7.1

1. Sep 15, 2013
    "Elysium has spectacular visual effects, an interesting story, and a good performance by Matt Damon." Even though Matt Damon has done some "paycheck" movies lately (We Bought a Zoo), I believe he really wanted to do Elysium.

Elysium combines great action with an interesting storyline, good acting, and enough eye candy to give you a cavity. The visual effects in this movie are

The visual effects in this movie are stunning, and Elysium has some pretty cool gadgets to go along with it. I especially liked Damon's "drilled-in neurological droid suit".

I didn't get Jodie Foster's accent throughout the movie, and I believe she was sort of a weak link, but it didn't really take away from the story, so I guess I can forgive the movie for that.
  2. Feb 23, 2014
    It's nice to see a serious sci-fi movie that takes itself serious with coming off as pretentious. It's the first time I have been able to say that about a sci-fi movie in a long time. Matt Damon as always nails it. With great action, and fantastic plot, and what may be one of the most despicable villains in movie history, "Elysium" is definitely worth a watch.
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    Some of the writing may be ham-handed in its attempts to establish antagonism and build a message, but even so "Elysium" proves to be a thrillingly eye-catching sci-fi experience with a jaw-dropping performance from Sharlto Copley.
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    Though not as creative or executed as well as District 9, Neil Blomkamp provides another strong film to the sci-fiction genre. Even though the theme is nothing new, Elysium is a well paced action film that succeeds at sending a message.
  5. Jul 23, 2014
    This one is a little slow at the beginning and a tad overwhelming as we get adjusted to this futuristic world, but once everything kicks in, it is a really great thrill ride with great action sequences. In addition, the last twenty minutes or so are great and really make up for most of the missteps the film takes earlier on. The direction here from Neill Blomkamp is very strong and theThis one is a little slow at the beginning and a tad overwhelming as we get adjusted to this futuristic world, but once everything kicks in, it is a really great thrill ride with great action sequences. In addition, the last twenty minutes or so are great and really make up for most of the missteps the film takes earlier on. The direction here from Neill Blomkamp is very strong and the acting from Matt Damon is solid as well. However, Sharlto Copley really dominates the screen here and did a phenomenal job in his supporting role. Now, there are certainly some things I have problems with how certain things happen and why certain characters would do something (nearly out of the blue some of their actions), but it is ultimately made up by the beautiful set design, the really cool weapons they trot out, the good action, and the great ending. Without those things going for it, this one would have really sufferred from it, but thankfully, the end result is a good one and the film as a whole is quite enjoyable. This one delivered everything I could have expected out of a film of this type. Expand
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    A well crafted sci-fi film about the have and the have nots. Matt Damon gives his usual strong performance, but the scene stealer is Sharlto Copley his villainous role is the best part of the film. A-
  7. Sep 6, 2014
    Elysium was fun entertainment. Brain off, soda and popcorn in hand... A nice way to spend an evening. That crazy South-African bad guy was a major highlight. He's evil as they come, but man did he make me laugh! Elysium is not deep nor thought provoking, but I still had a great time with it.
  8. Sep 8, 2013
    Watched this Blomkamp’s sophomore feature film in theater, to some extent I was underwhelmed by his universally-acclaimed debut DISTRICT 9 (2009, 7/10), it seems that his novelistic intention overrides his implementation, notably his screenplay (this time he is the sole writer for ELYSIUM), the premise is always rosy and aspiring, but in the Sci-Fi territory, if the writer cannot justifyWatched this Blomkamp’s sophomore feature film in theater, to some extent I was underwhelmed by his universally-acclaimed debut DISTRICT 9 (2009, 7/10), it seems that his novelistic intention overrides his implementation, notably his screenplay (this time he is the sole writer for ELYSIUM), the premise is always rosy and aspiring, but in the Sci-Fi territory, if the writer cannot justify the surrealistic world he creates with a certain holistic perspective to cover obtrusive plot-holes which are unavoidable byproducts out of the limitation of one’s imagination, very likely bathos will be the consequence.

In ELYSIUM, setting in 2154, Blomkamp inherits his visual motifs from DISTRICT 9 (the skeletal robot resembles an agiler Prawn) and enlarges the cosmic extravaganza by erecting a pristine man-made extraterrestrial homeland for upscale class meanwhile the seething dystopian of a scuzzy and overpopulated earth is an upgraded version of the refugee camp for The Prawns in Johannesburg. Howsoever the film’s box office prospect (a tepid response from the critics and its North American income is also disheartening, $82,877,000 so far), it is a bold decision for the production company to invest and purvey a wunderkind’s second film with a costly budget (reported $115,000,000) for an original Sci-Fi actioner.

Accumulating an almost 4-times funds than DISTRICT 9, Blomkamp could summon Hollywood top-tier names to guarantee more tickets-buyers which backfires, however his South African kindred spirit Sharlto Copley continues undertaking a chief role as the brutal outcast ex-agent, whose ambition pans out to be even more vicious than the ostensible villain, the combo of Damon and Foster is a whimsical but diverting one, but due to the ill-fated procession of the story, they don’t even share any scenes together, Damon is always a good Samaritan without memorable charisma to single himself out and Foster caricatures herself to a routine militarist with bizarre accent.

All the earthbound stratum is comprised of Latinos (save Damon here), Moura, Braga and Luna is certified foil around Damon’s amenable hero, contrasts sheer with the high-and-mighty White race in Elysium, robot-like but dons haute couture, speaks French and enjoys a disease-free technology. The omnipotent machine stands out as the sole excuse for earthlings to go to Elysium (actually only for those who are sick or disabled), since the lucky immigrants who stow away from earth to there (19 minutes by aircrafts, a rather facile maneuver) will all be effortlessly captured and repatriated back to the globe, so why they make a fuss over risking their lives in an ill-fated journey? Also the entire re-programming and rebooting scheme is a heedless product of a wholesome mind and cursorily conducted for the sake of being assimilated as any of its same kind. Unfortunately there are many equivocal set pieces like this pervading the entire film which restrains its potential to be a bona fide awe-inspiring eye-opener.

But on the other hand, imagination is contingent on the real world where germinates all the possible routes to extend and maximize our capacity of creation, the world in ELYSIUM could be our worst nightmare comes true because it touches on the basis of our undying prejudices on individuality and the callousness and irrationality looming over the inexorable gap between the wealthy and poor, as I mentioned in my review of DISTRICT 9, Blomkamp will always be on my radar as the new blood in the massive assembly line, time is all he needs to hone up his expertise and mostly essentially is to be on the lookout for a distinctive screenplay, he will fabricate his own CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10) one day.
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    Although it doesn't carry the heavy originality of 'District 9', Neill Blomkamp creates another interesting and important political message, and adds the onslaught of heavy action and profane language. Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, and Sharlto Copley are an intricate chemistry, with an enjoyable effect. 'Elysium' has enough for the cost of a ticket.
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    Elysium is an exciting sci-fi thriller with a good story and stunning visuals. The dual backgrounds of life on a decaying earth about 41 years in the future and the alternative safety and opulence enjoyed by the very rich on Elysium is so perfectly balanced that one is completely engrossed in the whole rather than being interested in only half the film. Matt Damon, following on fromElysium is an exciting sci-fi thriller with a good story and stunning visuals. The dual backgrounds of life on a decaying earth about 41 years in the future and the alternative safety and opulence enjoyed by the very rich on Elysium is so perfectly balanced that one is completely engrossed in the whole rather than being interested in only half the film. Matt Damon, following on from Bourne, continues to be a good investment as an action hero and Jodie Foster, with an intriguing accent, is fascinating as Elysium's gatekeeper. There are also some wonderful visual compositions and the special effects are sometimes stunning. On the evidence here one can understand why people would want to live on Elysium. The film remains on a constant level throughout due to rapid fire editing and music that adds volumes in creating the gamut of emotions that run through the film. It is fair to say that this is a more conventional movie than Neill Blomkamp's previous one, District 9, but is is also more digestible. Expand
  11. Aug 10, 2013
    Here's the thing, I liked "District 9", but I absolutely loved "Elysium". This is a movie that knows what it is and does it well. The acting was great, the story was phenomenal and the action was fantastic, Go watch this movie! Also, check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife". Stupid title, I know, but I really want to see what you guys think. Overall, prepare to be amazed with "Elysium"
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is touching, thrilling and powerful. The effects are great, the acting was solid, and everything was there. It has a strong heart and it's definitely a recommended sci-fi.
  13. Nov 13, 2014
    "Elysium" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"Elysium" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: As usual, Blomkamp has a great and interesting idea. Very creative and full of social commentary without ramming it down your throat. Damon and Foster do a great job as adversaries despite spending little screen time together. The gritty backdrop (the same for District 9) of life on Earth vs. the peaceful bliss that is Elysium was an excellent contrast.

The Bad: The action scenes could have been better. Far too much shaky cam and fast movement so that you're not always sure what happened. Sharlto Copley, Foster's main enforcer and one of the main villains in the film, was a little over-the-top and was more interesting when he didn't say much.
  14. Aug 18, 2013
    I believe the general concept around this film was a great idea and delivered very well! There hasn't been another film quite like it so I was quite impressed with that. Acting was very good, with Matt Damon the obvious star, but mention must be made about Sharlto Copley who played the irritating villain almost too well, and that accent was painful! It picked up more towards the end afterI believe the general concept around this film was a great idea and delivered very well! There hasn't been another film quite like it so I was quite impressed with that. Acting was very good, with Matt Damon the obvious star, but mention must be made about Sharlto Copley who played the irritating villain almost too well, and that accent was painful! It picked up more towards the end after taking somewhat too long to get going, but overall impressive and worth a look! Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2014
    Although it's lack of creativity and some poor acting stops it from being perfect, Elysium has dazzling visuals, great characters and is much more thought-provoking than most other sci-fi flicks.
  16. Apr 15, 2014
    Elysium was not I expected. I thought the main character Max would be more Epic, but hes really as Normal as they get in that world. The most unique thing about this movie is how the rich live in a Space town.It was a good movie, and looks great, but kind of disappointing for a movie that looked so interesting.
  17. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is from the director of 'District 9' which sets in the year 2154 about the people of severely damaged earth and luxurious artificial habitat in the space. I could say this movie was not much distinct from Tom Cruise' recent science fiction. Both the movie deals about ruined earth and wealthier space station colony. More like it is a prequel to 'Oblivion' where robots are taking over from the human race. I enjoyed both, they were the finest science fiction of the year. 'Oblivion' was unique but 'Elysium' gives the same feeling to the movie 'District 9' where protagonist from both the movies get infected and suffers severely.

