FilmDistrict | Release Date: September 16, 2011
Universal acclaim based on 1402 Ratings
1,179
Watch Now
twernglexdSep 17, 2017
This is my favorite movie. I don't want to say anything because I want to make sure I spoil NOTHING. This movie is amazing and you're doing a disservice to yourself if you haven't watched it
MetaflixSep 5, 2017
The prominent status of 'Drive' is now firmly entrenched in popular culture. At some point, like with 'The Big Lebowski,' the film transitioned from cult hit to mainstream phenomenon, solidifying the careers of director Nicolas Winding RefnThe prominent status of 'Drive' is now firmly entrenched in popular culture. At some point, like with 'The Big Lebowski,' the film transitioned from cult hit to mainstream phenomenon, solidifying the careers of director Nicolas Winding Refn and actors Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan, as well as launching the now-stratospheric career of Oscar Isaac.

'Drive' is essentially known as a car chase flick, yet there are literally only two car chase scenes throughout the entire course of the movie. This speaks to how memorable those sequences are, in addition to how well the rest of the plot supports the overall narrative. Furthermore, 'Drive' is among the purest examples of a filmmaker utilizing the orange-blue color palette. Oranges and blues are expertly feathered into nearly every scene, creating a sharp, delightful visual contrast.
LatinCritic13Aug 12, 2017
When you think of Drive, it’s like No Country for Old Men, but it takes place in a modern-day Los Angeles where the self-help gurus and hypocrisy breaks loose in this fantastic cult crime thriller. This film directed by the experimentalWhen you think of Drive, it’s like No Country for Old Men, but it takes place in a modern-day Los Angeles where the self-help gurus and hypocrisy breaks loose in this fantastic cult crime thriller. This film directed by the experimental Danish filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn and his movie is arguably one of the best movies that he ever made when adapting James Sallis’ novel on the big screen, and my god he did it right! The direction is on-point, the cinematography is dazzlingly beautiful, the screenplay is very well executed, the action is surreal, the soundtrack is electronically orgasmic, and the plot is so immersive that you can feel yourself buckling up to enjoy this neo-noir crime thriller and it’s a blast! Without a doubt, this is arguably one of the best movies ever made for the 2010s decade… Expand
sanyamAug 11, 2017
It reminds you of the 80s. Sucks you in from the first scene and them=n never lets go. What makes Drive so catchy is its beautiful cinematography, Gosling's and Mulligans great performance and of course it's brilliant soundtracks. The thingIt reminds you of the 80s. Sucks you in from the first scene and them=n never lets go. What makes Drive so catchy is its beautiful cinematography, Gosling's and Mulligans great performance and of course it's brilliant soundtracks. The thing about Drive is it says too much with minimal dialouge. Definitely worth your time. Expand
LukehatJul 4, 2017
It engaged me throughout. One unrealistic handbrake turn and then reversing action scene is about the only negative thing I can say about it..........
BitashJul 3, 2017
Are you kidding me, it was horrific. Trying to hard and then being great at being a failure. Just awful script, music and story line, waste of my time. Do not recommend at all. Would give it. A minus 10 if I could. Boring, slow and thenAre you kidding me, it was horrific. Trying to hard and then being great at being a failure. Just awful script, music and story line, waste of my time. Do not recommend at all. Would give it. A minus 10 if I could. Boring, slow and then slower... just bad over all. Expand
MasterRileyJun 29, 2017
Drive is a fantastic film that from the very beginning sets a specific mood and atmosphere, and just carries that through until the very end. It is a very unique movie, as the story is told mostly through imagery with little dialogueDrive is a fantastic film that from the very beginning sets a specific mood and atmosphere, and just carries that through until the very end. It is a very unique movie, as the story is told mostly through imagery with little dialogue throughout. The cinematography, lighting, sound design, and performances however come together perfectly. Every single shot and scene is so riveting that I could not stop watching. It tells a familiar story with such a unique sense of style that you cannot help but appreciate it. Ultimately it holds your attention closely throughout the entire movie, something that most other films have a hard time doing. Expand
SpangleDec 23, 2016
Forgive me father, for I have sinned. When I saw Drive for the first time in 2013, I had just finished my first film class in high school and was set to graduate from high school in a few weeks. Now, a week and a half removed from finishingForgive me father, for I have sinned. When I saw Drive for the first time in 2013, I had just finished my first film class in high school and was set to graduate from high school in a few weeks. Now, a week and a half removed from finishing college a semester early, it was time to atone for the sins of my youth. Unacquainted with good films at the time aside from the ones I saw in my class, I was ill-prepared for Drive. Finding it too violent and boring, I previously gave this film a 1/10. I know. The first of many rewatches from 2011 (Contagion, Source Code, The Ides of March, and The Artist are crying out for a re-evaluation), my second viewing of Drive was far more rewarding. Slow, elegant, and poetic, Drive is a remarkably brilliant film with great cinematography, a killer score, great dialogue, and great performances.

While I was wrong about this movie originally, I was right that it is incredibly violent. Not for the weak of heart (read: 2013 me), Drive is typical when it comes to Nicolas Winding Refn with its violence. With a violent hatred for people with eyes, Refn takes pleasure in having his films show people get stabbed in the eyes. Here, he also adds in a lot of stabs to the neck and a head being smashed like a watermelon dropped on a sidewalk. Thus, Drive is a hyperviolent film that turns violence into an art form. For example, the scene in the elevator where The Driver (Gosling) moves Irene (Carey Mulligan) out of the way and kisses her as the lights dim, is elegantly crafted and almost mystical in its movement. Juxtaposing the beauty of this movement with the swift violent kicks of The Driver into the would be assailant's face is both jarring and disturbingly gorgeous. Refn is into cheap violence. Instead, his is well shot and purposefully carried out with each swing of a blade or fist carrying significant purpose and elegance.

What certainly complements this gorgeous choreography of violent moments is the synth-filled score from Cliff Martinez and the stunning cinematography. Put together, this trio turns Drive from a violent neo-noir crime film into a dream-like whirlwind of gorgeous images and sounds. The film undeniably formalistic in this sense, often using the hyperreality of Los Angeles to escape the boundaries of reality and transcend into being both a dream and a piece of art. At all times, the viewer it is a film due to the techniques utilized by Refn that do not replicate reality. Instead, the techniques serve the purpose of shining beautiful neon lights over a cruel and wicked world. Accenting this is the dialogue of the film, which is minimalist at best. Poetic and purposeful, the dialogue flows brilliantly even if there are large gaps between deliveries. There is a certain lyricism to conversations here, such as those between The Driver and Irene. Though he speaks very little, The Driver is incredibly well developed. Do not mistake his silent nature for weakness as he is actually a menacing, smart, and calculated figure. His every move is precise and chosen carefully. The only time where he takes risks is with Irene. A well-written relationship, the chemistry between The Driver and Irene works, even if given very little screentime. In the time they are given - namely when they go to the river - the writing allows the duo to be a great couple. Stylistically, Refn highlights the almost holy nature of this relationship repeatedly throughout the film. Often when they are together, such as at the river and in the elevator, the film spills a light from above on them that gives them an almost golden glow. Mirroring the brightness they bring to each other's lives, which are otherwise shrouded in darkness, these are the brightest shots of the film and this is clearly purposeful.

As The Driver, Ryan Gosling is tremendous. Cool, laid back, and intense, Gosling brings his charms and charisma to the film in a subtle way. Though he is quiet and does not use his mouth, his presence exudes something his words could never capture. As Irene, Carey Mulligan is typically brilliant. Though she is not given much to work with - as this is largely Gosling's show - her brief moments on screen are careful and reserved. She is as withdrawn as The Driver, but equally brings a certain passion and innocence to her scenes. The supporting cast, which includes Bryan Cranston, Oscar Isaac, Albert Brooks, and Ron Perlman, are equally great. As gangsters, Brooks and Perlman are cold, malicious, and brutal. However, they are still written with this odd sort of poetry and romanticism for the bruality they can deliver on those that do them wrong.

As with the rest of his neon trilogy, Nicolas Winding Refn gets great pleasure of watching beautiful people do horrific things. Here, Gosling is a mentally unhinged getaway driver whose looks and charisma juxtapose the violence he commits.
ElmacroNov 29, 2016
Una de las películas mas reciente del genero de neo noir que me ha atrapado por completa es cierto que la premisa de la historia es bastante simplista pero bastante atrapante. Y como es bien sabido esta pelicula esta acompañada de una granUna de las películas mas reciente del genero de neo noir que me ha atrapado por completa es cierto que la premisa de la historia es bastante simplista pero bastante atrapante. Y como es bien sabido esta pelicula esta acompañada de una gran banda sonora. Expand
mwil236Oct 2, 2016
If you do not like this film, I completely concur with PollosHermanos: "your favorite movie is most likely Transformers" and you are probably a high school boy more impressed by the manufactured appearance of Megan Fox's breasts than theIf you do not like this film, I completely concur with PollosHermanos: "your favorite movie is most likely Transformers" and you are probably a high school boy more impressed by the manufactured appearance of Megan Fox's breasts than the emergence of a modern masterpiece.

There are no flaws in this film. Certainly there are no obvious flaws.

