8.3

1. Sep 26, 2012
    This is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, theThis is the best Shoot'em Up movie I've seen in a long time! It doesn't set out to do something other than give us a great action movie based on a great character. Lately action movies have taken to being preachy and have political undertones. This movie just puts good guys in a situation where they have to fight bad guys and they did it right. The action feels fresh and original, the pacing is fantastic; there's never a dull moment, and Urban is fantastic as the title character Dredd. If you love movies you owe it to yourself to see this movie, if we have any hope of another one of these movies being made then go see this GREAT action movie!!!!! Expand
  2. May 1, 2013
    This was a Judge Dredd film done right. The Stallone movie was an insult to the comics, this one actually managed to capture the spirit of the comics and the characters well. I really enjoyed it, and would love to see another one made.
  3. Oct 17, 2012
    Dredd is an exceptional film and very true to its origins. The satire is there, the black humor, the brutality. The economy of it all and the simplicity of the story only plays to its strengths. The final slo-mo scene is sublime, almost surreal and a beautiful ending to the film. And the score, just amazing. You immediately forget about expensive CGI since they nail the essence andDredd is an exceptional film and very true to its origins. The satire is there, the black humor, the brutality. The economy of it all and the simplicity of the story only plays to its strengths. The final slo-mo scene is sublime, almost surreal and a beautiful ending to the film. And the score, just amazing. You immediately forget about expensive CGI since they nail the essence and atmosphere of Dredd and MC-1 so well. But most of all the three leads are impressive. Urban, Thirlby and Headey are perfect in their respective roles. It's a brutal, yet hugely entertaining action film with a distinctly old school feel. 9/10. Expand
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    This is definitely destined to be a cult classic. The film is gritty yet beautiful. In HD it is outstanding. Worth the buy and definitely the rent. I loved it for what it was ... FUN.
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    Awesome movie, captures everything that I expect a dredd movie to have in it, I just hope that they make another movie with the 18 cert in it, way better than the Comedy that was released all those years ago with stalone in it.
  6. Jan 1, 2013
    I loved it,the action was plenty-some the acting was descent and the plot was ok,all in all a watchable movie as long as you prepare yourself for what it seemed a never ending sequence of cgi content.

I would put this movie above transformers but below Ironman which I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Limited expectations make this a good movie to watch,once.
  7. Dec 31, 2012
    I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.I have had the displeasure of living through bad adaptations since the late 70's. I have almost never seen a comics adaptation that was worth watching on the silver screen because good characters die there along with a bevy of bad useless cameos and the attempt to take 20-60 years worth of story arcs and put them in three acts in under 2 hours- usually including an origin story.

However, the dream of- simply take the established comic character and make the movie one adventure in the life of said character- has come to fruition in this movie. The acting is superb and unsettling with the askance visage of the villain. Dredd is played to his comic book perfection, or perhaps I would say some better than the stereotype version of himself he had become in later issues/graphic novels. Anderson is played in a very different way than her comic book counterpart and it isn't as a sex bomb psychic, but a fragile-seeming fractured innocent whose strength becomes clearly displayed in climactic ferocity towards the film's end.

The movie is full of violence, seemingly random and punishing. However, I dare say it decries violence completely. It truly shows in this apocalyptic setting how the innocent are in the crossfire and do suffer, and exhibits a painful helplessness of the civilians trapped in mega-tower societies. There are enough sub plots and subtle character dynamics/interactions that make this a joy to watch a few times over- plot and character development through subtle glances, grimaces, or psychic flashes. If that is not enough, then the visuals- some of the most colorful and pleasantly shocking slo-motion sequences I've encountered in either movie form or video game form.

Long story short- it is true to the comic, it is visually stunning- giving a very realistic presentation of the environment of megacity one after an apocalypse, provides admirable uncompromising heroes and detestable villains and a fun and entertaining dynamic between the insufferable Dredd and his new rookie.

Please- go see and support this movie, hopefully they'll do another one, or at least take another comic and do it --- Justice.
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    "Oh god, here we go again with the superheroes, I wonder if I manage to sit through the entire movie". Were my initial thoughts. Boy was I wrong, best movie of 2012.
  9. Jan 28, 2013
    I never write reviews, I just read all the user reviews (not the critics) to make my decision on whether I should watch a movie or not. I am really glad I decided to see Dredd, this is one of the coolest movies I have seen in the past five years, I did not expect the movie to be as gripping as it was. Awesome action, perfect amount of 'badass', great gore, and a very beautiful movie.
  10. Jun 7, 2013
    Awful movie. There is no message here, just an American action film, which is not what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban is a downright horrible actor, or maybe Dredd as a character is just hollow. Lena Headey is fun to watch, but even her character is so paper thin you really have nothing to say about her. The annoying slow-mo affects felt masturbatory and amateur. It was just bad from the startAwful movie. There is no message here, just an American action film, which is not what Judge Dredd is. Karl Urban is a downright horrible actor, or maybe Dredd as a character is just hollow. Lena Headey is fun to watch, but even her character is so paper thin you really have nothing to say about her. The annoying slow-mo affects felt masturbatory and amateur. It was just bad from the start to the end. If you're into pointless, gratuitous violence then this is right up your alley. If you want something deeper from your movies, or clever, then move on. Dredd was pretty bad. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    The movie's poor reception in North America is a real surprise, considering the movie is significantly above average where action movies are concerned. I knew practically nothing about Judge Dredd and had no expectations when I went to see the movie and I walked out having seen one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. Highly recommended if you don't shy away from aThe movie's poor reception in North America is a real surprise, considering the movie is significantly above average where action movies are concerned. I knew practically nothing about Judge Dredd and had no expectations when I went to see the movie and I walked out having seen one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. Highly recommended if you don't shy away from a little more than average red on the screen, whether or not you're familiar with the franchise.