Max (Matt Damon) is an orphan young man who is dreaming to escape the polluted earth and settle down in the luxurious place in the space called Elysium. He works in a factory where security robots are manufactured. One day something goes wrong with him while working, he begins to get sick. In order to get cured he must immediately visit the Elysium where poors from the earth are not allowed. He knows he can't enter legally so he must find an alternate way where he could reach his target.

2013 was one of the best year in last the ten years for science fiction movie fans. I thoroughly enjoyed many movies along with my favourite of the year 'Gravity'. 'Elysium' is better than the average, I don't know why it was rated such low. But I could not get a few things like why should one install electronic chips and devices into his body to steal the classified data. I thought the pen drive or external HDD are more than enough. Whatever, this movie looked good to me and expecting you to enjoy it as well.
  18. Feb 6, 2014
    After Star Trek Into Darkness, Thor The Dark World, Hobbit 2 & Man Of Steel, is Elysium one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it got a interesting story, much action at a high tempo & many unique things that you haven't seen before. I really enjoyed Matt Damon's performance in this movie, but also the other actors, aside from Sharlto Copley's bad acting, which was awful.After Star Trek Into Darkness, Thor The Dark World, Hobbit 2 & Man Of Steel, is Elysium one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it got a interesting story, much action at a high tempo & many unique things that you haven't seen before. I really enjoyed Matt Damon's performance in this movie, but also the other actors, aside from Sharlto Copley's bad acting, which was awful. Elysium got a wonderful beginning, and overall didn't Elysium feel boring at any time, which I admire. Elysium is an enormous cool and awesome movie which is well made and contains many unique scenes and stuff that you haven't seen before, but the movie also contains some strange things, like the story, because sometimes it really felt illogical what the characters did in different scenes in this movie, but also that the story is a little misleading at some places. Another weird thing is the ending, and I think it's a great ending, besides that one of the main characters died, which isn't okay, because you don't kill one of the main characters of a film!
    Overall is this a great movie, with a high amount of action, great story, many unique things that you haven't seen before and the thought about an overpopulated planet is great, because it might happen in the future, and even that the ending was bad and the story was a little misleading, is it still great movie, and I really recommend it for all the Sci-fi fans out there, and there are much criticism for this movie out there, and it really depends on the individual if you are going to like this movie or not, because we humans are all different.
    Elysium gets a 8/10
  19. Aug 18, 2013
    Elysium is actually a pretty good movie, especially for summer. It doesn't succeed to the point that District 9 did, but it's still definitely worth seeing. Matt Damon gives a more than solid performance, and the action is exciting. It's not as stylish or unique as District 9 either for a lot of it's running time, but it still manages to be entertaining, and its screenplay is also aboveElysium is actually a pretty good movie, especially for summer. It doesn't succeed to the point that District 9 did, but it's still definitely worth seeing. Matt Damon gives a more than solid performance, and the action is exciting. It's not as stylish or unique as District 9 either for a lot of it's running time, but it still manages to be entertaining, and its screenplay is also above most other action spectacles. That being said, it does use too much heavy handedness in getting its obviously left sided political point out there. Sharlito Copely proves again that he's a more than capable actor with his role of the crazy Kruger. It's a role very far removed from District 9's Wikus, or The A team's Murdock, but he still manages to sell it. Despite what many critics are saying about the last act, the action packed, stylish, and decently emotional finale is actually the best section of the film. Overall, Elysium isn't able to stand beside Blomkamp's first film, or Inception or Avatar either for that matter, (The trio of great recent sci-fi films released within relatively short time from each other), but it may be the best film of the summer, and that's nothing to cry about. It's also a strong contender for the visual effects Oscar. Expand
  20. Jan 7, 2014
    bom mais falta coerência no roteiro.
  21. Dec 24, 2013
  22. Jan 3, 2014
    From the makers of District 9 comes this sci-fi action movie starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. This movie had a lot of expectations to live up to because of how unique and clever District 9 was. Much like my reaction Man of Steel, I can't really make up my mind. It did not live up to my expectations, but was a good movie overall.
    All of the cast give good performances. Matt Damon is
    All of the cast give good performances. Matt Damon is pretty good, Jodie Foster is pretty good (even if her character doesn't do much), Alice Braga is pretty good, Sharlto Copey is awesome. But what can you expect? He's awesome in everything, even when playing nerdy office workers/aliens. The special effects were very good, excusing Matt Damon's exoskeleton which sometimes looks like one of the 1960's Cybermen from Doctor Who, and the plots quite clever. It gets a bit straightforward in the last 40 minutes, but still good.
    What really let the movie down was the action sequences. I had no idea what was going on in the final battle. It's a type of filming I've never seen before, it's not shaky cam it just changes angles too much. You're right next to Matt Damon's face. Then you're 25 meters away from him. Then you're looking down on him from up in the air. Then you're back right next to his face. Then you're a meter away from him. Then you're just behind him. And finally you're back up in the air looking down on him. All of these angles in the space of 20 seconds. The cameras not shaky, it's just changing position too much I have too come up with a name for this so that I can use it more in future. Unfortunately the action sequences are a large part of the movie. So it ruined a lot of scenes. But not the whole movie.
    I enjoyed myself during Elysium mainly due to Sharlto Copey's amazing performance and the clever plot, but the strange filming style in the action sequences may have made it a slight disappointment.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    Entertaining Sci-drama set in a dusty hopeless time. Clever tech fuels this movie with enough gas to get you to the end of the film but not much further. It certainly feels like Dist-9 2.0 That is not necessarily a bad thing though. Unlike the 1.0 this movie has A list Hollywood actors and a hefty budget to give it a boost and it for the most part it works. The O' Brother politics bringEntertaining Sci-drama set in a dusty hopeless time. Clever tech fuels this movie with enough gas to get you to the end of the film but not much further. It certainly feels like Dist-9 2.0 That is not necessarily a bad thing though. Unlike the 1.0 this movie has A list Hollywood actors and a hefty budget to give it a boost and it for the most part it works. The O' Brother politics bring the score down some though as it is a little blunt in some of its over the top view of current issues. Don't let that sway you though this is a good movie so go see it. Expand
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    Elysium es un refresco comparado a peliculas como Oblivion que intentan la misma idea pero no logran sacrle el jugo del todo y se tornan demasiado aburridas, Elysium logra tramar con la misma idea con subtemas basados en realidades y suspensos emocionantes.
  25. Jul 26, 2014
    A really cool concept that could have been executed a bit better but still a really entertaining movie. Matt Damon and Jodie Foster kill there roles in this movie. Some great visuals and action scenes to keep you entertained. A bit slow in the middle but its a good average action movie.
  26. Aug 18, 2013
    Overall a very solid movie with great si-fi action, a cool/interesting story, and believable characters. The only reason I don't go higher is because I sort of left the movie wanting to know more about the backstory, details during the movie, and ending. Just wished parts were a little more fleshed out. Otherwise though it was great and I recommend it.
  27. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "District 9" was amazing so I went into this one with high hopes that Neill Blomkamp would strike oil twice...and he did! I really dug the story (although it did feel a little chaotic and sloppy at times, but not too bad), the action is great (although I wanted more), the characters are fun (although some of them feel like they needed more development) and Sharlto Copley stole the movie to the point I wanna a "Elysium"-spin-off entirely about him!

The problems in this movie are very, very few and the epic parts are very, very numerous!
  28. Sep 4, 2013
    In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields are the blissful utopia where all good souls will come to rest. In this film, Elysium is a utopia that exists side by side with a wretched dystopia, which is our very own planet Earth. Earth is overrun with poverty, disease, and decay, a place where a preponderance of visible minorities hold miserable jobs and lead miserable lives. Matt Damon as MaxIn Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields are the blissful utopia where all good souls will come to rest. In this film, Elysium is a utopia that exists side by side with a wretched dystopia, which is our very own planet Earth. Earth is overrun with poverty, disease, and decay, a place where a preponderance of visible minorities hold miserable jobs and lead miserable lives. Matt Damon as Max is a poor orphan who grows up on Earth to become a reformed car thief working in an unsafe factory, and he longs to take his childhood girlfriend to Elysium.

Because the planet got so polluted and run down by the year 2154, the filthy rich evacuated to a giant space station that exists just outside the atmosphere, clearly visible from Earth, in the shape of a round wheel that is a country in itself. It has its own president, President Patel, apparently the only non-Caucasian who has made it to Paradise, and every citizen of Elysium lives in the lap of luxury with beautiful homes, exotic gardens, sumptuous meals, and clean air. Every household is waited on by obedient robots, and every household contains a med bay, which is an enclosed box with a plastic lid where a sick person lies down, gets diagnosed by a computer program, and then is instantly cured of every affliction, disease, and malady that can possibly beset humankind. The med bay not only cures, it grants immortality, barring an accident or other calamity. Desperate, downtrodden, and ill citizens of Earth try to make illegal runs to Elysium in outdated space shuttles, just to gain access to a med bay.

Playing the role of cold-blooded Secretary of Defense Delacourt, Jodie Foster is horrified by President Patel (Faran Tahir), who has an interest in human rights, even though he does not exactly go over the top with his philosophical beliefs, given that he has no interest in improving the lot of the masses back on Earth. Some Elysians visit Earth for business reasons, and John Carlyle (William Fichtner), is the CEO of an exploitative company that treats employees like slaves; as a result, Carlyle has to spend quite a bit of time back on the polluted planet. Foster's Secretary of Defense is cruelly ambitious, and she wants to stage a coup to overthrow President Patel and make herself president. For that she needs Carlyle to write a computer program that will topple the present regime of Elysium by resetting the country's entire computer system with new instructions.

