8.6

1. Sep 22, 2014
    Um bom filme, onde vemos boa referencias da vida, como por exemplo, ser influenciado pelos outros (no filme é o coelho de 2 metros), e também, a questão da viagem do tempo que é bem interessante. Contudo, acho que esse filme foi super valorizado, as vezes o ritmo entra num tédio, mas no geral vale a pena pela história e atores.
  2. Aug 26, 2014
    Donnie Darko is an ambitious film, and it knows what it wants from the viewer, your attention to detail and a re - watch, because one viewing of the movie is not enough to understand it.
  3. Aug 21, 2014
    Multiverse theory, time travel, and metaphysics? I'm sold! As a physics major, these concepts are of great excitement to me, and this movie delivers on that. An incredibly intricate plot that excels at warping your mind and makes you consider the possibilities and implications of time travel. I won't go into the details of what the movie presents, but I assure you that this movie will likely blow your mind.

The direction and production of this master-work are pretty much flawless. As are the performances of the ensemble cast.

Put simply, this movie is one of my personal favorites of all-time, and is in my opinion a true classic.
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    Donnie Darko: 6 out of 10: Some movies just pass me right by. I found Amelie by the end more irritating than cute, I didn't laugh once at Rushmore, and only a hostage situation could coerce me to watch The Piano again.

Donnie Darko has a large legion of fans and I certainly understand its appeal. The acting by both Jake Gyllenhaal and Drew Barrymore is some of their best work. The rest
    of the cast also shines with a special kudos to Holmes Osborne as the father in what is almost always a throw away role.

The school and kids remind me of my high school from the eighties (Though this being Hollywood the music is much better than what the radio actually played in those years.) and the filmmakers certainly know how to frame a shot. I was even able to look past the Holden Caulfield and Harvey flashbacks the movie caused me to suffer.

So what went wrong… the plot. Oh up until the payoff it's fine enough, in fact it is better than fine. One wonders how the filmmakers are going to pull it off. The answer is simple. They don't. If anything the end of the movie reminded me of that atrocious horror film from a few years back Soul Survivors. Like Soul Survivors the movie holds your interest with more and more implausible plot twists and coincidences then cheats at the end like a bad junior high school English essay.

Now Donnie Darko is otherwise superior to Soul Survivors and other films where the ending is a groaner (cough The Village cough), but after all that goodness the magic is gone and they couldn't pull a rabbit out of their hat. Even a six foot demonic one.
  5. Jul 16, 2014
    Donnie Darko can't really really be summarised, it's too unique. However, it is possible to list all of the things it achieves in it's 2 hour run time. It's funny without losing it's grim tone, it's a physiological thriller that blends themes of time travel and isolation into a coherent plot, and it is an drama so well portrayed that even the most illogical components of this tale are believable in its world.
    The main character, Donnie, is a teenager with schizophrenia who is met by a human wearing a demonic-rabbit Halloween costume. This rabbit tells him that the world is too end in 28 days, due to a part of the world that Donnie was closest to collapsing. Donnie is the only one that can save the universe, as he was the primary receiver to the event that is threatening to destroy the universe. I won't say what the event is as it would partially ruin its unravelling throughout the film. This sets up what is to be a fascinatingly complex thriller.
    Donnie's character is an mysterious oddity for much of the film, yet he still manages to be sympathetic enough for you to side with him in this mind bending story. 'Darko' deals with very advanced subject matter without being up its own arse, as well as dealing with ideas of remoteness and even young love without becoming preachy.
    It will leave you saddened yet satisfied, as the ending is so well wrapped up. Everything about this film is wonderful. This may sound cliché, but it remains a must see, even 13 years on from its release.
  6. Jul 12, 2014
    Well I had an awesome review (1000+ words), but of course it just disappeared.
    It's an mysterious and entertaining movie, but with to much boring and slow scenes.

