Equilibrium

8.6

1. Aug 26, 2010
    I just can't understand the critics sometimes. This movie is great! Don't just always think about '' how crazy idea the storyline is''. This movie has a inner message, and it is beautiful, exiting, and so true. I recommend you to watch, people who give points like 1-6 instead of 7-10, are just too stupid to understand this. Definetly a worth of your time.
  2. Aug 23, 2011
    The critics who reviewed this terrific movie are morons. Judging from the list of bad movies they gave good reviews for its no surprise. This film is one of the best sci fi action movies ever. You don't have to appreciate the ideas that are presented but cannot deny its powerful impact. We ourselves are the evil we try so hard to oppose. Our ideas and judgements about humanity are all atThe critics who reviewed this terrific movie are morons. Judging from the list of bad movies they gave good reviews for its no surprise. This film is one of the best sci fi action movies ever. You don't have to appreciate the ideas that are presented but cannot deny its powerful impact. We ourselves are the evil we try so hard to oppose. Our ideas and judgements about humanity are all at stake no matter how its presented. And this film does a great job of elevating that narrative. Expand
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Jamais vous n'aimerez voir des acteurs aussi fades dans un film, car le manque d'expression, voilà le thème principal d'Equilibrium. Et devoir faire ça durant tout le film, cela relève du miracle. C'est pour ça que le film est une preuve de plus qui confirme l'immense talent de Christian Bale, qui s'enivre àJamais vous n'aimerez voir des acteurs aussi fades dans un film, car le manque d'expression, voilà le thème principal d'Equilibrium. Et devoir faire ça durant tout le film, cela relève du miracle. C'est pour ça que le film est une preuve de plus qui confirme l'immense talent de Christian Bale, qui s'enivre à merveille d'émotions au fil de l'histoire, sans se cacher au spectateur. Un jeu d'acteur remarquable qui enjolive l'ambiance hypnotique d'Equilibrium, à la mise en scène soignée et au scénario bien plus complexe qu'il n'y parait sous ses airs de shooter movie. Mais non sans défaut, car c'est sous son apparence de blockbuster (surtout pour la fin) que le film se perd (malgré des fusillades assez stylées), entâchant quelque peu les superbes et intenses moments où Bale parle avec ses yeux. Et je ne parlerai pas des effets numériques... En somme, Equilibrium est un très bon film, mais qui aurait pu se passer du côté "action" pour être encore meilleur. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    The Metacritic division of critics and users reflects my stance on this movie: The inner critic hates it finds it ridiculous and lacking, while the inner user enjoys the fresh straightness of it, and the audacity to infuse the mindless action with a subversive message.
  5. Apr 19, 2012
    Equlibrium With Christian Bale

Its an interesting movie. Maybe for people that studied world war two and hitler. They mention Hitler in the film. The movie revolves around the idea of strong feelings being illegal. A police state enforces this, and can terminate and incinerate â
  6. Sep 8, 2012
    This is seriously one of the greatest action movies I've ever seen. The action is awesome, the premise, while simple, is incredibly effective, and you have Christian Bale. Winning combination if I've ever seen one.
  7. Mar 29, 2015
    Yes, "Equilibrium" borrows heavily from other, better sci-fi pieces - like "The Matrix," "Gattaca," and "Fahrenheit 451," to name a few - but damn is it fun to watch.
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    Set in a fictional dystopia, where having feelings is a crime and are being prevented by medication, this action/thriller movie has an interesting concept and nicely done action sequences.
    What I liked: Christian Bale was perfect for this role. The same emotionless facial expressions he used in "American Psycho" really helped bringing the character to life. The stunts are excellent as well. The concept of this ficional dystopia is really interesting.
    What I didn't like: The movie had a few unrealistic scenes and plotholes and the action sequences were over-the-top. If you're too much into realism, you might have a problem with this movie.
  9. Jan 15, 2015
    Christian Bale,conta com uma super performance,uma brilhante história e cenas **** Yeah!!!.
    Sean Bean um pouco que aparece já deixa sua marca no filme com uma brilhante performance. Como disse uma história brilhante que talvez com um orçamento maior teria um resultado mais interessante porém mesmo assim o filme ficou ótimo
  10. Aug 14, 2014
    It was good! far worse films have been given completely unjustified high scores on this website. Take guardians of the galaxy for example. Absolute rubbish! Yet it gets a ridiculously high score.
  11. Dec 19, 2013
    Totally under-appreciated and misinterpreted film.
    This is one of my all time favorite movies, yet I have a hard time
    defending it now as a serious piece of cinema, and I'm not sure why. It gets low ratings on all the major film sites despite tons of great actions scenes, a huge overarching story line, great attention to detail, and a terrific performance by Christian Bale. The
    Totally under-appreciated and misinterpreted film.
    This is one of my all time favorite movies, yet I have a hard time
    defending it now as a serious piece of cinema, and I'm not sure why. It
    gets low ratings on all the major film sites despite tons of great
    actions scenes, a huge overarching story line, great attention to
    detail, and a terrific performance by Christian Bale.