Since this is science fiction, and rather engaging science fiction at that, much can be forgiven in terms of some of the logistical details. For example, when a society is as technically advanced as Elysium, will the Secretary of Defense really get her text messages on a tiny screen on her watch? Even Sean Connery's Bond could have done better than that. And when the evil John Carlyle writes the ultimate computer program that will shut down Elysium and put Delacourt in power, would he really be writing the program in assembler language in the year 2154? I could have sworn I saw the assembler language STO command (for storing numerical values in registers) rolling by on Carlyle's computer screen. And does Delacourt speak fluent French because it is a pretentious skill for the rich or because Jodie Foster graduated from a French lycee in Los Angeles?

But the movie is carried by Matt Damon, who does not disappoint. As Max, he is strong but tender, courageous but meek, and heroic but timid. He protects the girlfriend he's been true to since childhood. But more significantly, he seeks a proper distribution of income so that the repressed citizens of Earth can enjoy the same rights, opportunities, health benefits, and the blessed serenity of the rich and overprivileged dolts who are the good citizens of Elysium. It is the Day of the Revolution.

Although the plot is somewhat predictable and a little too violent, this movie gets extra points for being philosophically sound.
  29. Sep 26, 2013
    After reading many heavy criticism of this film, that decepsionante to be blamed and not go further in its atmosphere, I watched it almost certainly of annoyance and frustration, but fortunately the film surprised me, your story may not be very innovative, but it is extremely catchy and interesting, eeste new director is presenting this as one in S. Ridley, by treating social problemsAfter reading many heavy criticism of this film, that decepsionante to be blamed and not go further in its atmosphere, I watched it almost certainly of annoyance and frustration, but fortunately the film surprised me, your story may not be very innovative, but it is extremely catchy and interesting, eeste new director is presenting this as one in S. Ridley, by treating social problems camouflaged in a science fiction realistically, what makes the film so far the best I've seen this summer, their defects are the only ones acting of Jodie F. and a successful turnaround a bit bad, but problems are not very important to consider the rest of the film. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    Elysium has an original setting, good plot, engaging twists, nice characters. Sounds good, but it didn't do well the action part, and this is an important one for this type of movies. Also the main villain is week. So, go see it, it's a good film with some minor problems
  31. Aug 23, 2013
    This movie does have its few flaws, like a few plot holes, but that doesn't change my thoughts of this movie. This movie was fun and an exciting movie to see. Matt Damon was great, the villains were hateable, and the story was action packed and awesome. See this movie soon. You don't want to miss this!
  32. Aug 12, 2013
    After District 9, I knew Neill Blomkamp could deliver a unique and compelling movie experience that would leave me wanting more. I wish more than ever he and Peter Jackson were able to work on a Halo movie, as those two were slated to direct and produce the major franchise's break into the silver screen. Instead Neill has begun to show what he's been capable all along. In Elysium, heAfter District 9, I knew Neill Blomkamp could deliver a unique and compelling movie experience that would leave me wanting more. I wish more than ever he and Peter Jackson were able to work on a Halo movie, as those two were slated to direct and produce the major franchise's break into the silver screen. Instead Neill has begun to show what he's been capable all along. In Elysium, he returns to familiar ground that he paved in District 9, only this time instead of immigrant aliens it's desperate humans clamoring for an opportunity to make it to paradise off-world. Everything visual about this movie seems to be spot-on. It was a joy to just see all of these futuristic elements blend with poverty-stricken metropolitan cities (such as LA in this film) to make something a little more fresh and believable in the world of sci-fi. The acting is also great. Matt Damon doesn't disappoint, nor does his supporting cast some of which may actually offer even better performances. I would recommend this movie to nearly anyone, but I will recommend with slight reserve. The reason being: while Elysium is a good movie with a good cast and a good setting, at times I felt the film lacked a little heart. I cared about what was happening, but I could care more. There were few missed opportunities, but the ones that were missed were the difference in a good movie versus a standout chapter in action movie history. Neill is on to something, and I look forward to seeing what else he can muster up in his budding career in movies. For now, Elysium is a safe recommendation moreso if you've seen everything else that's big at the box office right now (or simply aren't interested in what else is out). Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2014
    What the heck were the people saying this was crap watching? One of the biggest gripes about this movie was that "It's overly political", really? really? overly political? Please proceed to remove the tent pole stuck up your... nose, and learn to appreciate good cinema, thank you. Boet. *Insert picture of Kruger giving you the finger*.
  34. May 23, 2015
    Elysium is a solid sci-fi action movie with some rogh edges. The action is always intense and the CGI is fantastic. It's also a quite creative movie (I like the exo-suit like things) that has good acting. I was still a bit disappoited with it. I'm not sure how I expected it to be better (meaning in what ways) but it just isn't quite as good as it looks, I guess. I recommend it to allElysium is a solid sci-fi action movie with some rogh edges. The action is always intense and the CGI is fantastic. It's also a quite creative movie (I like the exo-suit like things) that has good acting. I was still a bit disappoited with it. I'm not sure how I expected it to be better (meaning in what ways) but it just isn't quite as good as it looks, I guess. I recommend it to all sci-fi action fans, just not strongly. Expand
  35. Sep 22, 2013
    "Bring down the bone saw!"

Within the overall ranking of great film, there is a sub-section of great reserved for awesome Sci-Fi, the rarest of all great. This blog will begin with a review of such a film. Having just seen Elysium I am more probably more envious of director Niell Blomkamp than any other person in the world right now. Besides the fact that Blomkamp’s now two feature
    "Bring down the bone saw!"

Having just seen Elysium I am more probably more envious of director Niell Blomkamp than any other person in the world right now. Besides the fact that Blomkamp’s now two feature films are fantastic, his other film is District Nine, he’s only 33 and he operates as a visionary in the Sci-Fi genre, a genre where visionaries are in urgent demand.

In 2154 Earth’s wealthiest have abandoned the filthy scourge that has become our home planet and taken up residence on Elysium, a Garden of Eden type space station equipped with ultra-advanced medical technology. It’s all just a quick shuttle ride away from Earth. Close enough to be realistic, but just outside the reach of masses.

Matt Damon plays Max, a heavily tattooed former criminal trying to get this life back on the straight and narrow, but the Los Angeles of 2154 where he resides makes it difficult. After a run of bad luck he is dealt a deadly dose of radiation while working at his factory job. From here Max’s only chance of survival is to get to Elysium. Conveniently, Max just happens to be on a first name basis with Spider, a mastermind hacker crime boss that has the means to get Max there. After an unpleasant scene were Max is fused to with a robotic exoskeleton all he needs to do to attain his passage is hijack a corrupt official’s brain and download the data to his own.

The dismal picture that Blomkamp paints of our future as a species is grim, although slightly glorified. His Los Angeles 2154 resembles the favelas of current day Rio de Janerio, hardly a fictional dystopia, and although Damon is a pleasure to watch amidst this dystopian fiction, his overall goal of trying to save his own life is not enough to garner sympathy. It is difficult to care about the worth of a single ex-con’s life amidst the pandemonium and violence that everyone around him also suffers.

This disconnect never really resolves itself despite an attempt: Max ends up trying to save his childhood friend, and her daughter too. It doesn’t work, but it also doesn’t matter. This film is about wholes, big pictures, sums of all things greater than the individual. The technological marvels of Elysium are matched only by the decrepitude of the world that Blomkamp creates. A statement has been made loudly about humanity’s potential trajectory, lest we decide to alter it.
  36. Dec 22, 2014
    In 2009, new up and coming film maker Neill Blomkamp wrote and directed 'District 9', arguably one of the best science fiction films of the last decade. Elysium is a very good hard 'R' action movie packed with Mech suits, badass guns like the modded Ak-47 blowing apart robots with explosive bullets and the 'Chemrail' that literally tears apart it's target, when the villains face gets blownIn 2009, new up and coming film maker Neill Blomkamp wrote and directed 'District 9', arguably one of the best science fiction films of the last decade. Elysium is a very good hard 'R' action movie packed with Mech suits, badass guns like the modded Ak-47 blowing apart robots with explosive bullets and the 'Chemrail' that literally tears apart it's target, when the villains face gets blown off by a grenade you get the idea that theres some good stuff in here. Matt Damon as the main character 'Max' is good but every time sharlto Copley shows up on screen as the villain 'Kruger', he completely chews the scenery along with a thick South African accent and an assortment of tricks (or bombs) up his sleeve to take down his targets. Neill Blomkamp shows once again that he can make a thrilling visual treat packed with all sorts of exciting stuff. Expand
  37. Oct 12, 2014
    Bom elenco, orgulhoso dos atores brasileiros que estiveram presentes, a história vai crescendo e ficando melhor durante o filme, claro que como qualquer outro algumas partes decaem mas nada que atrapalhe o ápice do filme no final.
  38. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and I have to say this film is definitely a personal favorite of mine! Much like District 9 before it Blomkamp presents us with a seemingly all too real vision of the future in which the wealthy are able to live on a "Heaven" like space station known as Elysium free from all crime, sickness and disease. What follows is truly one of the most well crafted sic-fiI'm a huge fan of sci-fi and I have to say this film is definitely a personal favorite of mine! Much like District 9 before it Blomkamp presents us with a seemingly all too real vision of the future in which the wealthy are able to live on a "Heaven" like space station known as Elysium free from all crime, sickness and disease. What follows is truly one of the most well crafted sic-fi films I have seen! Its not all action and that may turn some people away, but not me. It gives itself time to build up and gives the audience time to care about its characters. Take all this and set it against some of the most gorgeous CGI visuals you can imagine and you have a good idea of what to expect! Expand
  39. Aug 9, 2013
    Actually, I'd give this a 6.5 because it's got a few too many problems to be a solid 7 IMO. While Damon is the best part of the movie (he was GREAT), there just wasn't enough Elysium life-style development (I was curious as to the details of how the habitat worked and what they did, but nothing was ever shown except for women lying by pools with their butler robots). The only part ofActually, I'd give this a 6.5 because it's got a few too many problems to be a solid 7 IMO. While Damon is the best part of the movie (he was GREAT), there just wasn't enough Elysium life-style development (I was curious as to the details of how the habitat worked and what they did, but nothing was ever shown except for women lying by pools with their butler robots). The only part of Elysium that was developed was the defense side, in which Jodi Foster was miscast, IMO. She is a great actress but her in this role didn't feel right to me. By the same token, not much was devoted to life on earth and how society operated in the future there either. Lots of people running around looking poor, sick and dirty, but nothing much about how they survived. TONS of action though, so I am guessing the guys will like this movie a lot. But for me, it left too much out in favor of all the action. Expand
  40. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. yeah I thought this movie was great. I loved District 9 and looked forward to their next film. The critics were kind of split so I was a little worried but the movie turned out to be awesome. The action was intense and their were some great characters. The main character from the first movie returns in a totally different role and I thought he kicked ass. I don't usually like Jodie Foster so her being the antagonist made it alright. Matt Damon did a good job and the mechanic suit he wears gave the movie some very memorable action scenes. I also liked the story a lot about the elite deserting earth for a haven in space, keeping their advanced health care for themselves and leaving the poor too die. The movie held my interest completely and definitely lived up to what I expected. Expand
  41. Aug 12, 2013
    Hopes were high for this followup to the hit District 9, and in most areas it succeeds. "Elysium" is a sci-fi thriller with a current thread of politics running through it, this time universal health care for the privileged rich people who live on Elysium, a posh orbiting habitat for those who can afford it and all the advantages it offers, including machines that wipe out allHopes were high for this followup to the hit District 9, and in most areas it succeeds. "Elysium" is a sci-fi thriller with a current thread of politics running through it, this time universal health care for the privileged rich people who live on Elysium, a posh orbiting habitat for those who can afford it and all the advantages it offers, including machines that wipe out all disease, heal people instantly, etc.
    On Earth, it's squalor and overcrowding. People do not have access to medicine or the new space age cures. One small band of shuttles tries to land on Elysium, but two are shot down, and the ones who are lucky enough to touch down are immediately deported by the cold and indifferent character played by Jodie Foster.
    Matt Damon is the hero, and having been exposed accidently to a lethal dose of radiation fights to try to get to Elysium to save his own life.
    This is the scenario, and on its own it's a good thriller. Like District 9 it looks very real, and the future Los Angeles is a very undesirable place, indeed. Those oversensitive to politics will carp, angry because the message of universal health care is right up front, as is the treatment of immigrants who are cruelly shot down.
    If you can keep your political interest in check otherwise, it's a good movie and one of the best of the summer. It doesn't have quite the sympathetic punch District 9 had, but the cinematography is great and the acting first rate. "Elysium" may not be a blockbuster, but it's worth the price of admission.
  42. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elysium, set 2154, is a futuristic sci-fi film featuring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, and Sharlto Copley. From the same director of District 9, Elysium displays the corruption of planet earth, pretty much the same way all movies show future earth. Using overpopulation, fires, and riots, on the destroyed streets and buildings, Elysium was not as original as I would’ve hoped.

