6.0

1. Sep 3, 2014
    The Campaign is a modern look at politics and the art of campaigning for office. Zach Galifinakis gives his best on-screen performance to date. Still, the film is cheapened by Will Ferrell and some unnecessary dirty jokes.
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    The Campaign was just another comedy in my opinion. The idea is nice, but it wasn`t that funny.To many over the top moments. In this movie Zach Galifianakis plays the least funny character I have seen him play.Maybe if you watch this movie while having a drink or something it will be better but I was sober.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    A film about politics... and it's really stupid. Figures.

The main point of this film is to make a person laugh. And I did. Quite a lot. From simple things like the sight of Pugs staring out of a window, full of jealousy, to a baby being punched in the face. It is no masterpiece, but I was never bored and was always entertained. Ferrell and Galifianakis work great as the two rivals,
    A film about politics... and it's really stupid. Figures.

Ferrell and Galifianakis work great as the two rivals, and although this is mainly Galifianakis' story, the film tries to make you relate to both the characters. The film works pretty well, and definitely isn't one of Ferrell's so called 'misses', but I wouldn't say it was an 'Anchorman' level, simply because it doesn't have that sort of quotable nature- there are many more visual jokes etc.

The ending does ruin the fun feeling of the whole film, as many of the jokes seem to be taken too far, and everything then has to keep to the formula to keep the audience satisfied at the end- but overall this is a funny and entertaining film, that actually does have a bit to say about Politics.
  4. Jun 11, 2013
    It is a comedy to watch if you don't have anything else do an evening. Zach GAlifianakis was good but not as good as in the hangover and it's a kind of a funny story. I don't really like willam ferrel but he was likeable in that movie.That's all i have to say for this movie
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    I absolutely hate Will Ferrell, but I love Zach Galifianakis, even still, the Campaign is not usually the type of movie I would watch, so why did I? What put this film over the top and on to my radar, was it's Director, Jay Roach. He may not have name recognition, but when the man who Directed the Austin Powers and Meet The Parents trilogies releases a new comedy, I for one take notice.I absolutely hate Will Ferrell, but I love Zach Galifianakis, even still, the Campaign is not usually the type of movie I would watch, so why did I? What put this film over the top and on to my radar, was it's Director, Jay Roach. He may not have name recognition, but when the man who Directed the Austin Powers and Meet The Parents trilogies releases a new comedy, I for one take notice. The Campaign is also different from most Ferrell movies, being that it has a storyline, and he is a co-star, lessening the chances of him running off on some insane hallucination. Ferrell plays four term Congressman, Cam Brady, a wildly popular brown nose, who is hated by the opposing party. He's about to get a fifth term, unopposed, when a group of millionaires decide to fiance a campaign against him, featuring the son of a legend in Washington. There's one problem though, this man's son, is a complete idiot. As the campaign rages it's the veteran politician against his haters money and both sides will go to any and all lengths to win. This movie was a million times better than I thought it would be and absolutely hysterical. The writers take the idea of a dirty campaign and bring it to the extreme, with some things that have to be seen to be believed. Zach Galifianakis doesn't disappoint, giving us perhaps his best character since Alan in the Hangover, and to give credit where credit is due, yes, Will Ferrell matched him line for line, in what was the only thing I've liked him in since Elf. The film is further supported by some comedic legends in bit parts, making it a terrific, well-rounded comedy, that uses multiple styles to achieve it's goal of having the audience in hysterics. Expand
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    If you've ever seen a Will Ferrell comedy you’ll know exactly what type of humour to expect from The Campaign. Despite a very funny performance from Zach Galifianakis however it never really comes close to reaching the highs of Ferrell’s better movies and so, while it certainly makes for a watchable hour and a half, this won’t be one I’ll be watching more than once.
  7. Mar 27, 2013
    There are plenty of silly but crude laughs in The Campaign to make it a decent attempt at seeing a funnier side of the election year, but it falls into many traps that make it stopped it from being so much better.
    Will Ferrell stars as Cam Brady, an undefeated and unchallenged Congressman, but after leaving an explicit voicemail, he finally faces competition in the form of Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis), a simple-minded yet friendly tour guide, who is strategically placed by the corrupt Motch brothers, who are played and underused greatly by John Lithgow and Dan Aykroyd.
    The funnier moments are at the beginning of the film, the best part of the film has to be when Marty's family decides to let slip secrets to Marty by his request in case it ruins his election, the answers are crude, but are side-splittingly funny.
    What the ongoing problem was in the film was its corrupt sub-plot, something this film could have done without entirely, as it had its own standing stone and little jabs at the current system that would have made the film better.
    The two leads are on fine form though, Galifianakis in particular, who has created a very different sort of character, but Ferrell's character seems too toned down for the actor, whose ridiculous yet quite ingenious turn in Step Brothers was in a better good tone.
    Dylan McDermott also makes quite a comedic turn as the corrupt campaign manger, trying to spruce up and bring Huggins away from his current personality and making him compete and challenge Brady on a verbal and marketing scale.
