Ed Wood

6.6

1. CT
    Jun 2, 2007
    Wow, I just watched this again after several years (2007). The first time I just smiled or chuckled, this time I was ROTFLMAO. I rented Plan 9 as well and watched it *before* watching Ed Wood - it made all the difference in the world! The one thing I had to keep saying to myself while watching Plan 9 was, "This guy was dead serious! This isn't a movie parody!" Watching Ed Wood gave Wow, I just watched this again after several years (2007). The first time I just smiled or chuckled, this time I was ROTFLMAO. I rented Plan 9 as well and watched it *before* watching Ed Wood - it made all the difference in the world! The one thing I had to keep saying to myself while watching Plan 9 was, "This guy was dead serious! This isn't a movie parody!" Watching Ed Wood gave me a psuedo-peek behind the camera so to speak. I recommend it to anyone; it is a very entertaining film, but greatly enhanced if you watch Wood's film(s) beforehand. I can't wait to get my hand's on Glen or Glenda and Bride of the Monster. "Pull the string! Pull the string!" Expand
  2. Jan 22, 2011
    Tim Burton's best film, without the slightest hint of doubt. Every performance, every joke, every set; just about everything in this movie was perfect. It's so good, that I consider it one of my personal favorites.
  3. RD.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Fantastic movie. Never bores you. And the best performances are given by Martin landau as Lugosi and Johnny Depp as Wood. Also Bill Murray is hilarious. This film should have been a hit. But it is sad. You feel pity for the characters in this movie--mainly for Lugosi as Landau performs him fantastically.
  4. AdamE.
    Dec 9, 2002
    An excellent film. Funny and touching, Depp and Landau are brilliant. Danny Elfman is missing though!
  5. MichaelF.
    Aug 24, 2001
    This is an excellent film! So funny but true! I love this movie!
  6. S.L.Kotar
    Mar 20, 2002
    This film is not a comedy about Ed Wood; it is the tragedy of Bela Lugosi. Close your eyes and listen to Martin Landau - he IS Bela Lugosi. Open your eyes and you will believe you're watching "Bride of the Monster" being filmed. Mr. Landau could have given the great Lugosi no better tribute than the humanity he instilled into his portrayal. From those of us who cherish Bela, bless you.
  7. JoeH.
    Feb 27, 2004
    No one seems to have genuine information regarding Disney's decision to pull the "ED WOOD" dvd. The rumors abound. I bought the dvd on ebay and have found no easter eggs, if anything it makes me want to go out and buy some of those old "classics". One can't but shake his head in wonder at the irony at the current career of Mr. Wood. Maybe they wish to retitile the movie "Pumping No one seems to have genuine information regarding Disney's decision to pull the "ED WOOD" dvd. The rumors abound. I bought the dvd on ebay and have found no easter eggs, if anything it makes me want to go out and buy some of those old "classics". One can't but shake his head in wonder at the irony at the current career of Mr. Wood. Maybe they wish to retitile the movie "Pumping Irony" . It's now on sale on ebay at some starting prices of $130!!! I paid $50 and it was worth every penny, but again I'm the only one outside the Academy to see it in the theater. Expand
  8. armandos.
    Apr 6, 2005
    My favorite Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie of all time. The contrast between the reality of Ed Wood's life and the fantasy he creates in his mind is truly endearing-if you love great irony. Landau's performance is awe inspiring. A great flick.
  9. MattS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I love this movie, I watch it everytime it is on. I am a big fan of Burton and Depp, and this movie is another piece of my collection. It tells the story of a no good producer/director/actor that is a transvestite and is friends with a homosexual and bela Lugosi (Dracula) and who makes awful movies. It is a very funny movie and I recommend it. It also happens to be a real story.
  10. LemuelS.
    Oct 24, 2004
    This is one of my all-time favorite movies, so much so that I just bought the DVD, and I never buy DVDs of movies. I like the subject because I enjoy his bad movies. I expected the movie to be mean, but Tim Burton doesn't take any cheap shots. I think what I like is Ed Woods unbounded optimism.
  11. DanC.
    Feb 1, 2004
    A great movie with excellent performances! The Best Performances were Depp's, Murray's and Landau's. I never cared so much about someone I never heard of. The world's worst film director is a hero! Ed Wood is one of the best of the decade.
  12. MitchM.
    Dec 4, 2004
    A classic! I can watch it over and over, just like PLAN NINE!
  13. DecepticonP.
    Oct 26, 2004
    A marvellous, stylish, comedic tragedy. Depp and Burton are a phenominal team who deliver with great affection a tale of the biggest movie loser of all time. In Australia, many of Wood's movies are available for a piffling $5 so check them out and you will see this movie does NOT over-exagerrate how awful his work was. Nor how much he believed in it.
  14. JamesM
    Dec 11, 2005
    Both the best Tim Burton and Johnny Depp movies of all time. It's in my top 20, undoubtably.
  15. Aug 27, 2010
    Johnny Depp shines in his role as the infamous quirky film director trying to hit it big with grade-Z movies. As absurd as it is brilliant, this definitely ranks as one of Tim Burton's finer films.
  16. Mar 7, 2012
    Ed Wood is clearly a very personal film for Tim Burton. He's obviously got great affection for the director widely dubbed "the worst of all time", and through this affection, Burton promotes sympathy in us as well. Johnny Depp is a compelling protagonist, making Wood's personality quirks amusing, but never to the point of parody. We are rooting for this Tinseltown underdog throughout theEd Wood is clearly a very personal film for Tim Burton. He's obviously got great affection for the director widely dubbed "the worst of all time", and through this affection, Burton promotes sympathy in us as well. Johnny Depp is a compelling protagonist, making Wood's personality quirks amusing, but never to the point of parody. We are rooting for this Tinseltown underdog throughout the film, and desperately want him to succeed. Bill Murray is also good cast completely against type, as Wood's flamboyantly gay friend Bunny Breckinridge, who is seeking sex reassingnment. The real highlight of the film though is Martin Landau, who is simply perfect as a bitter, sweary, drug-addicted elderly Bela Lugosi. Less impressive is Sarah Jessica Parker playing Ed's girlfriend Dolores Fuller. I've never really seen the appeal of SJP, and her performance as Dolores does nothing to convert me - she over-acts at times, and is wooden at others, in short, she's extremely inconsistent. While Edward D. Wood, Jr.'s story is a relatively engaging and lively ride (helped a great deal by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski's entertaining script), I can't help but feel that a story more geared towards the elderly Bela Lugosi character would have made for a far more interesting film. Once you've gotten beyond Wood's ineptitude as a filmmaker, his used-car-salesman-style dialogues with prospective film backers and his tendency to walk on set in a skirt and high-heels, his potential as a dramatically resonating main character is limited. The scenes dealing with Lugosi and his tragic later years are the best in the film, and could have been expanded to a full-length human tragedy. That said, Ed Wood is never dull, on the contrary, Tim Burton's love-letter to the critically-despised, yet cult favourite director of Plan 9 from Outer Space is, for the most part, well-acted, well-written, funny and engaging. It's an exceedingly worthy biopic of a rather fascinating little man. Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    This has to be one of Tim Burton's best. This whole film was very well produced. Tim Burton's dark humor keeps me laughing and a little disturbed at times. Getting to the actual review, this is a biopic about a real life film director that has been named the worst director in cinematic history. His name is Ed Wood.(that's why they called the film Ed Wood). Although this was filmed in 1994This has to be one of Tim Burton's best. This whole film was very well produced. Tim Burton's dark humor keeps me laughing and a little disturbed at times. Getting to the actual review, this is a biopic about a real life film director that has been named the worst director in cinematic history. His name is Ed Wood.(that's why they called the film Ed Wood). Although this was filmed in 1994 it's in black and white. But the color isn't what makes a film good and anyone that saids otherwise needs help. This film features a much younger Johnny Depp so I would recommend this to mostly females. The acting was very good. The writing was also good especially the one liners. There where so many funny one liners that if you talked you missed them. Although being a comedy this film is also quite serious. Especially the relationship between Ed Wood and Bela Lugosi. Towards the end it was very touching and depressing. If you like this movie then you might also want to check out Ed Wood movies like Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Bride of the Monster. Expand
  18. Sep 30, 2014
    Entertaining, well written,and excellently directed and performed! Overall a good movie. It is not the best movie film out there but in its genre I would say it is a solid 8! This film shows that complexity is not a pre-requisite to have a great movie, great movies can be simple too :)
  19. Apr 29, 2012
    Let's just get something straight, this is not a biopic. This is a comedy first and foremost. This film chronicles the first few years of the film making career of Edward D. Wood Jr albeit quite loosely. It is very well acted, and very funny. Johnny Depp does a fantastic job at playing Ed in that he sympathetic, but we can still laugh at him. I really loved the music in the film too, itLet's just get something straight, this is not a biopic. This is a comedy first and foremost. This film chronicles the first few years of the film making career of Edward D. Wood Jr albeit quite loosely. It is very well acted, and very funny. Johnny Depp does a fantastic job at playing Ed in that he sympathetic, but we can still laugh at him. I really loved the music in the film too, it was very unique and fit the mood of the film very well. What I really liked was how if you knew anything about Ed Wood, or had seen some of of his films, you'd catch little jokes that people who didn't know about Ed Wood wouldn't. Great film, and one of my all time favorites. Expand
  20. edo
    Apr 8, 2012
    Burton at his best, not surprise that almost 20 years after the release, he hasn't topped this. Perfect portrayal of Wood's not so desired turn of events during his career, to accomplish that without feeling sorry for the character, but rather to find certain motivations to believe in and defend one's passions, both entertains and leaves an extra of moral conclusions for the watchers.