Quite possibly the best comic book to film adaptation made to date.
  12. Oct 20, 2012
    In a world where only a thin line separates right from injustice and there is no time and resources to maintain order in the gentle way. The person responsible for this movie must have been raised in such world to express it the way he did. It was a movie in which simply every single second catched my whole attention. I felt like as if I could have watched it for 4 hours and wouldn't get bored.
  13. Jan 26, 2013
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Perhaps it wasn't a box office success, but its difficult to reboot something that was so awful first time around, whatever the reason, Dredd deserves to get a cult status in more wyas than one.
    This film took risks, but they certainly paid off.
    Set in a post-atomic age where the remaining humans live in 'mega-cities', the city is maintained through the law of 'judges', motorbike riding officers who deal with the overwhelming crime on the streets.
    Among the Judges is the most famed and feared of all...Dredd (Karl Urban).
    It has touches of Blade Runner and Terminator rolled into this hour and half action flick.
    Urban does a fantastic job as the lead character, conveying his emotion brilliantly, all the while while having to wear the helmet.
    Joining Dredd is rookie judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby) who is also a psychic, Thirlby holds her own here, relatively unknown to most in terms of the action genre.
    On the other side of the coin is is Game of Thrones Lena Headey playing disturbed drud lord Ma-Ma, who is distributing a new drug Slo-Mo into the city.
    Dredd doesn't waste time trying to correct mistakes of its own genre, its goes full throttle into the film and doesnt hold back on blood, guts and all around gore...
  14. Sep 28, 2012
    Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd.Dredd is one of the most entertaining movies of 2012. The great thing about it is that it embraces itself as what it is: a simple popcorn film that only pretends to show crazy over the top violence and a badass hero. But at the same time, it has its own essence, a great production design and is far from the average generic and uninspired action movie. Karl Urban did a great job as Dredd. His lines and his Batman-esque voice made him very enjoyable to watch. Same thing for Lena Headey, who is what you expect from a villain of this sort: an evil woman who you want to see suffer. Dredd was a very pleasant surprise. If you like good action, go and see it. Expand
  15. Feb 16, 2013
    Yes, it sucks. Other film fans may think that it's a masterpiece or a cult hit but it's not. While it is more faithful to the comics, Dredd reminds me of another comic adaptation that doesn't work: The Punisher. Worst still, it has the exact same plot as another film released that year, Raid, Redemption. That film on the other hand shows you what visceral action feels like. This oneYes, it sucks. Other film fans may think that it's a masterpiece or a cult hit but it's not. While it is more faithful to the comics, Dredd reminds me of another comic adaptation that doesn't work: The Punisher. Worst still, it has the exact same plot as another film released that year, Raid, Redemption. That film on the other hand shows you what visceral action feels like. This one feels so generic, and the bad thing is the original comic book has a lot of potential. It's violent sure, but feels so pedestrian. One of the year's most disappointing film. Expand
  16. Jan 28, 2013
    Its an OK action movie. Sparse plot, filled out by sickeningly cruel violence - but aren't they all these days. Problem is, its just not the Judge Dredd of the comic books. Where are the juves, the fatties, the droids, the muties, the futzies ...... ok, the laughs? I had great expectations for this film after watchmen, avengers and the recent batman movies. I'd hoped someone could do DreddIts an OK action movie. Sparse plot, filled out by sickeningly cruel violence - but aren't they all these days. Problem is, its just not the Judge Dredd of the comic books. Where are the juves, the fatties, the droids, the muties, the futzies ...... ok, the laughs? I had great expectations for this film after watchmen, avengers and the recent batman movies. I'd hoped someone could do Dredd some justice (pun intended), but not this time around apparently. The best Dredd movie is still Stallones. Expand
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    A high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate thisA high octane rollercoaster ride which is ultra -violent, gritty, surreal, and raw in true comic book adaptation. This films lowish production values show true inspiration instead of the hogwash which sometimes comes from those with over-exaggerated budgets. While quite rough in places and might have had a better polish in certain parts. It is a must see for those who appreciate this genre. I have given this film a lesser rating because when watching this film I am reminded of The Raid Redemption another great film, although this being different in its effect I believe it to have burrowed some of it's idea's from. Expand
  18. Sep 28, 2012