    The big flaw in the film was that it never lets these two leads free, why couldn't they properly trash talk to each other, improvised and unhinged, instead we get a predictable plot with very little to laugh at after the first 30 mins. While there are a few gags throughout the entire film, they just seem too bland for these actors to put across.
    But ultimately, this is a decent attempt to poke fun at the current political climate by bringing in two powerhouse comedy actors and letting them have at it, its just a shame that it wasn't consistent.
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    To start off, I'm just gonna say that considering the cast involved, this movie could have been a lot better. I love both Will Ferrel and Zach Galifianakis' acting, but I feel like the writing was poor. So much more could have been done with the story and characters that I felt for most of the movie I was just waiting for something that never happened. It lacked the spark that other filmsTo start off, I'm just gonna say that considering the cast involved, this movie could have been a lot better. I love both Will Ferrel and Zach Galifianakis' acting, but I feel like the writing was poor. So much more could have been done with the story and characters that I felt for most of the movie I was just waiting for something that never happened. It lacked the spark that other films like Anchorman and Step Brothers possessed. I felt like the premise of the movie was something more suited for Adam Sandler. A slightly above average comedy, with some interesting visuals and jokes, but in all a disappointment. Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2013
    The movie makes good it's promise: raunchy, foul-mouthed humor, amusing moments, and a chemistry between Will and Zach that provides some real laughs without much of a story. The audience this film is intended for will be more than pleased. If you loved "Step Brothers" (2008), this is right up your alley. This is simply a stage for two prominent comedians to slug it out--and it has it'sThe movie makes good it's promise: raunchy, foul-mouthed humor, amusing moments, and a chemistry between Will and Zach that provides some real laughs without much of a story. The audience this film is intended for will be more than pleased. If you loved "Step Brothers" (2008), this is right up your alley. This is simply a stage for two prominent comedians to slug it out--and it has it's moments. North Carolina's district 14 is about to elect a new Congressman. Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) is running unopposed for a fifth consecutive term. After an affair and a massive scandal that follows, Brady's approval rating drops to the point where the billionaire Motch brothers find a candidate to replace him. They choose Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis), the son of a famous republican, to run against Brady. The ending is ridiculous in attempting some kind of unity of people, and delivering a "message" after 85 minutes of never ending offensive jokes and gags. It is what it is. Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Further proof as if any more was needed that Will Ferrell cannot carry a movie. Granted there are funny parts, but you are left with an empty feeling as the credits roll. This is the way I feel after everything Mr. Ferrell does. He should restrict his work to supporting roles.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    Not as good as a lot of other Will Ferrell movies but it's still a very funny movie and watching it after Obama stole yet another election is pretty perfect timing.
  12. Nov 15, 2012
    Want to know the truth about this movie? Well, only a small amount of it is actually real politics. Its actually a decent scripted comedy that pokes at corrupted politics and makes good laughs out of it. It has a few scenes that fall flat, but overall its a funny comedy that offends many.
  13. Nov 5, 2012
    Yes it has moments that are too stupid and tasteless to be funny, but don't all comedies these days? The important part is that it has enough good moments to make up for the bad ones.
  14. Nov 4, 2012
    At times, the Campaign is hilarious, utilizing its' stars chemistry to great effect, and at other times, The Campaign stumbles with poor writing and dialogue. The ending was particularly poor, not really tying things together efficiently at all.
  15. Nov 4, 2012
    The humor is hit-or-miss, but mostly stale. It is fairly passable entertainment until it develops a conscious and gets very dull, very quickly. Sharp satire, this is not.
  16. Oct 26, 2012
    With 2 comedy stars and a very strong supporting cast of experianced comediac actors leading this movie, You would have expected it to be a lot funnier then what it was. Plot was generic and got too corny at the end. I am a bit disapointed with it to be honest.
  17. Oct 20, 2012
    The Campaign follows a race for a North Carolina congressional district between incumbent Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) and newcomer Marty Huggins (Zach Galifinakis) and in most ways its very similar to another Gary Sanchez production, The Other Guys. Much like The Other Guys, The Campaign is a wildly absurd take on a much needed system. In The Other Guys it was the police force. In TheThe Campaign follows a race for a North Carolina congressional district between incumbent Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) and newcomer Marty Huggins (Zach Galifinakis) and in most ways its very similar to another Gary Sanchez production, The Other Guys. Much like The Other Guys, The Campaign is a wildly absurd take on a much needed system. In The Other Guys it was the police force. In The Campaign its local politics. However unlike The Other Guys, The Campaign tries much too hard getting its audience to laugh as it resorts to played out scenarios like adultery and swearing rants (although they are slightly elevated in quality due to Will Ferrell's ability as a performer). The Campaign has many good singular gags, a few touching moments and some actual character but its mostly drowned out by an its downfalls. Many of the jokes fail to land and Zach Galifinakis' Marty Huggins may be one of the most annoying movie characters around. It's a film that tries desperately to be liked and never really strives to be original and because of that it is more irritating than entertaining Expand
  18. Sep 28, 2012