Casting yet again proves to be the cornerstone of film-making, followed closely by writing and direction. Gosling is exceptionally convincing as a brooding, silent but dangerous main. Mulligan is equally in her element as a sheepish girl-next-door, and Cranston is beginning to prove that he must have been doing something right while he played the Dad on Malcolm in the Middle (because he is now a very versatile and tremendous actor - in case you didn't catch that joke). Toss in Ron Perlman as the character he plays in every movie and you've got it.

Idiots will find this movie boring or "artsy." The use of silence and background music to establish mood is tremendous. Gosling delivers each line, of which there are precious few, with perfect inflection and emotion. All of the characters make excellent use of dialogue and Refn makes tremendous use of screen space and camera angle. The jarring contrast of violent portions really involves the audience in the shock of the moment.
JacobSep 17, 2016
Drive provides an experience unlike any other. Throughout little dialogue we see a good man do terrible things to do something good. All to protect the innocent and in the process destroying himself. All the while atmosphere is created andDrive provides an experience unlike any other. Throughout little dialogue we see a good man do terrible things to do something good. All to protect the innocent and in the process destroying himself. All the while atmosphere is created and visuals convey the mood and character quite nicely. This isn’t a film for those expecting some dumb action movie this a film about character and atmosphere and those who appreciate that will love this movie as I did. Expand
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
Drive is a uniquely crafted art-house "action" film that acts as a perfect opposition to the adrenaline-laden Mission Impossibles,Transformers and many more. It follows a quiet stunt/getaway driver (Ryan Gosling) and his conflict withDrive is a uniquely crafted art-house "action" film that acts as a perfect opposition to the adrenaline-laden Mission Impossibles,Transformers and many more. It follows a quiet stunt/getaway driver (Ryan Gosling) and his conflict with dangerous criminals after trying to assist a friend in a robbery. Nicolas Winding Refn's direction is Hyper-stylized; he evokes thought through nuance and creates tension through silence. The editing is bold and the cast did an excellent job, particularly Gosling and Albert Brooks. Its pace may leave some bored, but it will leave others (like myself) intrigued. Expand
imjoedavidsonSep 2, 2016
Ryan Gosling carries this film from start to finish. You can't help but wonder what drives him to what he has become. Gosling's mystery will draw you in to the last second.
abi_abhiabiAug 8, 2016
this movie can be finished in 1 hour.. full of slowest motion scenes i could possibly imagine.. the story is also not so serious.. i dunno why people and the critics call it a neo-noir thriller.. lol.. overrated movie.. f u c k off.. if uthis movie can be finished in 1 hour.. full of slowest motion scenes i could possibly imagine.. the story is also not so serious.. i dunno why people and the critics call it a neo-noir thriller.. lol.. overrated movie.. f u c k off.. if u want to dislike my review.. go a head and s u c k my balls.. 0/10.. and people who agree with me.. cheers.. avoid this movie if u can.. Expand
duckhostJul 19, 2016
[PT-BR] Esse filme é perfeito em todos os aspectos, atuações, trilha sonora, edição, direção, fotografia, sonoplastia, tudo nesse filme se encaixa formando não somente o melhor filme de 2011 mas um dos melhores filmes que já pude ter a[PT-BR] Esse filme é perfeito em todos os aspectos, atuações, trilha sonora, edição, direção, fotografia, sonoplastia, tudo nesse filme se encaixa formando não somente o melhor filme de 2011 mas um dos melhores filmes que já pude ter a oportunidade de ver.

A história desse filme é simples mas direta, o protagonista do filme é um piloto/dublê pra filmes em Hollywood e a noite dirige para criminais fazendo vários serviços pela cidade de Los Angeles e quando um serviço dá errado tudo na vida dele também dá errado, não vou revelar mais pois insisto para que qualquer um que ler esta review ver o filme.

A OST desse filme é perfeita, Nightcall de Kavinsky combina com o tom do filme. e as outras músicas que tocam também combinam, nada nesse filme parece fora de ordem ou fora de si, o filme se completa.

Em resumo (somente falei das duas melhores coisas desse filme) veja Drive.
Tss5078May 9, 2016
I was really excited when I saw the preview for this film, an action thriller with a terrific cast is right up my ally, unfortunately, the three minutes of action in the trailer, showed the only decent action in the entire film. Ryan GoslingI was really excited when I saw the preview for this film, an action thriller with a terrific cast is right up my ally, unfortunately, the three minutes of action in the trailer, showed the only decent action in the entire film. Ryan Gosling plays a Hollywood stunt man, who moonlights as a getaway driver, in a story that is both eerily similar to and nothing like The Transporter. The driver in this film is just as picky and OCD as Jason Statham's character in the Transporter, but that's where the similarities end. After a nice opening, this film quickly turns into some noir love story, that really focuses more on the conflicted driver, than on anything else, making this one boring film. How can a film company be allowed to put out an action fueled trailer for a film like this, which is anything but exciting. The clever advertising devils got me again, but facts are facts, and no trailer or good looking star can hide the fact that this movie was terrible. Expand
lazatoyMay 7, 2016
Drive is one of the most interesting films I've ever seen.
Drive is one of the most interesting films I've ever seen.
It could be an action film, since it has the premise, but, instead, the director and writer do the right things to avoid that outcome, crafting one deep, and sometimes brutal experience throughout.

I think about the best part of this movie is that it's devoid of any filler, because everything has a meaning, and can be interpreted in many different ways. I also don't think it hurts to mention the cinematography here is excellent, the acting is perfect (esp. from Gosling), and the writing that this film relies on is brilliantly written.

Is it for everyone? No, but I can still see a lot of people having a somewhat enjoyable time. If you're an action buff, you will need to set your expectations right, because this movie is mostly devoid of any action!
Also, if you're one of the people that say this movie isn't very "good" because there was no action, please, please, re-watch it.
sentendMay 1, 2016
The best of 2011. A movie I didn't whole heartedly love after first viewing, but its something that grew on me immensely. Great Soundtrack and action. Methodically paced and directed. May be the most artistic action film ever.
Antgiog1202Apr 28, 2016
Drive simply blew me away as it was a marvelous film that achieved so much. I was expecting another copycate Fast & Furious movie; but instead I got something entirely different with a more unique and intriguing storyline. The greatest thingDrive simply blew me away as it was a marvelous film that achieved so much. I was expecting another copycate Fast & Furious movie; but instead I got something entirely different with a more unique and intriguing storyline. The greatest thing this movie accomplishes was it's use of film editing and cinematography as it looks beautiful to watch. The way they trasition from one scene to another gave me goosebumps; as well as the outstanding performance by Albert Brooks. He was intimidating to watch and I actaully felt fear looking into the eyes of his character. I thought he was definitely snubbed for the "best supporting actor" category from the Academy Awards!

You wanted another Fast & Furious movie. Instead, you got something a whole lot better!

Rating: 9/10

D = 1.5
D- = 1
F = 0
EpicLadySpongeApr 25, 2016
This is my personally favorite. Drive reminds us all we should take the road seriously and never to end up losing lives in my front of view. That's how we should be watching this movie.
llamayarmybarApr 23, 2016
Good christ. I recall watching this film with a buddy of mine and reaching the credits only for both of us to look over at eachother with our mouths open wide in shock. "What the heck was that? That was terrible." My friend said loudly.Good christ. I recall watching this film with a buddy of mine and reaching the credits only for both of us to look over at eachother with our mouths open wide in shock. "What the heck was that? That was terrible." My friend said loudly. He was totally outraged at how bizzarely boring the whole film had been and I was utterly blown away by the fact that it was obvious someone had found a short story at some point before the first script was written and had tried to adapt it to a screenplay without realizing it was a total DOA mess. The characters are dull, lifeless. Ryan Goslings performance is lukewarm at best. The soundtrack wasn't even memorable outside of one decent credit roller song at the end. Though the action scenes are shot well, the rest of the film outside of those scenes just falls flat in terms of emotional conveyance. The romance between the two main characters is unbelievable and creepy. All of their scenes together are terribly awkward as well. The main antagonists end up just being some old italian mob guys who just happen to be involved. The plot is as shallow as they come and no elements seem to exist in "Drive" that would or could ever place it beyond or above completely mediocre. Could've been made by a college film student with a smaller budget. Expand
NatT96Apr 16, 2016
Extremely over-hyped and disappointing as well. I do not understand why i find this moving so boring. It definitely has good actors but the plot really put me to sleep. I remember going to see this movie and people started leaving it mid wayExtremely over-hyped and disappointing as well. I do not understand why i find this moving so boring. It definitely has good actors but the plot really put me to sleep. I remember going to see this movie and people started leaving it mid way through. I sat through it only to be amused by the ending of the film. I understand the audience its targeted at, but its artistic silent vibe was not working for me. Most people I did show it to also got very disinterested in it as well. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 3, 2016
Sophistication behind the wheel!

Star of the moment Ryan Gosling delivers a slow, white-hot burn of a performance in "Drive," a nervy, understated ode to one of Hollywood's most cherished archetypes, the sad-eyed man of few words. They
Sophistication behind the wheel!

They can be cowboys, hit men or, in this case, loners who drive cars for a living. But no matter how chilly and reserved, the mysteries at their core mesmerize rather than repel.

As a getaway driver known only as Driver, Gosling obviously harks back to similar protagonists played by Ryan O'Neal, Lee Marvin, Robert De Niro and especially Steve McQueen.

