8.2

1. Apr 1, 2014
    Fantastic enjoyable and refreshing effort to bring the character to the screen once again. Great action, great sense of character and place. My only qualm is with the underwhelming scale of events chosen in the movie. In 2000AD megacity one was an overpopulated disgusting reflection of a commercially bound society and often shows this as a joke. Am guessing this stems from limits in budget for production and if it weren't for that slightly too small scale of mega city events portrayed I would say is 10/10 for getting that character on screen in a way that feels right. Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    Apparently a fair amount of people liked this movie and I really wanted to like it myself. Something was missing for me though. It's a pretty derivative movie, bleak future, ultra violent, drugs, gangs etc.... and an anti hero. Done right this can make for a great movie, done wrong can make for well .... this. Just another Hollywood over the top high on action, low on story time waster. I wouldn't say it's bad but it's just not that good. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    Man, what a thrill ride. Urban was perfect as Dredd. Like an idiot and lot of other people, I missed out on Dredd in the cinema. Apparently the 3D was mind blowing. And thank God this wasn't watered down to a child-friendly PG-rated joke. Like most adults, I'm not interesting in seeing kids movies. I'm praying for a sequel and a re-release of the original. Hopefully the massive DVD/Blu-ray sales will get it over the line. Expand
  4. Mar 4, 2014
    This movie is great. I can't explain it another way. Karl Urban is the perfect Judge Dredd, (and by the way... He doesn't take off the mask, Sylvester Stallone). This movie has its flaws, such as some poor writing, but it is fun, action-packed, violent, and straight up awesome. If you are even remotely a fan of the comics, see this. SEE THIS
  5. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    This film was the Dredd film fans were waiting for, a faithful adaptation of the Dredd world portrayed within the comics. The pacing, acting, effects and music were all spot on when creating the right atmosphere for this film to work not to mention Urban as Dredd was fantastic. 10/10 from a Dredd fan. 10/10 for not removing his helmet this time!
  6. Feb 23, 2014
    This is the first film that I have ever refused to watch; I would not continue to watch it after renting it from Blockbuster. I did not like this movie for it's romantization of: Drug Use, Rape and Gore. Humanity has to have a line somewhere and this film crossed that line.
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    Dredd is the type of film which should be widely publicized and enjoyed by comic fans, action fans, and sci-fi fans, but gets overshadowed by inferior films such as Thor and Captain America and Man of Steel. It is way better by far than most of the big name super hero films - the story is tighter, the action is tougher - it is just plain good.
  8. Jan 24, 2014
    What is a very will done movie that does have so much charm, energy and brilliant acting does come off as a bit slow, i mean, the setting is amazing, the camera work is top notch and the plot is very thrilling yet the dull, slow passing is very off putting to me.

Dredd: 8/10
  9. Jan 23, 2014
    This movie is underrated, for sure. You seriously couldn't ask for a better performances form Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby after watching this movie, because they did their best, and so did director Pete Travis.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    I love this movie, and it gets a solid 8. the script shoulda contained more character development for Dredd and seemed a little to rigid, in progression. but Karl urban knows how to play the action hero well, and really makes this movie go. I loved the action from start to finish, it just seemed to be missing a few story elements that would of made this movie a 10 instead of an 8
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    Dredd is action packed. It is full of gore. It kept me on the edge of my seat. This is non stop action. Disturbing at times but that just adds to the dark and sinister tone of the movie. Dredd is the best movie of 2012.
  12. Oct 10, 2013
    This was, hands-down, one of the best action flicks I’ve seen in years. I was going to avoid it simply because the ‘90s version with Stallone was so awful, but a friend clued me in and I’m glad I listened to them. The new Dredd is excellent and not comparable at all to the old one.

The only knock against it is that it feels more like a pilot series episode than a proper movie. Not
    because it’s bad, but because it only explores a very small slice of the world of Judge Dredd and leaves you wanting more. It would be great if a network like Showtime or HBO picked this up for a regular series or if there will at least be a sequel made. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    I loved this movie, I thought it was exceptionally done and I absolutely recommend it; It reminds me of movies like Sin City and 300: movies that didn't compromise what made their source material great to make turn them into a Hollywood blockbuster, I only wish that Dredd would have gotten the same love as the aforementioned movies; because a bigger budget would have only made this movie even better.

Keep in mind it is an "R" rated action movie, so it's more of a Guy Flick; where most women will think it´s too violent (and I only say this because I can see that women are not quite Dredd's target audience, that being said I do know quite a bit of girls who really liked this movie), and its definitely not a kid friendly movie.