    There are funny parts in this movie, but like all comedy movies they over stay their welcome. About half way through you will be bored because instead of being a comedy, it turns into a drama, and a bad one at that. It is fun to see them making fun of how ridiculous campaigns get.
  19. Sep 9, 2012
    Truly, this movie had no plot, but was so funny! The movie made me crack up, but the overall creation and story of the movie was messed up entirely. If you've seen other Will Ferrel movies, still see this.
  20. Sep 9, 2012
    I thought the movie had some very funny parts, while you could tell in other parts of the movie, they were just trying to make the movie longer. Overall, I did not feel as if I got my money's worth out of the movie, but would recommend watching it when it is out of theaters.
  21. Aug 27, 2012
    I have come to expect so much more from Ferrell & Galifianakis. Most of the good gags were in the commercials/trailers. The only scene where I laughed out loud was when Zach's character's family comes clean about their sins. I like the story and the commentary on politics today, but it really was short on laughs.
  22. Aug 27, 2012
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment. Zach Galifianakis at no point in the movie was funny. Will Ferrell carried this movie to the end. This movie had great potential to be hilarious. I have to admit that there were some points in the movie that were funny but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who had a low sense of humor and doesn't enjoy potty mouth language. I would notI have to say that this movie was a disappointment. Zach Galifianakis at no point in the movie was funny. Will Ferrell carried this movie to the end. This movie had great potential to be hilarious. I have to admit that there were some points in the movie that were funny but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who had a low sense of humor and doesn't enjoy potty mouth language. I would not see this movie again. I'm not even sure if it was worth seeing one time. Expand
  23. Aug 19, 2012
    Quick review. The campaign is as mindless as it gets. This could be a good thing if done rite, but in the hands of this director it was just a lazily slapped together farce. The humor is dry and would be better suited for a Saturday night live skit much less an actual film. It's so dry and void of any real substance or threat that it's almost as if the writers had no clue how life andQuick review. The campaign is as mindless as it gets. This could be a good thing if done rite, but in the hands of this director it was just a lazily slapped together farce. The humor is dry and would be better suited for a Saturday night live skit much less an actual film. It's so dry and void of any real substance or threat that it's almost as if the writers had no clue how life and family works. In one scene one of the main characters wife's cheats on him, then she tries to make him feel bad saying that he's never around. **** you cheated on him don't make him out to be the bad guy.
    At the end of the day the campaign is a lazily put together piece of film that is neither to in depth to be taken seriously, and lacks anywhere near enough humor to be considered mindless fun.
  24. Aug 19, 2012
    I wouldn't take my parents to see this movie! I just wonder what kind of parents would let their kids be in this movie? It's downright raunchy. It has some funny parts and the ending did have a semi-good quality about it and it's too bad that we don't have politicians that would give up the power and let someone take over that might do some good. It's a DVD rental. Don't go spend your hardI wouldn't take my parents to see this movie! I just wonder what kind of parents would let their kids be in this movie? It's downright raunchy. It has some funny parts and the ending did have a semi-good quality about it and it's too bad that we don't have politicians that would give up the power and let someone take over that might do some good. It's a DVD rental. Don't go spend your hard earned money on this flick! Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2012
    Not all the jokes succeed and the end tries to make itself to important, but the rest of this film is good funny satire with plenty of references to past campaigns. It makes for an all right time at the movies.
  26. Aug 14, 2012
    Will Ferrell plays the arrogant incumbent NC Congressman, who's challenged by prissy, inept Zach Galifianakis. Thus begins the crazy, cutthroat battle with lots of absurd situations. The comedy is sometimes clever and amusing, while some of the jokes fall flat. Director Jay Roach, who's comfortable in this wacky world, manages to keep the energy up and push enough outrageous buttons.Will Ferrell plays the arrogant incumbent NC Congressman, who's challenged by prissy, inept Zach Galifianakis. Thus begins the crazy, cutthroat battle with lots of absurd situations. The comedy is sometimes clever and amusing, while some of the jokes fall flat. Director Jay Roach, who's comfortable in this wacky world, manages to keep the energy up and push enough outrageous buttons. Ferrell is predictably comical, while Galifianakis is more inventive and fun. This may not be as original or funny as some of the other films by this team, but there's plenty in this political satire to entertain. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2012
    Going into the theater, I was expecting quite a bit from this film. Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis appeared to be an excellent comedic pair, seeing as they were both incredibly funny actors. I was, unfortunately, let down, as I watched carbon copies of Ferrell

1. Reviewed by: Simon Braund
    Sep 24, 2012
    The Campaign gets by on its stars' comic compatibility and a relentless stream of jokes, many of which are laugh-out-loud funny. The only real downer is the ending, which feels tacked on like a hanging chad.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 1, 2012
    Although only slightly more outrageous than reality, The Campaign is a funny, pacy peek behind the political curtain.
    Roach is too stiff a director to give Ferrell room to romp. Bits like the one in which he's challenged to recite "The Lord's Prayer" needed extra zigs and zags instead of variations on the same joke. A looser director like Adam McKay (Step Brothers) might have created a happier climate for improv.