8.2

1. May 14, 2015
    A revisit of Kevin Smith’s subversive religious comedy DOGMA, “subversive” may it seems in a story where God is a woman (played by the one-and-only Alanis Morissette, whose voice can shatter anything into fragments, deservingly to be the choice chanteuse during my adolescence); there is a 13th apostle Rufus (Rock) who has been omitted in the Bible simply because of his skin colour; twoA revisit of Kevin Smith’s subversive religious comedy DOGMA, “subversive” may it seems in a story where God is a woman (played by the one-and-only Alanis Morissette, whose voice can shatter anything into fragments, deservingly to be the choice chanteuse during my adolescence); there is a 13th apostle Rufus (Rock) who has been omitted in the Bible simply because of his skin colour; two fallen angles Loki (Damon) and Bartleby (Affleck) find a loophole induced by a new “Buddy Christ” propaganda from Cardinal Glick (Carlin) in New Jersey, they will get the supposed plenary indulgence and re-enter Heaven, until one of them goes berserk becomes a human-killing winged creature. A blasphemy cannot be dodged for sure, but eventually the film appears not as subversive as the synopsis suggests, au fond, Smith simply picks various characters from religious myth and squeeze them into a wacky adventure of fantasy without even badmouthing Catholicism, there should be no hard-feeling (as the opening pointers amusingly noted).

keep reading my review on my blog, please google: cinema omnivore, thanks!
  2. Sep 14, 2014
    One of the most entertaining / humorous films ever made. It is a shame that this movie is nearly unknown. It has an interesting and funny take on religion but it stays also true to religious teachings. The cast is perfect, all actors did a great job. The plot is the most entertaining material I have seen in years. Bonus: Jay and Silent Bob are in the movie. So the entertainment andOne of the most entertaining / humorous films ever made. It is a shame that this movie is nearly unknown. It has an interesting and funny take on religion but it stays also true to religious teachings. The cast is perfect, all actors did a great job. The plot is the most entertaining material I have seen in years. Bonus: Jay and Silent Bob are in the movie. So the entertainment and laughing is guaranteed. For all religious people that will complain: I am a christian! But I don't believe in hate and hatemonger / preachers of hate. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2014
    Often witty, interesting and occasionally insightful I think this film is rather underrated. Its a unique and original way of looking at mythology and religion, and the characters are (for the most part) well thought out and written. There are perhaps a few too many pointless and dumb jokes, for example the excremental, and the end left me feeling just a little unfulfilled but none theOften witty, interesting and occasionally insightful I think this film is rather underrated. Its a unique and original way of looking at mythology and religion, and the characters are (for the most part) well thought out and written. There are perhaps a few too many pointless and dumb jokes, for example the excremental, and the end left me feeling just a little unfulfilled but none the less it is definitely worth watching. The acting is excellent, the best I've ever seen from Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Alan Rickman plays his part amazingly and in fact from all these actors we see brilliant performances and even a few surprisingly moving moments. This reveals that perhaps film had more potential, and I think with a few edits it could have been a real master piece. Overall a great film falling just a little off its potential, but still with many fantastic moments. Well worth watching. Expand
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    A pretty funny movie and one I would recommend to anyone who likes Kevin Smiths movies (although it is one I would think most Smith fans have seen by now). A great premise done very well. My only two real problems with this movie is the whole part with the excrimental, which was more just dumb and not so funny and I am a fan Kevin Smith and Jay and Silent Bob but there are times I find JayA pretty funny movie and one I would recommend to anyone who likes Kevin Smiths movies (although it is one I would think most Smith fans have seen by now). A great premise done very well. My only two real problems with this movie is the whole part with the excrimental, which was more just dumb and not so funny and I am a fan Kevin Smith and Jay and Silent Bob but there are times I find Jay very annoying but that mainly depends on my mood I think. Collapse
  5. Dec 31, 2012
    A hilarious and stupid movie! I didnt think it was possible to make a 'religious' movie so funny! But it was a terrible story line in general. Another great movie by Affleck and Silent Bob :P
  6. Dec 21, 2012
    Excremental aside this is a really good movie. Interesting premise and fine comedic performances from the usual View Askewniverse cast. Simply a good time.
  7. Jul 31, 2012
    Dogma was about 2 hours long but it felt like 3 1/2 hours long. The jokes weren't funny any if their were any religious message or questing in the film, it was lost due to the fact that this movie just sucks. Don't waste your time watching this movie.
  8. Sep 7, 2011
    My third favorite movie of all time. It's a refreshingly intelligent comedy that makes fun of religion without any atheistic agenda. I'm a Christian, and I didn't find this movie offensive at all (which actually suprised me). If your a Catholic on the other hand...watch with caution.
