Eat Pray Love

4.7

1. Sep 22, 2011
    The movie has a lovely, honest performance from Julia Roberts, but except that "Eat Pray Love" has nothing new or nothing bad to offer; its just bland.
  2. Oct 8, 2010
    Eat Pray Love neglects to show what really happens to dumb, rich tourists when they venture too far from the mall. Where is the scene when Julia Roberts is chased by a troop of mandrills on her bicycle? Where is the scene when Julia Roberts eats unrefrigerated gado gado, then rests her head in a toilet bowl begging to die? And where is the scene when the sweaty, unshaven Javier BardemEat Pray Love neglects to show what really happens to dumb, rich tourists when they venture too far from the mall. Where is the scene when Julia Roberts is chased by a troop of mandrills on her bicycle? Where is the scene when Julia Roberts eats unrefrigerated gado gado, then rests her head in a toilet bowl begging to die? And where is the scene when the sweaty, unshaven Javier Bardem spikes her mineral water with Rohypnol and defrauds her Amex card? Well? Answer me that. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the beginning temporarily had me questioning why this plot had made for such a best selling book, the movie picked up speed during Julia Roberts conversation with her friend about not liking where she was in life. I enjoyed her travels, but found them slightly disconnected. The ending was cute, screaming the typical Hollywood farewell of a movie. Eat Pray Love, if it did nothing else, left me with quite an appetite. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2010
    Disjointed and hard to get into. You don't get a chance to know/like Liz before the drama starts, so it's hard to care as much about her journey as you should.