But in "Drive," Gosling and director Nicolas Winding Refn neatly manage the hat trick of paying homage to those wheelmen of yore while reinvigorating the genre with style, smarts and flashes of wit. You may still want to fasten your seat belts, but in these capable, seductive hands you're in for a smooth, uncommonly assured ride.

That's made clear in the opening sequence of "Drive," when Gosling's character fetches two thieves from a Los Angeles warehouse. Found out by the police, who begin to pursue them by way of patrol cars and a helicopter, Driver leads the fuzz not on the wheel-screeching, bombastic chase audience might expect, but on a quiet, cat-and-mouse prowl through Los Angeles's nighttime back streets, winding up in the endless proscenium arches of a parking garage.

At once classic and refreshingly new, the sequence establishes Driver's watchful calm and psychic mettle, as well as Refn's indisputable chops as a filmmaker with firm command of tone, rhythm and irresistibly propulsive pacing.

It turns out that Driver's getaway gig is just a sideline; his day job becomes clear in one of the all-time great movie "reveals," which makes "Drive" not just a fast-car action picture but a wry commentary on Hollywood artifice (which will come in handy later when someone covered in blood needs to blend in with a crowd).

Carey Mulligan, as Driver's new neighbor Irene, may be completely miscast as the wife of a low-level criminal named Standard (the terrific Oscar Isaac), but her chemistry with Gosling is entirely believable, not least because Refn chooses to convey it through lyrical sequences of shy glances and wordlessly eloquent gestures.

Far more persuasive, however improbably, is Albert Brooks as Bernie Rose, a seedy criminal middle-manager who like everyone in L.A. tried his hand in the biz, in his case as a producer. "One critic called them European," he wistfully recalls of his movies. Later, in one of the movie's most chilling scenes, he sweet-talks and soothes a hapless victim while he quietly slips a shiv in his arm, effecting a flawless balance between nebbishness and menace.

Refn, a Danish director whose previous films include "Bronson" and "Valhalla Rising," is known for his love of blood, and when the plot of "Drive" quickens he finds plenty of chances to indulge in his penchant for lurid, stylized violence. But even his most **** flourishes are tempered here, not just with the tender love story between Irene and Driver but with Refn's newfound restraint (one pivotal murderous episode occurs entirely in shadow).

After skillfully earning the audience's allegiance, "Drive," which is based on the novel by James Sallis, throws its hero's motives into more troubling ambiguity, with Gosling's grievous angel proving to be capable of startling brutality. Like the scorpion on his jacket, he can't escape his nature, and Refn does a good job of keeping that core moral essence opaque until the explosive end. He's also constructed a perfect showcase for Gosling's hangdog charisma, which has come into its own this year first with "Crazy, Stupid, Love" and next with "The Ides of March."

A poster for the latter has his face morphing with George Clooney's, and the comparison is apt; indeed "Drive" recalls two of Clooney's best and recent movies, "Michael Clayton" and "The American."

Like "Michael Clayton," "Drive" is a hushed, methodical ode to competence, a wistful wish-fulfillment fantasy in an age of mass screw-uppery. Like "The American," it's almost abstract in its willingness to eschew conventional plotting and dialogue for a subtle sound design and crisp, clean imagery.

Most important, like Clooney's best movies, "Drive" features a compulsively watchable cipher at its center. Low-key, sleek and sophisticated, "Drive" provides the visceral pleasures of pulp without sacrificing art. It's cool and smart.
hiimsmartMar 27, 2016
From the beginning, you are plunged into the world of 'the Driver'. You are instantly feel immersed in his world as the opening burglary scene is going down. You're instantly interested in this character who is, what most people would say, isFrom the beginning, you are plunged into the world of 'the Driver'. You are instantly feel immersed in his world as the opening burglary scene is going down. You're instantly interested in this character who is, what most people would say, is the most uninteresting person in a heist group. Usually, the getaway driver is this faceless guy who is either randomly killed while trying to evade cops, or just written off as some stereotype. But damn if I wasn't instantly hooked from that beginning scene.

Ryan Gosling plays the Driver who is a part-time stunt driver, part-time mechanic, and part-time getaway driver. I honestly don't recall if he ever really gets an actual decent amount of sleep in the entirety of this film. He gives off this deceptively cool demeanor that I call deceptively for a damn good reason. He is capable of being quite violent and showcases it throughout the latter half of this movie.

This film has some of the best cinematography I have seen to date and a story that is as interesting as it is emotionally driven. I don't want to really explain too much about this movie, because it is best experienced rather than talked about. This movie deserves to be watched and enjoyed more than once if possible and should be given your full undivided attention. It is one of the best movies I have seen in a while and I feel like it is a modern classic.
ReelViews94Mar 23, 2016
Perhaps Drive is an action movie for those who don't ordinarily like action movies. It's also an action movie for those who crave them like a drug. Employing unusual camera angles and a unique sense of style, director Nicolas Winding RefnPerhaps Drive is an action movie for those who don't ordinarily like action movies. It's also an action movie for those who crave them like a drug. Employing unusual camera angles and a unique sense of style, director Nicolas Winding Refn takes us on a journey that gets us to feel something for the characters while still receiving an adrenaline rush when the speedometer races into the red zone. The car chases in this movie are exciting, but the best thing about Drive is that you don't know what's going to happen. There's a sense that the lead character could end up six feet under, and that adds an element of urgency to this movie that most in the genre are missing.

Ryan Gosling is perhaps an unlikely candidate for an action movie star, not only because he's a good actor (not necessarily a desirable quality for this sort of role) but because his skills are best utilized in dramas and low-key comedies. As it turns out, however, he's a good fit for Drive, in which his inscrutable character, credited only as "Driver," reveals little background and almost never engages in small talk. Is he autistic or merely an introvert? The movie doesn't much care. Often, dialogue is used to build a character, but Driver speaks so infrequently that it falls upon Gosling's mannerisms and facial expressions to develop someone better realized than a cartoonish stick figure. His success elevates Drive. We become invested not only in the man's life but in the chaste, innocent relationship that develops between Driver and his neighbor, Irene, who is played with a Cathy Rigby/girl-next-door sweetness by Carey Mulligan.

The movie opens with an explosive, pulse pounding prologue set to a throbbing score by composer Cliff Martinez. Driver does all sorts of jobs - works at a garage, races, drives movie stunt cars, and provides "transportation" for criminals. Drive opens with a getaway, and shows the meticulous planning that goes into one such operation. It includes a stopwatch, a police band radio, and some badass driving. The eight minute sequence could stand on its own as a short. It's the best part of a movie that is otherwise still very good.

Driver lives in the moment. He's not afraid of dying, perhaps because he never really lives. He falls in love with his neighbor, but she's married to a guy in prison and he's coming home soon. But "soon" is not today, so Driver finds momentary happiness in becoming a surrogate husband and father for a few days. Meanwhile, his friend and boss, Shannon (Bryan Cranston), provides him with getaway vehicles and puts together a deal that will allow him to drive a souped-up car in races. Unfortunately, to get the money for the car, he has to turn to a couple of mob thugs - the refined Bernie (Albert Brooks) and the less-refined Nino (Ron Perlman). You know things aren't going to go well with these two involved.

Perhaps because we're so used to seeing Brooks as a sadsack funny guy, we're more sympathetic to his character than we might be if Bernie was played by a more typical wise guy figure. It's effective casting because Brooks is believable. Ron Perlman enjoys chewing a little on his lines; Nino is from the Joe Pesci school of thugs - he shouts a lot and thinks violence isn't just the best way to solve problems; it's the only way. One senses that Bernie has spent half his life cleaning up Nino's messes, as a darkly comedic moment hints.

Taciturn action heroes are nothing new. Arnold Schwarzenegger strode through many films without cracking a smile. The difference here is that Gosling is not muscle-bound and his silences say more than many character's dialogues. You can see his mind working as he chews on a toothpick and the half-smirk speaks volumes. He doesn't carry a gun but is capable of a shocking degree of violence. In fact, the movie includes scenes worthy of Tarantino in terms of what they show and imply.

Refn, who strode to international recognition with Bronson, which featured a stunning performance by Tom Hardy, brings a European sense of style to Drive. From the beginning, it's clear this is not a standard-order action film. It takes its characters as seriously as its chases, shootouts, and fights. Neither aspect is short-changed, and the music and cinematography are used to establish and sustain tone. This is a moody film, with moments of understated, dark humor and bleakness. Most importantly, it shows that movies can generate a testosterone-and-adrenaline cocktail without requiring viewers to undergo a frontal lobotomy to appreciate the result.

Such a remarkable film!
audreythomas25Feb 24, 2016
Drive is surprising in many ways, from its quietly spoken first act through its increasingly violent and unexpected trajectory.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-105251-Drive-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
LetMeInPleaseJan 7, 2016
About what is this movie? About what? About a "real hero"? It seems like director watched Tony Soprano's rant about "strong silent type" and decided to make a movie about it without thinking twice or even once. Would be nice to have atAbout what is this movie? About what? About a "real hero"? It seems like director watched Tony Soprano's rant about "strong silent type" and decided to make a movie about it without thinking twice or even once. Would be nice to have at least some background story on the main character because he is not perceived like a human being, more like some selfless cosmic entity in human form.
However, somewhat enjoyable flick if you watch it mindlessly.
FlickFreaks83Dec 11, 2015

FlamingBearNov 27, 2015
Drive was a movie that did deserve an Oscar for best soundtrack or editing. It was filled with genre at drama, violence, it was splendid for me, and one more thing to me it was kind of slow but still a great book and movie.
MarickJun 21, 2015
It is a very classic film for those years. Frames are beautiful and the story ok .
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

MrThehammer171May 7, 2015
everything about this movie is fantastic the acting, the story, the way its played out, the score, everything about this movie is just perfect they couldn't have done it any better I cant wait to see christphers next work
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015

This, immediately, is the world of ’80s Michael

This, immediately, is the world of ’80s Michael Mann movies, of A-game Walter Hill pictures, of William Friedkin’s style-drenched neo-noir To Live And Die In LA.

Post-credits, Drive hits the ground cruising as Ryan Gosling’s wheelman glides through an asphalt jungle in a classic Motor City machine, toothpick jutting from clenched teeth.

On the radio, a basketball game blips and burbles – a seemingly incidental detail that will prove key to the action. Driver (for that is the only name he’s given) works the gear shaft and feeds the wheel; his knuckles flex, his leather gloves creak.

Composed and confident, laconic and iconic, he’s about to prove he’s the best getaway driver in town…

Night and the city

Long considered a talented maverick whose spiky sensibility could never fit into square old Hollywood, Danish filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn (The Pusher Trilogy, Bronson) has here made an explosive action movie that got Cannes critics whooping in the aisles.

But don’t be fooled: a Cannes critic’s guilty ‘mainstream’ pleasure is a multiplex viewer’s art movie, and any jolting violence is cushioned by lush, low-key longueurs comprised of geometric cityscapes, abstract tableaux, striking camera angles, calibrated light and shadow, reflective surfaces, empty corridors and terse, economic exchanges full of syncopated beats.

There is, of course, a girl, and she even lives next door. Irene (Carey Mulligan) cares for her young son (Kaden Leos) while her husband (Oscar Isaac) does time. Driver, naturally, finds himself not only gravitating towards her but breaking all of his own rules to protect her.

It is for Irene, circuitously, that he takes on a pawn-shop heist that goes inevitably wrong, and she is the baggage that weighs down our previously unburdened, unemotional crim as he feels the heat around the corner.

Clichéd? Sure, only Refn and screenwriter Hossein Amini, adapting James Sallis’ book, play out the de rigueur romantic sub-plot in unexpected ways: Driver and Irene communicate largely in silence, their bond forged through shifting gazes and meaningful half-smiles (DoP Newton Thomas Sigel maps the human face as closely as downtown LA); and the film’s most swooningly romantic flourish precedes its most violent set-piece.

Star vehicle

It’s this clashing of moods and subverting of stereotypes that sets Drive’s engine purring, with Refn swerving between blazing daylight and silky night, between staple set-ups and offbeat outcomes, between familiar faces and surprising character traits (funnyman Albert Brooks ices blood as a Hollywood producer/ gangster), between glimmering helicopter shots and tyre-squealing ground-level chases, between crushed skulls and synth pop, between classic movies and Refn’s unique worldview.

It makes for a film both archetypal and fresh and, as such, it’s hard to put a pin through. Gosling wasn’t kidding when he described Drive as a mix of Blue Velvet and Purple Rain…

The cast is strong, from Mulligan’s serenely stoical princess (Drive can be read as an urban fairytale) to Bryan Cranston’s mechanic/fixer to Ron Perlman’s intimidating henchman.

But it is Gosling, along with Refn’s meticulous, dynamic direction, that is the star of the show, his tight-lipped turn evoking the cool charisma of Steve McQueen in Bullitt or Alain Delon in Le Samouraï.

Dressed in aviator shades, driving gloves and a satin racing jacket emblazoned, tellingly, with a scorpion, his Driver may be a blank-faced cut-out deprived of the barest hint of backstory, but he’s an intriguing, mesmerising blank-faced cut-out – the kind of amoral, dysfunctional anti-hero that so often becomes a poster boy.

Might he register as this generation’s Man With No Name, their Travis Bickle? Perhaps that’s going too far, but Gosling’s Hollywood-stuntman-by-day, getaway-driver-by-night is the stuff of fantasy, and his mysterious dispensation towards dishing Gaspar Noé levels of violence is exactly what got the Cannes viewers cheering.

The only thing to say is that Drive feels like some kind of masterpiece---it's as pure a version of the essentials as you're likely to see.
FilmMasterApr 21, 2015
By day, ‘Driver’ (Gosling) is a Hollywood stunt man, but by night he makes his real money in the criminal underworld as a top-flight getaway driver. When pretty but very married next-door neighbour Irene (Mulligan) is menaced by hoods, heBy day, ‘Driver’ (Gosling) is a Hollywood stunt man, but by night he makes his real money in the criminal underworld as a top-flight getaway driver. When pretty but very married next-door neighbour Irene (Mulligan) is menaced by hoods, he steps in to protect her and her little boy, only to find himself in an escalating conflict between the local thugs and the Mafia.

Our hero is nameless; as played by the ever-impressive Ryan Gosling, this tightly contained Hollywood stunt driver, sometimes called "the kid" by garage boss Bryan Cranston, is a closed book. All you really need to know about him comes in his first conversation with a married neighbor (Mulligan): "I drive," he states, the barest hint of a flirtation.

hen not strapped into his crash car, the guy also moonlights as a getaway wheelman---the film is about the moment when his luck begins to run out, via some bad company (Brooks, a stunningly potent villain) and a melting heart. Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson) has taken the opportunity to work in America and pushed it to delirious limits; his effort, a foreigner's impassioned take on '80s-synth-scored romance and highway mayhem, plays like the work of a student graduating with highest honors.

One of the best films ever made!
EddyGregsApr 19, 2015

Refn’s skills are not limited to artfully conceived bloodletting: an opening sequence in which our hero practises his trade, transporting a pair of thieves from their place of business to safety, dodging, parking and reversing, is a masterclass of cutting in which the precision of the editing matches that of the driving (and actually it’s far more exciting than the more conventional car chase later in the movie). Meanwhile Newton Thomas Sigel’s sheeny cinematography delivers gorgeous chopper shots of the neon-flecked night-time streets of LA and moody renderings of asphalt car parks, race-tracks and diners. The cumulative and exhilarating sensation is that Walter Hill or William Friedkin made an urban noir sometime back in 1986 and somehow you missed it (and it’s easily as good as The Driver or To Live And Die In LA).

stylish, ultra-violent fun one of the best films ever made!
EdwardGregoryApr 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As the camera scuds between twinkling skyscrapers in downtown LA, credits of the hottest pink light up a widescreen sky of the blackest velvet and a Euro-electro score pulses, pulses, pulses.

Night and the city

Star vehicle

Next up for Refn and Gosling is a re-run of 1976 action-sci-fi flick Logan’s Run. A $200m blockbuster? Just don’t expect it to play by studio rules…
VinceRocks123Apr 17, 2015
A raw performance by Ryan Gosling that will strip you away from his other heartthrob personality, Drive is a graphic tale of crime and redemption and responsibility of those around you with a stylish atmosphere that almost matches that ofA raw performance by Ryan Gosling that will strip you away from his other heartthrob personality, Drive is a graphic tale of crime and redemption and responsibility of those around you with a stylish atmosphere that almost matches that of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner but not that close.

Nicholas Winding Refn does a great job mushing his previous directing talent as shown in Bronson and makes a much stylish LA neo-noir drama of the modern age with lots of stellar driving and action sequences as well as a dark comeback performance by Albert Brooks
CameraBounceGodFeb 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fresh in my mind....I like how it almost seemed like the robber running out with the money would have to climb that fence....not sure why....Nice how the beginning chase isn't long and he walk right past them casually.....once again great song to end on and pretty cool overall feel to it....sorry that's all i h ave to say for now...- JRA Expand
GangialfFeb 15, 2015
If intended as a piece of art could be even appreciated, but the idea that in almost 100 minutes of movie people barely talk is at least insane.
Great actors but no plot whatsoever and a director that believes to be Stanley Kubrick.
This
This movie is painfully slow, but it would like to be an action movie as well; the style with which it has been edited is simply mental: splatter, slow motion, panoramas, a 50 minutes sunset scene, few seconds of action mixed all together creating the impression of an everlasting hiccup.
Why?Why?Why would you create something like this? Classic movie that the critic will generally enjoy even if it does not say anything and it is completely self-indulging.
Full Metal Jacket is a masterpiece, this is just pretentious crap.
ThegodfathersonFeb 11, 2015
Drive is a mashup of cool 80's music, car chases that simply wow and powerhouse art styles. It is a masterful creation. A rendering of the game Hotline Miami, but better. Ryan Gosling was spectacular in the lead, he played a quiet driver, whoDrive is a mashup of cool 80's music, car chases that simply wow and powerhouse art styles. It is a masterful creation. A rendering of the game Hotline Miami, but better. Ryan Gosling was spectacular in the lead, he played a quiet driver, who is in love with his neighbour, Irene played by Carey Mulligan in a great performance, who is married to a sadistic man, played by Oscar Issac. The amount of greatness is limited when writer Hossen Amini, doesn't put much in the movie, it is very short and falls low on many story elements. The graphic violence is unexpected and could have been layered, but it is a Refn joint anyway. Drive is a cool movie, it is a vibe of pop culture mixed with great star cast including, Christina Hendricks, Bryan Cranston and Ron Pearlman. Watch it. Expand
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Can't Make a Brain Omelete