    Earlier this year, an incredible and inventive action flick came out entitled The Raid: Redemption. It featured a team of police officers fighting through floor after floor of an apartment complex, showcasing a stunning masterpiece of editing and martial arts. Guns were used very little in the film, which gave it a more personal touch, and utilized music to build up fight sequences, whichEarlier this year, an incredible and inventive action flick came out entitled The Raid: Redemption. It featured a team of police officers fighting through floor after floor of an apartment complex, showcasing a stunning masterpiece of editing and martial arts. Guns were used very little in the film, which gave it a more personal touch, and utilized music to build up fight sequences, which could last for about 10 minutes. Delivering suspense, expert editing, impressive choreography, and some brutal violence, the film quickly rose to critical success and is one of my favourite action films I Expand
  19. Feb 23, 2014
    This is the first film that I have ever refused to watch; I would not continue to watch it after renting it from Blockbuster. I did not like this movie for it's romantization of: Drug Use, Rape and Gore. Humanity has to have a line somewhere and this film crossed that line.
  20. Sep 24, 2012
    Been there, done that, bought the comic. Awesome intro. Gets lost in its own logic, but who needs logic when you have unlimited clips of ammo. Lame excuse for keeping the girls hair exposed for viewers because two Judges walking around in helmets would be even more emotionless and bland.
  21. Oct 18, 2012
    Dredd is visually stylize, fast-paced bloody action pack. The industrial score wins. But for being The Raid remake, it suffers most Hollywood movies, it never work. Oh, please I try being sarcastic.
  22. Sep 23, 2012
    The title of the movie should have been "Dreadful." Fortunately, the theater we saw it in was first class. I am so sorry I wasted the money on this flick.
  23. Sep 23, 2012
    Excellent visuals and acting can't save this plodding film. No story other than "Shoot bad guys", hard to get behind a film that asks us to cheer for a corrupt police state. If you like gory shoot-em-ups or are a fan of the original comics, see this film. Otherwise, if you don't see it, you're not missing anything.
  24. Sep 26, 2012
    I know why the reason I was the only one at the show last night.. This movie should have never been made. I saw Judge Dredd, with Sly Stallone and like it.. DO NOT Waste your money on this one..
  25. Sep 27, 2012
    I was just bored by the better part of this film. Olivia Thirlby and the character they wrote for her are both terrific, and they save the film, but the lead actor and Lena Heady are wasted. There are just so many films similar in construction that are so much better. For some reason, I was thinking of Raid: The Redemption and Equilibrium at several points during the movie - both greatI was just bored by the better part of this film. Olivia Thirlby and the character they wrote for her are both terrific, and they save the film, but the lead actor and Lena Heady are wasted. There are just so many films similar in construction that are so much better. For some reason, I was thinking of Raid: The Redemption and Equilibrium at several points during the movie - both great films. I just have a feeling that standards for comic book flicks have been lowered so greatly over the last few years that anything decent will be fawned over. Expand
  26. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but isThis is one of thosd but they suit the tone of the film perfectly. Karl urban is perfect as the menacing Judge Dredd he keeps a calm cool attitude throughout but never slinks over to superhuman capability, which is a nice change of pace. If at any point people started flipping around and whatnot the movie would have lost a ton of appeal. Now the violence is heavily on display but is never overbearingly dwelled on. For instance a man gets his hand blown off and it does show it but there are no unnecessary close ups or anything of the ilk. The only two real complaints come in the form of 0 character development ( which isn't needed in this kind of film, but still a problem) and the lack of a heart pounding finally that you really hope for in a movie like this. But overall this is a must see for any action movie fan. Expand
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    When I saw the reviews I knew this would be good but I wasn't expecting it to be absolutely frikkin awesome. Everything about this film screams cool. The thumping futuristic music, the guns, the blood. Perfect in every way. One of the best sci fis I've seen. It has the feel of a cult classic. Totally blew me away
  28. Mar 24, 2013
    Fantastic movies. watch it tell others and enjoy. just like a good comic a slice of the life of dredd not the whole history jammed down your throat. a must watch
  29. Jan 21, 2013
    One of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you aOne of the best action/comic book movies to some out in a long time. Truly fantastic and brutal violence, great acting, and great script. The main characters are likable and the villains detestable. I do have one complaint, and that's that most of the slow-mo sections (all except the first two and the final one) were just kind of in the way. Dredd is a fantastic action movie, and if you a fan of the character I recommend you watching. Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2013
    Dredd was an absolutely fantastic slice of sci-fi action. It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie as bloodthirsty as Dredd, but it really hit the spot. The barebones nature of the film really works to it's advantage here. There isn't much excess, just a grim, gritty slab of badass. Which keeps it pretty faithful to the origianal comic books.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.