Enemy

• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Mar 14, 2014
7.5

1. Mar 16, 2014
    I wasn´t expecting to like this movie that much, amazing plot and great acting .
  2. May 4, 2014
    One of the strangest and creepiest movies ive seen. While some people don't like unclear endings that are left up to the viewer to decide/decipher I absolutely love them. Never have I walked away from a movie in such deep thought and reflection on what ive seen. Gyllenhaal also gives what may be his best ever performance in this years best movie so far.
  3. May 1, 2014
    Even if I didn'y liked previously movies from Denis Villeneuve (which was Prisoners), Enemy is so much different that I'm really confused by final meaning of this movie. Great acting from Jake Gyllenhaal and great using of symbols makes very good movie.
  4. Dec 29, 2014
    This film is one of a kind. Not only do we get amazing performances from the actors especially Jake Gyllenhaal, but this film requires you to think. It requires you to do research on this film. It makes you sit there mouth agape by the end of the film. Not many films did that this year. You will be confused by this movie. And part of it is all the fun of watching.
  5. Mar 31, 2014
    A engrossing thriller on how deep and endless our minds truly are. As Villeneuve put it bluntly, if you like the sound of "A look into Jake Gyllenhaal's Subconscious", you should check Enemy out.
  6. May 23, 2014
    Enemy comes across as someone's nightmare. There are a few WTF moments, especially at the end, which elevate the film to another level. Gyllenhaal is great in this and becoming a "go to" actor for sci-fi.
  7. Mar 21, 2014
    Enemy is a beautifully shot, Very well acted and directed film about the mind of the subconscious, And the haunting imagery of spiders lingering other the city of Toronto, Captivating, Edge of your seat, Enemy is a incredible unforgettable film.
  8. WJS
    Dec 13, 2014
    Very interesting psychological thriller with a great performance from Jake Gyllenhaal and first rate direction from Denis Villeneuve, this movie is a serious mind **** Riveting from the get-go right up to its twisted shock ending, it's just the right length to avoid audience boredom. It has a slight Hitchcock feel to it, the cinematography is appropriately muted and it has an effectivelyVery interesting psychological thriller with a great performance from Jake Gyllenhaal and first rate direction from Denis Villeneuve, this movie is a serious mind **** Riveting from the get-go right up to its twisted shock ending, it's just the right length to avoid audience boredom. It has a slight Hitchcock feel to it, the cinematography is appropriately muted and it has an effectively eerie music sound track. Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2015
    The film is about a friend suggests he watch a particular video, a man recognizes the actor - as he looks exactly like him. He seeks out the actor and the two agree to meet - opening the door to something strange and sinister. This movie has a creepy score and a lot of people might not understand this movie but i did and that's why am giving this a good rating.
  10. Apr 11, 2014
    "Enemy" is a psychological, min-bending 87 mins, with masterful crafting and flexibility & Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a solid, fascinating performance that promises more to come. It is a must see!
  11. Sep 23, 2014
    his is not your traditional beginning, middle, and end story. The film has a non-linear element of story-telling, making it unique and unpredictable. People will be split on their feelings of "Enemy," those who are willing to sit through a very slow paced and simple story may or may not be rewarded with an abstract puzzle that awaits to be deciphered. I did appreciate the slow pacedhis is not your traditional beginning, middle, and end story. The film has a non-linear element of story-telling, making it unique and unpredictable. People will be split on their feelings of "Enemy," those who are willing to sit through a very slow paced and simple story may or may not be rewarded with an abstract puzzle that awaits to be deciphered. I did appreciate the slow paced build-up, yet was a bit disappointed at the amount of plot closure the film gave us. French-Canadian director, Denis Villeneuve's use of intense sounds and music with summer blockbuster-like camera shots contrasted greatly with the slow character driven and psychologically oriented story. It seemed as if the director was unsure of what kind of a movie he was making. The screenplay was very simple, yet very complicated, and that is greatly credited to Jake Gyllenhaal's performance, or should I say performances? The Toronto skyline setting added a suspenseful and ghost-town atmosphere to the movie, which is peculiar as Toronto is a loud and busy metropolis in reality. But perhaps the film is trying to convey that nothing is as it seems. Although Villeneuve chooses to not leave behind answers to creepy crawling questions, he gives you just enough tools to answer them yourself. Expand
  12. Mar 30, 2014
    One hell of a movie - the type of movie that gets me fired up to go to the theater. I'll simply call out the sickly yellow muck of the Toronto skyline as so effective. Loved it. And one critic suggested that the final shot is possibly the scariest he's ever seen in a film - I might have to agree.
  13. Feb 1, 2015
    A trippy mind game. There seems to be an audience for movies in which everything apparently has second meanings, and once you figure it out it "all" makes sense (but not really...). It makes the viewer feel smarter than the average Joe, and this absurd feeling of superiority propagates an opinion of greatness. But sometimes these second meanings and general obtuseness don't make for aA trippy mind game. There seems to be an audience for movies in which everything apparently has second meanings, and once you figure it out it "all" makes sense (but not really...). It makes the viewer feel smarter than the average Joe, and this absurd feeling of superiority propagates an opinion of greatness. But sometimes these second meanings and general obtuseness don't make for a great film, even with the meanings understood.