The rich don't have to live with this though. For a certain price, you can buy your way on to the "perfect" planet. On Elysium, there is no disease, the freshest air, and everyone is rich. Throughout the film, we follow Max (Matt Damon), who has five days to live due to radiation poisoning. As for Elysium, they do have a president, but Delacourt (Jodie Foster), pretty much runs the planet and makes orders against the laws of Elysium. Max gets special gear installed into his body making him a "super human" and battles his way to Elysium for a hopeful cure.

Though the film kept me entertained with its solid fight scenes and great acting from Damon and Copley, it didn't seem like anything new in this category of movies. Jodie Foster was really insignificant in the film and her role could have been played by any actress or even actor as far as that is concerned. I will say that at first, I wasn't a fan of the ending, but it really kept me thinking after the near 2 hour film ended.

Even though Max died in the end, I realized that he died happily, knowing his death was for the greater good of saving humanity on planet earth. In the end he found his calling and significance of his life’s impact on others. I was really into the movie, and I felt like I was in a game at some scenes following Max during gun battles. Sometimes the camera would get so shaky though that the audience could lose focus of Max, and could not follow him or any character for that matter on the screen. There were some points in the movie that were in slow motion. As Max’s gun was being fired, the audience could see his emotion in the scene, and follow the bullet shot.

Overall the film kept me captivated and really made me think about what the world will be like as I grow older. I went into Elysium expecting a rather predictable ending, and I was actually surprised with some of the twists and turns the film took. Elysium was one of those fun to watch movies that leaves you thinking about the ending on your way out of the theater.
  43. Aug 19, 2013
    A brilliant and electrifying sci-fi thriller set in the dystopian 22nd century becomes the vehicle for a scathing satire and powerful indictment of the politics of oppression circa 2013 A great and worthy follow-up to Blomkamp's "District 9."
  44. Nov 6, 2013
    Estaba que explotaba para ir a ver esta película: no fue lo que esperaba, pero fue aceptable. El lenguaje cinematográfico del director Neill Blomkamp se hace respetar alrededor del filme siendo, de alguna manera muy característico de su parte. A los amantes de la ciencia ficción, es una cita requerida, ya que Blomkamp es un maestro en lo que respecta ese género. Si bien no es tan buenaEstaba que explotaba para ir a ver esta película: no fue lo que esperaba, pero fue aceptable. El lenguaje cinematográfico del director Neill Blomkamp se hace respetar alrededor del filme siendo, de alguna manera muy característico de su parte. A los amantes de la ciencia ficción, es una cita requerida, ya que Blomkamp es un maestro en lo que respecta ese género. Si bien no es tan buena como District 9 (la anterior película del director y debut del mismo) pero es una película de ciencia ficción de nivel superior. La historia es bastante original pero es bastante predecible; si quieres ver buenas escenas de acción gráficas: ésta es una película que puede ser de tu agrado. Expand
  45. Aug 13, 2013
    Pretty standard sci-fi fare. It actually turned out quite a bit better than I had expected, but it still wasn't anything to write home about. The plot wasn't bad, but there were far to many "convenient occurrences" throughout the movie and the camera-shake was extremely annoying at times. Overall, not a bad movie, just nothing really new. Probably not theater worthy, but rental/netflix worthy.
  46. Aug 11, 2013
    Yes, movie snobs are damning the movie for not having super original characters or a super original plot. Get over it, this is a solid sci-fi movie. Not the best, but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. If you are looking for a perfect movie, this is not it. If you are looking for entertaining sci-fi, this is a good one. If you have to have everything be realistic, this is not itYes, movie snobs are damning the movie for not having super original characters or a super original plot. Get over it, this is a solid sci-fi movie. Not the best, but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. If you are looking for a perfect movie, this is not it. If you are looking for entertaining sci-fi, this is a good one. If you have to have everything be realistic, this is not it and that is true of most of sci-fi. The acting in general was fine. It was a touch gory at times. Many cliche moments and characters. The pacing was slow at times, but not bad overall. Expand
  47. Aug 28, 2013
    If "District 9" was an allusion to racism, them "Elysium" clearly represents elitism.

Neil Blomkamp brings us another Sci-Fi lacking the depth or integrity of "D9" but still gives us a solid entertaining story, Unfortunately however it doesn't really engage or come full circle until after the credits roll, only then does its appeal shine through. The year 2154 all wealthy people have

The year 2154 all wealthy people have left the poor on an overpopulated, no resources left earth to live on Elysium, a space station that looks like a real estate's wet dream and all manner of disease can be cured within seconds.

Enter Max (Matt Damon) who after a fatal accident at work will try to get to Elysium by any means necessary, holding the keys to the future in the process whilst fighting off a harsh immigration suit (Jodie Foster) and her renegade hit man Kruger (Sharlto Copley).

Damon is always a hit and miss for me, he's worthy enough of the material; and brings a solid performance to a character I still don't really care for until the third act despite how much of his past is shown, Foster does well and is suitably casted for her role yet playing evil is new and comes off more awkward than serious. However Sharlto Copley shines as a villain with such vile eccentrics he steals the show period.

Other than that the movie is very well paced, being shorter would upset me and being longer would've felt far too stretched out, the FX look on a near 120 million dollar budget whereas again most blockbusters nowadays are costing the same or considerable more. but after everything I have said there's not a whole lot that blew me away and there's no real WOW factor, I wish could talk more positively about Elysium and that whole crossing the border thing really came off as an SNL parody than a serious plot point.

Final Verdict: After all is said and done, there's really nothing seriously wrong with Elysium, however there's nothing particular grand about it either considering the potential, nevertheless it's an enjoyable flick and here's hoping to Blomkamp's next outing is superior.
  48. Aug 18, 2013
    Elysium was a Si-FI standout. Featured awesome characters that were well acted. Props to the guy that played the antagonist from district 9, he was awesome and really made you despise his character. Only problems I had was that the cameras were really shaky during pretty much the whole thing. I know its an action flick but I thought it was worse than usual.
  49. Jan 1, 2014
    It isn't as good as District 9, but that doesn't mean it isn't good at all, it's actually a very good action film. The story is pretty good, the performances aren't great, but what shines are the visual effects and just the slow motion moments are exhillerating.

Elysium gets a 7.3/10
  50. Aug 15, 2013
    Matt Damon's performance was good as usual. Somehow the storyline was kind of slightly bland, not enough suspense but the action scenes were good. Maybe the background musics made a lot of different in certain scenes and i think that's what this movie was lacking. Beautiful Elysium city design, good sci-fi movie. Overall I and my wife still happy and found the movie enjoyable on xtremeMatt Damon's performance was good as usual. Somehow the storyline was kind of slightly bland, not enough suspense but the action scenes were good. Maybe the background musics made a lot of different in certain scenes and i think that's what this movie was lacking. Beautiful Elysium city design, good sci-fi movie. Overall I and my wife still happy and found the movie enjoyable on xtreme screen. It still worth our $18 tickets Expand
  51. Aug 10, 2013
    I'm getting this the first day out on bluray! The movie was AMAZING! The actors are wrenching. I was surprised at first as to the many number of elements this had that were in District 9 but, in hindsight, the same director that did District 9 also did Elysium so the surprise wore off quickly. And, you'll get a surprise as to the major villain's persona. I'm sure you've seen him before butI'm getting this the first day out on bluray! The movie was AMAZING! The actors are wrenching. I was surprised at first as to the many number of elements this had that were in District 9 but, in hindsight, the same director that did District 9 also did Elysium so the surprise wore off quickly. And, you'll get a surprise as to the major villain's persona. I'm sure you've seen him before but it took me a while to realize who he was. Amazing acting by Jodi.... Love her! See this for all the action, for the heart wrenching emotional ups and downs, and most of all for the message that could one day be the great socioeconomic divide between the 'us' and 'them'. Expand
  52. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know the writers got the class warfare aspect of this movie across perfectly when you almost smile at the thought of Homeland Security's pet sociopathic murdering rapist rampaging through the space station where all the elite snobs hang out. Yes, at one point they did use the words Homeland Security, in case somehow someone failed to get that Elysium represents America (or at least America's ruling elite) and impoverished Earth represents the rest of the world. I'm all for a movie that captures the anger and frustration of have-nots gazing upon the intolerably selfish haves. However, I prefer my class warfare with fewer plot holes. First there is the usual problem of humans going to work building robots that are fully sophisticated enough to build themselves. Then factory worker and hard-bitten hero Max receives a lethal dose of radiation without becoming lethal to everyone around him. As an aside, poor Max! His troubles start with a beating from jackboot robots, which leads to the extension of his parole by his robot parole officer, and then goes from there to radiation poisoning. Then things get really bad for him. Now back to the plot holes, because there are many more. First of all, I don't recall any reason the citizens of Elysium need the pitifully impoverished, desperately sick and injured people of Earth. The people of Elysium are terrified of illegal immigrants invading their space station paradise, and since they are more than ruthless enough to deny the people of Earth assistance of any kind I see no reason why they wouldn't have dropped a few neutron bombs on the planet and been done with the problem long ago. Instead it seems they're hoarding all the immortality for themselves while panicking when the occasional illegal reaches the station, breaks into a house, and obtains medical treatment. The illegals reach Elysium thanks to a thriving black market in identification and disposable shuttles. Very disposable. The Irish coffin ships had better odds of making it to shore. This operation is run by a guy who can't get his henchmen to abduct a citizen of Elysium and steal passcodes out of his head, so he gets Max to do it in exchange for a ticket to Elysium to cure the radiation poisoning that will kill him in five days. The citizen Max decides to abduct is for some unclear reason slumming around on Earth heading up the robot manufacturing plant where Max, thanks to glaring worker safety issues, gets his lethal dose of radiation. During the course of this we end up doing a stint in Johnny Mnemonic, with Max's head containing the secret to Elysium citizenship for all. It seems that all anyone has to do to make everyone on Earth a citizen of Elysium is type in the command and reboot once Max's brain gives up the data (killing Max in the process). Because any advanced society is just one hack away from being completely and irretrievably taken over. Then to compound that plot hole, the movie ends with the now benevolent Elysium computer sending medical help to all of its new citizens on Earth. If that was so easy then why didn't Elysium's government just do it in the first place and spare themselves the trouble of arguing with their sadistic Homeland Security head over whether to shoot the desperate immigrants out of the sky or just stomp them and send them back to Earth? So why did I give this movie such a high score? Because sometimes the theme and overall flavor of a story works even when the plot is swiss cheese. Expand
  53. May 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elysium is a tour de force of science fiction and dazzling action. Matt Damon gives an engaging performance as a man who is working and living on a ruined earth. He wants to live on Elysium but Elysium is only reserved for the wealthy. He isn't wealthy and he is an ex convict yearning for a better life. He has an accident at work and his body is bombarded with radiation. He has only days to live and he decides to go to a friend for help. His friend gives him a mission to shut down Elysium's system. He tells him that if he can get vital codes extracted from this guy's mind and brought back to him he will give him passage to Elysium. The coolest part of this movie is that Matt Damon sacrifices himself to save everyone on earth. In the end, everyone gets to live on Elysium and nobody has to suffer anymore. This is one of the smartest science fiction thrillers I have seen in years. Expand
  54. Jan 25, 2014
    Finally watched this film today, went in with high expectations, left with every single expectation blown out the water. An absolutely incredible story, paced excellently throughout. Parred with blistering action and directing, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It also helps that I'm a huge fan of District 9. All the characters are likable, especially Kruger. I foundFinally watched this film today, went in with high expectations, left with every single expectation blown out the water. An absolutely incredible story, paced excellently throughout. Parred with blistering action and directing, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It also helps that I'm a huge fan of District 9. All the characters are likable, especially Kruger. I found myself rooting for the bad guys just as much as the good guys. One of my favorite films, I'd highly recommend anyone to watch it. Expand
  55. Aug 19, 2013
    Neil Blomkamp's District 9 blew me away and so I was really excited about Elysium, the movie was very good but don't expect it to be better than his previous movie. Matt Damon without a doubt was incredible on playing his character, he proved himself that he could be an action star when he was Jason Bourne and in Elysium, his performance was well done. Jodie Foster was also good in theNeil Blomkamp's District 9 blew me away and so I was really excited about Elysium, the movie was very good but don't expect it to be better than his previous movie. Matt Damon without a doubt was incredible on playing his character, he proved himself that he could be an action star when he was Jason Bourne and in Elysium, his performance was well done. Jodie Foster was also good in the movie but the person that blew me away the most was Sharlto Copley. He was so fun to watch and in every scene that he was in gave me the feeling that he was about to do or say something memorable. The visuals and the action scenes were terrific, it's a further proof that Blomkamp knows how to tell a good story and to create visuals that makes his movies real Sci-Fi. The movie still has it's flaws like the forced chemistry and characters that had short development but that doesn't take the fun out of the movie. Elysium was a well done movie but doesn't really match District 9, I am going to give Elysium a 10/10. Expand
  56. Nov 8, 2014
    Rich Republicans and Their Lackeys Lost In Space! Elysium is the logical conclusion of a Survival-of-the-Fittest philosophy currently espoused by many Republicans, Tea Party fanatics and the apolitical, super rich. Greed and selfishness is the Law-of-the-Land in Elysium! Don't bother healing the critically ill on Earth with amazing life saving technology. If the sick are not one of theRich Republicans and Their Lackeys Lost In Space! Elysium is the logical conclusion of a Survival-of-the-Fittest philosophy currently espoused by many Republicans, Tea Party fanatics and the apolitical, super rich. Greed and selfishness is the Law-of-the-Land in Elysium! Don't bother healing the critically ill on Earth with amazing life saving technology. If the sick are not one of the rich and powerful living aboard the giant ocean-liner-in-space then let 'em drop dead in the streets! This is a place where Ayn Rand would be King!

Elysium is the ultimate gated community! A wet dream for any rich and powerful person who sees the rest of us as a threat. The corporations and their lackeys in government, the courts and the press literally turn the earth into one giant cesspool and then they get to escape to a corporate utopia in outer space! All I can say is: God help us all!

Films like Elysium are a wake-up call to help prevent what might actually happens someday if the course the vast majority of the world is on is not changed!
  57. Jan 17, 2014
    Elysium is a perfect well written and excellently directed Elysium had everything I except to see in a true Sci Fi film. Elysium kept me on the edge of my seat from start till finish.
  58. Jan 5, 2014
    Pretty good movie, but he seemed pretty lame for having super strength (until the last fight). Smarter viewers will notice the parallels with reality in the film, and many the issues we are dealing with in the U.S. good all around film worth buying a copy.
  59. Aug 9, 2013
    Elysium doesn't benefit from being compared to District 9, as District 9 is smarter, has a better script, and is just smoother and cleaner; it has better flow. As a stand-alone action movie, Elysium is very good. It has great acting, great visuals, and is very exciting and thrilling. As a counterpart to the Oscar-nominated District 9? It just doesn't stack up. I really liked it, but IElysium doesn't benefit from being compared to District 9, as District 9 is smarter, has a better script, and is just smoother and cleaner; it has better flow. As a stand-alone action movie, Elysium is very good. It has great acting, great visuals, and is very exciting and thrilling. As a counterpart to the Oscar-nominated District 9? It just doesn't stack up. I really liked it, but I can't guarantee that you will. Expand
  60. Aug 18, 2013
    The plot was fluid and the characters were great. Spider stood out the most for me as the strongest actor. Too bad he was a minor character with a major role in the film. The villains were hate able, but not to the extent of them becoming complete a$$holes. It wasn't the District 9 plot i was hopping for, the intelligent action movie, but it was a very complete film with no plotholes thatThe plot was fluid and the characters were great. Spider stood out the most for me as the strongest actor. Too bad he was a minor character with a major role in the film. The villains were hate able, but not to the extent of them becoming complete a$$holes. It wasn't the District 9 plot i was hopping for, the intelligent action movie, but it was a very complete film with no plotholes that I could think of. Expand
  61. Aug 12, 2013
    I loved this movie, great premise and the right motives for the main character to do what he did. It actually exceed my expectations in many ways, it has a strong message on the poor vs the rich. Politics aside tho, if you just watch this movie for what it is, a piece of entertainment you will not be disappointed. Matt does what he does best and the villain in this movie excels in manyI loved this movie, great premise and the right motives for the main character to do what he did. It actually exceed my expectations in many ways, it has a strong message on the poor vs the rich. Politics aside tho, if you just watch this movie for what it is, a piece of entertainment you will not be disappointed. Matt does what he does best and the villain in this movie excels in many way, he steals the scenes everytime he comes up. Its a scifi movie with a lot of heart, you can tell the director is passionate about his work. To me this is a one of akind movie for 2013, a sleeper hit in my books, it brings something we yet to see for the remaining of the year. The weakest point in the film is probably the woman, not too great of an actress but she plays a decent role, Expand
  62. Xon
    Nov 18, 2013
    Great visuals and pacing. Perhaps a little too preachy and pushing a liberal aganda. Cardboard cutout characters and lack of plot or character development made the film less gripping. But good pop-corn fare.
  63. Aug 15, 2013
    I thought the movie was pretty decent and enjoyable. Would I rush to the store and buy this when it comes out on DVD/Blue Ray.. nope. The movie is something like it could actually happen in our near future and it builds up like the movie Area 51 did. Robot scenes were really cool and how they did the space station was pretty crafty, and don't get me wrong! This would be a super amazingI thought the movie was pretty decent and enjoyable. Would I rush to the store and buy this when it comes out on DVD/Blue Ray.. nope. The movie is something like it could actually happen in our near future and it builds up like the movie Area 51 did. Robot scenes were really cool and how they did the space station was pretty crafty, and don't get me wrong! This would be a super amazing rental, but you probably won't be watching this more than once or twice. Expand
  64. Aug 29, 2013
    A movie doesn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece to be awesome. And Elysium just goes to show that a movie with flaws can still be f**king amazing when done the right way. A similar comparison for Elysium would be The Transporter movies. By no means anything but a summer blockbuster, and yet you leave the theater having been very entertained. I will admit, Elysium has quite a few flaws,A movie doesn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece to be awesome. And Elysium just goes to show that a movie with flaws can still be f**king amazing when done the right way. A similar comparison for Elysium would be The Transporter movies. By no means anything but a summer blockbuster, and yet you leave the theater having been very entertained. I will admit, Elysium has quite a few flaws, but they are something i can easily forgive as the movie makes up for its mistakes. First off i would like to mention that this film is absolutely gorgeous. Its one of the best looking films i have seen in quite some time. It just oozes style that reminds me of The Island mixed with Aliens. Combat is intense and filmed clearly so you can enjoy every moment. There are so many moments that just make you shout out in how insane they are. People get killed in some of the most over the top and violent ways you cant help but have a dark chuckle as at least half a dozen people are just turned into pink mist. POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILER, I will say that the knife fight at the end of the film is amazingly well done and a perfect way to have a fight with the main villain. END SPOILER As far as acting goes. I do think that the little girl was an awful actress yes but she has maybe three lines so it doesn't hurt the film, and Spyder's performance was so over the top that his ability to chew the scenery became freaking amazing. He overacted so much it just made his character seem likeably insane, sort of like Vass from Far Cry 3. Overall i loved this movie regardless of its flaws. I highly recommend this film for action and sci fi buffs. Just keep in mind that if you cant turn a blind eye to flaws and plot hole, you may enjoy this film less than i did. No means a masterpiece, but it was a helluva a lotta of fun to see. Expand
  65. Aug 25, 2013
    great
    movie
    story
    action
    acting
    idea
    completely very new idea
    not like directer too idea from someone's old ideas like Marvel Comics.
    villains
    world