Cheap-night Tuesday and the theatre is mostly empty. This won't have the legs to run two weeks. People walk out. Some can't wait to leave. This ain't no disco. This ain't no date movie. The worst piece of garbage I ever saw, someone mutters. Cold, brutal violence madly erupts from a sluggish plot. This ain't no party. This ain't no Notebook. Not a lot of so-called entertaining violence here. You can't cheer on the brutality. It's not fun. It's ugly and disgusting and still unreal. This ain't no fooling around. And when the driver, Goseling, an anti-social psychotic, maniacally stomps on the hit-man in the elevator to the song "Skull Crushing", then we see, as does his turned-on/horrified woman friend, just how compulsive, abject and contagious the violence is. This is a revenge movie without the romantic heroics. This is an insult to mindless escapism and to intelligence alike. And, although it delivers some interesting imagery and exceptional acting, it is ultimately a swollen-headed exercise in futility. Disingenuous and undignified. It could have been fa-fa-far better.
JamesCannonFeb 3, 2015
One of the best movies of the decade so far. Rehn director of the pusher trilogy, takes his grittiness and combines it with techno pop flare to create this bloody neon dream scape. Take its cue from another great movie about a man on theOne of the best movies of the decade so far. Rehn director of the pusher trilogy, takes his grittiness and combines it with techno pop flare to create this bloody neon dream scape. Take its cue from another great movie about a man on the edge of the law, Thief, this movie says so much with out saying much. From the perfect beginning sequence to the movie to the great Albert Brooks as the villain, this movie has so many great ideas its amazing. While I will admit it isnt perfect. Im still not a huge Gosling fan and Perlmen's character never really gels right, but this movie is a beast. 9 out of 10 Expand
Meth-dudeJan 31, 2015
Probably one of the best movie I have ever seen.Ryan Gosling is a great actor and he proves it in this movie.There is not a lot of action and this is not one of the best story for a movie but it was really good.
heathermJan 27, 2015
This was a really interesting movie that covered a lot of territory genre-wise. It felt like it was part-romance, part-chase movie, part mob-movie, and the last part was an intense revenge plot. We ended in a very different place than whatThis was a really interesting movie that covered a lot of territory genre-wise. It felt like it was part-romance, part-chase movie, part mob-movie, and the last part was an intense revenge plot. We ended in a very different place than what I was expecting, which was satisfying. The use of silence was amazing, as neither Ryan Gosling nor Carey Mulligan were talkative characters, but they still managed to communicate so much during their scenes together. Expand
QwertyPJMJan 5, 2015
Effortlessly cool with some of the best directing in the last 10 years, Drive is a film to go back to again and again. Similar to the also excellent 'Nightcrawler', in this film LA is normal during the day, yet seedy and dirty at night.Effortlessly cool with some of the best directing in the last 10 years, Drive is a film to go back to again and again. Similar to the also excellent 'Nightcrawler', in this film LA is normal during the day, yet seedy and dirty at night. Potentially the most stylised film I've watched, Drive drags you through a story of betrayal, greed and love that grabs attention throughout. The tension throughout is palpable and is constantly rising, with a main character in 'The Driver' is who expertly portrayed by Ryan Gosling in his best ever role. A true delight. Expand
CountvontrollioDec 13, 2014
boring, tepid fatuousness. Gosling is seriously psycho, in this unneccessarily violent film, that ultimately drives no one any where except around the bend. And then a lame love interest end act that is formulaic and redundant and made meboring, tepid fatuousness. Gosling is seriously psycho, in this unneccessarily violent film, that ultimately drives no one any where except around the bend. And then a lame love interest end act that is formulaic and redundant and made me think what the hell movie the critics were salivating over, because this surely wasn;t it. Terrible Expand
johnnymnecNov 30, 2014
This movie was among the best I have ever seen. Not because it develops a carefully crafted story around a man with no name, have some good action scenes here and there or the acting is great. It has all this but most importantly, theThis movie was among the best I have ever seen. Not because it develops a carefully crafted story around a man with no name, have some good action scenes here and there or the acting is great. It has all this but most importantly, the atmosphere is fantastic. The representation of darker Los Angeles, great soundtrack in the background combined with glaring visuals makes it an instant classic. Expand
heeldavidNov 22, 2014
Forget about Mr. Sexiest Man Alive, forget about the good looking boy from The Notebook. This Is Ryan Gosling at his best, his performance in Drive is intelligent and very underappreciated. They casted this film very well for the supportingForget about Mr. Sexiest Man Alive, forget about the good looking boy from The Notebook. This Is Ryan Gosling at his best, his performance in Drive is intelligent and very underappreciated. They casted this film very well for the supporting roles, Nicholas Winding Refn is one of Europe's most underrated filmmakers. Some people complain about the violence but I think that it made the film look more realistic Expand
DenisManuSep 6, 2014
Drive is marvelous!A truly misunderstood and meticulously crafted film full of incredibly lovable moments.With a beautiful soundtrack that captures the powerful emotions and the fantastic screenplay,this movie is nothing more than a masterpiece.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
A unique demonstration of entertainment through art, thrills and a whole lot of killer acting. Drive is an epic emotional tale that manages to take its audience on a ride much more memorable than most. Aside from exemplary direction fromA unique demonstration of entertainment through art, thrills and a whole lot of killer acting. Drive is an epic emotional tale that manages to take its audience on a ride much more memorable than most. Aside from exemplary direction from Nicolas Winding Refn, Ryan Gosling finds himself at his best as well. Expand
epiclucaAug 21, 2014
Whilst this movie is gripping from start to finish, the almost unbearable silence of Ryan Gosling's character does bring the movie down. He's mysterious, he gets the job done and speaks no word of it, but sometimes movies need dialogue. WithWhilst this movie is gripping from start to finish, the almost unbearable silence of Ryan Gosling's character does bring the movie down. He's mysterious, he gets the job done and speaks no word of it, but sometimes movies need dialogue. With boring character names such as "Standard" and "Irene" and a straightforward plot, there isn't much for them to talk about. However with a fantastic soundtrack and tantalizingly gory fight scenes, the movie is enjoyable to watch. Expand
ManToastMay 22, 2014
To me Drive is the sort of unique movie I prefer, but I realise that not everyone is of the same opinion, as many who saw this film in cinemas were expecting more intense action.

Prior to its release the film was said to be the ideal

Prior to its release the film was said to be the ideal combination of art house and action but audiences were torn, either hating its lack of thrills or loving its iconic simplicity. I personally think the ‘80s retro tone caters perfectly to the iconic style the director was clearly going for, but that doesn’t change the fact that this film was mistakenly advertised as a blood-pumping thriller. There are only two car chases and a handful of deaths which is surprisingly low for a supposed thriller lasting an hour and a half. In reality its slow pacing, artistic camera visuals and iconic aesthetic make it an artsy neo-noir throwback.

This is all the more enhanced by its ideally suited features and symbolic nature. The soundtrack for instance is almost completely ethereal Electro, feeding that ‘80s retro theme throughout and showing that paced visuals combined with correctly selected music can work equally as well as lengthy dialogue, adapting the film’s tone to the state of the characters onscreen as a means of unconventional storytelling.

Despite the lack of dialogue however, the characters and the relations between are interesting and not without proper progression. Gosling’s character as a simple but violently deadly driver was strangely appealing but unnerving as the movie goes on. I thought the most refreshing relationship in the film was the relationship between Gosling’s character and the love interest’s son. Even with the Driver’s apparent lack of depth as a person, he is shown to greatly care about his neighbour and her son and willing to risk his life for them. Whilst caring for the love interest is nothing particularly unique, the fact that this film focuses a little more on the protagonist caring for a boy is surprising at the least, especially considering the movie’s neo-noir aim. It gives me the impression that the director really wanted to make a film as iconic and gritty as it is uniquely soothing.

The fact that this film was not the extreme action-packed thrill ride it was advertised to be was annoying for many at release but perfectly fine by me, as what we got instead was a visually appealing tale of vengeance and grit, tailored for fans of the neo-noir genre.
googolendtimesMay 2, 2014
"Drive", from Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn, feels like a love letter to film noir and crime thrillers of years past. It is an unabashedly entertaining thrill ride, free of pretensions. Refn displays an astonishing talent behind the"Drive", from Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn, feels like a love letter to film noir and crime thrillers of years past. It is an unabashedly entertaining thrill ride, free of pretensions. Refn displays an astonishing talent behind the camera. The way in which he executes violence is brilliant; the film features more than its fair share of noirish gore, both audaciously stylized and subdued. There is enough substance to match the style. Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan and Albert Brooks give high grade performances; Gosling proffers his character with a uniquely laconic charisma, Mulligan is softly poignant and Brooks is a chilling evocation of ruthless cunning and dastardly cowardice as the antagonist. Its storyline accomplishes being sleek and aloof, yet also quite involving; this is largely, in my opinion, down to the nostalgic feeling with which Refn instills proceedings, lending the film an eerily tender heart amid its thrills and gore. I loved "Drive". I'd definitely recommend it. Expand
JorjiCostavaApr 20, 2014
A decent, ultraviolent film. The plot was a bit confusing, but Gosling's acting is excellent and the fim features great car chases and heartfelt moments. Still a bit boring though.
AllenReviewsMar 28, 2014
Drive is a masterpiece, Its one of the best directed movies, Its beautifully shot and its very well acted, And has deeper meanings that the average viewer might miss, This is my favourite film of all time.
TheBinarySurferMar 9, 2014
Watched this for the first time recently. An absolute masterpiece, music, setting, story, script, dialogue (wonderfully and deliberately understated) and the 'action' scenes have a very Michael Mann (Collateral-Heat).

