8.5

1. Apr 24, 2015
    One of the great strengths of Quentin Tarantino's films is the way his love of cinema permeates every frame. From subtle, throw-away lines and in-jokes to more obvious nods (such as the "old fashioned" Columbia logo at the beginning or the '70s-style opening credits), it wends its way through his productions. Over the course of his career, Tarantino has paid homage to a number of genres;One of the great strengths of Quentin Tarantino's films is the way his love of cinema permeates every frame. From subtle, throw-away lines and in-jokes to more obvious nods (such as the "old fashioned" Columbia logo at the beginning or the '70s-style opening credits), it wends its way through his productions. Over the course of his career, Tarantino has paid homage to a number of genres; with Django Unchained, it's time for the Western. Of course, the director never does anything in a straightforward manner, so this is also a revenge flick and a somewhat offbeat comedy. Tarantino may be the best working director to take scenes of blood, mayhem, and gore and transform them into moments of hilarity. Pulp Fiction introduced this tendency ("Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face!") and Tarantino has honed it since. Despite the occasional brutality of the material, Django Unchained includes some of the best laugh aloud scenes of any 2012 motion picture, regardless of the genre.

Over the years, we have come to expect things from Tarantino, and he delivers most of them in Django Unchained. There are the high-octane action scenes, which tend to be short and brutal. There's copious gore; when someone gets shot, you can be damn sure he's going to bleed. There's a tendency for the director to thumb his nose at political correctness. We're bound to see female bare feet at some point. And there's a sense of energy and momentum that culminates in satisfying violence. Perhaps the only thing somewhat on the back burner in Django Unchained is Tarantino's penchant for witty repartee and clever monologues. There's a little of it here, but not nearly as much as in some of his previous endeavors. Still, this is very much "a Quentin Tarantino Film" in every sense of the phrase and those who build expectations based on those four words won't be disappointed.

As has been true of past efforts, Tarantino coaxes memorable performances out of his actors. Joining the ranks of John Travolta, Uma Thurman, and Christoph Waltz (among others) is Jamie Foxx. After Ray, Foxx was viewed seriously as a dramatic actor, but he hasn't been given much of note to do in recent years. With Django Unchained, Tarantino provides him a meaty role and he tears into it with relish. He also displays a warm and unique chemistry with co-star Waltz, who is once again great. Leonardo DiCaprio, in a rare supporting role, shows that, despite his heartthrob reputation, he's capable of playing a truly loathsome villain. Samuel L. Jackson, buried under prosthetics and makeup, is recognizable primarily because of his voice and attitude. Tarantino's "reclamation project" (in which he takes a once-popular actor and gives him something interesting to do) is Don Johnson, although his screen time is limited. There are a few notable cameos: Jonah Hill, Amber Tamblyn, Bruce Dern, Tom Savini, Robert Carradine, and Franco Nero (who played the lead character in the unrelated 1966 film, Django).

One of the best things about Tarantino films in general and Django Unchained in particular is that the viewer is never sure where the narrative is going. Tarantino delights in unexpected surprises, some of which are sudden and violent. Consider, for example, John Travolta's death mid-way through Pulp Fiction - I'd wager no one saw that coming. While there's nothing quite that dramatic in Django Unchained, the movie has its moments and the storyline doesn't follow an unbending trajectory. Although it's technically a Western, Tarantino doesn't feel constrained by limits often placed on the genre. He stirs in elements of exploitation/blacksploitation to give Django Unchained a more pulpy, high energy feel. This is a serious movie with some serious things to say about how blacks were treated in the Old South but there's plenty of action to go along with the darker material.

Not unexpectedly, Tarantino inserts himself into Django Unchained in a part that's larger than a cameo and smaller than a supporting role. It's tough to say whether his acting has improved but he tries on an Australian accent that is ridiculously bad. However, the director may be self-aware enough to recognize his limitations in front of the camera and his appearance, distracting as it is, could be designed to be cheesy. Or not. Difficult to say.

