7.7

1. msm
    Dec 22, 2013
    The sole redeeming character is that of Gandolfini. The women hate men. JL Dreyfuss engages in emotional betrayal and abuse of a person who only is nice to her. Movie has meaningless subplots, like how to fire a housekeeper that borders on racist; who cares about the man who lives on a walk up why is it triumphant to have JLD ask for the man's help finally (a man portrayed as thoughtless, even though he is obviously paying for a service). The only nice relationship is between JLD and her daughter's friend. Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2013
    This was barely even a movie! Turning a camera on a random couple for 90 minutes would produce more interesting banter. Marginal screenwriting at best.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    I must be totally out of sync with what this film is purported to be...although I am almost the exact demographic target for it. I look for movies about people and where nothing explodes.
    How was this a rom-com? Where were the laughs? And I do not see any thing like tears either...although I admit I nodded off at least 3 times! This was NOT as "Good as it Gets."
    What was this movie
    about and why should I care? Basically, to me, it's a movie about nothing. You can not compare it to Woody Allen, where at least there are loads of subplots and underplots. Even when his efforts fail there is a lot to look at even if it's just great scenery. There's not even scenery in this dud..
    I do think the interest in this movie has more to do with wanting to see Gandolphini's last work and that is coloring the responses. There was nothing that stood out in Enough Said. I don't even know what that title means. There was no interesting direction, no production values, no quirkiness or revelations. It was almost horrifically blah.
    Finally, I am done with critics who duped me into see the tedious Amour with their rave reviews.
    I am just so grateful I didn't drag my husband to this promising it would be a lot better than he thought. What a bore.
  4. Sep 30, 2013
    Contrived Hollywood story falls flat on its face about 2 3 of the way through the movie followed by 20 or 30 minutes of nothing and a completely implausible ending pasted on at the very end. The casting is awful, the ex's are all intolerable and the dialogue is frequently bad. This movie will be remembered only as Gandolfini's last role in about 15 seconds.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Oct 21, 2013
    Assured, adult filmmaking from a writer/director who knows her way around the ups and downs of relationships.
  2. Reviewed by: Cath Clarke
    Oct 15, 2013
    Nicole Holofcener has a reputation for making Woody Allen-ish chick-flicks. Which sounds like a snidey compliment. Enough Said is her best yet.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby