Dogtooth

7.7

1. Jun 9, 2011
    I love disturbing movies, independent movies, foreign movies--I thought this film was tailor made for me. However, by the end, the gratuitous violence, repeated crassness, and shock after shock after shock had worn me down completely. This is a movie with great potential and an excellent premise, and several scenes are very well done. But the movie is so obsessed with being DisturbingI love disturbing movies, independent movies, foreign movies--I thought this film was tailor made for me. However, by the end, the gratuitous violence, repeated crassness, and shock after shock after shock had worn me down completely. This is a movie with great potential and an excellent premise, and several scenes are very well done. But the movie is so obsessed with being Disturbing (capital D) and Shocking that it feels like you are being repeatedly hit over the head with a sledgehammer. Exhausting! This film is not funny, or entertaining--it is hard work. I much preferred Haneke's Funny Games and even von Trier's Antichrist (though the last also grew monotonous and difficult to watch, I felt it had more artistic merit, and frankly I was less bored). Collapse
  2. Jul 8, 2015
    Seriously, on of the worst movies ever. Even disaster movie was better.. Avoid it at all costs. Boring, slow action, some sex scenes for fill in, slow talking characters..

Lanthumos's accomplished and fascinating Dogtooth pushes the notion of parents screwing up their kids into seriously disturbing and darkly comic terrain.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Olsen
    Jan 6, 2011
    Though its elusive character is undoubtedly part of its strength, Dogtooth ends up feeling somehow like a dodge and a sidestep. As a film, it's pure and singular, but it's not quite fully formed enough to be what one could call truly visionary.
  3. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    As harrowing as it is humorous, Giorgos Lanthimos' award-winning journey to a family's heart of darkness is unflinchingly detailed, thought-provoking fare.