The 3D part of the film is nothing exceptional for the most part but there are some scenes where it really pays off (the scenes with the slo-mo drug effect come to mind)

The plot is not over the top like it is with most Comic Book Movies, so don't be expecting a movie like any of the Marvel Movies or most CMBs; instead it has a very simplistic feel to it (don't get me wrong this is why it is so good), its a straight shoot em up film in it's core. You don't need to know anything about the Comic Book to enjoy the movie and if you do you'll only enjoy it more, I also liked how even when they introduce you to the characters it's not really a beginning story.

I saw the Stallone Judge Dredd movie back in the 90's and thought it was a classic Comic Book movie turned Hollywood. Two essential parts of the character of Dredd are his personality and his uniform and I always thought that by removing the helmet for most of the movie and changing the personality of Dredd they completely changed the Character, that together with softening the tone of the movie to an almost PG 13 kind of movie, and giving Dredd a comedic patsy sidekick in the form of Rob Schneider, were the reasons why Stallone's Judge Dredd was so awful. None of these things are present in Dredd (2012), this movie on the other hand is quite dark and crude which is very much the way Comic Book is.

I also thought Karl Urban's performance was right on, it fit the character perfectly and I appreciated the commitment he put to the role by sticking to what makes Dredd so great, and not demanding to have face time in the movie. Judge Anderson was also done amazingly, both in in the writing and the portrayal of the character played by Olivia Thirlby (I absolutely loved her!)
    The only downside of this movie was the villain, although the Ma-Ma character was ok and fit well into the Dredd Universe, I still would have liked a better villain, one that played opposite of Dredd, instead Ma-Ma is just a common thug turned drug lord which is nothing next to Dredd.

If you are not afraid of a bit of violence and blood on screen and are looking for a great movie to watch be sure to see Dredd.
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    I have never read the comics so I can't judge Dredd from that perspective, no pun intended. I have seen the original film and now this one so I have judged both of them as stand alone movies. The original movie had a few main weaknesses and I thought this one addressed all of those. I thought the weaknesses of Stallone's Dredd were the lazy writing, the cheesy 1980's styling, and the numerous plot holes. Karl Urban's Dredd kept the high entertainment value, well done action sequences, and unique setting that is Mega-City One and with the corrected flaws, you would think it would be a much better movie. Not so much. While it lost the cheesy 1980's effects, it replaced them with possibly worse made-for-3D cinematic effects that do nothing for the movie and only drag out a not-so-interesting plot. The gore factor was also a bit high. While I am never one to have any issues with violence or anything, I thought this movie was overdone and felt unnecessary. An analogy would be profane language versus a little teenage boy who feels like he has to use profanity to look cool. I don't have a problem with profanity but when it feels forced, it's just stupid. The overly graphic nature of some of the scenes in this film are like that. They felt forced at times and took away from the movie. The plot is also very, VERY different from the original. Essentially they kept the setting and the protagonist and stripped everything else away and just expanded upon the initial sequence from the first film enough to make an entire movie out of it. While I think they did a good job with it, the oversimplified approach wasn't entirely engaging. Urban and Olivia Thirlby do a solid job as the main characters, though, and the film is entertaining so I'd still suggest checking it out if you get a chance. Expand
  15. Sep 2, 2013
    It's a action great film if you just want to get away from the word for a few hours, Anyone who felt disappointed with the Stallone's Dredd then you'll enjoy this without a doubt.

However I'm glad that I rented it rather then paying full adult price to see it when it came out at the cinema
  16. Sep 2, 2013
    Violent and gorgeous. A pure, euphoric art-action movie. Someone made a comparison to Drive....and I thought Dredd was better than Drive. Far less pretentious. This movie isn't for everyone, obviously. If you are a gun-control spouting hippy...or a bearded, chin-scratching, professorial sociologist...or anyone else who carries sentiments along these lines...i.e. if you are a Nancy, then you will not like this film. It was not made for you, so don't bother seeing it...or reviewing it. For the rest of us who can appreciate this genre without succumbing to the desire to become violent ourselves....bon appetite! Expand
  17. Aug 31, 2013
    This movie is fantastic and don't understand all the hate it gets from reviewers. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it because all the bad rap the first "judge Dredd" got, even though I haven't seen it. The story is actually very simple, which is a good thing in this case, and is not convoluted at all. It has one location in the story, again which is a good thing. I thought Karl Urban was great as Dredd and seemed to play a seasoned badass that showed his skills well. Some people think it's hard to cramn a multilayered story into an hour and a half, or even 2 hour, movie. This took a single layered story and spread it out to an hour and a half but filled it with entertainment with hardly a dull moment. Again this is a great film that should not be missed by action movie fans or fans of the comic. Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    This Dredd movie had very good special effects in comparison to the 1995 Judge Dredd movie, but used them very obnoxiously. Practically half of the movie was slow motion, and in scenes where it was totally unnecessary. I had to stop myself from fast forwarding through the annoying slow mo scenes of people blowing smoke.

