8.9

1. Mar 24, 2014
    Dr. Strangelove continues to prove to me why Stanley Kubrick is worthy of the praise heaped upon him. On the surface, this one is absolutely hilarious. There are numerous scenes that have you laughing out loud, especially ones with Peter Sellers and/or George Scott. Luckily, Sellers plays three roles so we get to see a lot of him and he really helped put this one over the top for me. It is amazing to me that this one is still a riot considering that it was released 50 years ago, but it goes to show that good films transcend time and this one fits the bill completely. In addition to being funny, it is a great political thriller as we watch everything unfold in the film. The ending song as the film wraps up was also a phenomenal choice and was a perfect compliment to the things going on on screen. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    I don't think I've seen a satire made exactly for its time, and becoming a critically lauded success. The cinematography, acting, script, and underlying themes, all in total, makes for the one of the smartest, and oddly blackest of black comedies. Stanley Kubrick is, in my personal opinion, the greatest filmmaker of the late 20th century.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    kubrick's most important and (in my opinion) most enjoyable film. Was, and maybe still is, years ahead of its time. hilarious and unmatched dark comedy (closest runner up is Fargo).
  4. Sep 25, 2013
    This is the Kubrick film I've seen the most, about several times in a short amount of time. So it's hard to give a really positive review when you've seen it a lot. All I can say is this. In my opinion it's not one of the funniest comedies of all time but I agree it's one of the greatest. This is one of the shortest Kubrick films and probably the most casual to watch which I like. There is a lot of dialogue but it gets pretty entertaining in the second half of the film. And there are a couple of really funny scenes; my highlight is the one where the President is on the phone trying to tell the Russian leader that American planes are going to bomb Russia. And what makes it great also is the comment it makes. This is one of THE cold war films. All the paranoia and suspicion and madness. The ending was the right way to end the film. It should be part of your bucket list of films to watch. Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    A film that simply doesn't age, almost 50 years after its release, Dr. Strangelove is still considered to be the greatest comedy of all time and one of the all time best films, it takes the very serious and historic setting of the Cold War and manages to make it hilarious, not through the actions, but through the characters that are carrying out these actions, Peter Sellers plays three roles in this film, and each of these roles is as side-splitting as the next. But perhaps his best of the three is the titular character Dr. Strangelove, a former Nazi scientist who aides the current President of the United States, Merkin Muffley (also played by Sellers) on the basis of the film, where a crazed general (George C. Scott) initiates a first stike nuclear attack on the Soviet Union, something which everyone else is now attempting to prevent as this will mean nuclear annihilation.
    The simplicity of the comedy in Dr. Strangelove is visible from the beginning, it isn't a complex plot of drawn out jokes and cringeworthy gags, but the expressions, motions and general dialogue of the characters that truly make it a special film, it doesn't have spectacular special effects nor does it have visually striking sets, but its simplicity is its greatest weapons, because all it needs is the correct characters and you have a winner, the easiest way to make people laugh is turning a serious situation on its head which really shouldn't be funny, but human nature wins out over morals.
    Its ironic that a film like this should be so highly praised, but yet probably wouldn't last in todays current climate of happy endings and learnt lessons, we have a very pure and a very real outcome of what the film sets out to do, director and writer Stanley Kubrick proves that he was one of the most iconic and inspirational filmmakers of all time by turning his hand to a comedy, especially with a subject so fresh at the time of filming. He proves that laughter can be found in the most unlikely of places, especially when we have a very character driven story which throws perspective after perspective, we see a more subdued side when we are in the of the B52s, yet in the infamous 'War Room' we have much more insanity laced and lighter atmosphere.
    Dr. Strangelove is a true timeless classic and a fantastic film, it pushed the boundaries of what was funny and what was satire, and came out throwing all the punches, equalling to a dazzling display of excellent performances and some of the funniest moments and quotes to come out of the cinema.
