1. CathyC.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Only comes in at a one as I happen to like Streep, so giving it a 0 would'nt be kind! Thank god, the theatre had comfortable seats otherwise I would have likened this to Penance after confession in the good old days of Catholic education.
  2. TonyC.
    Jan 3, 2009
    I loved the play. The language was sharp, the drama satsfying, and the characters heightened. The direction of the movie was lame with Shanley successing briliantly on the stage and failing on the screen by telegraphing emotion with cheap effects instead of letting the characters speak for themselves.
  3. MattV.
    Jan 17, 2009
    I'm all for a thought-provoking, intellectual movie but I also need to be entertained! Great acting performances by Adams and Streep but the wrong part for Hoffman's considerable acting talents!

1. Shanley turns out to have dismayingly few original cinematic notions to back up the basic did-he-or-didn't-he hook in his study of conviction and compassion.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Doubt stirs up a lot of stormy theatrical weather, but the stolid transfer from stage to screen does Shanley's play no favors.
    Streep can do anything. She is, of course, wasted on this elephantine fable; if only Doubt had been made in 1964, shot by Roger Corman over a long weekend, and retitled "Spawn of the Devil Witch" or "Blood Wimple," all would have been forgiven