Scene by scene the film should work, should at least feel like growth and story in service of something. This isn't quite that. There are moments of great cinema in here, but even with an even interpretation, there are still long-winded scenes of ponderousness that don't further any sort of feeling for the story, outside of trying to provide some out of reach meaning.

What I mean is this: David Lynch makes great films with plots that can't be explained are are looped in some dream logic. But they still work even without meaning. This film never quite does.
  14. Mar 26, 2014
    Because this is such a polarizing film is the reason you need to see this. Prepare yourself, you will be thinking about this long after it's done. And might like it even more the second-viewing, which it's worth. Everything does make sense, as the director has stated, when it's given context. The opening line on the screen is: "Chaos is order undeciphered", so you know not everything isBecause this is such a polarizing film is the reason you need to see this. Prepare yourself, you will be thinking about this long after it's done. And might like it even more the second-viewing, which it's worth. Everything does make sense, as the director has stated, when it's given context. The opening line on the screen is: "Chaos is order undeciphered", so you know not everything is going to be spelled out to you in linear form (i.e. beginning, middle, end). It's moody (incredible photography, score) harkens back to great noirs and reminds me of The Game as directed by Cronenberg. Loved the underlining premise of fear and it's power over man's every decision. Expand
  15. Jul 19, 2014
    ENEMY is Denis Villeneuve’s back-to-back psychological drama with PRISONER (2013, 8/10), treads the water of a doppelgänger sub-genre, it is a neatly gripping head-scratcher hoisted by its jaw-dropping anti-climax (literally the flabbergasted final scene), and confidently beckons for repeated viewings, running succinctly within 90 minutes, Villeneuve knows how to play his game perfectly.ENEMY is Denis Villeneuve’s back-to-back psychological drama with PRISONER (2013, 8/10), treads the water of a doppelgänger sub-genre, it is a neatly gripping head-scratcher hoisted by its jaw-dropping anti-climax (literally the flabbergasted final scene), and confidently beckons for repeated viewings, running succinctly within 90 minutes, Villeneuve knows how to play his game perfectly.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  16. Aug 8, 2014
    I am surprised at the mixed response to this one from the audience, but I really liked Enemy. It was unique, weird, and incredibly confusing, but that is what makes it fun at the end of the day. I love films that leave you wondering, "What the hell did I just watch?" and this one fits the bill to a t. Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal here as Adam Bell and Anthony Claire. He plays these twoI am surprised at the mixed response to this one from the audience, but I really liked Enemy. It was unique, weird, and incredibly confusing, but that is what makes it fun at the end of the day. I love films that leave you wondering, "What the hell did I just watch?" and this one fits the bill to a t. Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal here as Adam Bell and Anthony Claire. He plays these two different, but very similar men brilliantly and is able to switch between the two at the drop of a hat, which is really cool to watch. In addition, it is gorgeously filmed. I loved the lighting at night and, on top of that, the shots during the day are also very beautiful. It truly is eye candy. It also functions great as a psychological thriller as, even though it slow going in the beginning, when it kicks into high gear, you are left wondering "Wtf wtf wtf wtf" as events unfold. This was one of my most anticipated films of 2014 and now that I have finally been able to see it, it does not disappoint at all. I have no idea what any of it means, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this one will benefit from repeat viewings. Expand
  17. Jul 3, 2014
    Whoever watched the movie 'Prisoners' will definitely expect like the much mount Everest, because it was the next feature film from the same director. Which will also lead to disappointment for the majority because it was detached from entertainment in the far distance. You can call it an art movie, but the materials used for the story were somehow stronger. I mean for the grown ups andWhoever watched the movie 'Prisoners' will definitely expect like the much mount Everest, because it was the next feature film from the same director. Which will also lead to disappointment for the majority because it was detached from entertainment in the far distance. You can call it an art movie, but the materials used for the story were somehow stronger. I mean for the grown ups and especially for a man with patience. It deal about a middle aged man and his world of desires towards sex and irresponsibility in the life he lives.