Django Unchained may be Tarantino's most uplifting movie to date. Without revealing the ending, I can say it's less nihilistic than that of, say, Reservoir Dogs. Age may not have mellowed Tarantino but at least he can see the value in a little optimism. Django Unchained isn't in the absolute top tier of the director's films; I consider Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Inglourious Basterds to be more complete experiences. But this is a fine, accomplished effort and a great way to spend nearly three hours in a movie theater. Most people will leave with a smile and those who don't probably should have gone to see something softer in the first place.
  2. Apr 20, 2015
    In 1858, bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Waltz) frees a slave named Django (Foxx) to help him track down three outlaw brothers. The pair partner up, then conspire to rescue Django’s wife (Washington) from a plantation owner (DiCaprio).

Any new Quentin Tarantino release is an event. Like his latest protagonist, Tarantino is a filmmaker Unchained (although, to be fair, he was never really Chained to begin with). He has never exhibited any agenda beyond revelling in a seemingly boundless love of cult cinema and sharing that with an audience whom he never patronises by assuming they know less than he does. So, for good (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Inglourious Basterds) or ill (Four Rooms, Death Proof), his movies, however wide their scope, always come unhampered by studio fussiness and unvarnished by new trends: digital, CGI, 3D — IMAX, even. For a man credited with tearing up the rulebook, he is staunchly traditional.

Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Tarantino’s 2nd best!
  3. Mar 16, 2015
    This is the best movie I've ever watched in cinema, it is worth every penny that I spent. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack, acting, storyline and acting (basically every part of the movie). I remembered how mind blown I was right from the beginning, until the end of this movie. It was almost too good to be true; and I had the privilege to watch it in the cinema. Personally, I feltThis is the best movie I've ever watched in cinema, it is worth every penny that I spent. I am particularly fond of the soundtrack, acting, storyline and acting (basically every part of the movie). I remembered how mind blown I was right from the beginning, until the end of this movie. It was almost too good to be true; and I had the privilege to watch it in the cinema. Personally, I felt that Leonardo Di Caprio were absolutely brilliant in this movie, I was really hoping he could win an award... loved this! Again, Quentin Tarantino did it! Pure genius Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2014
    Quentin Tarantino pulls, again, what may be another instant cult classic out of the hat.
    Another ludicrously good film by the visionary director, with the perfect cast for the job; with Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz & Leonardo DiCaprio at the helm, this grindhouse-style western is by far my favourite movie of 2012. A slew of black comedy mixed with almost cartoon violence make this gory, racially cautious romp one of the best in the acclaimed screenplay writer/ directors portfolio...Buuuutt, it makes me truly wonder whether and when he's going to flop, as with each movie he places the bar higher and higher still, will he still be able to reach it in years to come? Evidently though; He did not flop with this hit.
  5. Dec 22, 2014
    Django Unchained is surprising in the fact that it's not just good like i was expecting it was excellent. I think the films message about slavery will hit a wider and more general audience and it's backed by amazing action,story and acting from Jamie fox and Leonardo DiCaprio and of course Christopher waltz who steals the whole show. get this movie it is seriously worth it and i'm lookingDjango Unchained is surprising in the fact that it's not just good like i was expecting it was excellent. I think the films message about slavery will hit a wider and more general audience and it's backed by amazing action,story and acting from Jamie fox and Leonardo DiCaprio and of course Christopher waltz who steals the whole show. get this movie it is seriously worth it and i'm looking forward to what Tarantino does next Expand
  6. Dec 13, 2014
    Articulate, awesome and Tarantino at his best. The brilliant acting of interesting characters always sets a film on the right course. Thankfully this is in play here as the cast on offer is one that will cause you to nod with appreciation. But it's the story that grasped me the most. Django's brutal past causes us to root for him very early on. This helps draw us in as soon as possible andArticulate, awesome and Tarantino at his best. The brilliant acting of interesting characters always sets a film on the right course. Thankfully this is in play here as the cast on offer is one that will cause you to nod with appreciation. But it's the story that grasped me the most. Django's brutal past causes us to root for him very early on. This helps draw us in as soon as possible and we further our aspirations for the film immediately. Tarantino has also been able to successfully balance story importance with pulse raising action scenes. As a result we feel a sense of realism surrounding Django's journey. His companion Dr King Schultz is portrayed immaculately by Christoph Waltz who brings an air of class to the film as he always does. The setting on offer is also one of beauty and is perfect for an adventure film. You will be compelled and touched by an original story that may even cause you to dig into Tarantino's other works. Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2014
    Apoteósica, excelente, divertida y bestial como siempre es Tarantino. Hacía tiempo que no disfrutaba tanto viendo una película. El guión es bueno, pero las conversaciones en especial son un 10. El papel de Django (Jamie Foxx) y sobre todo de Christoph Waltz (el mejor de la película a mi entender, de hecho creo que se llevó un Oscar por este papel) es para quitarse el sombrero. TambiénApoteósica, excelente, divertida y bestial como siempre es Tarantino. Hacía tiempo que no disfrutaba tanto viendo una película. El guión es bueno, pero las conversaciones en especial son un 10. El papel de Django (Jamie Foxx) y sobre todo de Christoph Waltz (el mejor de la película a mi entender, de hecho creo que se llevó un Oscar por este papel) es para quitarse el sombrero. También DiCaprio hace un papelón. Si te gusta el cine no te la puedes perder. Expand
  8. Oct 21, 2014
    Django is a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz. Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles – dead or alive.
  9. Sep 1, 2014
    Another epic masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino. Once again, the perfect mix of bold and funny that we've come to know and love; and he does so with great help from Waltz, DiCaprio and Foxx.
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Filmin müzikleri ve sahneleri çok başarılı, başta Christopher Waltz ve Leonardo di Caprio olmak üzere oyunculuklar ve karakterler olağanüstü, Tarantino'yu zaten biliyoruz her zamanki gibi.Sonuçta uzun ama zamanın ötesinde gerçekten çok iyi bir film çıkıyor karşımıza.
  11. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Django Unchained was absolutely amazing! Although it was a nearly three hour movie, there was never a dull moment, which made it feel much less shorter.
  12. Jul 14, 2014
    Historically, it’s clearly off. But you see the plight of slaves in that era and can’t not say this movie is one of the boldest that’s ever been done. It’s phenomenal, and while it is 165 minutes long, those minutes will fly by. It’s raw, crazy, and just one damn good time.
  13. Jul 10, 2014
    Sensacional. Tarantino crea un western a su medida. Mirándola bien, creo que no le falta ni le sobra nada. Los actores están grandiosos (sobretodo DiCaprio y Waltz) y la última hora de película es una pasada. Sean fans o no de Tarantino y/o el western, véanla. De lo mejor del 2012.
  14. May 31, 2014
