8.5

1. LD3
    Jun 12, 2015
    Q: 'What's the purpose of life without emotion?'

The answer is a lesson in senseless plagiarism, a hodgepodge collage of the worst bits ripped from diverse sources such as Frank Herbert's seminal 1966 "The The Eyes of Heisenberg", Orwell's quintessential "1984" and others, that neither moves, antagonizes, entertains nor challenges the viewer in any way. Taking place in some
    Q: 'What's the purpose of life without emotion?'

Taking place in some futuristic communist society, some desk occupying "Grammar Druid"- has a job to do: search and destroy every article that can be associated with art and bring to justice the proprietors. Art is bad because art provokes emotions and emotions lead to anger and anger leads to the dark side and war, as we're all familiar with the Bhagavad-Gita ("From attachment desire arises, from desire anger is born; from anger comes confusion" etc.). What is "art" though? Is it beauty? No. That would conflict with the vanity mirrors, statues, architecture and other things of beauty appearing in the movie.

Luckily for us the movie has a simple answer to make it easier on our feverish minds: "art" is conveniently identifiable and distinguishable by color. Because, of course nothing that's either black nor white can constitute art, and can therefore stir emotions- ergo anything color is art! In the year 2072, in an unsaturated future, human beings have devolved out of capability to emotionally interact with objects colored either black or white. So in conclusion: black and white- fine, color- bad. That's what they teach you in druid camp. Also luckily- people, dressed or not- don't stir emotions, as well as things such as sunsets or stubbing the pinky toe... so the risk lies with the two following groups: 1.) Knick-knacks. 2.) Puppies. One must shoot those puppies dead real good, especially colored ones, because puppies evoke parental EMOTIONS, and before you know it puppies=WW4, but I'm running ahead of myself with the anti-puppy agenda and parentalism... I'll get back to that soon.

Unfortunately, the problem of "defining art" is but a symptom of a much deeper problem. You see, barring art and beauty, the depicted world should have been stripped to the bone from every aspect which is not purely functional: all men and women with buzz cuts, no makeup, no tanning or color industry etc. However, and this is the main point- that spartan functionality should have been captured by the cinematography and music as well, so absolutely no stylish shooting and no evocative music until that very moment where the protagonist first starts to feel! perhaps even monochromatic shooting until that very moment, after which you allow color to start "leaking in" or entirely saturate reality, depending on your directorial interpretation. The dissonance between "WHAT you're told" about the world versus "the MEANS by which you're being told" shows total misunderstanding of the craft. So much could and should have been done with this.

Moving on... aided by the arcane knowledge of such mystic ways as "Statistics" and "Way of Chuck Norris" which distinguish him from his unlearned aim-to-miss colleagues- nothing and no one can stand in the way of our hero on his path of cold and uninteresting destruction. You can make a good short film about the inverse ratio between the effort put in the elaborate Gun-Fu moves and the viewers interest.

In order to become a more efficient law-enforcer our hero takes a kind of emotion suppressing drug. Sure- all people do in this film, however there's a specific reason why it's of paramount importance that our druid takes his pills- that's because we soon enough discover that the drug also raises his IQ from negative eleventeen to that of a functional person! We know that because at a certain point the druid stops taking the drug and goes full retard. From that point onward every single action he takes throughout the movie makes you cringe (a homage to Carl Reiner's 1979 film "The Jerk"). This is important because this issue in the plot is strengthened later when his 4 y/o son, being evidently aware of his father's non-drug-enhanced natural cognitive limitations- rescues him.

One must wonder how in a situation when feelings are suppressed- babies' survival mechanism come into play, and how they can therefore coerce parental protection and nurturing. Sparta has nothing on this, yet our druids son seems to take the reasonable and understanding way, and thus assist his dumb father in shattering the foundations of their common reality.

How to write an idiot into a hero? The inventive way with which this sensitive topic is dealt with here is by A:) Chuck Norris-ing our hero, and B:) Use the old trope of the master-plan revealing, ill-prepared arch-villain "FU-TH-UR", perhaps the spouse of the Nostromo's "MU-TH-UR 6000" computer (chronologically it makes perfect sense).

If you can stand the boredom of the cliché-riddled and predictable story, I highly recommend it to learners of cinema for its bonanza of "things NOT to do".
  2. Mar 29, 2015
    Yes, "Equilibrium" borrows heavily from other, better sci-fi pieces - like "The Matrix," "Gattaca," and "Fahrenheit 451," to name a few - but damn is it fun to watch.
  3. Mar 15, 2015
    A solid movie with grey atmosphere and some really good action lines. On the other hand, confusing and dull parts are obviously inevitable despite of mediocre Bale performance .
  4. Feb 16, 2015
    When I watch a movie I want two things: I want to be entertained, and I want a story I can follow.

Equilibrium gives me both. If you don't compare it to the Matrix or any other action movie, it's pretty good. Christian Bale's character doesn't start out good. He's actually a really bad guy. You watch his character grow throughout the movie. You really end up hating the bad guys

Equilibrium gives me both.

You really end up hating the bad guys in a good way. You root for Christian Bale's character, not because he's such a good guy, but because he's taking it to the bad guys.

The action sequences are not realistic. No, they are not.

But if I wanted realistic I'd go to public square and watch the drunks box it out.

I go to the movies to escape reality, and this movie did exactly that.

On the negative side, it seemed the black guy and the main villain were pretty emotional. Smiling is a sign of happiness, and shouting is a sign of being upset in some way. So that was very stupid.