  6. May 26, 2013
    This and "Oceans Eleven" easily takes the title of best comedy film. And this comedy is still surprisingly relevant even today. Utterly one of the best films I have ever seen. This will go down in history as the best satire ever created.
  7. Mar 4, 2013
    According to Morrissey’s recent manifestation “more gay people, more peaceful the world”, war is the malicious ramification of heterosexual men’s urge to kill their peers (I’m paraphrasing here), which tallies germanely with this Kubrick’s black war satire. Under the cold war backdrop, a rogue nuclear attack to Soviet Union commenced by a fervid anti-communist USA general, which would (irrevocably) launch a doomsday machine (a Soviet Union’s ultimate self-destructive nuclear contraption), and would annihilate all the human beings on the earth. It may sounds ridiculous and far-fetched by the mass, Kubrick’s masterful endeavor has overcome the detached accessibility of the warfare lingoes and the exclusivity of the decision-makers’ political impasse to implement a stranger-than-fiction satire which grants a considerable closeness to its audience with ease. Running within 100 minutes, the film slickly unreels its storyline with great force of dark humor which imbues parodic and even cartoonish idiosyncrasies to the permeating machismo in the air. Peter Sellers’ three-faceted versatility, George C. Scott’s Communism-slamming extravaganza and Sterling Hayden’s trigger-happy paranoia plus Slim Pickens’ cowboy hat, the ensemble cast owns their respective frantic glory within a compacted steak of time, umpteen gags and mockeries can be savored ad infinitum, Sellers’British accent (as Group Captain) when confronting Sterling’s General Rippers is unimpeachably spontaneous, Keenan Wynn’s coca-cola joke is pertinently deadpan serious and Sterling’s conspiracy theory about water fluoridation and the fearful deprivation of life essence during a sexual intercourse (the man just cannot face his natural aging mechanism of the body) are plainly golden ideas, outlandish but vividly rib-tickling, and astringently self-reflective.

Kubrick’s trademark set design which would prevail in his later color features has not fully exploited this black-and-white war farce, and the (not-too-obvious) misogyny and chauvinism overtone does impede the sensitive nerves a bit, nevertheless, it is not my favorite Kubrick’s film, but it is an outstanding comedy which I presume can stay untainted by numerous re-watches, for me the first round is more than gratifying and since my generally inert resistance towards war-related films, a second round may take some time despite of its overall peerlessness.
  8. Feb 17, 2013
    Peter Sellers is definately the funniest actor ever. This movie shows us why. And due to the path our society has taken, its criticism may never stop being modern.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Certainly one of the best comedies i have ever seen. The great thing about it, is that it's more than a comedy.It gives you an insight into the military way of thinking and into human nature in general, via sarcasm. Brilliant!
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    Stanley Kurbrick's brillant satire on the cold war is widely considered one of the funniest movies in cinematic history. A lone general gone mad gives the green light launching an A-Bomb attack on Russia, and the President now (Sellers) must pull out all the stops to prevent this. This dark comedy is shot entirely in black and white with terrific production design. Astutely, Kubrick focuses on the actual nuclear event in itself, thus removing the issues of foreign politics. The films message simply put its this; man is not at the mercey of machines,but it in fact it's just the opposite. Petter Sellers is sensational playing several roles and the film has stood the test of time remaining undated. Expand
  11. Jul 9, 2012
    I'm loathe to give anything a ten as you can always go better... but this is up there. Unmatched and endlessly quotable, "Gentlemen you can't fight in here..." Watch and learn.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    An uncompromising insight into the us versus them Cold War mentality, its impact strengthened by Kubrick's clever satire. The movie contains three different but equally satisfying stories that examine war on a personal and political level. This is an intelligent and bold film that highlights the paranoia and ridiculousness of the time.
