7.8

1. Nov 22, 2011
    Critics got this film so wrong. Yes it does center around a controversional issue (sexual abuse by priests of the catholic church) but its a fantastic film. Its interesting from start to finish, The main cast is excellent, and it features a satisfying ending. Go watch this film now!
  2. Apr 13, 2011
    Excellent performances by Streep, Hoffman and Davis still couldn't lift what emerged as a strangely unsatisfying film which asked more questions than it answered. As an adaptation of a stage play it had that faintly awkward, limited feel of a story that had been shrunk to fit the scenery.
  3. Feb 20, 2012
    "Doubt" is one of the better acted films I've had the fortunate opportunity of seeing for quite a while. Every single actor in this movie pulls off spectacular performances in each of their quite unique and different roles. Once again Meryl Streep is the standout and her conduct is nothing short of spectacular. However more character development could have been further explored into the backgrounds of the three respective leads and the ending abruptly ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger without giving the audience closure. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2012
    A little controversial but without a doubt an amazing film that left me speechless. Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman give untouchable performances no doubt worthy of the highest of awards. The story was great. The emotional release I got from this film reminded me of The Godfather. Truely an amazing and underrated film.
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    The film had good performances by everyone and the style of directing was interesting. The director made it fell like we were always eavesdropping and not suppose to hear what was taking place. But even with all the good performances it emerged as a strangely unsatisfying film which asked more questions than it answered.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    Now this was a tense movie. Meryl was excellent. She was so funny and ruthless at the same time. Amy and Viola were at the top of their game adding such freshness to the film. And Seymour was was Seymour. He is always good. A wonderful detective type film.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Seemingly testing what the audience knows just as much as what the characters do, "Doubt" effortlessly juggles provocative characters and ideas while seamlessly conjuring up some stellar storytelling.
  8. May 23, 2013
    Based on a play, Doubt unveils its story much like a play; nothing plot wise is expressed in an obvious way and allows the audience to join in interpreting what is happening. This in combination with 3 stunning lead performances make Doubt one of the best films of 2008. Worth a watch.
  9. Feb 6, 2014
    Watching the first sermon about doubt is without doubt liberating. I have enjoyed every moment of this film. The cast gave an outstanding performance. Top notch.
  10. Dec 29, 2013
    Doubt is a very slick film, being atmospheric and very good-looking, as well as masterfully written and then manipulated by John Patrick Shanley. Everything seems perfectly in place, apart from, of course, whodunit? This film is so cleverly layered that every viewer comes out with a different interpretation, which makes this a thought-provoking movie. However, the subtlety and impressively stark realism of the writing suggests that this film is 'not inviting a guessing game'. This film is more complex than 'who do you think did it', and has more to say, as shown by the morals preached at us by Philip Seymour Hoffman and the questions raised by Meryl Streep's remarkably acted character Sister Aloysius Beauvier. On the surface, everything about this film is slick, attractive, atmospheric and almost conventional, but underlying is a great sense of tension, meaning and dimension. This film makes us doubt our doubts? What are we supposed to be doubting? Who knows, but all I know is that I doubt you'll find a more thought-provoking film from that year. Expand

1. Shanley turns out to have dismayingly few original cinematic notions to back up the basic did-he-or-didn't-he hook in his study of conviction and compassion.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Doubt stirs up a lot of stormy theatrical weather, but the stolid transfer from stage to screen does Shanley's play no favors.
    Streep can do anything. She is, of course, wasted on this elephantine fable; if only Doubt had been made in 1964, shot by Roger Corman over a long weekend, and retitled "Spawn of the Devil Witch" or "Blood Wimple," all would have been forgiven