3.0

1. Sep 19, 2011
    "Dragonball: Evolution" is a movie not for kids, but for kindergartners. Its a film you definitely want to skip and just watch the anime (the anime's way better than this crap).
  2. Dec 15, 2011
    I don't think this film could appeal to anyone. It destroys the story (and general greatness) of the manga and anime series (Goku as a high-schooler who is too nervous to talk to girls, why?) too much to even be viewed as funny bad for fans of dragonball. It's too bad for kids, seriously, my younger brother, who is the target age for the film didn't like it. It will annoy anybody who evenI don't think this film could appeal to anyone. It destroys the story (and general greatness) of the manga and anime series (Goku as a high-schooler who is too nervous to talk to girls, why?) too much to even be viewed as funny bad for fans of dragonball. It's too bad for kids, seriously, my younger brother, who is the target age for the film didn't like it. It will annoy anybody who even tries to watch it. I Can't fathom what brought the creators to get the license for a much-loved franchise and to completely kill anything that was good about it in a terrible film. Dragonball could make a good film, but this is most definitely NOT it. Why, just why? Expand
  3. May 27, 2012
    an insult to Akira Toriyama, the mangas and the animated series. i question whether they writers and directors even read the mangas. normally i go easy on movies like this that are intended as just fun, but this movie fails completely. awful acting,directing and writing. do not watch this movie, especially is you're a fan of the original material (it will just make you madder, like it did me).
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    I was one of the lucky ones that only saw one ad of the movie, but didn't have time to go to theaters to watch it. However, there was no escape when it was played as one of those movies they show on international airplane flights.