perfect
  66. Nov 26, 2013
    I was a tad disappointed with this film, I will not lie, I'm a big fan of District 9 and I feel that this film relies too much on a familiar story filled with cliches. But with that said its still very well done, the direction is solid and the subtext within the story is present but its not as effective as it could have been. The acting is decent enough with an always great performance byI was a tad disappointed with this film, I will not lie, I'm a big fan of District 9 and I feel that this film relies too much on a familiar story filled with cliches. But with that said its still very well done, the direction is solid and the subtext within the story is present but its not as effective as it could have been. The acting is decent enough with an always great performance by Matt Damon and Sharlto Copely makes for a great villain, while others like Jodie Foster aren't utilized quite enough, she does a good enough job but she's upstaged by the previous actors. The visuals in this film are fantastic, even surpassing District 9 in that department, the best way I can describe the visuals is very hyper kinetic, its very fluid but always keeps the viewer in the action, especially in the fights between Damon and Copely. Overall, I was disappointed but its still a solid summer sci-fi action film. Expand
  67. Nov 29, 2013
    it was a quite good movie to watch in some moment their was little bit miss directing.But after all the movie was very specious.If their will be a place like Elysium I will join with Matt Demon
  68. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Elysium is Director Neill Blomkamps second film centered around two worlds, Earth and Elysium. Starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Alice Braga, Elysium is actually a decent little Sci-Fi fantasy tale that carries solid performances, adequate action sequences, beautiful visuals, and a simple yet well executed premise. Now the real question is, as a whole, is ElysiumElysium is Director Neill Blomkamps second film centered around two worlds, Earth and Elysium. Starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Alice Braga, Elysium is actually a decent little Sci-Fi fantasy tale that carries solid performances, adequate action sequences, beautiful visuals, and a simple yet well executed premise. Now the real question is, as a whole, is Elysium overall a good movie? It most certainly is. It is definitely not fantastic, but it doesn't fall into the "decent" category nor go down under into being terrible. Matt Damon is adequate in the lead role, but SharIto Copley steals the show with his convincing portrayal of a psychopathic mercenary. Jodie Foster was above average but her character was the typical power-drunken politician that we've seen in film over and over. Elysium is a solid Sci-Fi click with great performances, great though 1-dimensional characters, an adequate and not-so-confusing storyline, exciting action sequences despite the occasional tiresome shaky cam and smooth pacing. If you're a Sci-Fi buff like I, I would definitely recommend giving Elysium a chance. In minor areas it is a bit rough around the edges, but through my opinion and perspective, it is overall an enjoyable addition to the beloved Sci-Fi genre. Expand
  69. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is one of the best movies I watched this year.The action and the story is good.I can't believe it has a mixed score from the critics I mean the movie is great.
  70. Sep 26, 2013
    Absolutely loved this film. As a huge fan of District 9, this was actually exactly what I was expecting it to be. Blomkamp's style is so distinct, and in general I have never seen a Sci-fi film quite like this. I don't quite know what critics were expecting, and it's particularly hard to tell when you have some wishing it was closer to District 9 while others criticize it for being tooAbsolutely loved this film. As a huge fan of District 9, this was actually exactly what I was expecting it to be. Blomkamp's style is so distinct, and in general I have never seen a Sci-fi film quite like this. I don't quite know what critics were expecting, and it's particularly hard to tell when you have some wishing it was closer to District 9 while others criticize it for being too similar. The fact is that Blomkamp has used many of the elements that made District 9 SO brilliant and has applied them to a rather different perspective of Science Fiction in my opinion to equally brilliant effect.
    This film should be view completely independently which I understand is difficult for some.
    Needless to say, after seeing this film, I am even MORE excited to see what Blomkamp does next.
  71. Sep 2, 2013
    I enjoyed it. I came in expecting something like District 9, but I also didn't come in with high expectations, mostly because I didn't really follow the film. Enjoyable action elements. I thought the plot was enjoyable, but without the setting it wouldn't be much to look at. The setting I thought was cool and interesting. There seemed to be an effort and subtly showing a culture in theI enjoyed it. I came in expecting something like District 9, but I also didn't come in with high expectations, mostly because I didn't really follow the film. Enjoyable action elements. I thought the plot was enjoyable, but without the setting it wouldn't be much to look at. The setting I thought was cool and interesting. There seemed to be an effort and subtly showing a culture in the film, which I thought was neat. I definitely recommend it. And for those who enjoyed District 9, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this film. Expand
  72. Aug 30, 2013
    Elysium: Amazing visuals with great action and a great story. This movie was great, Matt Damon was really good as Max De Costa in his journey to get to Elysium, Jodie Foster was good but not really great as Delacourt. Standout Role: Sharlto Copley as Kruger, this dude was crazy, in the cool antagonist way. Sharlto Copley has proved that he can act with both this and District 9. Action:Elysium: Amazing visuals with great action and a great story. This movie was great, Matt Damon was really good as Max De Costa in his journey to get to Elysium, Jodie Foster was good but not really great as Delacourt. Standout Role: Sharlto Copley as Kruger, this dude was crazy, in the cool antagonist way. Sharlto Copley has proved that he can act with both this and District 9. Action: This movie was pretty violent as in blood and chunks of people all over the place, the action itself seemed like it could have been improved a bit but was still entertaining. Neil Blomkamp has created a great movie that really gets you to care about Damon. Although its not as brilliant as District 9, it is still a good time. 8/10. Expand
  73. Aug 27, 2013
    I was not permitted to rate this film; rather, when I DID rate it "3" and pressed "submit", it automatically rated it a "9". So now I'm rating it a ONE, regardless of what they try force me to rate it. THIS FILM IS RATED "ONE", NOT "NINE; ONE.
  74. Aug 11, 2013
    Elysium proves the truthful fact that our world has a reality. However Blomkamp takes that concept 'movie-literally' and leads a story to illustrate that our 'reality' is more of a 'tragedy.' And he wants to fix that. Send a message But the shining tragedy here, unfortunately, is the execution and ultimate delivery of this wonderfully imaganitive story...

This is a fine movie that

This is a fine movie that spends almost too much time reminiscing strong elements, re-re-re-reconnecting us with it's core re-repeatedly. Giving too much substance for a movie that blandly executes it's present time entertainment and the audience is found lulled wanting to engross themselves, but can't. The movie rushes along offering a less than satisfying experience. In the end, it didn't reach magic. it's not special. It just goes by with good ideas that you're really not engaged enough to appreciate them. As so many recent projects have done, didn't use the most valuable and most important aspect in moviemaking and delivering a movie. That is time. You don't have to satisfy those viewers that could care less about true vision & creativity and just hammer away with bang, bang the whole time zooming through the movie. This is what Elysium's disease is and it never cures itself. It decompresses to a dud unfortunately. Movies need to use time, it's so important and valuable and can really make or break a movie and it's experience.

I mean, I never dazed off. The acting wasn't consistently good. Sharlto Copley surely keeps you stunned, only for a bit. And Matt Damon...well, is Matt Damon. As he was in the Bourne movies, as he is in almost every movie, except The Informant of course. Overactor in this one, Jodie Foster on one peculiar hand, plays a character that seemed lazily portrayed and her accent befuddles to unmeasurable degrees, and I think if there's one thing Blomkamp leaves for us to discuss & scratch our heads over, it's this accent that I think not even AdAm Sandler could decipher it's origins.

Despite that, the movie hums along nicely with many grasping action sequences, some beautifully inspiring special effects, especially and for the most part the footage of Elysium itself. It never really attacks you through. Never grabs your soul and shakes it like District 9 did. The only reason for comparing is the styles are nearly the same. The edgy, Rated R groove. Except District 9 had sensible direction. In Elysium, it seemed forced. It's relevant to reality, but the movie is exaggerated and unbelievably out-there as it is, there's really no point for this being an R rated sci-fi.