Donnie Darko gets a 6.8/10
  7. Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe not the greatest mind **** ive ever seen but the film truly is unique and stands out from all over blockbuster titles, with a very original premise to time-travel that feels so real and different compared to other sc-fi flicks. I absolutely enjoyed every moment of Donnie Darko every performance was spot on, absolutely stunning film.
  8. Mar 9, 2014
    An intoxicating, engrossing, creepy, and ultimately tragic film. I felt close to the characters and cared about their dilemmas, especially Donnie's. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is Oscar worthy, and it is the rock in which this disturbing mind bender is built upon. The movie enthralled me, gripped my attention, and spat me out into a mangled but hypnotized mess. I did have a few problems with it though. The time travel elements aren't explained very well, which leads to some occasional headache inducing confusion. I also found that the ending, like Roger Ebert said, lacked closure. For the most part though, this is a chilling and emotionally affecting debut that you won't be able to get out of your head for a very long time. Going to have to see the director's cut at some point. Expand
  9. Jan 25, 2014
    Possibly one of the greatest movies ever made, so deep, so significant, so meaningful and profound... I will not say anything more except that if you love movies with a meaning and depth that at the same time are convoluted twisted and need interpretation to comprehend you'll love this one. Especially as a teenager or a young adult.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    A great movie, but not as good as the Directors Cut which helps explain the plot more, aside that, if you can understand, it's one of the best movies to date.
  11. Oct 29, 2013
    A little mix of everything, but really, at the end of the day, this is a stone cold psychological thriller that enjoys messing with your mind. It's engrossing, terrifying, and will leave you wondering what the heck you judge watched; everything a psychological thriller should be. Jake Gyllenhaal shines in the lead role and all of the other actors also do marvelous jobs.
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever, if nothing else for the fact that it gets better each time you watch it. Its a little more mindblowing each time. It's also very funny in a very smart way. The soundtrack is incredible and in my opinion this movie is a masterpiece.
  13. Sep 25, 2013
    This is a very intriguing movie. There's a lot of mystery to it; the kind of movie the viewer really needs to think about which I really like. If you want a different and interesting movie this is worth a watch.
  14. Sep 15, 2013
    Great psychological thriller movie with an intelligent blend of sci-fi and drama elements. This movie is full of complex and inspirational quotes that will may influence you into thinking the meaning behind this world.
  15. Sep 13, 2013
    A movie in which I would say I respect more than enjoy. The underlying themes and plot devices will give you a joyous moment of realization once discovered. All the performances are very strong, especially from Jake Gyllenhaal. Blends genres masterfully, and boasts some brilliant cinematography. Overall, this film is proof that movies are capable of being art.
  16. Sep 10, 2013
    Pretty weird movie if you ask me, but catchy. It is a mix of teenager-school-everyday_life-movie and psychological science fiction about time travel. Worth watching of course, the actors are nice, especially Jake Gyllenhaal as Donny Darko. The story is really interesting and pretty mysterious in the beginning and you get to know what is really happening only in the end (if you want to find the real meaning watch the director's version, it contains some necessary scenes). Some people are disappointed with the lack of action and slow story progression, but I was consumed by the atmosphere for the very beginning to end. Expand
  17. Jul 11, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    Don’t get me wrong. Donnie Darko is a wonderful film, full of suspense, motion, and a constantly intriguing, if not unsettling mood. However, it’s plagued with two problems: it’s too ambitious, and it never stops to give the audience time to collect its thoughts.
    Firstly, the ambition. It appears that director
    Richard Kelly had a lot on his mind for this story. Filmmaking is an art that cthat cthat cannot be done without vast imagination and a spinning mind. Unfortunately, Kelly’s ambition got the best of him. The result is an overly-thrilling roller coaster ride that simultaneously intrigues and disorients its riders. Even the “resolution” at the end with Frank the rabbit (a character I personally like) and the storm of the tangent universe couldn’t clean up the mess that was Donnie Darko’s plotline.
    A bigger problem with the film was its rushing speed. There was never one moment where Donnie stopped to explain to the audience what exactly was going on (one of his therapy sessions could have done this seamlessly). Instead, we are given sporadic (and untimely) ten-second excerpts from a woman’s philosophical discoveries in time travel. Again, this results in a disorienting roller coaster ride that would be a lot more fun if Kelly had taken a moment to decelerate and catch the audience up on the twisting plotline.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: the film had a very interesting premise, a fascinatingly somber ambiance, and some wildly good moments of suspense and filmmaking genius (most of which involved Frank and/or sleepwalking). Sadly, its ultimate potential was not met, and what could have been one of the best films of the year turned out instead to be a flurry of ambitious ideas riddled with sci-fi fancies and schizophrenic attacks.