I will tell this right now: This movie is not only the worst adaptation of all time, but it's also one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. The plot is a hacking piece of horsecrap. Nothing but stolen cliches, plotholes, and few characters (not to mention that these characters don't even try to be adapted from the original sorce, neither appearance or personality). But the action makes up for it, right? WRONG! The fighting scenes are boring and choreographed, and the "energy" effects are nothing more than re-colored wind-effects. They even call it "airbending" in order to cover their own incompetence. The acting is also terrible. I would elaborate, but merely writing this review is throwing me into a torrent of rage and hate. To think that something of THIS terrible quality can be released in THIS day and age is a complete insult to humanity, and only proves that 20th Century Fox only dwelves into making money by rehashing icons of previous generations. **** you, Hollywood. Just **** you. The only reason it even has a single point is because it actually accomplishes BEING A MOVIE! Of course, a half-point would definetely be more accurate.
  5. Dec 11, 2012
    Never in my life have a once watched a movie that has ruined my childhood more than this movie, it's embarrasing enough that Chow Yun Fat and Ernie Hudson are in this abonation alone more than anything else. There needs to be an angry mob that goes into every store that sells DVD's an Blu-Rays and destroy all the copies of this film! Horrible piece of trash
  6. Nov 30, 2011
    One of the worst movies Ive watched. The characters arent the same as the manga or anime. The plot blows. The ending was one of the worst their budget must have been what 5 dollars? The special effects were soem of the worst
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    Dragon ball evolution is a 2009 film directed by James Wong and inspired by the manga by Akira Toriyama. Little Lord two thousand years ago, during a solar eclipse, tried to conquer the earth, but a group of monks managed to imprison him thanks to Mafuuba. Now Piccolo is back and killed Son Gohan and it's up to her grandson Goku defeat and prevent it from Namek to find the Dragon Balls.Dragon ball evolution is a 2009 film directed by James Wong and inspired by the manga by Akira Toriyama. Little Lord two thousand years ago, during a solar eclipse, tried to conquer the earth, but a group of monks managed to imprison him thanks to Mafuuba. Now Piccolo is back and killed Son Gohan and it's up to her grandson Goku defeat and prevent it from Namek to find the Dragon Balls. The film, although it is seen as a film in its own right and not as inspired by the manga, it really bad. If you take it as a film based on the manga there is nothing that seems like the names. The characters were very badly and do not have any characteristics equal to those of the manga (aside from something Son Gohan) as well as the bad, little has been done wrong, especially the trick (there are so many things to list that not resemble the manga as, for example, the fact that Goku goes to high school). If you take it as a film in its own right you can see that the plot is very trivial, obvious and done in a hurry, the characters do not have their own psychology, there are some really embarrassing moments in the film and the special effects are made bad. A film really be avoided, fan or not. Expand
  8. Oct 17, 2010
    Loved the cartoon and used to race home to see it on Cartoon Network some 10 years ago, but this is a travesty. It's so dumb and sad to see this movie made this way. Thanks for trying to kill it.
  9. Jan 3, 2011
    ive seen every episode of DBZ and just about every episode of DB . i knew from past experiances this film was most likely gonna suck but i tried to keep a open mind thinking there will be some cool redeaming factors atleast that will maybe make it ok. well wow i suprised how this movie got pretty much every thing wrong . the only thing that resembles the DB anime is the names of theive seen every episode of DBZ and just about every episode of DB . i knew from past experiances this film was most likely gonna suck but i tried to keep a open mind thinking there will be some cool redeaming factors atleast that will maybe make it ok. well wow i suprised how this movie got pretty much every thing wrong . the only thing that resembles the DB anime is the names of the charicters and thats it. every thing els is eather wrong or badly badle very badly done. piccalo and guko use to be teamed up ... WTF!!! the action is lame and the special effects look like a B movie or some thing off of the power rangers tv show. one of the worst takes ive ever seen on any thing be it game , comic , cartoon , or anime. if your are a DBZ fan dont ever ever ever see this film. Expand
  10. Jan 1, 2011
    I know my review is late but I just have to say how much I hate this movie. I'm a huge fan of the series and I've never seen such disrespect for core material. It's like the writer looked on a box cover and wrote an entire movie on that. The director must have known even less about the series and just shot the scenes by ear. As for the good, Goku has a nice fight scene outside a party.I know my review is late but I just have to say how much I hate this movie. I'm a huge fan of the series and I've never seen such disrespect for core material. It's like the writer looked on a box cover and wrote an entire movie on that. The director must have known even less about the series and just shot the scenes by ear. As for the good, Goku has a nice fight scene outside a party. That's it. The rest is just an hour and 30 minutes of trash. Expand
  11. Feb 22, 2011
    I can't even understand why the director and producers ever thought it would work, this one is absolutely horrible. Like many other popular comic books and cartoons, the story of Dragon Ball could have been made into a good movie, although it is childish, violent, weird, and never taking itself too seriously; and that's exactly why it is so hard to adapt it into the big screen. It is aI can't even understand why the director and producers ever thought it would work, this one is absolutely horrible. Like many other popular comic books and cartoons, the story of Dragon Ball could have been made into a good movie, although it is childish, violent, weird, and never taking itself too seriously; and that's exactly why it is so hard to adapt it into the big screen. It is a work that should have been made by a director who is good enough to appreciate what the original has to offer, someone who would know how to adapt this kind of weird genre into a live-action film (a good result for a movie who did it right â Expand
  12. May 28, 2012
    Its somewhat enjoyable and if you are familiar with any of the dragonball shows, you'll probably feel the nastalgia. Its way better than The Last Airbender.
  13. Mar 28, 2012
    Man this film is bad. of what I've heard, it's not really true to the manga and anime at all (it doesn't seem it anyway). It's an awful film. the best things i can think of are that it has kind of okay special effects and a couple of moments are more like 5/10. It has awful acting, rubbish action, the actors don't look anything like the characters the portray, pointless and terrible plotMan this film is bad. of what I've heard, it's not really true to the manga and anime at all (it doesn't seem it anyway). It's an awful film. the best things i can think of are that it has kind of okay special effects and a couple of moments are more like 5/10. It has awful acting, rubbish action, the actors don't look anything like the characters the portray, pointless and terrible plot twists, and extremely cheesy moments! this film is a melted cheese sandwich in cheesy bread (the cheese that it's got in it really doesn't taste nice at all). Expand
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    this movie was **** i mean they killed the dragon ball franchises with what nothing showing this movie had so many plot whole and so many not great actors this whole movie **** piccolo does not controller the ape nobody could and does it not require sayian tail transform into one huge ape.

i mean this how movie **** up
  15. May 9, 2012
    Making a live action dragonball movie was a ridiculous idea to begin with. How the hell could they expect it to be any good? Think of all the great humor, action, emotion, dialog, and rich story that was crammed into every 20 minute episode. Think of how difficult, expensive, and time-consuming the show was to create. And that was just animated!

A decent live-action DB movie would need

A decent live-action DB movie would need the original writers and probably take a decade to produce. Not to mention that the amount of capital needed to create it is inconceivable.