    Wow is all I could just say about this movie after watching it I've never seen a western like this if you are used to Clint Eastwood westerns they will not prepare you for this although this movie is not based on an actual story I feel without a doubt that the actions that took place in this film were not irregular practices which makes this movie have an early feel to it this movie wasWow is all I could just say about this movie after watching it I've never seen a western like this if you are used to Clint Eastwood westerns they will not prepare you for this although this movie is not based on an actual story I feel without a doubt that the actions that took place in this film were not irregular practices which makes this movie have an early feel to it this movie was gritty and bloody although I'm fine with and action packed scene or shootout there's parts of this movie that made me cringe and almost brought tears to my eyes something not many movies do and all the actors performances in this movie were amazing especially the villain never have I seen such a despicable character in a movie and it was executed perfectly by Leonardo DiCaprio. Expand
  15. May 4, 2014
    I don't care if you complain about the violence but Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's best. Great Characters and the usual astonishing and creative dialogue from Tarantino's head. Great performances bu the great Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and a very different role for DiCaprio, DiCaprio shows that he can be a very smart actor as a villain. Django is obviously is in my list of theI don't care if you complain about the violence but Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's best. Great Characters and the usual astonishing and creative dialogue from Tarantino's head. Great performances bu the great Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and a very different role for DiCaprio, DiCaprio shows that he can be a very smart actor as a villain. Django is obviously is in my list of the best films of 2012 Expand
  16. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique ofThis is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique of Tarantino, but most lasted an appropriate amount of time. This film managed to pull all of the right emotional strings. It was straightforward and compelling. Expand
  17. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, by far one of the best films by Tarantino. The story is great, the acting is superb... Basically everything is great! One thing that I like about Quentin's movies is the violence, and this film has tons of it! The film completely changed me and I will never forget it!
  18. Mar 22, 2014
    Tarantino hits another home run. This ones out of the city not just the park. What a interesting movie. The characters are amazing. Waltz is the good guy this time and he is wonderful. Fox is wonderful. I really enjoyed this movie. Must see. If you like QT movies you will love it. If you don't like QT movies....what can I say.
  19. Feb 10, 2014
    I enjoyed it, immensely in fact, something about Quentin Tarantino's movies that convey so much character and texture, and thus one delivers in spades on both of those accounts, yes there is gratuitous use of the dreaded n-word, but you can't possibly hate the movie because it didn't sweep our history under the rug. One of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion.
  20. Feb 9, 2014
    Finally got around to seeing this and was not disappointed in the least. Tarantino once again gives this movie his incredibly unique style, and it somehow works. Great music, great ending and great acting, especially by Leonardo DiCaprio, he absolutely nailed that character. This isn't a perfect movie, but its a damn good one that you need to watch.
  21. Feb 3, 2014
    完美的QT电影,几位配角都很抢眼特别是杰克逊和莱昂纳多,前者对于黑奴奴性的刻画到达疯狂的极致,后者饰演的奴隶主把自己的凶险演得特别好,晚餐对峙戏尤为精彩,配乐传统QT风,场景设计得很棒,剧情超级棒,各种转折和枪林弹雨,结尾大爱。
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, this is a long movie, but it is amazing all the way through. Quentin Tarantino makes some of the best films I have ever seen. This movie has just about everything you could ever want packed into one film. Witty humor, action, lots of excessive gore at some parts. This kind of film gives Tarantino a great reputation. His films are unlike anyone else's, which is why everyone should watch this.
  23. Jan 17, 2014
    Django Unchained is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 (Christmas Day), in North America.American western film filmed in Durango, Mexico
  24. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The effects, story and the characters made me watch it twice. Tarantino underlined very well how black people were treated like dogs which made me sad. Also excluding the sadness, there are many funny and awesome scenes. If you are reading this then watch the movie and thank me later..
  25. Jan 14, 2014
    Tarantino has done it again! Excellent performance by the cast especially Christoph Waltz who thoroughly deserved his Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson was essential to bringing humour with his 'Uncle Ruckus' -like performance and the ending was the icing on the cake. Thumbs up!
  26. Jan 9, 2014
    I loved every minute of this movie. The dialogue is amazingly well written and hilarious, the characters are memorable, the acting is terrific (Leo) and it's just a blast to watch. One of the best movies of 2012 and one of Tarantino's finest.
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    Entra pra lista como um dos filme mais incríveis de Quentin Tarantino, graças a sua trama, trilha sonora e personagens e sem contar boas doses exageradas de sangue.
  28. Dec 29, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present,I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present, along with a great deal of comical moments. The story and direction as well as the characters all deserve praise of the highest order. Even if you're not a Tarantino fan, you should definitely give Django a try. Expand
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    As one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it'sAs one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it's not. It does hit on a few heavy subject like slavery but it also has funny moments as all of his films do. Great movie. Go watch it Expand
  30. Oct 12, 2013
    This is by far one of my favorite movies. I love everything western and this movie followed the journey of a slave turned bounty hunter named Django in his search to find and free his wife. This movie has a good story, tons of action, and some comedy. This movie was also made by Quentin Tarantino so you know its good already.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.