring. In terms of the scenes, some of the great ones are cut out. Come on Hollywood, know what scenes to cut out when your making a movie based on a book. Yes, the book is LOONG, so they had to make some sacrifices. One of my favorite parts of the book is how much you see Tris change. Here, it is slightly noticeable, but not to the book's degree. I'm about to talk about the ending, so watch out for spoilers. IT PISSED ME OFF. IT'S BARELY ANYTHING LIKE THE BOOK'S, AND IT MIGHT EVEN BETRAY THE NEXT MOVIE. Overall, Divergent feels like a mixed bag. You have your good parts, and complete opposites. Its not as bad as the terrible Twilight junk, but still not worthy enough to stand up with the best. (hint, hint HUNGER GAMES!) Expand
  36. Mar 26, 2014
    Divergent was a fun movie, but was lacking at parts. I was expecting more due to the trailer which led me to get fidgety near the end. I thought the main point of the movie would be that because she was divergent she was different and could lead the people into a better tomorrow, but instead the majority of the film she spent denying being that way to fit in and stay out of trouble. SeemedDivergent was a fun movie, but was lacking at parts. I was expecting more due to the trailer which led me to get fidgety near the end. I thought the main point of the movie would be that because she was divergent she was different and could lead the people into a better tomorrow, but instead the majority of the film she spent denying being that way to fit in and stay out of trouble. Seemed a bit whiney to me, but I'm sure that's just me. Then it seemed to digress into a Twilight film for a good chunk of the film, which I am sure more than a couple people were unhappy about. Also, they brought in an interesting detail with what might lie outside the walls then proceeded to chat about it for about 5 minutes or less. Nothing more came of it. I was expecting something very exciting to happen there, but it didn't. Sequel opening? I haven't read the book. If I had I'm not sure I would rate this higher or lower but overall it was enjoyable and would have been more so if I had gone in without the high expectations from the trailer. Expand
  37. Mar 29, 2014
    It was a good movie but I wish I could read review so I didn't waste my money to go theater for watch it. I don't like ending. it seems like okay lets end it! or it is saying to audience, we will make second one and get ur money. I don't think I will go to if they make second one. I wish i didn't go. You could watch it at home. it is not that bad.
  38. Sep 7, 2014
    This film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waitingThis film offers some good moments that have you screwing up your face and you really do feel the emotion behind certain scenes. The storytelling is good, but it drags out a bit and there is not enough action. Ultimately, it misses out or just ignores little unanswered questions and fails to capitalize on the climax, it's really quite a boring ending. Worth a watch if you like waiting three years for a sequel, but I wouldn't recommend it as I personally hate unfinished stories and I don't think 'The World of Divergent' will make it to it's third 2-parter (yawn) instalment. Expand
  39. Oct 12, 2014
    Good story, good cast. The actions scenes isn't great, just good. The romance between Tris and Tobias sounds annoying and cliché sometimes, I was expecting more fantasy in the cinematography, but in the end the movie isn't so good and isn't so bad, just enjoyable.
  40. Nov 2, 2014
    Divergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'ChosenDivergent is a dystopian science fiction that finds itself suffering from the mould Hollywood has created for recent book adaptations. It is a very formulaic and predictable storyline that is immersed in an intricately-built world. However the acting is insanely good, particularly Shailene Woodley, who makes everything feel much more real. The only issue was the repetitive theme of 'Chosen One' fights against oppressive government force. In the end Divergent is a watchable film if you enjoy dystopian sci-fis. Expand
  41. WJS
    Jan 10, 2015
    This movie looks really good, is well acted and has a great soundtrack. Unfortunately, its script is weak and the direction is laboured. It plays out far too long and its cast is quite beautiful, which proves distracting. The problem here is that its YA roots are showing, and for me that's a problem, because the only YA film I've enjoyed in the past while is "Enders Game".
  42. Apr 6, 2015
    Though clearly drawing influences of The Hunger Games and even Harry Potter at times, Divergent is enough it's own thing and it's actually enjoyable. I had no expectations going in and I was pleasantly surprised. Though Shailene Woodley carries the movie for the most part.
  43. May 13, 2015
    I didn't have particularly high expectations for this movie, and so I was pleasantly surprised that it's a reasonably good offering. The main actress falls flat often, as she doesn't seem to express very much emotion. Her instructor Four is much more interesting, as he takes her under his wing and helps her learn to get by in her new faction, showing more knowledge and ability than ourI didn't have particularly high expectations for this movie, and so I was pleasantly surprised that it's a reasonably good offering. The main actress falls flat often, as she doesn't seem to express very much emotion. Her instructor Four is much more interesting, as he takes her under his wing and helps her learn to get by in her new faction, showing more knowledge and ability than our main character seems to have. One thing the film does well is lay out the world of the factions and how they work, giving the audience enough information to follow and get by, but still leaving lots of questions unanswered for the later movies. Still, it's not a particularly compelling dystopia, and even Kate Winslet's menacing would-be autocrat can't quite save the movie. One of the most interesting performances comes from Miles Teller, whose character provides the perfect love-to-hate rival. The movie had a reasonably compelling plot arc, but it did leave something to be desired; partly this can be blamed on the necessity of setting things up for the next movie, but it would have been nice if it functioned better as a standalone film to introduce the series. Expand
  44. Mar 13, 2015
    Not a bad movie even though the movie is mostly lack of action or moments that makes the viewers like the movie. Also, many parts of the movie makes me bored.
  45. Mar 28, 2015
    Divergent is a movie that has a very weird and a not very well explained plot that leaves you wondering what the hell is happening.

It seems like a cool idea but several things plotwise make absolutely no sense, however i believe if you read the book, it would help with certain parts that just seem like they were picked out of a hat. Personal belief: Divergent seems like a cool idea

Personal belief: Divergent seems like a cool idea and had me hooked for about the first 30 minutes, after that, things go weird and a very unexpected change in the plot in the 2nd half of the movie just make it horrible and unbelievably stupid

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.