Life is about the journey, not the destination and for that the movie doesn't necessarily fall flat on it's ass. it just stumbles, maintaing balance, ending with really no spark of memorabilia. Life is about the journey not about the destination. In that sense, the movie is too reluctant to get the job done. Instead of pacing itself gradually, building it's story and visual and becoming a momentous masterpiece like it was going for, it remains ordinarily intense. It's a movie about momentum. That's what it's all about here. If it had a little bit of that, this would've soared. Rather, the movie has you wondering what it's building towards, even though the plot is all so predictable.

For those hoping for a Terminator, your wishes are only imaginary. I wish I could say better but the movie just doesn't get to where it wants it to be. It may think it does, but this is, once again, about the money. No care, no passion (maybe a little bit). Just about the ego, once again. What they don't seem to realize is if the movie isn't that great, generally speaking, then people aren't going to see it again and it's not going to make much money. There's all this talk about it's box office success and honestly, special effects can only take you so far. Quality comes into effect as well.

Nevertheless the movie does set a pretty awesome tone. Inspiring and gorgeous with it's opening logos, and finishes with stimulating credits. Unfortunately the movie never sustains that throughout the duration of the picture. It does prove there was a strong vision, it's just sometimes the film doesn't come through as best. I think that's what happened here. It's still a fine movie, but don't go in awaiting something spectacular. It's just a typical weekend action-flick that could die off very quickly.

The movie is entertaining and keeps you fixated on the visual, and there are moments of true emotion and spectacle and power. For the most part it's a beautifully igniting sunrise, that suppose to break into a 90 degree plus day, but turns out to be an unexpectedly 70 degree plus day, and thankfully ends with a magnificent sunset. If ya' catch my drift.
  75. Aug 10, 2013
    Saw it in IMAX, and it totally rocked. I loved District 9 one of my favorites and this film didn't disappoint at all. Great story with great characters, and a powerful message. Totally serious, this should win best picture.
  76. Aug 15, 2013
    This movie is a solid 8, ignore the bad reviews. If you like District 9 you will enjoy this, Elysium has a very similar feel to District 9 though there seems there is a lot more character development in Elysium and you really feel majority of the actors gave stellar performances.
  77. Aug 18, 2013
    Wow!! Reading some of these reviews says more about the reviewers' strange political/social views than it does about this movie. I read one review that said a dystopian future like this is unlikely because history has shown us that every generation has left the next generation better off than the last and that incomes are predicted to rise meteorically. All I can say is wow. Do you notWow!! Reading some of these reviews says more about the reviewers' strange political/social views than it does about this movie. I read one review that said a dystopian future like this is unlikely because history has shown us that every generation has left the next generation better off than the last and that incomes are predicted to rise meteorically. All I can say is wow. Do you not think that there will be a breaking point? The patterns of history mean nothing because the whole dynamic is changing with dwindling resources, overpopulation, etc. Situations that are unprecedented in history. I could go on and on but I won't. This is great sci-fi: gritty and topical. I hope there is more science-fiction produced like this in the future. Expand
  78. Aug 9, 2013
    More style than substance, Elysium fails to be as thought-provoking as Blomkamp's District 9. Max Decosta's (Matt Damon) struggle to save his own life, much like many on Earth, seems to supersede what should've been Elysium's focus: to restore equality and improve life on Earth.
  79. Aug 12, 2013
    Just like Place Beyond the Pines, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Only God Forgives, Elysium is another masterpiece to come out of 2013. And not only is a masterpiece, its the best out of the four that I've seen. Now, let me get this out of the way, this movie is like Prometheus to the audience; where some say its dumb, others say its good, and many say its spectacular. But to say it s one ofJust like Place Beyond the Pines, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Only God Forgives, Elysium is another masterpiece to come out of 2013. And not only is a masterpiece, its the best out of the four that I've seen. Now, let me get this out of the way, this movie is like Prometheus to the audience; where some say its dumb, others say its good, and many say its spectacular. But to say it s one of the worst movies ever? Come on. Really? Have you seen some of the that has come out this year? I kept my expectations high, but not too high for this movie and boy were they met! The cinematography is just beautiful; great vision of the future, Matt Damon was fantastic as the character of Max. Jodie Foster? That's where i have problems with the movie. I think she was fine, which was kind of disappointing to me. She was able to get the whole female politician' act down, but not as good as i had hoped. However, the man who steels the show will go down as one of the greatest villains of all time...Shartlo Copely as Kruger. This guy was menacing, brutal, cold, and well just plain right uncomfortable. He steals every scene he is in, and that is no joke, and the last 30 minutes of this movie were some of the best climatic moments i'd ever seen. When a movie's climax has your heart racing, it does something right.
    A+
  80. Sep 19, 2013
    I really liked this movie
    great visuals, great performance by Matt Damon it's a tiny bit of comedown for Neill Blompkamp from the excellent district 9 which is probably the science film ever made
    p.s Sharlto Copley was great aswell
  81. Oct 9, 2013
    Good sci-fi movie, solid action, not much else to say. It'll keep you interested enough to watch to the end, then you'll sit back and go "hey, not bad".
  82. Aug 16, 2013
    Non stop action with not-a-hero main character localized in Vanquish universe. I love this movie Mat Damon doesn`t want to be hero he just wants to save his life. He becomes a hero at the end but its more like a coincidence than a target. Perfect scenario, perfect idea, perfect performance. I`m amused
  83. Aug 15, 2013
    I got a good laugh when they showed some of the Elysium reboot code. Is Elysium really run by a 32-bit IBM PC? The mnemonics were unmistakable. The action sequences were certainly decent.
  84. Aug 18, 2013
    This movie is very underrated in my opinion. The story was good and it wasn't cheesy. The characters seemed very real. the action scenes were great they weren't over the top and they weren't too many or too lengthy. The actors did a fantastic job, especially the ones who aren't very popular. The CGI was amazing. The script was very, very good. I felt like I was watching a real lifeThis movie is very underrated in my opinion. The story was good and it wasn't cheesy. The characters seemed very real. the action scenes were great they weren't over the top and they weren't too many or too lengthy. The actors did a fantastic job, especially the ones who aren't very popular. The CGI was amazing. The script was very, very good. I felt like I was watching a real life documentary and not a movie. I think the movie is a must-see. Expand
  85. Sep 22, 2013
    I wish there was a way for users to delete reviews. I thought this was a great film but I want to delete the review under this profile, and so I write 150 words.
  86. Oct 5, 2013
    It depends upon WHY you want to see a movie. Do you want stunning eye candy? Wanna get lost in a gritty sci fi future? This is the movie for you. HOWEVER...If you want good acting (Jodie Foster was surprisingly, distractingly bad) a good plot, and to come out of the theater having learned something, this aint for you. There were a lot of unanswered questions.

Go for the beautiful

Go for the beautiful action and nothing more.
  87. Nov 29, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Why cant we all have rights, why cant we all have access to healthcare.

Great action packed movie with plenty to keep you entertained and think about subconsciously. Highly recommended.
  88. Aug 21, 2013
    Elysium is a fun movie that does not take itself too seriously, has excellent acting and great special effects. It has a good story set in the future but the science fiction element seems more like an excuse for exotic sets, costumes and special effects than an exploration of future themes. If you go expecting something nerdy and professorial you will be disappointed. If you are lookingElysium is a fun movie that does not take itself too seriously, has excellent acting and great special effects. It has a good story set in the future but the science fiction element seems more like an excuse for exotic sets, costumes and special effects than an exploration of future themes. If you go expecting something nerdy and professorial you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a good shoot em up at the movies, this is for you. Expand
  89. Dec 31, 2013
    Take away the expectations of previous movies, any political views, and any sensitivities you may have and just enjoy the movie. It's an interesting story, and the visuals are great, but the only thing that doesn't rate this higher, are the evil characters. They're psychotic and stupid, but dont get me wrong, if this movie had the story like Smokin Aces, than it'd make sense! But when youTake away the expectations of previous movies, any political views, and any sensitivities you may have and just enjoy the movie. It's an interesting story, and the visuals are great, but the only thing that doesn't rate this higher, are the evil characters. They're psychotic and stupid, but dont get me wrong, if this movie had the story like Smokin Aces, than it'd make sense! But when you take a serious story and add that, it doesnt go right at all. I wish there was more backstory to it, because some things just pop into play. But overall, i enjoyed the movie, and this is the 2nd film i finally watched despite the reviews giving it under 8. Im not listening to reviews anymore! Expand
  90. Sep 8, 2013
    I just got back from seeing "Elysium", and I must say, this film is probably the best sci-fi film I've seen all year. Not only does it have stellar visuals that are a mixture of Practical Effects and CGI, but it also has edge of your seat action, brilliant themes and an amazing antagonist. The main plot follows a Utopian space station paradise called Elysium, where the rich live to escapeI just got back from seeing "Elysium", and I must say, this film is probably the best sci-fi film I've seen all year. Not only does it have stellar visuals that are a mixture of Practical Effects and CGI, but it also has edge of your seat action, brilliant themes and an amazing antagonist. The main plot follows a Utopian space station paradise called Elysium, where the rich live to escape the dystopian overpopulated post-apocalyptic earth. Elysiums Secretary of Defense, Jessica Delacourt (Jodie Foster), is militant in stopping refugees from arriving on Elysium and will do whatever it takes to get her way/. Max De Costa (Matt Damon), a man who gets radiation poisoning and decides that he will do anything to reach Elysium, where he can be cured. Delacourt hires sadistic mercenary C.M. Kruger (Sharlto Copley) to stop him from achieving this feat, and Copley puts in a simply amazing and memorable performance

The film does have a few problems. The main character is under developed, apart from a basic outline saying that he is an orphan and former criminal who has ties to a resistance movement. He is show working for a robotics corporation, but it isn't really clear what he actually is. Is he some kind of robotics engineer or simply a factory worker? This is never stated. Jodie Foster's character is underused. I believe she should have had a more prominent role in the film, instead she seems to just pop up here and there, and I don't remember her and Mat Damon actually being on screen at the same time, apart from one scene which was only about 60 seconds long.