  9. Mar 23, 2011
    As soon as I saw Ben Affleck appear, and that was after about 180 seconds, I knew this movie would suck the life out of you. The opening scene is like a cheap home video made by kids. The second scene is a priest presenting a ridiculous statue of Jesus to a small group of reporters. Did noone ever tell the filmmakers that crowd scenes are either to be large, or to be avoided at all costs,As soon as I saw Ben Affleck appear, and that was after about 180 seconds, I knew this movie would suck the life out of you. The opening scene is like a cheap home video made by kids. The second scene is a priest presenting a ridiculous statue of Jesus to a small group of reporters. Did noone ever tell the filmmakers that crowd scenes are either to be large, or to be avoided at all costs, because otherwise they look cheap ? Anyway, we know Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are friends, but Matt's career took off, while Ben's did not.
    Another one for the bin of worst movies of all time. How bad can they get ? Unbelievable.
  10. Feb 23, 2011
    any one looking at this other then entertainment and trying to blast it as bibleical blaspamy is missing the whoel point of what this is . just a entertaining movie . has a great cast some funny lines and i think some of smiths best work.
  11. Oct 23, 2010
    An interesting take on religion to say the least. Probably not the most popular movie in Christian circles, Dogma produces an everyday subject matter in a original way. The movie did go on slightly too long but I did enjoy seeing a bit of Alan Rickman.
  12. Riren
    Mar 4, 2007
    A movie about religion that will tick off staunch atheists and zealots? Well hey! It's a mix of blasphemy and profanity that are always measured to be just implausible or irreverent enough to be disarmingly funny. There is substance wedged down inside it: defense of individual faith, the lineage of Christ, the hypocrisy of the confident. Silent Bob is a cute reoccuring character in A movie about religion that will tick off staunch atheists and zealots? Well hey! It's a mix of blasphemy and profanity that are always measured to be just implausible or irreverent enough to be disarmingly funny. There is substance wedged down inside it: defense of individual faith, the lineage of Christ, the hypocrisy of the confident. Silent Bob is a cute reoccuring character in Smith's movies, but why does the director insert himself into his movie about religion, and play a mute? Yet where other religious movies watch like a thesis, this is more like a conversation with a smart and funny friend. And really, there's nothing so useful in spirituality as that. Expand
  13. Robugly
    Dec 29, 2005
    I just watched that movie and thought it was pretty good.
  14. KarenT.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Dogma surprised me by not being sacriligious; it actually has a respectful love of individual faith, just an appalled disgust for "organized" religion and its hypocritical complexities. Kevin Smith stuffs the script with really funny stuff, charming characters, and thought-provoking situations. In spite of the fact that it feels like it taught me something, Dogma is one of my three Dogma surprised me by not being sacriligious; it actually has a respectful love of individual faith, just an appalled disgust for "organized" religion and its hypocritical complexities. Kevin Smith stuffs the script with really funny stuff, charming characters, and thought-provoking situations. In spite of the fact that it feels like it taught me something, Dogma is one of my three favorite movies of all time, the kind I can watch over and over and quote from often. A don't-miss for the faithful and nonreligious alike. Expand
  15. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    The third best Kevin Smith film (out of 5). This is a great film. It is so funny, and yet so creative!This is probably one of the best ten or five films of 1999. A large amount of big name actors star in his hilarious, twisted, religous comedy that will have everyone talking and a big cult following! The story is about a woman Bethany (Linda Fiorientino) who is the great great grand niece The third best Kevin Smith film (out of 5). This is a great film. It is so funny, and yet so creative!This is probably one of the best ten or five films of 1999. A large amount of big name actors star in his hilarious, twisted, religous comedy that will have everyone talking and a big cult following! The story is about a woman Bethany (Linda Fiorientino) who is the great great grand niece of Jesus Christ himself. She must stop two bad angels Bartleby (Ben Affleck) and the Angel of Death, Loki (Matt Damon) from re-entering heaven, after being thrown out, by passing through the hall of a church, which we forgive them of all their sins, thus proving god wrong. Since the church is being closed by Cardinal Glick (George Carlin) they must hurry soon. She is helped along the way by two profits, Jay and Silent Bob (Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith), the 13th Apostle named Rufus (Chris Rock) who was unfortunatley left outside of the bible, a muse named Serendipity (Salma Heyek), and the lead angel and voice of god Metatron (Alan Rickman). Bartleby and Loki are also helped by a mean, funny demon named Azrael (Jason Lee). The movie has some interesting twists and is absolutley hilarious. Jay and Silent Bob have the biggest part they have ever had in any of Kevin Smith's films (besides "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"). The film also co-stars Brian O'Halloran (who played Dante Hicks in Clerks), Jeff Anderson (who played Randal in Clerks), Janeane Garofolo, Bud Cort and Alanis Morissette as God. For anybody looking for a good comedy rent Dogma. (2/20/03) Expand
  16. KatieP
    Jul 24, 2004
    It was funny and smart. Alanis Morissette playing God was an added bonus. Great movie. Booooong!!!!