  13. Jan 27, 2012
    A film that is a true masterpiece. It has it all; comedy,suspense and a well told story. The film truly shows how silly people in goverment can be. Not trying to say this is what actually happened during the cold war although I do have a suspicion. Overall an unbelievable film which could never be created today because of people's longing of a happy ending.
  14. Nov 22, 2011
    This is what i called i great black humor movie, if i can bring some person from dead that would be Stanley Kubrick, this movie show that he was a **** genius , mixing drama and humor in such a perfect way, i must give it 10 because i can not give it a 100
  15. Nov 16, 2011
    You really can't rave too much about Kubric's black comedy. After all these years, it still resonates both comically and politically. Recently, I've been showing my Ukranian girlfriend my favorite movies. Some of my selections haven't held up as well as others (i.e. National Lampoon's Vacation). Dr. Strangelove was as fresh as the first time that I viewed it...30 years ago. The only negative thing that I learned was that the Soviet ambassador's (Alexei de Sadeski) Russian wasn't authentic. On the positive side, he (Sadeski) realized that Soviet Premier Dimitri Kisov was drunk because Kisov ordered Sadeski to kill the president (in Russian). If you enjoy black comedies, then you must see this masterpiece. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Kubrickâ Expand
  17. Sep 7, 2011
    This movie might be a little overrated by today's standards, but it is still very enjoyable. It has the perfect mixture of smart and idiotic humor. The writing is brilliant. The acting is amazing, especially that of Sellers. It really is a must see.
  18. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb is a war thriller, turned into a satire of the absurdity of the cold war and one of cinemas greatest dark comedies. The film depicts an unbalanced General Jack D. Ripper, who has sent his squadron of B-52 bombers to attack their designated targets inside Russia, having forged orders from Washington. Once the government finds out, they convene to figure out how to stop the General and return the bombers from of enemy territory. If they do not succeed, they are faced with the terrible power of the Doomsday Device. A weapon that's soul purpose is mutually assured destruction. I could see that as a plausible thriller. Instead, Kubrik took the film another direction saying, "After all, what could be more absurd than the very idea of two mega powers willing to wipe out all human life because of an accident, spiced up by political differences that will seem as meaningless to people a hundred years from now as the theological conflicts of the Middle Ages appear to us today." Perhaps what is darkest about this comedy is just how plausible it was becoming in it's day. Made in 1964, the country was tense and in mourning. Only 2 years previously, the United States had looked down the barrel of total nuclear commitment during the Cuban Missile Crisis. And it was still reeling over the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The only certainty was that nothing was certain. What began as fanciful musing became a question of: "What if"? The film was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Actor for Peter Sellers. Peter Sellers gives an impressive performance as not only one character, but as three: British officer Mandrake, Predsident Muffly, and Dr. Strangelove. His performance is so well done that the casual movie goer would most likely never know he plays all three parts. If you are into Kubrik, dark comedies, or just good cinema then check this out. Expand
  19. Aug 31, 2011
    Another Fantastic Movie of Stanley Kubrick, Peter Sellers did a great job with all of his characters, especially Dr. strangelove, the ending scene was very interesting and original. I like it very much, it's my favourite movie of stanley kubrick.
  20. Jun 29, 2011
    Kubrick has never had a problem dazzling his audience or at least making them wince, but Dr. Strangelove shows the director in strange form. Who knew the Cold War could be this hilarious? The always fantastic performances by Peter Sellers are worth it alone (and you get three of them). Along with George C. Scott, this is truly an unforgettable film. If you aren't laughing than greater work is needed. The greatest truths are in comedy. Expand
  21. Jun 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dr Strangelove is regarded as being the 14th greatest movie of all time (to see my IMDb list depicting it go to http://www.imdb.com/list/jcBWwJSOLX8/ ) It is regarded as such for its groundbreaking intitiative and its comedic senses. When the bomb went off at the end and "We'll Meet Again Some Sunny Day" started playing I laughed out loud. Love the bomb everybody. Love. The. Bomb. Expand
  22. Jun 17, 2011
    People usually overlook how funny Kubrick films are, but Dr. Strangelove, The Killing, Barry Lyndon and Full Metal Jacket are all rich in timeless comedy, dark as that comedy might be.