FINAL SCORE: 65 (a neat watch ----------o---------- pretty good)
  18. Jun 25, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever, if nothing else for the fact that it gets better each time you watch it. Its a little more mindblowing each time. It's also very funny in a very smart way. The cast is INCREDIBLE, as is the soundtrack. My one warning would be to expect to come out of watching this being afraid of rabbits, motivational speakers, and airplanes.
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    Donnie Darko will play with your head, which just makes this amazingly written movie even better. Gyllenhaal provides a stunning performance and Kelly gives an extremely interesting direction in this thriller-horror-drama-and even teen film.
  20. Feb 28, 2013
    I can't really understand what all the fuzz is about regarding this movie. There's no denying that it's a good idea, but the movie is, all in all, very boring. Nothing really happens and the plot doesn't develop. Luckily, the ending is satisfying (although a bit sad), as long as you can understand what's going on.
  21. Jan 5, 2013
    That the film includes elements of science fiction, horror, and dry, dark comedy makes it not only eminently fun, but also somewhat disturbing to watch, for this is much the way high school tends to loom in individual memory, no matter the collective obfuscations. Cleverly metaphorical and sometimes frighteningly literal, Donnie Darko connects memory with the local and broader cultures that shape it, and never lets you forget that recollection is a process of questions and permutations, not a fixed and absolute answer. Collapse
  22. Dec 27, 2012
    'Donnie Darko' is an indisputable masterpiece, a film that manages to victoriously establish an intricate mythological universe in less than two and a half hours. It expounds an eerie, mystical atmosphere that inculcate fear and evoke philosophical contemplation in audiences, proving its incredible intellectual nature. Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of his best performances, driving the emotional depth, reinforcing the grim and morose tone to the film. Deep concepts that are quite often, incomprehensible (without repeat viewings) coupled with astonishing plot twists and an incredulously jaw-dropping climax result in the most commemorated indie cult film, and one of the finest films of our time. Expand
  23. Dec 2, 2012
    A mixture of horror, drama, psychological thriller, comedy,and brief action make this a must see movie especially with movie stars that are randomly famous appearing here and there.
    A+
  24. Nov 28, 2012
    An excellent story, rich with (forgive me) dark and provocative themes and a great performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.
  25. Nov 26, 2012
    All I can say is: I was mindf***ed. Great acting, creepy atmosphere, and incredible twists. It all culminates in such a terrific climax that my mind reeled. If you appreciate movies, see Donnie Darko.
  26. Nov 14, 2012
    Really crazy, deep, moving movie. I've only seen it once, but I really want to see it again. I know there's more to it that I probably missed the first time around.
  27. Nov 12, 2012
    It requires and demands multiple viewings. That; however, is not a problem, considering it's compulsively watchable, and you'll catch on to new ideas every time you watch.
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was a masterpiece. I loved every minute of it. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it. I was slightly disappointed about the ending because I didn't quite "get" it but it didn't negatively impact it for me. I know some endings can ruin entire movies/video games. I loved Frank. I don't have much to complain about so I think a 10 is in order here. Why this movie isn't a financial success is beyond me. I think this movie needs a rerelease to theaters with some advertising. Expand
  29. Aug 29, 2012
    Few films have demanded such attention from an audiences as Richard Kelly's stunningly troubled debut which follows a young man attempt to deal with his life and oddities in the midst of falling in love and the debt of a mysterious Bunny known only as Frank. A film which demands so much from its audience, but provides with such captivating weirdness and a beautiful premise involving a hauntingly spellbinding use of mad world is well worth the watch. Expand
  30. Jun 27, 2012
    A film that intrigues you start going forward and that surprises you. The creator of this film was truly a genius!
  31. Jun 20, 2012
    Donnie Darko Is not a straight forward film, it is very complex, which makes it hard to stay focused as it may get boring. It is a smart and interesting and not to mention trippy.
  32. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    Even though Donnie Darko is a messy movie, you don't walk away disappointed. You think about what you just watched and what it meant. The Directors Cut kind of ties some loose ends and makes it even more thought-provoking.
  33. Feb 14, 2012
    It's full of inspiration and ideas, but "Donnie Darko" doesn't quite get the order right.
  34. Jan 5, 2012
    A well done twisted thriller that does unit it's story in the end but that is not saying it entirely suceeds. The end did not cheat nor did it ruin the great experience to that point.
  35. Dec 28, 2011
    Donnie Darko is one of the most surreal, complex and mind bending films I've ever seen, it has so many layers that it deserves repeat viewings. It is full of symbolism and smart dialogue.The soundtrack is fantastic and adheres perfectly with the tone and mood of the film. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time because it really makes you think about what is going on and where the movie is headed. I wish more movies like this were made. I still dont fully understand some parts of the film so you can probably have a good discussion of the film if you watch it with a friend. Stop reading this and go see it now! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Chris Gore
    Jun 16, 2011
    This is really one of those Rorschach test films. You either love it or hate it. For those who loved it, I have only one word: overrated.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Jun 16, 2011
    The nerviest, oddest, most outlandish and idiosyncratic American indie debut since "Buffalo 66," Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko defies description.
  3. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    Jun 16, 2011
    Like gathering storm clouds, Donnie Darko creates an atmosphere of eerie calm and mounting menace -- stands as one of the most exceptional movies of 2001.