Don't get me wrong:

Don't get me wrong: this film bears little resemblance to either movie except for it's approach to dialogue. For example the chase scene at the start features a whole 3 lines of dialogue, but the suspense is incredible. This movie really understands that to build tension you don't need the world at stake or ever-bigger explosions: it's all about perspective, pauses and consequences.

Also the film is filled with symbolism and metaphor that is mostly quite subtle and cues you in as to the character's emotional state: for example the Scorpion on the back of his 'working' jacket ties into the old parable about that creature and the Frog. There's also this wonderful moment in the elevator just prior to a brutal, violent murder where you can just see the character start to come apart visibly. The violence is brutal, almost B-movie (ish) but all again for a purpose there are no 'gratuitous' violent scenes: all serve a purpose.

Gosling is perfectly cast in this, and the art / style direction is meticulous and poignant at every turn: nothing, NOTHING is done accidentally in this movie or 'just because'. I found myself re-watching 2 more times after the first, seeing it with new eyes and picking up on all the little bits. All the critic awards and accolades it won it deserves and more. I for one will be closely watching the future projects of all involved.

Almost forgot: the soundtrack is incredible. Some will rail against the 80's feeling it has to it, but again it's both perfectly fitting to what happens on-screen and furthermore all the song lyrics tie into the characters. The writing of the 'bad guys' was great also: little is done 'just because', they feel like people with their own problems and issues, and don't simply go after the Driver because 'they're evil' or any such nonsense that we've come to expect from cinema.

My ONLY criticism is this: the chase scenes are fantastic, but they are just too short / not enough of them. I'm not expecting them to turn it into a massive long scene, and I wouldn't want them to compromise quality for quantity, but a few more seconds apiece would be great.
CanemMar 3, 2014
Very, very slow paced movie and overall very boring to watch. A few good scenes here and there are not enough to save this movie from being tedious to watch.
fiora95Jan 10, 2014
"You have five minutes. " Gosling is simply the best nowadays, in cinema. This movie is good made. The story is witty and brilliant one. Very very nice film. Everybody has to watch it. Everybody has to wath Drive!!
Jack97Jan 1, 2014
It's not the action film the trailer promised but that's not really bad as Drive has smoothly timed violence, great performances and an amazing soundtrack. People might be put off by the pacing though.
b0mbardiniNov 15, 2013
Overrated, too slow, predictable, tries too hard, and even the acting was poor. There was nothing good except for the first scene. Terrible movie.
MovieGuysSep 15, 2013
Overly violent without cause, and with a clunky script, Drive is a bad movie disguised as a masterpiece. This love-it-or-hate-it movie could've been so much better. And one question: did Ryan Gosling every move a facial muscle in this movie???
TokyochuchuSep 14, 2013
Drive is a unique and unforgettable action-drama. The film uses beautiful cinematography, minimal dialogue, subtle acting and shockingly graphic violence to create something truly special. On paper, it should just be a run-of-the-mill actionDrive is a unique and unforgettable action-drama. The film uses beautiful cinematography, minimal dialogue, subtle acting and shockingly graphic violence to create something truly special. On paper, it should just be a run-of-the-mill action B-movie. But ascendant vision has turned it into a dignified, cathartic masterpiece. Drive ranks right up there with the likes of Alien and The Crow in the category of 'movies that should have been bad but are somehow unbelievably great'. Expand
askewglassesAug 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I first heard about this movie at the beginning of 2012 and have wanted to see it ever since. And after seeing it, my expectations were fulfilled entirely. The romance between the driver and his neighbour is rather touching, and it really made wish for a happy ending. The driving scenes are just as good as they get, high speeds, crashes, it's got everything. But what I didn't quite expect was how this movie could go from touching to disturbing in an instant. But that just makes it that much more of an interesting film. The music was also very good and made it feel as it was almost an 80s action or crime movie. A touching, gory, action-packed movie that I believes deserves more credit than its earned. Expand
DezuuuJul 31, 2013
Incredibly stylish, brilliant acting and a strong plot. Unique, yet recognizable. It has some very memorable scenes and a great soundtrack, and is truly the best film of 2011.
flavJul 13, 2013
The movie is silent however shows intense scenes throughout it without many words. Ryan Gosling, Bryan Cranston, and the grandpa from weeds is in it, i forgot his name lol Great Movie!
ORCSandDRAGONSJul 10, 2013
This film is a classic for me already. Gosling is superb here and he doesn't even speak that much throughout the whole movie. He makes an impact with emotion not words. The opening scene has to be one of the best I've seen in a movie in aThis film is a classic for me already. Gosling is superb here and he doesn't even speak that much throughout the whole movie. He makes an impact with emotion not words. The opening scene has to be one of the best I've seen in a movie in a LONG time. The soundtrack is also great. Overall this movie has something magical about it and that kind of magic is missing from most films today. Expand
TriniDiddyJun 27, 2013
I always rate movies by their genre, and this one deserves a 6.5 or 7. The direct did a great job and the cast did a great job. The movie is very slow starting off but it has this compelling characteristic to it. You just know the whole time,I always rate movies by their genre, and this one deserves a 6.5 or 7. The direct did a great job and the cast did a great job. The movie is very slow starting off but it has this compelling characteristic to it. You just know the whole time, that SOMETHING is going to happen and you are so willing to wait for it. When the action starts, it doesn't stop until its all over. Pretty cool movie overall. I also really appreciated the sound track, super well done. I am giving high scores on the audio work, music, casting, acting, directing, and compelling quality the movie had. Expand
drlowdonJun 9, 2013
Stunt performer and part-time getaway driver a man known only as ‘The Driver’ (Gosling) finds himself falling for his cute next door neighbour Irene. Soon he is forced to protect her by helping her ex-con husband pull off a robbery. Of courseStunt performer and part-time getaway driver a man known only as ‘The Driver’ (Gosling) finds himself falling for his cute next door neighbour Irene. Soon he is forced to protect her by helping her ex-con husband pull off a robbery. Of course things fail to go according to plan and ‘Driver’ finds himself in deep with notorious local gangsters.

From the slick opening scene Drive maintains a well measured narrative pace that only serves to make the movies scenes of action and (graphic) violence all the more powerful. Gosling’s restrained performance alongside ever reliable performers such as Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks and Ron Pearlman also further serve to make an effortlessly cool and fantastically watchable film.
pixelgrowerJun 8, 2013
A very bad cowboys movie with a script at best uninteresting a beautiful cinematography and a horrible soundtrack. Just realized this movie looks in fact like a celebrity of our decade nice looking, nothing to say, bad taste.
Take-it-from-meMay 28, 2013
I have noticed (and take it from me, I have been listening) that the people who dislike this film prefer movies such as 'the fast and furious' or even the usual stallone or van damn movie. They deem those movies to be true action flicks. II have noticed (and take it from me, I have been listening) that the people who dislike this film prefer movies such as 'the fast and furious' or even the usual stallone or van damn movie. They deem those movies to be true action flicks. I disagree. This film is paced to leave each hit painful and the soundtrack keeps the watcher engulfed in the world of the driver. A great film, I have seen it enough times to be sure it deserves a ten. Expand
UtopianStuffMay 28, 2013
Drive is an extremely artsy semi noir movie that entertains to no end. I loved the move, its plot was amazing and its actors were flawless. The only thing I can take away from this movie is its ultra violence which at points seemsDrive is an extremely artsy semi noir movie that entertains to no end. I loved the move, its plot was amazing and its actors were flawless. The only thing I can take away from this movie is its ultra violence which at points seems unessassary. But all in all, the movie is exciting as hell and a truly amazing thrill ride. If you don't like violent movies however, you may want to pass on this one. I loved it! Expand
jzmeApr 30, 2013
An amazing, beautiful, dreamlike movie. So good that it pinned me down to my seat and got me captivated the whole time. Personally, everything was perfect, from the music tracks, script, story line, acting & ending. It's like a roller coasterAn amazing, beautiful, dreamlike movie. So good that it pinned me down to my seat and got me captivated the whole time. Personally, everything was perfect, from the music tracks, script, story line, acting & ending. It's like a roller coaster ride, you get anxious, scared, shocked, sad, touched and happy all at once. What a journey! Ryan Gosling and the rest of the casts were simply amazing. They were just so real and into characters. I believed everything that's happened. A non cliche, different & outstanding movie. A must watch for all! Expand
BrianMcCriticApr 30, 2013
Drive is a perfect film. From the acting to the look of the film to the soundtrack this film is one of my favorites of the year. I appreciate the art house feel, but I also appreciate that there is the perfect amount of action as well.
MadIvanoApr 25, 2013
One of the stylistically greatest films of all time. The cinematography, colors, theme and music fit together to create a picture that could be easilly summed up in one word: Mirage. With the style being the movies biggest asset and the manyOne of the stylistically greatest films of all time. The cinematography, colors, theme and music fit together to create a picture that could be easilly summed up in one word: Mirage. With the style being the movies biggest asset and the many memorable scenes the biggest flaw are the characters. None of them are given much focus exscept for Ryan Goslings character. We are supposed to interpret them ourselves but it feels like they simply fall short and could have been given more screen time. Also worth mentioning is the Tarantino-esque violence, it's simply awesome to watch. Expand
OneSamTwoCupsApr 25, 2013
Commonly mistaken as a testosterone-driven film by the trailer, Drive is a beautifully crafted art house film that creates a genre of it's own. Although it takes place in modern day, Drive gives off a very strong 80s vibe. The soundtrack, theCommonly mistaken as a testosterone-driven film by the trailer, Drive is a beautifully crafted art house film that creates a genre of it's own. Although it takes place in modern day, Drive gives off a very strong 80s vibe. The soundtrack, the cinematography, and Ryan Gosling make this one of the best movies to ever come out in the last ten years. Drive is definitely a movie most art and film students will be studying in the near future. Be careful though, if you expect a Transporter style movie, you will come up short. Expand
AutiTakahashiApr 23, 2013
One scene that defines the stylish and disciplined vigor of "Drive" transpires inside a slim, narrow elevator. Our heroes enter the elevator; the doors slam shut. By the time they open again, we have been taken through a hint of suspense, aOne scene that defines the stylish and disciplined vigor of "Drive" transpires inside a slim, narrow elevator. Our heroes enter the elevator; the doors slam shut. By the time they open again, we have been taken through a hint of suspense, a moment of intimacy, and finally, a burst of ultra-violence. That the movie was able to depict and contain three different moods in a limited space and time astounds me. This is the rare kind of movie that fully values its existence, using every second of its running time for its benefit.