The plot was more believable than the plot in the 1995 version, but
    it was ridiculously simple.
    Right before I watched Dredd I watched Event Horizon, and it had negative reviews by critics for having ridiculous volumes of blood spilling everywhere, this movie had the same sort of unbelievable gore.
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    Great film; it doesn't mess about. The plot is simple but well told and the production is really tight. In particular I loved the music score, I might actually buy the audio CD which I've never done for a film before. I saw Dredd in 3D and it worked really well.

I doubt a sequel will happen but it would be amazing to see more of MegaCity1.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. so after hearing people say that this movie cant compare to Stallone's judge dredd i had to write this review. People who say judge dredd is better than dredd 3D are idiots they reckon that it is more like the comic books and that is total in Stallone's judge dredd they tried to add Rico dredd into the movie but he wasn't a cyborg like in the comics and he was on a prison on earth and then they tried to add the angel gang but made them cannibals. in dredd 3D they had Anderson who had her psychic ability's like in the comics it had the gore from the comics and he left his helmet on for the whole movie which is like the true judge dredd so all you idiots out there that like the Stallone version of judge dredd go and yourselves because that movie all over true dredd. Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    "Dredd" has nothing innovative to offer that is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the disastrous 1995 version starring Sylvester Stallone. It has the atmosphere of a shoot 'em up video game, and the only thing that's missing is the wireless controller. Heads splatter and bullets rip through body parts at a relentless and continuous pace. "Dredd" is superbly designed and delivered with relentless carnage from all angles, and even more so impressively utilizing 3D. The sprawling “Slo-Mo” sequences are equally impressive as well. At a time when most comic book adaptations try to be all things to all people, “Dredd” savagely entertains for those with the stomach for it, and more than satisfies its intended base audience. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2013
    Somehow lots of really great and original action films get underrated, and this one is not the exception. You see, if it would had been directed by Cameron or Nolan, it would have been praised by critics.
  23. Aug 14, 2013
    With viciously graphic violence, a sometimes dark sense of humor, and great special effects, this is one comic book adaptation that pulls off its source material in exciting, adrenaline rushing fashion.
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    Very well made with some excellent cinematography; particularly the depiction of the effects of the SLO-MO drug; I found this very effective (even in 2D). I liked that this film was much edgier with a much tougher, uncompromising Dredd. Great performances all round with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey standing out. Dredd never takes his helmet off and this is much truer to the original comic books, another thing I liked about this one. The music was good without being outstanding; it complemented the picture pretty well with some nice themes here and there. On the down side, I guess the script could have done with a little more work and they never get the Judges bikes right. They still look like a standard bike with a big faring tacked on; I maybe expected better this time. Loved all the various weapons and tech though! Over all, I enjoyed this one; it didn’t fall into cliché too much and had a nice gritty edge to it. I doubt they’ll make a sequel, but if they do, I will be in line for a ticket.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.9/10
  25. Jul 25, 2013
    Never knew anything about Dredd before watching this move. I thought the cinematography was great. I thought the writing was pretty good. I enjoyed the story well enough. On that topic, though, it felt pretty simplistic, the story. But, there was a lot of neat stuff alluded to as well. I enjoyed the actors and thought their performances were good. I enjoyed the music.
  26. Jul 18, 2013
    After the forgettable travesty that was Stallone's film in the 90s, finally Judge Dredd fans get the film they deserve. Well played by Urban, well directed, and beautifully shot, Dredd's only weakness is the villain. Fans wanted Judge Death, which would have been one of the sequels, but poor box office means this may not see the light of day. Violent and intended for an older audience, Dredd is a well executed action film and worthy of a watch. Expand
  27. Jul 7, 2013
    Full of thrills. Powered by a bombastic bloody violence and non stop action. Dredd maybe is the best R-rated crime action film off all time and definitely action film's fans' dream come true.
  28. Jul 6, 2013
    Sometimes situations happen and you are required to either step up or step out.

