6.0

1. Jan 12, 2014
    A mediocre movie that pulls all of the same strings of bad, churned out American horror movies.

After seeing this movie featured on several lists of top horror movies, I figured this might be the next 'The Orphan' on a trend to change my mind about Hollywood and horror.

Instead what I got was cliches about 'foreign occult", mediums that for some reason, speak in Spanish, endless hot
    and cold moments trying to build suspense before breaking off into nothing, and of course, the flat, "twist" ending, which was predictable to me (always check the most important things twice, especially when they're wrapped up).

I'm more surprised by the positive ratings that this mediocre flick has received, though this may owe itself in no small part to the gradual slip of this industry, which thankfully I have missed.
  2. Aug 14, 2013
    How can any reasonable human being give this movie a good rating? I abhorred every second of Drag Me to Hell and despite admitting that it wasn’t badly made in terms of set design, cinematography, or editing, for example, it suffers from a director who can’t seem to decide if he wants to make a parody on horror movies or an actual horror movie and ends up making one of the hugest pieces of in recent years (I could, in fact, re-use all of these words when writing a review for The Cabin in the Woods, another outrageously overrated rubbish). Limiting himself to a PG-13 rating, Raimi at least spares the audience more atrociously surrealistic CGI gore effects, but the 3rd highest as well as lowest of MPAA classifications still leaves space for idiotic dialogs, shameless copying from other horror flicks, and blatant predictability. I’m not saying that I wasn’t frightened by parts of it, yet for most of the time, I was offended and disgusted by this ghastly made movie. Critics that call it ironic or even hilarious just have to be paid by Universal Pictures since there is no other valid explanation for entitling a movie ‘ironic’ when it obviously isn’t aware of how stupid it is. And now don’t come to me with “it’s only for the purpose of entertainment” besides all of that it’s still a dull and dreary movie that is laden with tons of clichés. Drag Me to Hell? Drag me out of the cinema! Expand
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't understand why critics liked this movie. It's awful. It is really predictable, the talking ship and the gyspsy lady are ridicously hillarious and I'm not sure if this film was comedy or horror movie. Do a favour to you selfs, don't watch that film 4/10 for the actors which were ok Expand
  4. May 25, 2013
    I gave up on this movie 1 hour in.. Horribly boring and predictable movie. Really one of the worst movies i have ever seen. Not a single scary moment, just a ridiculous amount of pathetic attempts.. And really? A goat that yells out Really?... :S This movie is pure crap. The lead actress was not convincing at all. I want my hour back...
  5. Mar 18, 2013
    This movie could only scare me if I was 5 years old, and they would force me to watch this movie in a forest at midnight. The problem is that I am an adult, thus this movie just stinks to me. Bad story, no tension etc... Avoid it...
  6. Feb 9, 2013
    I cant believe that anyone could rate it more than 3 but it seems that critics watch it from other dimensions this is one of worst movie that I ever see and it make worse that it 's from one of my favorite directors
  7. Aug 27, 2012
    I am truely in disarray at what the critics thought was so great about this film. It was the furthest thing from scary, and the so called funny moments where unrecognizable. Boring and pretty stupid overall.
  8. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie was quiet weird. It started off okay but in the final half and hour i don't know what happened. The movie went from high standard to worse than a syfy movie. The main character is completely unrealistic in her response to what is going on. Drag me to hell is complete crap and the movie made me wishing i was being dragged to hell while watching this so called horror film.
  9. Mar 23, 2012
    This movie was so disgustingly bad that I had to create an account just to express the hate that grew throughout the movie. After reading what other critic said about this movie I had gained somewhat high expectations, what was left of them drowned in the useless **** ending that any 3 year old could have guessed from watching 3 seconds of that ****

