4.8

1. Jan 3, 2015
    Visually, this movie isn't the best of the kind. The plot, too, is stumbling along. But then again, why to complain? The characters are funny and not too obvious, the events take you with to a nice jolly ride. For the players, this movie tells no doubt more than to the random watchers like me. Like, the ending confuses me...
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    There is very little good I can say about this movie. Acting on the whole is either very bad or too over the top (I?m looking at you Irons.) I will compliment the movie for at least trying to capture the Dungeon & Dragons atmosphere and lore, and to be fair some of the creature effects are pretty decent. Set design and wardrobe also pretty top notch too. But regardless, this movie is justThere is very little good I can say about this movie. Acting on the whole is either very bad or too over the top (I?m looking at you Irons.) I will compliment the movie for at least trying to capture the Dungeon & Dragons atmosphere and lore, and to be fair some of the creature effects are pretty decent. Set design and wardrobe also pretty top notch too. But regardless, this movie is just a huge steaming pile of dog crap. A real shame as you can see that the production crew were trying.

Overall:
    A real, real shame. From the set pieces to the effects team it could have been great. But such a putrid script and piss poor acting from the cast, it can not be saved. I can not even say that its so bad that its good. No, its not. Its just bad. Period!
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    This is one of those movies that is so bad that it's awesome. The overacting is hilarious, the CG is laughably bad, and the characters are completely out of place for the setting. This is definitely worth watching if your looking for a bad movie to laugh at and make fun of.
  4. Nov 20, 2011
    It's so terrible it's funny...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  5. Nov 6, 2010
    a major disappointment for a video game adaptation.
  6. KevinG.
    Jan 23, 2008
    I enjoyed the movie. It had the remnant redeeming qualities of a bad 80's sci-fi or fantasy movie, which I love. The story isn't terrible, the acting is pretty good (Save for Jeremy Irons completely overacted, even for a maniacal genius, role.
  7. samtam90
    Apr 19, 2007
    Pros: Jeremy Irons' performance, some D&D elements were nice, it's (quasi-)decent for an action/adventure movie Cons: everything else; basically, calling this a D&D movie is ridicolous.
  8. Monica
    Sep 6, 2006
    The only film that I ever walked out on and demanded my money back. Just awful.
  9. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    I consider this the second worst film I have ever seen, next to the Garbage Pail Kids thing that was direct to video (when I was a kid). This is THE worst game to film adaptation of all time, bar none, and it's a genre filled with mediocre crap. There is no acting in this film. None. It's like a bunch of high school students set up a V-8 cam and did improv to a D&D campaign of I consider this the second worst film I have ever seen, next to the Garbage Pail Kids thing that was direct to video (when I was a kid). This is THE worst game to film adaptation of all time, bar none, and it's a genre filled with mediocre crap. There is no acting in this film. None. It's like a bunch of high school students set up a V-8 cam and did improv to a D&D campaign of their own device. The music is dull and generic. The special effects are as cheesy as anything I have ever seen in CGI. The plot just isn't there, it isn't there at all, likely hiding in shame in one of those dungeons the heroes never really visit. Expand
  10. BobS.
    Aug 1, 2006
    It was really cool. Not the best but cool. The specail effect were good in spite of everyone else's comments.
  11. MarkS.
    Jul 5, 2006
    This was real bad. When snails died and the lead actor went to his knees screaming noo, I was embarrased to be sitting through the performance.
  12. GioR.
    Mar 5, 2006
    This movie is only funny/cool if u have ur friends watching it with u making funny comments!!! If not, u can take it to the supreme court for cruel and unusual punishment.