  23. Jun 17, 2011
    Dr. Strangelove is very simply one of the best films ever made. It easily takes the title of best comedy film. Wickedly smart and satirical, Dr. Strangelove still very much applies to the present day situation, 47 years later. Superbly acted, well written, and directed by the great Kubrick, Strangelove delivers everything you could want from a movie: humor, drama, history, and a main character with Alien Hand Syndrome. No matter what kind of movies you like, Dr. Strangelove is for you. Expand
  24. Mar 1, 2011
    This is my #1 movie of all time. Funniest movie there is. It was a spoof on another movie which actually makes it funnier. During one of Dr. Strangelove's speeches an actor in the background can barely contain himself. Slim Pickens had me laughing like anything. Peter Sellers plays three parts, Strangelove, the President and the English Officer. George C. Scott was incredibly funny. Each character is a gem. Expand
  25. Mar 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There has never been a funnier movie. I can't tell you how many times I have watched this. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens were all genius and all the supporting actors were perfect. "I've never seen such behavior in the war room." One of the funniest lines in the movie. One of the funniest scenes is Slim Pickens riding the missile. Although it is a black comedy it is not gross or depressing. Expand
  26. Dec 16, 2010
    Great performances.. great story.... great humor... great directing.... top 10 for me

*high point* Sterling Haydens performance - he was so spot on and how he could deliver that ridiculous (in the best way) dialog that way was amazing
  27. Sep 1, 2010
    Stanley Kubrick's black comedy about cold war paranoia.
    Peter Sellars is outstanding (I'm not a big fan) although mainly for President Muffley & Cpt Mandrake rather than Strangelove himself.
    The rest of the cast ham it up quite well but didn't think it was as funny as a lot of people make out.
  28. Aug 23, 2010
    Feels like 2 movies in 1, the segments on the plane and in the air force base are largely solemn and serious, the War room however is comical and insane. But this works well as it conveys what the film is about, the lunacy of politicians and the effects of beaurocracy. Dr Strangelove himself only appears in the latter half of the film but god does Peter Sellers do a good job! In all 3 of his roles. It's a pity everyone knows the ending though because it's been done to death in popular culture (Along with the famous line "Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!" one of the funniest in history. However I will say the 5 minutes before the famous segment with major Kong is i think one of the best 5 minutes in cinematic history, especially with the countdown, of sorts. It is truly one of the most tense few minutes I've ever seen and the acting is brilliant! The look on their faces as they approach the target in almost too real. It deserves all of the praise it gets without doubt! Peter Sellers, you are one of the greats! Along of course with Kubrick Expand
  29. Aug 16, 2010
    A Hollywood classic, Kubrick is a movie mastermind there is so many redeeming qualities in this movie. The acting was above par and There is no other movie out there that takes itself so serious but not so serious at the same time, there is a lot of comedic values in here strung over a very serious plot, It's hard to tell exactly what it is. This movie will have you in awe one second and you will laugh the next. I have never seen anything like it and I doubt I ever will again. One of my favorite movies of all time. Expand

A masterpiece... The genius of Dr. Strangelove is that it's possible to laugh -- and laugh hard -- while still recognizing the intelligence and insight behind the humor.
  2. Reviewed by: Bosley Crowther
    The ultimate touch of ghoulish humor is when we see the bomb actually going off, dropped on some point in Russia, and a jazzy sound track comes in with a cheerful melodic rendition of "We'll Meet Again Some Sunny Day." Somehow, to me, it isn't funny. It is malefic and sick.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The film is a model of barely controlled hysteria in which the absurdity of hypermasculine Cold War posturing becomes devastatingly funny--and at the same time nightmarishly frightening in its accuracy.