"Drive" stars Ryan Gosling, the Oscar-nominated actor who was given more international appreciation in his previous work as Jacob Palmer in "Crazy, Stupid, Love". Here, a name eludes him as promotions only refer to his character as "Driver". The inquisitive effect of a screen name like Driver reminds us of Edward Norton's character in Fight Club, who was only identified in the credits as "Narrator". Both evoke the same aura of ambiguity, although the Gosling character is more subtle and composed.

Driver's professional and personal life is centered around cars. He occupies the role of a stunt driver for the movies. He also works as a mechanic, fixing cars when he's not flipping them on set. Beyond that, he also participates in robberies by agreeing to be the getaway driver. Driving seems to keep Driver occupied. He hardly ever speaks. Ask him a question, and his words halt after the answer is given. There are not more than two instances in the entire film where he speaks three sentences in a row. His quiet nature strays away from conventional personalities and takes us to a person so perplexing, even his fellow characters join the audience in trying to understand him.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/drive-movie-review/
Gaston17Apr 10, 2013
Had a hard time watching it. So slow and boring, endless scenes with background music. It looks like and independent film, if you hate these, please don't watch it.
crookomasterApr 9, 2013
'Drive' puts aside fairy-tale plots, and excessive CGI and in-turn replaces them with 'real' characters, and a real-life, believable story; and still succeeds. Accompanied by an incredible soundtrack, 'Drive' is a movie as close to perfect,'Drive' puts aside fairy-tale plots, and excessive CGI and in-turn replaces them with 'real' characters, and a real-life, believable story; and still succeeds. Accompanied by an incredible soundtrack, 'Drive' is a movie as close to perfect, that you are ever likely to see. Expand
CtheTavApr 8, 2013
This film oozes 80's from the very beginning with great music and titles setting the tone of the film and telling you this is gonna be a great looking film. The direction is amazing in every way the romance seems genuine, there is clearThis film oozes 80's from the very beginning with great music and titles setting the tone of the film and telling you this is gonna be a great looking film. The direction is amazing in every way the romance seems genuine, there is clear tension on screen when the plot calls for it. The driving scenes wouldn't look out of place in a hollywood blockbuster and the physical scenes are brutally graphic with fantastic use of slow motion in each used to great effect. I felt the direction and the driver character are intertwined; very reserved for the most part then losing control for brief periods of time. The entire film is just great not needing to have constant exposition or explanation and simply having characters share a look instead. The story is devilishly simple yet so enthralling whilst not necessarily having to speed the plot along to the resolution too fast.
Rating 10 out of 10
It is in this films nature to be fantastic
Eon2323Apr 4, 2013
The dynamic and visual punch of this film hits hard as we see the Driver make his way through the concrete-laden streets of Los Angeles. The cinematography in this movie is on another level as well is the soundtrack. Nicolas Winding RefnThe dynamic and visual punch of this film hits hard as we see the Driver make his way through the concrete-laden streets of Los Angeles. The cinematography in this movie is on another level as well is the soundtrack. Nicolas Winding Refn formulates an interesting mix of silence and violence throughout the movie that works surprisingly well. The hard-hitting gritty violence fuses exceptionally well with the score courtesy of Cliff Martinez. The flaws presented with the Driver as well throughout the film just resonate with not only the type of person he is but also what this film has become: a real hero. Expand
TuozeApr 3, 2013
One of the best movies I have watched. It offers everything from romance to car chases and brutal violence. I mean how much can you ask from motion picture? I have watched this two times now.
StevenFMar 20, 2013
Drive ditches the dramatic flash and the over the top action for a smooth, small but fine piece of cinema that surprised me after it ended, leaving a smile ear to ear.
Ryan Gosling stars in a very unique lead role, this guy barely says a
Ryan Gosling stars in a very unique lead role, this guy barely says a word the entire film, seriously, like five or six sentences this man speaks, but its his actions which, in this case, speak louder than words.
Gosling plays an unnamed driver, who is a Hollywood stunt driver by day, and a hired getaway driver by night. He leads a very lonesome and care free life, that id until he meets Irene (Carey Mulligan) who lives in the same apartment block as him, he soon takes on a job from Irene's convicted husband, Standard, after a man Standard owes money to threatens Irene and her son.
Bryan Cranston clocks in a small yet very different (from Walter White) role as mechanic Shannon, who the driver works for, he sets the driver up with a job offering his services to Bernie (Albert Brooks) and Nino (Ron Perlman), mob bosses.
Drive will not appeal to everyones style or taste, but it is certainly a different sort of film that is difficult not to appreciate, slow paced, yes, but with good reason, why should it go out and copy all the the action flicks with no brain, this film has plenty of brain and thought-provoking scenarios, the first scene involving a getaway, most films would go with the high speed car chase along the highway, Drive, on the other hand, deals in the low key affair of evading where possible, flicking the lights off and pulling in behind another parked car etc.
The film makes no attempt to bel flashy and go for glitz, and this is truly a welcome change to a familiar concept, Gosling is a cold yet calculating anti-hero, never attempting to break form his routine life, he is simplistic in his delivery but willing to get his hands dirty when the time comes.
There are moments in the film that are just silence, and silence is golden, as these scenes truly outline the capability of of these young stars, Irene never seems to be truly sure of the driver, yet trusts him at every turn, and Shannon sees him as a son, again never really knowing just what he is capable of, it plays with the human insecurity of trusts, and hits it head on with the unnerving stare of the driver.
A grounded yet sophisticated crime film, with all the realism and gritty scenarios of LA, Drive is certainly one of the most underrated films to appear in the last several years, and is a truly powerful story of power and love.
thedoktorjFeb 1, 2013
Absolutely the best film of 2011! I just finished watching this movie for the second time, after almost a year in between. I purposely delayed a second viewing, thinking there was no way it could stand up to the sheer exhilaration I feltAbsolutely the best film of 2011! I just finished watching this movie for the second time, after almost a year in between. I purposely delayed a second viewing, thinking there was no way it could stand up to the sheer exhilaration I felt the first time I watched it, but I was wrong.
This movie is unlike anything else I have ever seen. The opening sequence of Driver performing his job, has a perfect musical score, and the way that the entire sequence follows the plays of the baseball game on the radio, up to and including the first of many beautiful and unexpected moments mini-climaxes are the first indications of this movies graceful, almost shy, but still intense perfection. Many have called Driver (the unnamed protagonist) emotionless, but they clearly lack any understanding of the subtle shyness and think first speak later mentality that comes from being a lonely hermit. Driver is a true hero, as the beautiful musical score states. He is an archetype sorely missing in today's era of morally relative anti-heroes. Not that I don't love the typical anti-hero, but despite the multiple grisly murders that Driver performs throughout the second half of the film, there is never any doubting his purity and heroic nature. In the end, this is a film of contradiction. A gritty violent crime drama mixed with a subtle, shy, and tender love story. Brief but explosive action mixed into moments of pure serenity. Slow detail oriented drama building to a climax of murder, mayhem, and old school cowboy heroics. I simply don't understand how anyone could find this masterpiece of modern cinema to be anything short of perfection. Drive is the closest thing to perfection you are likely to find on Netflix or Blu-Ray any time soon, so just go watch it. You won't regret it.
Jailhouse_McGeeJan 30, 2013
"Drive" is style over substance, but it's great style! The plot is not to complex, but the cinematography, camera, score, atmosphere, pacing and actors are absolutely fantastic. Every scene is so intense, you practically feel the movie."Drive" is style over substance, but it's great style! The plot is not to complex, but the cinematography, camera, score, atmosphere, pacing and actors are absolutely fantastic. Every scene is so intense, you practically feel the movie. "Drive" is perfectly edited and paced, building up tension out of thin air. If it escalates, it really escalates, and makes you jump out of your seat. A stylish, dense, violent crime drama you just have to see. The second the credits rolled, I wanted to watch it again. Expand
nowayout233Jan 22, 2013
ryan´s performance is the best. In my opinion this is the best thriller drama of 2011. the movie is slow but it's exciting and tense and the chemistry between Carey and Ryan is the best
sanyrubJan 18, 2013
Do you know that feeling when you barely know anything about the film you are going to watch because nobody has told you anything and because from the trailer you don´t know what to expect, if greatness or mediocrity... and then theDo you know that feeling when you barely know anything about the film you are going to watch because nobody has told you anything and because from the trailer you don´t know what to expect, if greatness or mediocrity... and then the result is an excellent film? Do you know that feeling? This is what happens with Drive. From the first minute I knew I was going to like it. With just the first 10 minutes (some car scenes and the credits) I was in. I loved it. Perfect pace. Great performances. Funny how these films with quiet characters say more than many other films with lots of dialogue. Ryan Gosling is perfect in the film. I give it a 8/10 Expand