It was adapted from a novel called 'The Double'. Looks like the title was not available then changed it to 'Enemy'. Not a bad title either, but slightly misleads especially after watcher 'Prisoners'. Adam is a history professor and his life is a less joyous. His mother is worried about him for being careless. One day by chance he discovers something while watching a movie that knocks his inner consciousness. He begins to give more interest on it and prepare to solve the mystery. The venture he's after is supposed to take place smoothly, but it didn't. Hits back to his life and scatters the pieces of his own identity.

‘‘Never know how your day
    is gonna turn out.’’

I must make you understand that it was like a jigsaw puzzle. The story just happens and it won't expose completely with proper description. Like the outer layer of a fruit, but inside there are lots of stuffs to figure it out by ourselves. If you are a smart enough, you will sketch your own conclusion by joining the pieces. For that you may need to watch twice. Revealing my opinion may end in spoiler, but wanted to say that the story was programmed to handle a man's irresponsibility and desire. Both were symbolically exposed its identity and rest of the things leaves for the audience to observe closely, otherwise you will miss the important point.

I yet to watch 'The Double', the description kind of match to this. Nowadays this thing keeps happening frequently like recently ones 'Olympus Has Fallen' and 'White House Down'. Anyway, Jake Gyllenhaal was awesome in this movie. Almost 90 per cent of the movie frames had captured his presence. Without a doubt its a one man show. He's becoming a great personality in Hollywood, but it was not a Hollywood flick. Finally, one more time I will remind you that it is not a piece of cake for everyone, choose it if you are not preferring entertainment.
  18. Oct 7, 2014
    I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen for the entire movie. The tone was even and powerful throughout, the intrigue didn't let up for a scene or a second, the score and the composition were supremely complimentary. I saw the trailer and knew I wanted to see this movie and I can assure you that there's a lot more going on here than that teaser would have you think. This is a movieI couldn't take my eyes off of the screen for the entire movie. The tone was even and powerful throughout, the intrigue didn't let up for a scene or a second, the score and the composition were supremely complimentary. I saw the trailer and knew I wanted to see this movie and I can assure you that there's a lot more going on here than that teaser would have you think. This is a movie that will leave you anxious and hungry for an explanation. There are a lot of great discussions on the film's meaning and I think it's pretty subjective. This is a movie that unapologetically breaks the template of contemporary film expectations. You haven't seen anything like this, you likely won't again and comparing it to anything else would be a stretch. Expand
  19. May 24, 2014
    This movie is one of the best movies of 2014. However it isn't for everyone. This is not the traditional linear story line in movies that contain beginning, middle, and end. I can understand if someone dislikes this movie. This movie leaves a lot to interpretation, and the ending may make people say, "What the **** Though this movie made me confused, going online and looking at theoriesThis movie is one of the best movies of 2014. However it isn't for everyone. This is not the traditional linear story line in movies that contain beginning, middle, and end. I can understand if someone dislikes this movie. This movie leaves a lot to interpretation, and the ending may make people say, "What the **** Though this movie made me confused, going online and looking at theories makes me appreciate the movie more. Performances are great with Jake Gyllenhaal as both Adam and Anthony being the star of it. The cinematography is beautiful and the score very eerie. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  20. Jul 28, 2015
    A truly captivating yet exceedingly confusing art-house film that left me thinking that I must watch it again; and on a couple more viewings the film becomes so much more clear.
    The films message is constantly yet subtly given through dialogue, imagery and metaphors that make it hard to keep up with, as there is only a 86 minute mark to build up and finalise the films themes. The film is a mind bender for sure but it is maybe best to go into viewing with this in mind. Jake Gyllenhaal’s character is battling something; what I will not spill. He must deal with it and fix the problem. The film also heavily links itself with dictatorship and women, so take note of this and watch the screen carefully. Basically, without spoiling anything, the films message and themes are executed in maybe a bit too indistinguishable way but once you’ve figured it out it becomes an incredibly interesting film.