Dredd is that primaeval part of the human condition that only knows how to step up... and blow a big freakin' hole in the problem.

The story, on the surface, is a simple one but it took me until the following day to really realise 'Damn...that WAS a really great film'. The reason is because Dredd is so
    stripped down compared to todays CGI laden, $200mil blockbusters it caught me off guard. Films like this don't really get made anymore. The filmakers have taken what they had to work with and have done no more or less than they should. I would challenge anyone to pause the film anytime and not appreciate that any frame of this film could have been pulled from the pages of a 2000AD prog, such is the calibre of the cinematography. Dredd is a near perfect example of solid SFX together with great story telling without the painful spoon-feeding that happens far to often in modern cinema. It's an education in good film-making.

The character of Judge Dredd is refreshingly straightforward. The slight hint of a backstory presented to the audience when the character of Anderson is introduced is quite simply genius.

In todays society, people too often look for extra recognition for their endeavours. The 'Look at me, look at me' syndrome. Dredd, however, after overcoming a brilliantly deadly situation; his report to the Chief Judge is simple: "Drug bust...Perps were, uncooperative" A good lesson in the lost art of understatement.

!!!The Man in the Mask!!! Even Peter Weller got a good chunk of full face time in Robocop but with Dredd the studios needed an actor who was prepared to (quite rightly) cover the majority of their face for 100% of the film. Step up Karl Urban. The man was born to play this role. Dredd is not a muscle bound superhuman, just a bad ass with a badge. No voice, dialogue or down turned mouth has been so effective since Clint Eastwoods' 'Man with no name' from the Sergio Leone trilogy.

A sequel would be a lovely thought (Please bring back the same main actors) but with box office takings poor the chances are slim. Who knows though? This film stands up on it's own and a bigger budget sequel might be a poison chalice to what is a truly remarkable accomplishment.

DREDD is AWESOME
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget for a second that the title character is the famous comic book character Judge Dredd. Ignore the low budget use of modern scenes and sets and vehicles. Ignore the ludicrous attempt to sci-fi up Dredd's motorcycle. All that is over in the first couple of minutes.

This plays out like an episode from a series a series I would LOVE to watch. A bad-ass veteran cop teams up with a psychic to investigate a routine homicide during what is essentially the rookie's final assessment test. Following a tip, they bust into the drug den of a local gang suspected of playing a role in the homicide. The gang then shuts down the building and tries to hunt the cops.

The good:
    Good action. Good suspense. Good pacing. Some good surprises.

The bad:
    At a critical moment, the psychic seems to forget she that her best weapon is her ability to get into people's minds. She could have defused a bad situation right there. OR, it could have been the plan all along to get her inside the gang's main defences without a fight, WHEREUPON she could unleash her mind control powers for some seriously interesting scenes NOT based on gunplay, AND we could avoid the whole damsel in distress routine.

Likewise, a certain perp was kept by the officers AFTER he had given them the information they wanted and AFTER (therefore) he'd outlived his usefulness to them. As one of the cops said earlier: he became a liability and they shouldn't have brought him along beyond that point.

I think the movie needed a stronger reason why this new drug is so much worse that other drugs. Sure, it's neat and all, but I don't get a real sense of peril out of knowing that this new drug is on the street when all it seems to do is alter one's perception.

Follow up that perception with homicidal psychosis, and then I'd be worried. Have the withdrawal be so bad that people go crazy trying to get money for their next hit, and then I'd be concerned. As it is, not so much.

That said: I'd have loved to see this become a TV series. I think it would be awesome to see this kind of drama every week.
  30. Jun 23, 2013
    The movie's story is very simplistic in nature. However, it's an action flick with the sole purpose of showcasing the pure dominance of Dredd and Judges. Karl Urban was a perfect casting choice for Dredd, a far better portrayal than that of Stalone in the 1995 movie.

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 26, 2012
    Absolutely, 100% kickass. Now would someone please get busy on the "Tank Girl" do-over, please?
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Sep 22, 2012
    Dredd 3-D places you firmly in an unreal, dreamlike world and rouses you with its unexpected grace and its rhythms and its movement. The plot ceases to matter after a certain point: This is a great big beautiful music video, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean OConnell
    Sep 21, 2012
    This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book readers have been anticipating.