Sharlto Copley's character is amazing. He plays this twisted sadistic mercenary rapist perfectly. He seems to also have a unpredictable and bipolar personality, as he seems quite and passive at times and loud and violent at others. I would have liked to hear more about this characters history however, as it is not clear whether this character was also insane or was sent insane by is experiences in war and conflict. The effects in this film are exceptional. It uses the perfect blend of CGI and practical effects and uses them to great effect. The film also features alot of blood, gore and dismemberment, similar to older sci fi films such as Total Recall and Robocop and the much more recent Dredd.

If you like sci fi, please see this film. Even if you don't enjoy it, you will walk away with something to remember.,
  91. Apr 4, 2014
    I thought it was a good movie. I went in thinking it would be gimmicky or cheesy or had something to reinforce the low scores it's gotten on metacritic. Alas the reason is political of all things! re: America+mexico parallels. What to say...I haven't seen district 9 so this isn't really comparable to anything in my head. I was just surprised by how unpredictable the plot was during theI thought it was a good movie. I went in thinking it would be gimmicky or cheesy or had something to reinforce the low scores it's gotten on metacritic. Alas the reason is political of all things! re: America+mexico parallels. What to say...I haven't seen district 9 so this isn't really comparable to anything in my head. I was just surprised by how unpredictable the plot was during the whole movie. It wasn't at all cliche. The effects in this movie were amazing. I had originally thought they used slow motion to cover up bad effects. This wasn't the case at all. The effects were all top knotch. The weapon designs (assault rifle) in particular were very interesting and futuristic feeling. I just found it really enjoyable and different. Expand
  92. Aug 18, 2013
    I think that I can safely say this is the second best sci-fi movie released this year the first being Star Trek into darkness). The story of this movie is in the distant future where earth has become to overpopulated and it's nothing but a kraphole. So all the rich people have fled to the halo from the halo games and up there it's pretty much heaven. They have all These robot servantsI think that I can safely say this is the second best sci-fi movie released this year the first being Star Trek into darkness). The story of this movie is in the distant future where earth has become to overpopulated and it's nothing but a kraphole. So all the rich people have fled to the halo from the halo games and up there it's pretty much heaven. They have all These robot servants giving them everything and they have this medical bed where when someone lays on it and they are cured of all there problems. So that guy from sponge bob who had glass bones and paper skin would be right at home here, oh wait that was.. just... that rich guy..... oh. Well anyway, so one man named max (Matt Damon) is diseased with radiation during an accident on his job, so now he must put on this terminator suit and get up to Elysium and not just save his life but millions of people's lives on earth. Now the first thing I want to say about this movie are the actors and this casting was definitely great for this movie. First we have Matt Damon who was definitely a treat to have. I mean we have seen this guy kick ass in multiple other movies out there and it was no surprise that he did so in this movie. Then there was Jodie Foster who while not exactly stellar, she played her role as a very well, granted I could think of other actresses who could play Elysiums secretary, but she did good. However those actors don't even compare to the man who stole the show and that was Sharlto Copley as crouger (or however u spell his name). Crouger was pretty much the bad guy in this movie and he was a psychotic one, when he was on that screen, i was just smiling and shaking the entire time. He is just so uncomfortable to be around and that's what makes him so effective. One of the many rules in movie making is that u can't have a great film without a great villain. I mean think about it some of the all time greatest movies have had great villains, Star Wars, the avengers, Indiana Jones the list goes on and on. I also really liked the message that this movie portrayed about are society today. Some might argue that it gets a little preachy, but I respectfully disagree. When movies have these kinds of messages about or world today, it really just makes your mind think and makes u feel more attached to the movie as a whole. Overall there aren't any glaring flaws I can point out in this movie. This is a phenomenally crafted sci-fi movie and one that is very emersive and surprisingly, was released in August of all months. And this movie made me shed some man tears at the end. Any movie that can do that deserves the 10/10 rating in my opinion. Expand
  93. Aug 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, this movie is great. Matt Damon is one of my favorite actors and Niell Blomkamp is one of my favorite directors after the masterpiece that was/is District 9. That said, this movie is not without its faults. Sadly one of those faults is that this movie is not District 9 and honestly, in my opinion, this movie could never have stood up to District 9. But, there were annoyances. Incomplete character development, plot holes, a predictable ending, and Sharlto Copely, all minor annoyances. Inconsistencies are where this movie fell apart a little bit. Sharlto Copely's character gets his face blown off and it gets rebuilt by the medical pod, and so why can't Matt Damon be saved from the uploading of that information?! I buy the machine that heals, but i don't buy a resurrection machine. But, with that aside, there are many things about this movie that I loved: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, the special effects, the production design, and the underlying message (which may have been too obvious). Overall, I think that if the script had gone through the writers room another time the issues that took me out of the movie would've been resolved; but the things i loved about it outweigh the bad and overall it was a great movie that had a few annoyances. Expand
  94. Aug 12, 2013
    Movie was above average. Great special effects, great design. Had a very Halo vibe to it all. But the movie was very "paint by the numbers" and nothing really stood out. There weren't any moments of sheer awe or laughter or any other emotion. I would say def worth seeing but not in theaters, wait for Blu-ray.
  95. Aug 11, 2013
    I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but this movie I loved. It was interesting throughout,
    And wasn't just your average shooting blowing up sci-fi movies. It had a good back story and made you feel for the characters. Matt Damon was incredible in the role of Max and Sharlto Copley was very convincing as a psychopath bounty hunter type of character. This film has amazing special effects and was visually amazing. I highly recommend it.
  96. Aug 31, 2013
    A brilliant concept that makes some edgy, controversial points right from the beginning. Absolutely loved District 9, I don't feel it quite tied together the characters as well in Elysium, finding Damon a little deadpan but I guess that worked. Good, but not great.
  97. Oct 24, 2013
    Elysium is not a film for stupid people. Ultimately, critics and reviewers will pan the film simply because they're unaware of the sci-fi tropes and themes that it references. Like Tarantino, Blomkamp is demanding engagement from the viewer, and when one is able to shunt disbelief aside and enter his world, the brilliance of his vision and his technical ability in portraying it make it anElysium is not a film for stupid people. Ultimately, critics and reviewers will pan the film simply because they're unaware of the sci-fi tropes and themes that it references. Like Tarantino, Blomkamp is demanding engagement from the viewer, and when one is able to shunt disbelief aside and enter his world, the brilliance of his vision and his technical ability in portraying it make it an emotionally and intellectually satisfying experience. This is Asimov meets Orwell, it shows a depth of understanding of the nature and evolution of technology as well as the essential structures that produce it that should make most political scientists feel ashamed. Blomkamp isn't producing 'summer block buster entertainment' for the American masses, he's trying to create something artistic. This is not Lady Gaga, it's the White Stripes. A lot of critics will miss the joy of this movie by trying to watch it in terms of a summer blockbuster, instead of being aware that this is a director who will never (at least we hope) produce anything that Hollywood wants him to make. Blomkamp heavily references the scientific types found in novels like Dune and gives them a feeling of reality that is almost creepily grounded in today. A lot of critics ask questions like "how did people end up on Elysium". Well how have rich people in any time period distanced themselves from the masses? The answer is slowly. This is a film that will ultimately be beyond people who have never seen or noted how extreme income disparities develop and who have no feeling for how political economy works thorough technology. As such, many critics will try to cast it as a parody or satire of today's world, but in doing so will miss the point completely. This is the world of today taken to its logical end. Solid acting by Matt Damon who plays the everyman with a sort of pent up aggression that's important to the role. Jodie Foster's role is delightful, but ultimately, if a movie is defined by the quality of its villain, Foster is an antagonist but not the ultimate evil. That's reserved for Sharlito Copley, who's portrayal of Agent M Kruger brings chills, all the more so because his type of existence and the nature of his evil are so well recorded in history. But you'd have to know some history to know that and so we come back to the point; Elysium is an intelligent film for intelligent people, and many critics will bash it simply because they don't get it. I certainly don't expect the editor of Time Out London to do so. Frankly, I hope Blomkamp simply ignores them and that we continue to see the evolution of this fascinating artist. Expand
  98. Nov 27, 2013
    This movie is predictable and the character development is weak, the action and stunning special effects should be enough to keep the audiences entertained, and the critics pleased. A good movie overall.
  99. Aug 18, 2013
    Elysium is a well made science fiction romp. While it's theme is nothing new, and it doesn't bring a whole lot of innovation to the table, Elysium is visually stunning, very well acted, and expertly paced. There's nothing glaringly wrong with this movie, in fact, it's stands as one of the worthiest action films so far this year. Pay no mind to the average critic reviews; this movie is wellElysium is a well made science fiction romp. While it's theme is nothing new, and it doesn't bring a whole lot of innovation to the table, Elysium is visually stunning, very well acted, and expertly paced. There's nothing glaringly wrong with this movie, in fact, it's stands as one of the worthiest action films so far this year. Pay no mind to the average critic reviews; this movie is well made and a ton of fun. Expand
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    Going into this movie, i thought it would be okay. The trailer looked great but i hated district 9 so i was not sure how this would go down. But after i saw it, i thought it was amazing! Everything was done really well and the atmosphere it creates is fantastic. My only complaint is that sometimes during the action, the camera was moving way to much giving me a slight headache. However, itGoing into this movie, i thought it would be okay. The trailer looked great but i hated district 9 so i was not sure how this would go down. But after i saw it, i thought it was amazing! Everything was done really well and the atmosphere it creates is fantastic. My only complaint is that sometimes during the action, the camera was moving way to much giving me a slight headache. However, it only happened twice so overall, i approve of this movie.

9.5/10

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Aug 22, 2013
    Nothing in the movie matches the fascination of its premise and its opening 10 minutes: the undisturbed status quo is mesmeric. Once the narrative grinds into gear, however, the film's distinctive quality is lost.
  2. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 22, 2013
    In lesser hands, Elysium might have played like a Lib Dem manifesto with extra spaceships, but the South African filmmaker wants to explore ideas, not wave placards, and whether or not you agree with the film’s politics, the fire in its belly is catching.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Aug 9, 2013
    Blomkamp overdoes even his best effects. (I would have welcomed more vistas of Elysium to break up the grungefest.) If Elysium is an example of how recession-era Hollywood intends to dramatize the rift between the haves and the have-nots, let’s hope the studios don’t also bring back Smell-O-Rama.