Aside from all that, if someone told me that the people responsible for this movie did an "okay" job with the resources they had, I would laugh until I threw up. Everything that made Dragonball the wildly entertaining series that we all loved was excluded from this movie. The characters differed from the originals in every way. The original Goku was a playful, honorable, child-like(yet god-like) , warrior/hero. This Goku is a brown-haired, blue-eyed, scrawny white kid who talks and behaves nothing like the original. The series was filled with diverse characters and a deep storyline. This movie is empty and half-assed. A pathetic imitation.
  16. Sep 10, 2013
    If they ever make a One Piece or any other live-action film based off an anime, hands off I will smack every producer that ever thought that was a good idea. This movie isn't worth the trouble of paying for.
  17. Jun 12, 2013
    Good lord, if you ant to watch a movie that just pisses all over it's source material, here you go. I remember wanting to watch this when I was younger; better to say when it came out on "on demand", I had to ask my mom if I could buy it to watch it. I regret that decision to this day. So what do you get with this? No really, what do you honestly get from watching this? Nothing! All thisGood lord, if you ant to watch a movie that just pisses all over it's source material, here you go. I remember wanting to watch this when I was younger; better to say when it came out on "on demand", I had to ask my mom if I could buy it to watch it. I regret that decision to this day. So what do you get with this? No really, what do you honestly get from watching this? Nothing! All this does is make a beloved hero become like any typical kid at high school. Right off the bat your messing things up because Goku doesn't go to school, one of his character traits was that he didn't get an education, and that's why we loved him; one of the many reasons of course. The characters all around don't feel like who they should be; it's been a while since I've seen this, and I prefer to leave it as is. What I do remember is that Piccolo looks really stupid in this, and that's really bad compared to what he is in the show. I know he's an alien here and there, but the way they did it here was so wrong, I don't see martial arts villain, I see a goddamn alien from a bad movie. Finally the ape scene, this was just so pathetic. It might have been better if he was actually the size they were suppose to be, but I doubt that would even save this. PLus, the ending about piccolo still being alive, we know this isn't going anywhere, and to see such a desperate attempt at a sequel is so pitiful. In the end I still hate this movie; heck back then I had this sense of: this doesn't make sense and I'm not having fun, and this is the big reason why anime should stay anime. Expand
  18. Mar 14, 2014
    Absolutely horrible. The worst film I have ever seen. Outside of the characters names, it doesn't even stay close the the source material. And even when it tries to put it's own spin on something, if fails spectacularly. Stay away from it at all costs, and if you're a fan of Dragon Ball then burn every single copy you come across.
  19. May 15, 2014
    Ban this movie. No wonder why Akira Toriyama doesn't wan't Hollywood to adapt another DBZ movie. Everything about this movie is terrible, this is truly an insult to entire DBZ universe and it's fans. It looks nothing like a Dragon Ball.
  20. Feb 18, 2011
    If you are in your early twenties hoping for some epic case of nostalgia -reminisce of those wasted nights of youth spent watching a dozen DBZ episodes, of course with Japanese subs- this isn't the movie for you.

If you are looking for a fun action movie to kill time, take a look. But really, nothing special here.
  21. Jul 7, 2011
    A disgrace in all calibers for a DBZ fan , it broke my heart and it will broke the heart for every single one that read this and that is a fan of this anime. Just came from nowhere to be hidden in the garbage. Stand aside people.
  22. May 18, 2012
    I've started this movie about 4 times but every time I turn it off because I fall asleep or lose interest. What a shame on the series. Stick to the anime. But set your expectations for this film at 0 and you might actually appreciate it a bit. I give it a 4/10 because I see it as an ode to the series. Still, don't watch it if you aren't a dragonball fan
  23. Nov 10, 2014
    Imagine someone taking your childhood and throwing it on the fire and slowly watch it burn as the movie goes along. I just felt bad watching this movie. How did they thought about this? No beams just hand farts of magic.
  24. Jul 9, 2014
    God, I hate this Movie.

God, I hate this Movie.

This "Film" is easily my pick for the worst film of all time. By it's own merit alone, it's just a generic, poorly made action film. BUT, the problem is it's source material. Now, I grew up watching the Dragon Ball franchise, and was a big fan of the show, and I still am. However, I do understand it's not perfect. Some of the writing is stilted, the filler episodes tend to drag, and the action takes forever to start. However, the show still has an underlying charm to it that makes it accessible to this day, and still makes it feel timeless, and has lasted almost three generations.

However, This "THING" has nothing of that.

This movie captures none of the charm, scale, and creativity of the original series. It is a giant spit in the eye to Akira Toriyama and all fans. This is the absolute worst live action remake of anything I've ever seen. The Plot is a paper thin carbon copy of the series, without the sustenance the original offered. The Characters are all either stereotypes of the characters, boring, dull, or even worse, completely misrepresented. The pacing is insipid, even worse then the filler of the series, and goes nowhere. The setting is awful, completely contradicting the point of the world of the series. The Lore is awful, completely ruining core aspects of the Manga and Anime. The effects are laughable. They wouldn't pass for D-Movie Standards in their fakeness.

But the Absolute worst part is what it does. this movie destroys and makes a mockery of the original series, something held special in both childhood nostalgia, and in generations of people as a beloved show. This Movie completely trashes on the original, and therefore, is a direct insult to anyone who has ever watched it.

This is my pick for the Worst Movie of All Time
  25. Aug 12, 2014
    oh where to begin... this movie was so behind any manga to movie transition I ever saw...goku is not in this movie so don't look for him, I did not like the movie It has many issues as a movie standing by itself, I watched this movie with lowered expatiations as per family/friends advice... ... ... it didn't help me my childhood was spent watching the whole db and dbz story lines so I haveoh where to begin... this movie was so behind any manga to movie transition I ever saw...goku is not in this movie so don't look for him, I did not like the movie It has many issues as a movie standing by itself, I watched this movie with lowered expatiations as per family/friends advice... ... ... it didn't help me my childhood was spent watching the whole db and dbz story lines so I have a vary good idea what a db or dbz movie should be, I read the Shonen jump ad/interview on db evolution, it sounded quite promising, and after watching this movie I felt like that ad cheated me somehow...oh well upon finishing watching the movie I laughed at all the documentary/special behind the scenes cheesy stuff on the dvd, and not cause it is supposed to be funny ether, but because everyone being interviewed thinks this movie rocks, DUDE THIS MOVIE SO DOES NOT!!!, it does not rock, it does not even attempt to convey the characters personality from the original series... ... well okay to be fair piccolo was done okay...but I don't want to see okay in a db/dbz movie, I want to see dbz action, or at the least even db comedy. none of this is in this movie this movie reminds me of son of the mask ,while not as bad in the effects department as that movie, It is still the same let down I felt after watching that movie.
    I was also like thinking... who on earth picked Justin Chatwin he just has vary little acting talent to offer in this role, when he says "I'm Goku" you really don't believe him. Goku is supposed to be the savior of earth,pure of heart, he loves to fight, loves to eat...loves to eat a lot, loves to help others if he can etc.
    This dork in the movie, who brazenly claim is Goku has none of that, now to put this into words that db and dbz fans will understand, imagine Goku and young mischievous [slightly perverted] krillin fused permanently. and he is interested in girls in this movie no lies... which explains why they did not put a nimbus cloud in the movie, or maybe it was Hollywood's excuse not to add a nimbus cloud so they could pocket some of the money on this horrible stinking movie.
  26. Oct 19, 2014
    this movie is ranked number 1 on my worst films of all time it really sums up everything i hate in bad movies. terrible adaptions with no respect for the source material, terrible over reliance on special effects over story, and credible actors who should've taken another look at the script before saying yes

i hated this film taking one of my all time favourite series and turned it into

i hated this film taking one of my all time favourite series and turned it into one of the most terrible and generic martial art films that somehow forgot it was based on a famous manga and anime and instead rips off everything else

i haven't seen battle of the gods yet but hopefully it will resurrect some respect for the dragonball franchise

1. Reviewed by: Russell Edwards
    A popular Japanese manga series gets a pleasing if paint-by-numbers live-action makeover in Dragonball Evolution, which half-heartedly tries to keep the faith for its pubescent male fanbase.
    The film is crammed with treats for old-school "Dragonball" fans, from the inclusion of all these characters (who don't actually do much) to the moment when spiky-haired Goku dons his orange gi. For everyone else, this amounts to another seen-it-before, probably-willing-to-see-it-again distraction.
  3. Completely lacking in visual, narrative or stylistic coherence, the film also suffers from cheap-looking visual effects and poorly staged and edited action sequences that will not exactly please the fanboys.