Epic

6.2

1. Jun 8, 2013
    A case of gross mis titling as Epic is anything but. It is in fact just a below par toon full of cutesy characters, predictable plot points, good vs evil, boy meets girl, blah, blah. There is no faulting the imagination in the animation as is generally the case in these types of film, but this one feels particularly adult resistant. There are a couple of good scenes( the meeting with theA case of gross mis titling as Epic is anything but. It is in fact just a below par toon full of cutesy characters, predictable plot points, good vs evil, boy meets girl, blah, blah. There is no faulting the imagination in the animation as is generally the case in these types of film, but this one feels particularly adult resistant. There are a couple of good scenes( the meeting with the deer, and the dog chasing the lead characters round the laboratory) or moments one in particular is very funny), but mainly it's an exercise in irritating tedium. I particularly disliked the father, and the snail and slug should have been trodden under foot. Expand
  2. May 27, 2013
    I was truly torn by this movie. On one hand it was stunningly beautiful and the animation flowed at the high standard I have put for Blue Sky Studios. On the other hand I loathed the main characters. I honestly feel as if the movie would have been so much better if the Lead male role was either replaced by the secondary male role or just didn't appear. The movie asked me to like aI was truly torn by this movie. On one hand it was stunningly beautiful and the animation flowed at the high standard I have put for Blue Sky Studios. On the other hand I loathed the main characters. I honestly feel as if the movie would have been so much better if the Lead male role was either replaced by the secondary male role or just didn't appear. The movie asked me to like a character that was shallow, vain and disassociated from the main conflict, and still wanted me to like him at the end where his "emotional change and growth" really wasn't big enough to warrant any change in how I perceived him. All in All this is a very good looking film but that doesn't make up for the massive deficiency in character development. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2015
    I watch all these animated movies with my kids and I usually like them. Shrek, Ice Age, Hoodwinked ..... you name it.

I was looking forward to this one, but the whole family ended up agreeing it was awful. I shouldn't have been. Interesting concept, great animation, evil villain to thwart, exiting battles ... etc. BUT the two central characters (the hero and heroine) were really

I shouldn't have been. Interesting concept, great animation, evil villain to thwart, exiting battles ... etc. BUT the two central characters (the hero and heroine) were really dislikeable.

Disappointing. Even worse than Bee Movie.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    Not a good movie. Lacks on story and characters. And did I mention story is not that good?? Took my 6 year old daughter to see this as she loves going to the movies. First and only movie (so far) she asked to leave before it was over. Very boring. Skip it
  5. GFC
    Jun 23, 2013
    Alright so I saw the trailer for this movie and I got excited. Epic looked like it was going to be an above average film. But when I went there it was just a complete bore. Its has the typical characters that you would expect and an unoriginal Idea. Remember ant story or whatever it was called? Also this movie got to repetitive with its action scenes. They were the exact same every time.Alright so I saw the trailer for this movie and I got excited. Epic looked like it was going to be an above average film. But when I went there it was just a complete bore. Its has the typical characters that you would expect and an unoriginal Idea. Remember ant story or whatever it was called? Also this movie got to repetitive with its action scenes. They were the exact same every time. This is a movie I think you should all avoid unless you are very curios. Collapse
  6. Jan 3, 2016
    After looking forward to seeing both "Epic" by Blue Sky Studios and "Frozen" by Disney, I saw both of them this weekend.

The main character of "Epic" looks like a twin of the main character of "Frozen". Also, one movie deals with cold vs warm and the other deals with decay vs growth. Finally, both movies rely a lot on beautiful nature shots. For these reasons, I felt I should review both together.

"Frozen" was much better than I expected. Frozen reminded me a lot of traditional Disney classics like Snow White, Dumbo or Bambi. Yes there was singing, but the singing was surprisingly traditional without sounding corny and outdated. Unlike in most cartoons that involve singing, in "Frozen" it enhanced the experience rather than being a turn-off.

"Frozen" also had a rather well-developed story. It wasn't a traditional good-vs-evil story where the good were perfect and the bad haven't got a single redeeming quality. It also wasn't yet another generic "we must remain ourselves and fight tradition" story like Mulan, Brave and so many others out there. The characters felt more real than I'm used to in a Disney flick and combined with some humor that actually works, that makes "Frozen" one of the most entertaining animations I've seen in a long time.

"Epic" was an "epic failure" in all of these area. The characters were bland and generic. The story was bland and generic and felt like they mixed "Arthur and the Minimoys", "Antz" and "Ferngully" together, then filtered until nothing interesting was left.

The humor didn't work either. As silly as the talking snowman in "Frozen" may look, he actually did work as a comic relief. His actions were funny, his words were funny and he complemented the heroes of the movie well. In "Epic", a snail and a slug served the very same purpose, only they were annoying as h***. Think Jar Jar Bing annoying and worse.

The only thing that works in "Epic" are its visuals. If I just wanted to look at pretty pictures, both "Frozen" and "Epic" would be equally beautiful. The problem is that a movie is more than pretty pictures. A movie is entertainment and needs to entertain. While "Frozen" was much better than I expected, "Epic" was much worse.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 6, 2013
    The ratio of humor and action and parent-child bonding is so formulaic, and the character design and molded-figurine-like animation so typical of the genre in the age of Pixar (and Pixar imitators), that Epic evaporates from the mind within minutes of leaving the theater.
  2. Reviewed by: Jenny McCartney
    May 27, 2013
    The diminution works its appeal once again in Epic – the latest film from the creators of "Ice Age" and "Rio" – which is just as well, because the rest of the narrative follows a rather predictable route.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Rose
    May 27, 2013
    What stands out is the animation. The microcosmic woodland world is luminous and detailed, and there's a nice disconnect of scale whereby humans appear as lumbering, slow-motion giants.