I feel that this movie raped my life -
    I want my time back. Expand
  10. Mar 18, 2012
    I saw this movie when it came out, I expected it to be some what scary but i laughed at the parts where it was suppose to be scary. The things in this movie are just dumb. I watched this movie with a friend of mine at night at laughed the entire movie. The acting is bad, the lines are cheesy,and the plot is even more dumb. At one part she's getting attacked and for some reason she has an anvil tied to a string above the spot where her attacker is, and just happens to have an ice skate next to the rope. The end is the worst part of all. Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2012
    I truly love horror movies. I love many of them, The Shining, Paranormal Activity, Saw, The Sixth Sense, Signs, Silence of the Lambs, ALL instant classics. When I heard about Drag Me To Hell I was super excited, rarely is there a horror movie with such great reviews. When I finally watched it, I was disappointed to say the least. This movie is so ridiculously over rated and not scary it hurt me to watch. I am baffled at how reviewers can speak so highly of it. It's truly one of the worst films I've ever seen, no part of it was good, the plot was mediocre, the 'intense' scenes weren't even mildly enjoyable, and the ending was abominable. As I read the other positive reviews I feel as if the reviewers and I watched two different films. Do yourself a favor and avoid this movie at all costs unless you are extremely easily scared, or you just want something to make fun of for 90 minutes. Expand
  12. Jan 17, 2012
    It's a bad movie. Not in a good Sam Raimi way either. It is just boring and not serious scary or funny scary. It's an hour and 39 minutes long but feels a good 40 minutes longer. Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Sam Raimi and a crazy old gypsy woman....how did this go wrong.
  13. Nov 30, 2011
    i cant believe this is critic acclaimed !!!first of all flying handkerchief ,possessed guy dancing around the table,talking goat,and so called cheap gross COMEDY is seriously not scary,waste of time and the lamest movie i've ever seen ever.this is the worst acclaimed movie ..they even call the ending a surprise and seriously just spell the movie and just be done with it.the only surprise and scary is how the rating is so high. Expand
  14. Jul 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really just disgusting and that's all that can be said about this horrible flick. The opening scene was bad, and usually, a movie doesn't get any better after that. The whole premise is fairly ridiculous to start out with. The main character obviously is a good person, why would she be cursed ? She had no control over the situation the old woman was in, and she was not responsible. The entire film is filled with senseless dialogue and actions that don't make any sense. It could be a comedy, a bad one, something like 'Revenge of the repossessed homeowner'... Expand
  15. Jul 22, 2011
    Kinda weird in my case to rate a negative score to a positive movie, anyway, expecting something scary isn't the right thing in here. Drag me too hell is stupid, and idiotically funny, i felt that it wasn't taking the main theme seriously, while it does some creepy sound effects, it isn't entertaining or tense as other Horror movies.
  16. Nov 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the only movie I have ever shut off half way through. It was the cheesiest, campiest, worst acted and laughably directed pile of fecal matter of a film I have ever had the misfortune of encountering. Wow - I cant believe people actually liked this awful excuse for a film. It makes me want to scream when characters act ridiculously to events that befall them. Spoiler Alert: Like Lohman's character the day after being viciously gummed and stabbing an old lady in the neck... "Maybe I should have given her an extension on that loan..." WHAT??? You stabbed an old witch in the neck!!!! Are you kidding me? The writers should have listen to this trash on continuous playback for all eternity. I can't imagine a worse hell. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2010
    This f*****g movie is full of s**t i hate it, it's disgusting, I usually like horror movies but this one goes to far, it's awful, i have never given a movie this bad a review.
  18. Sep 26, 2010
    I will give this movie and the positive reviews the benefit of the doubt and assume it was much better in theatres. However, I watched it on HBO and it was frustratingly bad. The dialogue was superficial, seemingly written just to string together the story in between the screaming and supernatural events throughout. From the moment the the old women appears on screen in that trying-too-hard-to-be-creepy garb, I predicted that she was going to curse the main character. Everything that happens to the main character after that is just confusing and random. Many of the disturbances that plague the main character are, of course, not pleasant, you would not want them to happen to you. BUT finding a scarf in your throat and having to pull it out is not that terrifying. This and many other similar things happen just as fillers.

The pace is ridiculous. The beginning is slow and drawn out yet it fails to establish an eerie vibe or build any suspense. When the random disturbances really start, they are almost non-stop until right before the ending. It is such overkill.

The CGI effects are too cheap and unrealistic to be scary but not obviously cheesy enough to be funny. Whether it was meant to be funny/ cheesy or realistic/ scary, it did not look intentional. The girl is being taunted by a cartoon shadow. Seriously.

The characters were total idiots with no substance. There is some random back story for the main character thrown in, more as a side note, toward the middle of the movie but it is irrelevant because that information is never really brought up again. She goes from young soft-spoken girl in business attire to flighty and confused to screeching one liners like "That's yours **** and I don't believe any of it. The boyfriend character is just there to react to the girl's changing behavior by brushing it off until he finally sees something himself and is proven wrong. Again, very original. I could go on and on. Seriously, it was insulting.
  19. Aug 19, 2010
    Bank worker eyes Assistant Manager promotion, old woman comes in bank & begs not to be evicted, computer says no, old woman puts curse on bank worker, gets harebrained & farcical.
    Sam Raimi with his usual mix of comedy/horror but definitely without the charm that the Evil Dead films had.
    Cliched characters & plot, twist that you can see coming & ends up being more annoying than fun.
    The
    goat was pretty cool though. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Chris Hewitt
    Thrilling and often hilarious, it’s good to see one of Hollywood’s most inventive directors fully reinvigorated. On this form, Spider-Man 4 should be a belter.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    The picture is single-mindedly devoted to pushing the audience's buttons, and who better than Raimi to do the honors?
  3. Raimi's still very much up to his old tricks, retaining that deliriously over-the-top brand of Grand Guignol horror that he had abandoned by the mid-'90s in pursuit of other genres.