8.5

1. Jan 22, 2011
    Tim Burton's best film, without the slightest hint of doubt. Every performance, every joke, every set; just about everything in this movie was perfect. It's so good, that I consider it one of my personal favorites.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    Johnny Depp shines in his role as the infamous quirky film director trying to hit it big with grade-Z movies. As absurd as it is brilliant, this definitely ranks as one of Tim Burton's finer films.
  3. Apr 29, 2012
    Let's just get something straight, this is not a biopic. This is a comedy first and foremost. This film chronicles the first few years of the film making career of Edward D. Wood Jr albeit quite loosely. It is very well acted, and very funny. Johnny Depp does a fantastic job at playing Ed in that he sympathetic, but we can still laugh at him. I really loved the music in the film too, it was very unique and fit the mood of the film very well. What I really liked was how if you knew anything about Ed Wood, or had seen some of of his films, you'd catch little jokes that people who didn't know about Ed Wood wouldn't. Great film, and one of my all time favorites. Expand
  4. edo
    Apr 8, 2012
    Burton at his best, not surprise that almost 20 years after the release, he hasn't topped this. Perfect portrayal of Wood's not so desired turn of events during his career, to accomplish that without feeling sorry for the character, but rather to find certain motivations to believe in and defend one's passions, both entertains and leaves an extra of moral conclusions for the watchers.
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    Funny, entertaining and not your typical Tim Burton movie. It follows Ed Wood, Hollywood's most famous (or maybe infamous) director for making terrible movies such as Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's a quirky film and in a way it immortalizes Ed Wood in endearing way. All and all it's a pretty great film and certainly worth a watch.
  6. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie may be one of those gems that are usually buried beneath other gems; gems that everyone are already accustomed to, but ever so rarely look for variety. You don't need me to tell you that this film is an homage to the now deceased Edward D. Wood Jr, and also that this isn't based off entirely true facts. Such things like Bela Logosi never swore so much, and other tiny details. With that said, I Don't entirely care if they don't get some facts right; unless of course they're drastic, but I say that what they didn't put in or whatever made this movie purely magnificent. By far one of the greatest tellings of a filmmaker ever. Never before have I felt so much sympathy for an actual bad director, mostly I would despise them. Here though you get an amazing performance by Johnny Depp playing Ed Wood. He's so energetic, such a swell guy making awful pieces of crap. You just ask yourself: How can I hate a person when they're such a nice and likeable? This movie is just a joy to watch, I was just so enthralled with every minute of the film. It's almost perfect; almost, the actors are good, the story is very interesting, and it can really get to sometimes. Like I said in how it gets to you I mean that it's not only funny, but actually very touching. Scenes of what we don't see in real life finally on the big screen, really makes one think of what do actors go through when in the film business. My ending statement: This movie is a excellent picture that should be viewed by everyone. Expand
  7. Nov 2, 2013
    The one he'll be remembered for. Excellent!!! Dramatic, romantic, funny, exciting!!!! Watch this movie!!! The best movie of Tim and one of the best of Depp!!
  8. Sep 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Leave it to Tim Burton to make a tribute to the art of filmmaking through a biopic on a person who is generally considered one of the worst directors to ever make films, Ed Wood. The fifties sci-fi and horror film director who basically have been called everything from the most incompetent filmmaker of all time to an oblivious avant-gardist and misunderstood poet. The story starts with Edward D. Wood Jr as a struggling young screenwriter and director who is having trouble to find a studio willing to finance his first picture, when a film about the controversial topic of sex change comes to his attention. Ed desperately tries to convince the producer that he is the best man for the job on the grounds that he's a cross-dresser, but is rejected. Later that same day Ed has a run in and forms a friendship with the out of work acting legend, Bela Lugosi, a former horror-star with a severe morphine addiction. He returns to the studio and offers to get them Lugosi for their sex change film if he's allowed to direct and filming of the first, Edward Wood Jr, film Glen or Glenda begins.

Ed Wood is a very rare film in many ways and not the average type of character study. It only depicts the rise, if you might call it that and not really any fall or many downs. Ed wood as a character is dealt with in a very comedic and lighthearted fashion making it the ultimate feel-good film. The fascinating friendship between Ed and Lugosi take as big a part of the story as the career of Ed and the two characters are brought to life through incredible performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau. The supporting cast is a solid bunch consisting of Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, George Steele, Max Casella, Brent Hinkley and Bill Murray. Costuming and makeup are both perfectly done to resemble the fifties and the film is shot in very atmospheric black and white intended to mirror Ed Wood's own films. Tim Burton probably decided to direct this film out of true admiration for the cult-filmmakers passion and loyalty to his vision, which really sets the tone for the entire film and sends the message that even the most popular filmmakers today have something to learn from this small time director of cheap b-movies.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    This Ed Wood is dead wood.
  2. If Ed Wood has a major failing, it's the lack of momentum. Wood's career had nowhere to go, and to some extent the film has the same problem. [23 September 1994, p.C34]
  3. A comedy of the ridiculous in which the ridiculous turns unexpectedly sublime.