WiesyJan 18, 2013
This movie is one of the best movies of 2011 i've ever seen. There is a good story and very good cast.
I give drive a nine because I found the beginning very slowly, But it is a nice movie :-)
jfrotylpe532Jan 13, 2013
After watching this film I realized that this guy really knows how to make an action film. The scenes were timed perfectly,Ryan Gosling & Albert Brooks & Bryan Cranston had good performances,and after awhile youy forget what the plot even is.
Nesbitt10Jan 2, 2013
"Drive" seamlessly shifts from first into fourth gear, just a bit slow out of the gate, and never quite kicks into fifth. "Drive" is the story of a Hollywood stunt driver (Ryan Gosling) by day, who offers his specialized abilities as a"Drive" seamlessly shifts from first into fourth gear, just a bit slow out of the gate, and never quite kicks into fifth. "Drive" is the story of a Hollywood stunt driver (Ryan Gosling) by day, who offers his specialized abilities as a getaway driver-for-hire in the criminal underworld by night. He finds himself a target after agreeing to aid the husband of his beautiful neighbor, Irene (Carey Mulligan). When the job falls apart, the only way he can keep Irene and her son alive is to do what he does best-Drive.
"Drive" is a fine action/thriller film that is light on the storyline and dialog (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and heavy on highly-stylized action scenes with intense moments of violence. Ryan Gosling is fantastic as usual, but I cannot get past Albert Brooks part as a complete miscast. Perhaps expectations were too high going into the viewing, because outside of Ryan's performance, I just don't think there is anything really special here.
axelkochDec 29, 2012
A perfect motion picture. It's not about a serial killer, it's about a mysterious man who gets involved into a crime that makes him to a (very brutal) serial killer. This guy seems abstracted, somewhat even retarded, but Ryan Gosling playsA perfect motion picture. It's not about a serial killer, it's about a mysterious man who gets involved into a crime that makes him to a (very brutal) serial killer. This guy seems abstracted, somewhat even retarded, but Ryan Gosling plays him condignly human. These moments when he stares into blankness are stunning, just because of the beautiful cinematography and the awesome soundtrack (this is one of the best movie scores of all time, for what it's worth). Drive captivates you ab initio and doesn't even stop after the movie is finished. It makes you think about beguilement and the craziness of people and that gets exhibited radically explicit. But on the other hand the movie isn't specialized on character sketches or telling long rigmaroles, it only shows you what is absolutely necessary. Oscar nominations for cinematography, production design, score, original song and maybe also editing would have been just. And not to forget the acting, which is also great and absolutely fits the film. I personally love Drive and I can't find anything that disappoints me with this movie. Expand
b-radDec 20, 2012
Drive pulls off a successful blend of intense violence and an artistic style of filmmaking. Not your average action flick.
llapollollDec 17, 2012
Conciseness is often a form of skill, and "Drive" is the epitome of that. Take a movie like the Godfather, cut it in half, make it more coherent and artistic and this is what you get. "Drive" is the greatest crime movie ever made, it hangs onConciseness is often a form of skill, and "Drive" is the epitome of that. Take a movie like the Godfather, cut it in half, make it more coherent and artistic and this is what you get. "Drive" is the greatest crime movie ever made, it hangs on the edge of presenting a story so black and white, yet contains elements conveying the complexity of the characters. Too much use of dialogue makes a film seem scripted, and an obviously structured piece of media, "Drive" removes those cliches, and in offering much less, gives so much more. The lack of speaking allows you to fill in the pieces using common sense as the characters are so empathetic and so human. The casting itself mirrors that of the dialogue, no A-list celebrities are used, but we see familiar talented faces; this gives us the same sense of distancing that the dialogue gave us, but just enough there's a previous connection built to help us relate. One could go on and on about the soundtrack as well, the best I've heard in almost any movie. While almost being an action movie, "Drive" busts out stunts and intense action scenes to change the pace, however it's not blatant mainstream action at all, violence is far and few between, but so hard hitting it makes your stomach queasy, reminding you of the brutality people can live in real life. The simplicity of the movie is its strongest quality; and it doesn't need to be marked as "artsy" or "European", "Drive" is a breath of fresh air being a like a basic painting that allows your imagination to interpret it your own way like true art does. Expand
CmeNOWsoFLYiiDec 15, 2012
No complications, simple & been done plenty of times. The basic plot is the same as loads of films yet this stands head over heals better than them all. It's beautiful yet violent, Gsling in magnificent & has proved himself to be one ofNo complications, simple & been done plenty of times. The basic plot is the same as loads of films yet this stands head over heals better than them all. It's beautiful yet violent, Gsling in magnificent & has proved himself to be one of Hollywoods best & brightest & could eventually be in the same league as De Niro & co. this film is a classic & one of my all time favourites. Expand
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
Stylish and unique! One of the absolute best films of 2011. Robbed in virtually every category at the Oscars last year. A cult film that's sure to be a modern classic in time.
FrannieLWDec 4, 2012
Hyper stylized can be done well with real purpose. Unfortunately, in regards to Drive, it can be done so wrong that it becomes laughable. I was unconvinced by the characters motives and feelings and honestly didn't care about any of them. TheHyper stylized can be done well with real purpose. Unfortunately, in regards to Drive, it can be done so wrong that it becomes laughable. I was unconvinced by the characters motives and feelings and honestly didn't care about any of them. The plot had a good structure, but was really blown to bits by the director's ego. The cinematography was wonderful though so at least it had something going for it. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
"Drive" proves to be a brutal drama, featuring a great performance from Ryan Gosling and carrying a uniquely slick and quiet, yet fierce atmosphere.
DarkKnightG4Nov 28, 2012
With elegant backdrops, focused camera-work, an amazing soundtrack, and immensely slow, but intense, moments; Drive is definetly an "artsy" film. However, this is not a typical artsy-fartsy film. It doesn't stop short by only providing theWith elegant backdrops, focused camera-work, an amazing soundtrack, and immensely slow, but intense, moments; Drive is definetly an "artsy" film. However, this is not a typical artsy-fartsy film. It doesn't stop short by only providing the previously mentioned characteristics, it uses them as a foundation and builds upon them. Ryan Gosling does a great job at playing a perplexing character that you are never quite sure of. The gentle and caring nature conveyed by Gosling really makes you want to root for him as a hero(anti-hero), however, there is a explosive violence bottled in him that makes you step back and wonder how far he would/could really go. These outbursts provide for some very intense scenes that quite memorable. All of the supporting actors are great and play their roles well. There's a definite "cool" factor to the movie that is just hard to explain, but get a hold of the soundtrack and cruise through town to it and you'll catch my drift - just don't break any laws! :) There are some long pauses in dialogue between the Driver and the love interest, but I was not turned off by it and found it to actually be more convincing of that awkward true love moment than how others interpret it. Also, if you don't know or understand the fable The Scorpion and the Frog, then you're might be missing the integral part of the story. I actually was unaware of this fable, but I had a feeling that a key scene where the Driver mentions it had more meaning then was blatantly conveyed, so I looked it up afterwards. I recommend reading the fable before seeing the movie as it summarizes the tortured nature of the Driver. I almost wish they would have showed the fable in text at the very beginning of the movie. Expand
KaiWyvernNov 26, 2012
Artistically, the film is impressive. However, I wouldn't recommend watching it with friends as a casual movie night thing. It's more of a film to be appreciated for its cinematography rather than its plot.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
Drive is how action films should be. It's quiet, elegant, and then it floors you. Ryan Gosling delivers a stone cold and determined performance without saying a word.
benjiboiOct 24, 2012
Drive is a rare film; one beautiful in cinematography, rich in atmospheric sound (its soundtrack being one of the greatest in filmmaking history), graphic in its portrayal of violence and utterly unique in its abstract direction. TheDrive is a rare film; one beautiful in cinematography, rich in atmospheric sound (its soundtrack being one of the greatest in filmmaking history), graphic in its portrayal of violence and utterly unique in its abstract direction. The storyline is simple (yet utterly compelling) and, in the hands of Nicholas Winding Refn, it is transformed into an artform, devoid of many words but rich in character. Expand