  13. Jiachi
    Dec 14, 2005
    This movie was/is poorly done. I'm not making fun of if it actually did have a low budget or anything, but come on. The acting stank, the script stank, money put into CGI effects had been much too heavily invested into the wrong ones, and to top it all off, it was FAR off from the source material. The fact I even gave it a 1/10 is due to the *cough*fumes*cough laughing gas put off by This movie was/is poorly done. I'm not making fun of if it actually did have a low budget or anything, but come on. The acting stank, the script stank, money put into CGI effects had been much too heavily invested into the wrong ones, and to top it all off, it was FAR off from the source material. The fact I even gave it a 1/10 is due to the *cough*fumes*cough laughing gas put off by this dung heap, and even there I am feeling like it being a bit too generous (fumes must be wearing off). I would say more, and even push into strong details, but it would be easier to simply tell you to look elsewhere if I have not convinced you of the scent it excreates. Expand
  14. DavidF.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Wow, what a movie! The acting was beyond anything I had seen before and the story was FANTASTIC! Forget the Lord of the Rings trilogy- this is what special effects should look like! On several occasions I had to rub my eyes in disbelief-the dragons looked real! I'm amazed that such a talented actor like Jeremy Irons hasnt managed to slip up yet- Dungeons and Dragons is yet another Wow, what a movie! The acting was beyond anything I had seen before and the story was FANTASTIC! Forget the Lord of the Rings trilogy- this is what special effects should look like! On several occasions I had to rub my eyes in disbelief-the dragons looked real! I'm amazed that such a talented actor like Jeremy Irons hasnt managed to slip up yet- Dungeons and Dragons is yet another jem in his filmography crown........brilliant. I also loved the costumes- they didnt take themselves too seriously and the locations- although very low budget and tacky, blew my mind! If I had to nominate just one film to take the title of 'Film of the Decade' it would be 'Mortal Kombat Anihilation' but 'Dungeons and Dragons' would be a close second!- Awesome. Expand
  15. NickB
    Jun 3, 2005
    Not the worst movie ever made in the genre, and probably about as entertaining as "Clash of the Titans," while still failing to be as fun as the Sinbad flick with the skeleton warriors (a much better D&Dish movie, frankly). Luckily this one got out a year before LOTR hit the scenes, or it would probably have languished in gaming hell. As a gamer of 23 years, I think somewhere, somehow, a Not the worst movie ever made in the genre, and probably about as entertaining as "Clash of the Titans," while still failing to be as fun as the Sinbad flick with the skeleton warriors (a much better D&Dish movie, frankly). Luckily this one got out a year before LOTR hit the scenes, or it would probably have languished in gaming hell. As a gamer of 23 years, I think somewhere, somehow, a better movie can be made on D&D that features actual game elements (such as the Forgotten Realms as a setting, for example!) and iconic D&D characters, themes, and beasts that bear more than a faint resemblance to the genuine article. Oh, and a real screen writer would be nice, too, although it seems many movies suffer from a lack of such these days. Expand
  16. ChrisN/A
    Apr 29, 2004
    Why was this made, and why was a friend cruel enough to make me watch this?
  17. R.G.
    Aug 1, 2003
    Wicked.
  18. DaveC.
    Jul 18, 2003
    The flattest adventure movie I've ever seen. Thora Birch is awful and so are the rest of the cast. Thank goodness Lord Of The Rings came to make up for this tosh.
  19. Chaotix
    Dec 17, 2002
    All right, it wasn't Star Wars (episode IV) and it certainly wasn't Clash of the Titans, but it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. WHY??? Because I consider everything that goes into a movie, and judge it accordingly. The D&D movie was doomed from the start, and yet they still managed to pull it off. The movie's very existence is a freaking miracle. I was All right, it wasn't Star Wars (episode IV) and it certainly wasn't Clash of the Titans, but it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. WHY??? Because I consider everything that goes into a movie, and judge it accordingly. The D&D movie was doomed from the start, and yet they still managed to pull it off. The movie's very existence is a freaking miracle. I was expecting sock puppets and cardboard weapons, and was pleasantly surprized by not-too-bad CGI and interesting (albeit plastic looking) props. Really now, I would like to see any gamer with very little knowledge of making movies do much better. Although I have heard of an Independant Film called "the Gamers" coming out soon that is supposed to be pretty good. Gamers can be the worst critics ever, really. I am a dungeon master (and published author in over a dozen D&D books) and I have to deal with that kind of gamer all the time... "Third ed is too easy" "Can I have a +19 Sword of destruction" "Waaa!, dragons aren't supposed to eat halflings" .... really now, just lighten up a little and enjoy things. Its a game. And this was a movie, based on that game, directed and produced by a gamer, albeit not the best gamer, but I'd give him 100 exp for effort. It took him ten years, but he got it to the big screen. I liked it. I watched it several times. I own the DVD. I hope for a sequel (yeah, I know, keep dreaming). Oh well, I know this all seems likee sensless rambling, but I wrote it in ...30 seconds right...now. See what I mean? Unless you know the whole story, you may mistake something amazing for something dull. Expand
