Elegy

6.8

1. Lyn
    May 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm fond of talky movies like this -- and of Ben Kingsley -- but was distracted by the contrast between his timeworn hedonist and Penelope Cruz's earnest young beauty. You look from his countenance to hers and you think . . . "Um . . . really???" Also disliked the corny developments of the denouement. While all the performances were excellent, I did love the supporting work of Dennis Hopper and Patricia Clarkson. The professor's relationships with those characters actually were more interesting than his obsession with the student with the great face and bod. Expand
  2. DFields
    Nov 9, 2009
    For me, Ben Kingsley was not the best choice for this romantic lead. He seemed awkward, unsure of himself and even childish and immature at inappropriate times. Cruz was impressive, as was Clarkston, but I literally cringed at the love scenes. Furthermore, the catalyst scene where David no-shows to Consuela's event did not ring true and did not seem authentic to me. I never felt that For me, Ben Kingsley was not the best choice for this romantic lead. He seemed awkward, unsure of himself and even childish and immature at inappropriate times. Cruz was impressive, as was Clarkston, but I literally cringed at the love scenes. Furthermore, the catalyst scene where David no-shows to Consuela's event did not ring true and did not seem authentic to me. I never felt that he truly loved her, but rather was obsessed with the idea of her. Having her die at the end was heavy-handed and contrived. Expand
  3. JayH
    Mar 15, 2009
    Very strong cast, everyone does a very good job. But I found the film slow and rather boring. I just never got into the film. The characters just weren't that appealing. The direction lacks spark.
  4. tdmac
    May 9, 2009
    Eh. I don't know. Lacked something for me. The love and lives of intellectuals. I never reached a point where I felt any real compassion for the characters. They all seemed like an IDEA of people to me, not real multidimensional characters. Not a terrible movie...just a bit mediocre.

1. Cruz's performance deserves to be seen widely, and it should place her again in line for prizes, but the story's pretensions and downbeat mood will not endear the film to audiences.
    Sparse, low-budget drama, helmed by Spaniard Isabel Coixet, intelligently translates Roth's meditation on lust and mortality without soft-pedaling its narrator's brutally honest, unabashedly sexist views.
  3. A spare, melancholy film that is so far in spirit from its source, Philip Roth's "The Dying Animal."