  17. StGilbertOfMulroneycakes
    Jan 25, 2004
    Calling all avenging angels, angels, kick-ass angels...You know, we need more films like this one. Films which deal with religion without either belittling it or absolving it of any wrongdoing. And that are funny. And everything. Films, in short, that strike a perfect balance between knob gags and thought-provoking social commentary. Even if the Smith lets his characters go off on one a Calling all avenging angels, angels, kick-ass angels...You know, we need more films like this one. Films which deal with religion without either belittling it or absolving it of any wrongdoing. And that are funny. And everything. Films, in short, that strike a perfect balance between knob gags and thought-provoking social commentary. Even if the Smith lets his characters go off on one a little too often, the script has wit, intelligence and insight all in one (it's certainly not a "full length comedy script with one liners" - if anything it's a comedy drama. Or even a fantasy comedy drama...only people may kill me for using that word "fantasy" about the Christian faith and that). Our Kev's also got better at the directing lark - he was floundering a little with the huge budget of Mallrats, but here he does brilliantly with both a more complex script and a brilliant cast. And of course, it's both irreverent and very reverent of the Catholic Church - or at least the Catholic faith, the Church has its own problems. Recommended, unless you're one of those gits who complained in the first place about a film being made about Christianity and Catholicism at all...in which case you can just sit there and steam in your own righteousness. Oh, and if you're a Platypus lover, you may not enjoy it so much either. Or if you have a short attention span Everyone else: go watch. Expand
  18. PatC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    Shallow. Failed to hold my attention. Religion can be a funny topic, but not as a full-length comedy skit with one-liners. The only profound question here is: What does it say about God that he allowed this project to proceed?
  19. Marc-oO.
    Sep 25, 2003
    Clever, inventive and full of heart, Dogma is not as some seem to think a swipe at the catholic church its just a testament to Kevin Smiths own faith (a faith that does not need the rules, judgement and hipocracy of organised religon) Excellent cast as expected witty dialogue just one fault , not enough of the excellent Jason Lee Praise be!!!
  20. JohnS.
    Sep 3, 2002
    I never laughed as hard as I did when Carlin came out dressed as a Catholic Bishop. Being Catholic myself, it also brings a lot of thought about blind belief in human rules.
  21. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    It's hard to know whether Smith made this one for the easily offended or for the unoffendable. Either way, it's funnier than a fart during Sunday mass. Smith must have some terrible secrets about this cast to keep bringing them back for Jay and Silent Bob flicks, and thank God for it. Forget everything you're parents said while you were growing up and laugh yourself all the It's hard to know whether Smith made this one for the easily offended or for the unoffendable. Either way, it's funnier than a fart during Sunday mass. Smith must have some terrible secrets about this cast to keep bringing them back for Jay and Silent Bob flicks, and thank God for it. Forget everything you're parents said while you were growing up and laugh yourself all the way to hell. Expand
  22. TomL
    Aug 2, 2002
    Lost my attention.
  23. Kristen
    Jul 12, 2002
    I usually am not one for religious films, but for this one I'll make an exception. It as hillarious all the way through, and they couldn't have picked better actors!
  24. AndrewC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    How else would you make a film portraying the catholic church and/or its members. Great film.
  25. AndrewF.
    Nov 22, 2001
    Slightly disjointed from the New Jersey Trilogy, nevertheless this movie is clever and funny. A good introduction to Kevin Smith's style and humour for thise who wonder what all the fuss is about.
  26. CY
    Sep 24, 2001
    Very well thought up. Smith's best film.
  27. RyanM.
    Aug 24, 2001
    One of the best, and certainly the funniest films of the year! Yet still Smith's funniest meanders revolve around his hysterical foul mouthed duo, Jay and Silent Bob, which is now one of the funniest comedic duos that cinema has ever produced.
  28. MichaelF.
    Aug 7, 2001
    This is a great film! It is hysterical as well as meaningful. I'm not a religous man, but I really think that I found something out of this movie which gave me a bit of faith. Kevin Smith really knows his comedy. A must-see!
  29. MarcD.
    Apr 3, 2001
    As a Catholic, this movie was great fun to watch. I have no idea what the faux-protests were all about??

For a while, the film is screamingly funny, but the further it goes, the more muddled the narrative becomes.
  2. Wildly irreverent fantasy.
  3. A raucous, profane but surprisingly endearing piece of work.