    The films pacing wasn’t too bad but then it was only 86 minutes so it didn’t have to worry itself about that too much. Directing was very nice and really helped highlight the films message visually. The acting was good all round, but nothing extremely award worthy here. Most enjoyably is the last 15 minutes of the film, which are perfectly delivered for the audience to sit there tensely and afterwards deliberate over; and with this comes one of the creepiest and scariest finales I have ever witnessed!
    Sound design and the soundtrack to the film add exquisitely to the films tone and atmosphere, but doesn’t overpower itself. The dark and brooding atmosphere feels like something out of a Fincher classic.
    Overall the film is well worth the watch but with maybe not too friendly a viewing for people don’t don’t want to think too hard the film is not too easily accessible, quite an elitist film perhaps. I would give this film a 7.6ish or a bit more, and so will round up to 8. I don’t believe the film has warranted itself an 8 but it Is definitely more than a 7 and better than what some people have made it out to be. Very enjoyable but not easily digestible; Will take a few bites.
    7.6/10
  21. chw
    Aug 1, 2014
    Enemy was quite strange. After watching Prisoners, I expected more from this (because of the same director), but this movie could've been a Coen brothers movie, since their style is out there...
  22. Apr 16, 2016
    The cinematography was superb, the acting was amazing and the movie was interesting and unpredictable.Enemy definitely is a movie you should not miss.
  23. Jun 2, 2014
    An amazing movie. It made me feel and think. It leads the viewer down a dark and curious path. And the feeling stays with you as you think about the movie for days afterwords. This is art. It is not for people looking for an anesthesia in the form of mindless action-comedy. Most amazingly it makes Mississauga look fascinating and mysterious.
  24. Aug 15, 2014
    Silent but Deadly this film is unique, great performance by Jake Gyllenhaal the plot is scattered around like a puzzle in desperate need for an intelligent audience to solve it.
  25. Jan 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Leave it to those French Existentialists to leave you with a huge tarantula vagina for no apparent reason in a closet, then say "See ya!" was it all just a dream? Was Sarah Gadon the sexy performer at the beginning? Was she a huge Spider? Are we supposed to look at the traits of a tarantula and see how they are like the human species? And the car scene with lovely and talented Melanie and Jakers is that to show yes, they are a volatile couple that would never work, so let's get them out of here, and le deux sensitives end of together but of course, it's tough to order up brunch and cuddle when what, there's always that evil sinister spider breathing down that neck of yours. Will he be a partner, the neck..or the spider? Are spiders like women, in their soft but dangerous way, "C'mon, guys really?!" You didn't have an ending, admit it. And no, it doesn't count that we saw one under a stripper/performer's wonderful and strange high-heel at the start of the noir cinematique.I just don't know. Will this be brought up in the next meeting? Because I am out to lunch and unavailable. Geez Louise, monsieur. Too bad, because I totally dig all that Sunday afternoon vacant outdoor set like its The Science Center or Thorncliffe Park, that certain element of Dead ringers Cronenberg, very isolating and odd, be it windy or just grey. Loved the music, made you really want to keep watching thinking Boy, this is going to be nuts! Too bad, it really drew me in. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jan 15, 2015
    Does it add up to much? Not really. Not finally. But it’s a suggestive puzzle-box of a picture, worth turning over in your palm.
  2. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Jan 9, 2015
    Gyllenhaal is engaged and engaging in Denis Villeneuve’s adventure in psychological surrealism: let’s hope they stay friends.
  3. Reviewed by: Patrick Gamble
    Jan 8, 2015
    Choosing to focus more time on the uncoordinated instinctual trends of the subconscious rather than the moralising role of the cognisant, Enemy lacks the humanity to relate to on an emotional level, ultimately tempering the brooding anxiety and distilling our intrigue into mild curiosity towards the oblique narrative rather than fostering the original menace into something more substantial.