Equilibrium

8.6

1. Feb 22, 2013
    Equilibrium is an underground Sci-Fi film with a huge cult following. If you ask any other Sci-Fi geek, they'll probably have Equilibrium in their top ten list, but I couldn't tell you why. The film is vintage Sci-Fi, with a semi-original idea, unfortunately, the cast just didn't pull it off. I've never been a huge Christian Bale fan and this movie is a prime example of why. He's given aEquilibrium is an underground Sci-Fi film with a huge cult following. If you ask any other Sci-Fi geek, they'll probably have Equilibrium in their top ten list, but I couldn't tell you why. The film is vintage Sci-Fi, with a semi-original idea, unfortunately, the cast just didn't pull it off. I've never been a huge Christian Bale fan and this movie is a prime example of why. He's given a role that suites him perfectly and he mumbles and relies on the rest of the cast to carry him. In the future, emotions and things that evoke emotions are outlawed, and Bale is one of the men responsible for enforcing these laws, but he soon turns to the other side, when he accidentally feels an emotion for the first time. Bale is a cold guy to begin with. He never shows much emotion even when his role calls for it, so aside from Keanu Reeves, he was the best choice for this role. The story was a little out there and the effects were over the top, but it's Bale himself who puts the icing on the turd cake. He's completely dependent on his fellow cast members and the ridiculous special effects his character is given. Maybe I'm just not that bright, but I really don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with this movie. The cast wasn't anything special and the story was okay at best. Expand
  2. GaborA.
    Dec 6, 2003
    The back drop and set up of the society is a poor rip off from various works. However, the cast, visuals, and plot twists held out until the very end when the movie becomes a bloody mess followed by a bullshit hollywood ending. The film did not stimulate my mind too much, but it took its place in my imagination right next all the ideas it was based on so whenever i think about 1984 i add The back drop and set up of the society is a poor rip off from various works. However, the cast, visuals, and plot twists held out until the very end when the movie becomes a bloody mess followed by a bullshit hollywood ending. The film did not stimulate my mind too much, but it took its place in my imagination right next all the ideas it was based on so whenever i think about 1984 i add some action scenes inspired by this movie to make it more interesting. Expand
  3. Jan 17, 2015
    There is far too much action, which is rather poorly done, and effects that were mediocre in 2002. However, it contains a surprisingly deep pseudo-intellectual premise and story that would could have carried the movie if it wasn't also trying way too hard to be like other, vastly superior Sci-Fi films.
  4. Mar 15, 2015
    A solid movie with grey atmosphere and some really good action lines. On the other hand, confusing and dull parts are obviously inevitable despite of mediocre Bale performance .

1. Super- violent, super-serious and super-stupid.
    Equilibrium doesn't tread softly on our dreams; it tramples them.
  3. The best thing about Equilibrium is its impressive look. Along with its generally fine cast and some well-choreographed fights, that goes a long way to making the movie watchable -- despite its underlying stupidity.