The Story: The dictator ruled state of Libria force-feeds its citizens
    drugs to suppress their emotions, and in fact, feeling emotion is
    entirely illegal. Punishment is death.

Overactive emotions have been known to cause many of humanity's
    previous atrocities and wars, so to vanquish emotion is to therefore
    benefit humankind. There is a method to the madness; this film is set
    right after world war III, and emotion suppression is modern humanity's
    solution for preventing world war IV.

Of course there are those that do not see this repression as a benefit
    and so an underground resistance forms. Although the plot is
    excellently executed, the dystopian theme comes across as just a little
    bit too close (for some, not for me) to an exact replica of an
    Orwellian model. Equilibrium has been accused of being unoriginal, a
    mere mishmash of well-known various Sci- Fi stories.

I was never bothered by this mishmash. Examining the film shows there
    are more than enough original features, features that people must be
    overlooking when judging, because the originality more than counter
    balances the borrowed material.

The top ranking law enforcement officials are (I think very cleverly)
    called Clerics. They employ the use a fictitious fighting style called
    the Gun Kata. The Gun Kata a major part of the film and makes for some
    amazing scenes. The details about the world are so specific that it
    really is an amazing accomplishment on writer/director Kurt Whimmer's
    part. Whimmer makes a living mainly as a writer, Equilibrium being one
    of only two major features he's directed.

As I said earlier, Christian Bale gives a great performance, handling
    almost all the fight scenes himself, and due to budget constraints,
    only being allowed a handful of takes to get each set of complex
    choreography right. Director Whimmer makes excellent use of light and
    space, pleading his case for humanity's right to "feel" as light peeks
    through the drab gray tones of the photography, rarely, but just
    enough.

Equilibrium is the biggest box office flop of a film I can think of.
    For how epic it is, the 20 million dollar budget seems miniscule, but
    its total to-date gross is $1.2 million, a totally pathetic ratio.
    Equilibrium appeared around the same time as the Matrix was doing its
    thing and so Equilibrium got very little press. The two films share a
    similar vibe and since Equilibrium came out second, it loses points for originality, and even though The Matrix is undoubtedly a great achievement, Christina Bale is hands-down the better lead (I'm not too fond of Keanu Reeves). Just based on that fact alone Equilibrium is worth checking out.
  12. Jul 23, 2015
    The themes and messages, which, while maintaining depth, loses its capacity and strength due to its copycat of many classics (too many to name). It's no stupid film by any means, and I always have faith in Christian Bale. He is phenomenal. But it is too unoriginal to deem a classic. Despite this, I am unanimous in my confusion for the hatred critics gave this film. The action sequencesThe themes and messages, which, while maintaining depth, loses its capacity and strength due to its copycat of many classics (too many to name). It's no stupid film by any means, and I always have faith in Christian Bale. He is phenomenal. But it is too unoriginal to deem a classic. Despite this, I am unanimous in my confusion for the hatred critics gave this film. The action sequences alone are some of the most awesome and intricate I've seen. This movie's feel, look and style make it one hell of an experience. Expand
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    First of all I am not saying the movie is perfect because of the fact that there is no such thing as perfect even though the director maybe could have wanted to see the movie that way. Second of all I am not saying the movie is dark and melancholic because its really not, eventually. Third, the movie was pretty great for those honest needing people reading this.

I cannot undergo being

I cannot undergo being selfish and saying that the movie reminds me a little bit of "The Matrix" (1999) which is one of my most favourite movies of all time. Everyone will or is thinking that. The cut-scenes are probably at its peak of that time, now I'm not even hailing Bales performance and his scenes. Even the acting from the children are fantastic.

The storyline for the main characters are fulfilling yes, the script is detailed and deep enough to be intriguing. I must give credit to the intro of the movie. Somehow it wants one to look away from fascism and at the same time to understand why and how. I believe its called somewhat of a mixed feeling you could say.

The outro needs to be cut down in two to be understood. Just as a human face is divided in symmetry depending on where you cut it. Leaving the whole brain of the story behind of what to happen hereafter with one man's face looking forward in the future of the horizon of tomorrow. From the top again: satisfying surprising and curious.
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    I love the difference between the User and Critic score, but I liked this movie because I liked the world that was presented and the characters even though they didn't need any emotion (major plot point)
  15. Oct 13, 2014
    I feel the need to clear the air here. There is a massive disparity between the very poor reviews this movie received from critics and the massive praise it enjoyed from viewers. Do not believe either. Users who have given this movie 10/10 are out of their minds--it is simply not that good--and critics who have panned it are being too harsh. Although this an exceedingly half-baked re-hashI feel the need to clear the air here. There is a massive disparity between the very poor reviews this movie received from critics and the massive praise it enjoyed from viewers. Do not believe either. Users who have given this movie 10/10 are out of their minds--it is simply not that good--and critics who have panned it are being too harsh. Although this an exceedingly half-baked re-hash of Orwell and Huxley, it is nonetheless an entertaining and not entirely mindless action flick. The fight sequences are, for the most part, pretty good and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the inventive nature of the gun battles (a unique if not entirely realistic idea that you simply need to see if you want to get it). While you shouldn't expect anything particularly profound or original, this movie is not completely mindless. On the whole, I recommend you give it a try. But go in with both eyes open and don't expect too much. If you approach this film from that perspective and don't take it too seriously I think you will genuinely enjoy it. 6.5/10, imho. Expand
  16. Feb 16, 2015
    When I watch a movie I want two things: I want to be entertained, and I want a story I can follow.

Equilibrium gives me both. If you don't compare it to the Matrix or any other action movie, it's pretty good. Christian Bale's character doesn't start out good. He's actually a really bad guy. You watch his character grow throughout the movie. You really end up hating the bad guys

Equilibrium gives me both.

You really end up hating the bad guys in a good way. You root for Christian Bale's character, not because he's such a good guy, but because he's taking it to the bad guys.

The action sequences are not realistic. No, they are not.

But if I wanted realistic I'd go to public square and watch the drunks box it out.

I go to the movies to escape reality, and this movie did exactly that.

On the negative side, it seemed the black guy and the main villain were pretty emotional. Smiling is a sign of happiness, and shouting is a sign of being upset in some way. So that was very stupid.

It's not perfect. The characters don't have much personality, but it has a good story.

1. Super- violent, super-serious and super-stupid.
    Equilibrium doesn't tread softly on our dreams; it tramples them.
  3. The best thing about Equilibrium is its impressive look. Along with its generally fine cast and some well-choreographed fights, that goes a long way to making the movie watchable -- despite its underlying stupidity.