5. Aug 29, 2010
    This movie is way too long and exaggerates too much on unnecessary details and is never clear on what is the message that the movie wants to project. It's not that it doesn't have great ideas, is just not shown as well as it should have been shown. It's a decent ride of a film but it never makes the whole adventure of Liz exciting for us to see or care about.
  6. Aug 14, 2010
    A travelogue about a self-absorbed person's uninteresting time-out year. Julia Roberts fairly glows, as do the settings, but swimming in any pool an inch deep leaves you unsatisfied, no matter how it might sparkle. She eats glorious spaghetti. You leave empty.
  7. Aug 17, 2010
    Eat,Prey,and Love looked great,but GOD that is so stupid! The movie wasn't too good and I couldn't focus on Roberts playing as a lady who is heading the world with three combining things that she needed to do. The exotic locations are pretty good to see,but notihing interesting to see because the the story was so dull and it takes 2 hours to see the entire film with uninteresting thingsEat,Prey,and Love looked great,but GOD that is so stupid! The movie wasn't too good and I couldn't focus on Roberts playing as a lady who is heading the world with three combining things that she needed to do. The exotic locations are pretty good to see,but notihing interesting to see because the the story was so dull and it takes 2 hours to see the entire film with uninteresting things and it's just partiuclar vacation photos and of course the novel wasn't based on the movie.Nothing interesting with the characters and it has a little plot points and I don't quite understand that the lady was thinking her life without nothing special with her ex-husband or her boyfriend and has no charm to their relationship. The only I like is Javier Bardem,he'e the only cool guy and he could make it intresting with Roberts at the middle. But please,they call the Bardem,Felipe and my name is Felipe too! Well Bardem & Roberts wasn't so bad in their role. Roberts I'm sorry and I luv ya,but your movie is too much dullness and too many plot points that wouldn't explain anything in the novel. Expand
  8. Jan 14, 2011
    Julia Roberts once seemed to have the Midas touch, but here she appears a miscast. The movie is longer than needs to be and I did not feel the true enlightenment of this spoiled, self-centered, city-girl though her journey. Bardem remains one of my favourite actors.
  9. Jan 4, 2011
    To obtain balance you must be in a state of equilibrium or equipoise. Liz is consistently searching for it and eventually does find it; pity â
  10. Nov 22, 2010
    For a woman who has been divorced, going to three countries on the other side of the planet seems more like a temporary escape persay. Julia Roberts plays Liz, who sets out on a year or so to visit three countries, which as the movie title suggests, to eat, pray, and love. From watching the film in it's entirety, you can conclude that she likes the eating part best (Loads of Pasta). AndFor a woman who has been divorced, going to three countries on the other side of the planet seems more like a temporary escape persay. Julia Roberts plays Liz, who sets out on a year or so to visit three countries, which as the movie title suggests, to eat, pray, and love. From watching the film in it's entirety, you can conclude that she likes the eating part best (Loads of Pasta). And for prayer, she visits India. The movie almost seems to run on in India, and more toned down. "Love" has had to be the hardest part for Liz to experience in Bali mainly due to soon realizing that maybe this entire getaway has been just trying to forget about love, and experiencing, or at least forcing her self to choose a more spiritual down to earth way of life. By the end, has she really found happiness? The story is told blankly, and I couldn't exactly connect with the movie because of that. It slowly becomes an expose' of Liz's adventures, with the warmth and sweetness not fully executed. Expand
  11. Jan 10, 2011
    If you like to travel, I think you probably will love thiz movie. It is a real life experience of Elizabeth M. Gilbert who is in self-discovery by travelling to Italy, India and Bali (no one mentions Indonesia?!) in 2006. Eat at Italy, pray at India and finds love at paradise island Bali. Her book EAT, PRAY, LOVE was on New York Times Best Seller list for 110 weeks. The movie directed byIf you like to travel, I think you probably will love thiz movie. It is a real life experience of Elizabeth M. Gilbert who is in self-discovery by travelling to Italy, India and Bali (no one mentions Indonesia?!) in 2006. Eat at Italy, pray at India and finds love at paradise island Bali. Her book EAT, PRAY, LOVE was on New York Times Best Seller list for 110 weeks. The movie directed by Ryan Murphy who is the Creator of NIP/TUCK, POPULAR and musical phenomenal GLEE. His famous directing credit is RUNNING WITH SCISSORS in 2006. Julia Roberts did her typical Rom-Com Queen role for thousand of time. Three lovers around her Liz character are played by fine Actors such as: Javier Bardem, Billy Crudup, and Spider-Man best friend, James Franco. Bardem brings a relaxing and warm aura into his character. Another brief and believable performance comes from Richard Jenkins as a devastated man in India. There are some surprising performances by Indonesian Actors like: The toothless medicine man, Ketut (played by Hadi Subiyanto), Nyomo (I Gusti Ayu Puspawati), the little Tutti (Anakia Lapae) and senior Actress, Christine Hakim. Subiyanto portrays a memorable and key character, although with limited English. In the half hour at the beginning of thiz chick flick, the plot is kind of boring and flat, but after that we find plenty of funny moments and the story-telling goes better. At the end, I came to the conclusion that Liz Gilbert character was kind of confused and too much worried about herself, she left everything she had for irrational reasons. Thiz movie has been telling us, Each city and person has one word to describe it. Well, my word is: selfishness. One thing is for sure, the real exoticsm of Bali is more beautiful than it appears. I wont tell you, you have to visit Bali and check it out yourself.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  12. Mar 29, 2011
    The movie explores the possibilities of what to do if the American Dream does not satisfy you. It definitely does show some alternative lifestyles to a stereotyped American way of life. However, even though it makes you want to go to Italy and eat some delicious Pizza, "Love Eat Pray" is lacking cinematic magic that would make you love the movie.
  13. Sep 1, 2014
    While it may be visually pleasing, that's not enough to save this search for enlightenment. Creative changes should've been taken to make this adaptation more absorbing.

1. Eat Pray Love is magazine-spread self-help bullcorn with the highest possible production values, and I wasn't having any of it.
    Trouble is, most of the major changes took place inside her head and heart, which makes her story a natural fit for a book, but an awkward one for a film.
    Is it a romantic comedy? Is it a chick flick? This is silly, since, in truth, it's neither. It's simply a Julia Roberts movie, often a lovely one.