  20. BoomerC.
    Aug 5, 2002
    This film hurt me more than anything else in this world ever has. This pile of steaming excrement damaged every part of my being and has forever tarnished a fair number of childhood memories. There is no hope or salvation for anyone who was involved in this film. This movie even made me hate Thora Birch . . . which forced me to chop off my own dick. That's how much I hated this This film hurt me more than anything else in this world ever has. This pile of steaming excrement damaged every part of my being and has forever tarnished a fair number of childhood memories. There is no hope or salvation for anyone who was involved in this film. This movie even made me hate Thora Birch . . . which forced me to chop off my own dick. That's how much I hated this movie. Marlon Wayans was the best thing about it, and that's the meanest thing I've ever said. About anything. Ever. Don't get me wrong - there are worse films. 'Manos: the hands of fate' is one of them, along with 'Battlefield Earth'. But neither one of those things was based on anything I've ever loved. I would have preferred to see . . . well, my ex-girlfriend's husband anally raping my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank, I suppose. Because then I could at least look at my Player's Handbook without wanting to cry. Expand
  21. CoanA.
    Aug 5, 2002
    Sure, the movie was not terribly great, but hardly deserved the harsh reviews its gotten. It was amusing, but could of been done better. As for the critics up there, how can you rate a film, when you cannot spell basic words like "roll" (see washington post review, "role" instead of "roll").
  22. MikeM.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Total shite, considering the long awaiting movie of the game w/ same name..the movie contained a shocking number of gaming mistakes..almost as if the makers of the movie were not even aware there was a game at all.
  23. HelgeA.
    Jun 5, 2002
    I like Marlon Wayans usually, but using him in this movie was a big mistake. Combining The Wayans brothers humour and D&D's action, what was they thinking? All the sucky acting in the movie made my own schoolplay look like a billion dollar versjon of Hamlet and the battle scene in the end, even I can make better scenes with my littlebrothers toy dragons. But even after all that I I like Marlon Wayans usually, but using him in this movie was a big mistake. Combining The Wayans brothers humour and D&D's action, what was they thinking? All the sucky acting in the movie made my own schoolplay look like a billion dollar versjon of Hamlet and the battle scene in the end, even I can make better scenes with my littlebrothers toy dragons. But even after all that I liked the idea of making this movie, just hoped someone else would have done it... Expand
  24. Kumari
    Jan 31, 2002
    The trailer looked interesting when I went to see Charlie's Angels, so I rented it. I watched about 30 mins. of it until another movie came on tv that I would rather watch. I never went back to finish it, it was so unappealing and uninteresting.
  25. CameronE.
    Jul 27, 2001
    The acting really sucked, but the plot was good. I didn't get what happened at the very end of it.
  26. DanG.
    Jul 15, 2001
    Good idea, dreadful acting!
  27. BillH.
    Jul 11, 2001
    I came into this movie bout 10 minutes late and I didn't get it at all. Which dragons? Until the very last scenes all I could say was. Where are the friggen dragons?

Overwhelming dislike - based on 25 Critics

At once laboriously expository and defiantly incomprehensible.
  2. Reviewed by: Gemma Files
    Good intentions, bad writing.
    A cheap "Star Wars" rip-off with swords instead of light sabers.