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    Funny, entertaining and not your typical Tim Burton movie. It follows Ed Wood, Hollywood's most famous (or maybe infamous) director for making terrible movies such as Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's a quirky film and in a way it immortalizes Ed Wood in endearing way. All and all it's a pretty great film and certainly worth a watch.
  22. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie may be one of those gems that are usually buried beneath other gems; gems that everyone are already accustomed to, but ever so rarely look for variety. You don't need me to tell you that this film is an homage to the now deceased Edward D. Wood Jr, and also that this isn't based off entirely true facts. Such things like Bela Logosi never swore so much, and other tiny details. With that said, I Don't entirely care if they don't get some facts right; unless of course they're drastic, but I say that what they didn't put in or whatever made this movie purely magnificent. By far one of the greatest tellings of a filmmaker ever. Never before have I felt so much sympathy for an actual bad director, mostly I would despise them. Here though you get an amazing performance by Johnny Depp playing Ed Wood. He's so energetic, such a swell guy making awful pieces of crap. You just ask yourself: How can I hate a person when they're such a nice and likeable? This movie is just a joy to watch, I was just so enthralled with every minute of the film. It's almost perfect; almost, the actors are good, the story is very interesting, and it can really get to sometimes. Like I said in how it gets to you I mean that it's not only funny, but actually very touching. Scenes of what we don't see in real life finally on the big screen, really makes one think of what do actors go through when in the film business. My ending statement: This movie is a excellent picture that should be viewed by everyone. Expand
  23. Nov 2, 2013
    The one he'll be remembered for. Excellent!!! Dramatic, romantic, funny, exciting!!!! Watch this movie!!! The best movie of Tim and one of the best of Depp!!
  24. Dec 28, 2014
    Wow! Tim Burton made a movie that is actually somewhat normal and does not feature Helena Bonham Carter! (Although it does feature his partner at the time, Lisa Marie, but who's counting). Ed Wood is a funny, outstanding achievement. This is Depp and Burton at both their bests. Johnny portrays infamously bad director Ed Wood almost perfect here, but it is Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi thatWow! Tim Burton made a movie that is actually somewhat normal and does not feature Helena Bonham Carter! (Although it does feature his partner at the time, Lisa Marie, but who's counting). Ed Wood is a funny, outstanding achievement. This is Depp and Burton at both their bests. Johnny portrays infamously bad director Ed Wood almost perfect here, but it is Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi that stands out. He's got the man down, accent and everything, to a tee. Additionally, the set pieces, seemingly random storylines, and excellent casting make for a guilty pleasure movie that is many notches above any Edward D. Wood, Jr. picture. Expand
  25. Sep 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Leave it to Tim Burton to make a tribute to the art of filmmaking through a biopic on a person who is generally considered one of the worst directors to ever make films, Ed Wood. The fifties sci-fi and horror film director who basically have been called everything from the most incompetent filmmaker of all time to an oblivious avant-gardist and misunderstood poet. The story starts with Edward D. Wood Jr as a struggling young screenwriter and director who is having trouble to find a studio willing to finance his first picture, when a film about the controversial topic of sex change comes to his attention. Ed desperately tries to convince the producer that he is the best man for the job on the grounds that he's a cross-dresser, but is rejected. Later that same day Ed has a run in and forms a friendship with the out of work acting legend, Bela Lugosi, a former horror-star with a severe morphine addiction. He returns to the studio and offers to get them Lugosi for their sex change film if he's allowed to direct and filming of the first, Edward Wood Jr, film Glen or Glenda begins.

Ed Wood is a very rare film in many ways and not the average type of character study. It only depicts the rise, if you might call it that and not really any fall or many downs. Ed wood as a character is dealt with in a very comedic and lighthearted fashion making it the ultimate feel-good film. The fascinating friendship between Ed and Lugosi take as big a part of the story as the career of Ed and the two characters are brought to life through incredible performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau. The supporting cast is a solid bunch consisting of Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, George Steele, Max Casella, Brent Hinkley and Bill Murray. Costuming and makeup are both perfectly done to resemble the fifties and the film is shot in very atmospheric black and white intended to mirror Ed Wood's own films. Tim Burton probably decided to direct this film out of true admiration for the cult-filmmakers passion and loyalty to his vision, which really sets the tone for the entire film and sends the message that even the most popular filmmakers today have something to learn from this small time director of cheap b-movies.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    This Ed Wood is dead wood.
  2. If Ed Wood has a major failing, it's the lack of momentum. Wood's career had nowhere to go, and to some extent the film has the same problem. [23 September 1994, p.C34]
  3. A comedy of the ridiculous in which the ridiculous turns unexpectedly sublime.