It's not perfect. The characters don't have much personality, but it has a good story.
  5. Jan 17, 2015
    There is far too much action, which is rather poorly done, and effects that were mediocre in 2002. However, it contains a surprisingly deep pseudo-intellectual premise and story that would could have carried the movie if it wasn't also trying way too hard to be like other, vastly superior Sci-Fi films.
  6. Jan 15, 2015
    Christian Bale,conta com uma super performance,uma brilhante história e cenas **** Yeah!!!.
    Sean Bean um pouco que aparece já deixa sua marca no filme com uma brilhante performance. Como disse uma história brilhante que talvez com um orçamento maior teria um resultado mais interessante porém mesmo assim o filme ficou ótimo
  7. Oct 13, 2014
    I feel the need to clear the air here. There is a massive disparity between the very poor reviews this movie received from critics and the massive praise it enjoyed from viewers. Do not believe either. Users who have given this movie 10/10 are out of their minds--it is simply not that good--and critics who have panned it are being too harsh. Although this an exceedingly half-baked re-hashI feel the need to clear the air here. There is a massive disparity between the very poor reviews this movie received from critics and the massive praise it enjoyed from viewers. Do not believe either. Users who have given this movie 10/10 are out of their minds--it is simply not that good--and critics who have panned it are being too harsh. Although this an exceedingly half-baked re-hash of Orwell and Huxley, it is nonetheless an entertaining and not entirely mindless action flick. The fight sequences are, for the most part, pretty good and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the inventive nature of the gun battles (a unique if not entirely realistic idea that you simply need to see if you want to get it). While you shouldn't expect anything particularly profound or original, this movie is not completely mindless. On the whole, I recommend you give it a try. But go in with both eyes open and don't expect too much. If you approach this film from that perspective and don't take it too seriously I think you will genuinely enjoy it. 6.5/10, imho. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    It was good! far worse films have been given completely unjustified high scores on this website. Take guardians of the galaxy for example. Absolute rubbish! Yet it gets a ridiculously high score.
  9. Jan 14, 2014
    Equilibrium is one of those movies I regret not having seen earlier and I was amazed to see that it had scored so badly pretty much everywhere. To start of, yes Sean Bean is in it and yes it happens it should be no mystery by now. Christian Bale plays John Preston is a futuristic cop called a Grammaton Cleric, his job is to find and arrest (or kill) sense offenders which are people whoEquilibrium is one of those movies I regret not having seen earlier and I was amazed to see that it had scored so badly pretty much everywhere. To start of, yes Sean Bean is in it and yes it happens it should be no mystery by now. Christian Bale plays John Preston is a futuristic cop called a Grammaton Cleric, his job is to find and arrest (or kill) sense offenders which are people who have decided to reject the Fascist governments policy that emotions are evil and need to be pressured using a special drug. Prestons character development through out the movie is phenomenal, to see a cold blooded killer who only cares about following his corrupt governments rules to a soft hearted human who risked everything for a puppy is definitely something to see. The new fighting technique called gun kata is definitely interesting when he is actually shooting but when he gets into a close quarter fight near the end it is a bit ridiculous to watch 2 grown men and professional killers slap each others gun about and make absolutely no head way in the fight for a good 30 seconds. The plot is one of the best I have ever seen and kept me enthralled through out the entire movie, there was never a point that I wanted to look away from the screen apart from one part but not because it was bad but because I didn't want to believe it would happen. The team behind this movie worked hard and the actors worked even harder to get their message across, Equilibrium deserves a 10/10 and if I could go any higher I would. Every one needs to go see this movie right now! Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2013
    Totally under-appreciated and misinterpreted film.
    This is one of my all time favorite movies, yet I have a hard time
    defending it now as a serious piece of cinema, and I'm not sure why. It gets low ratings on all the major film sites despite tons of great actions scenes, a huge overarching story line, great attention to detail, and a terrific performance by Christian Bale. The
    Totally under-appreciated and misinterpreted film.
    This is one of my all time favorite movies, yet I have a hard time
    defending it now as a serious piece of cinema, and I'm not sure why. It
    gets low ratings on all the major film sites despite tons of great
    actions scenes, a huge overarching story line, great attention to
    detail, and a terrific performance by Christian Bale.

The Story: The dictator ruled state of Libria force-feeds its citizens
    drugs to suppress their emotions, and in fact, feeling emotion is
    entirely illegal. Punishment is death.

Overactive emotions have been known to cause many of humanity's
    previous atrocities and wars, so to vanquish emotion is to therefore
    benefit humankind. There is a method to the madness; this film is set
    right after world war III, and emotion suppression is modern humanity's
    solution for preventing world war IV.

Of course there are those that do not see this repression as a benefit
    and so an underground resistance forms. Although the plot is
    excellently executed, the dystopian theme comes across as just a little
    bit too close (for some, not for me) to an exact replica of an
    Orwellian model. Equilibrium has been accused of being unoriginal, a
    mere mishmash of well-known various Sci- Fi stories.

I was never bothered by this mishmash. Examining the film shows there
    are more than enough original features, features that people must be
    overlooking when judging, because the originality more than counter
    balances the borrowed material.

The top ranking law enforcement officials are (I think very cleverly)
    called Clerics. They employ the use a fictitious fighting style called
    the Gun Kata. The Gun Kata a major part of the film and makes for some
    amazing scenes. The details about the world are so specific that it
    really is an amazing accomplishment on writer/director Kurt Whimmer's
    part. Whimmer makes a living mainly as a writer, Equilibrium being one
    of only two major features he's directed.

As I said earlier, Christian Bale gives a great performance, handling
    almost all the fight scenes himself, and due to budget constraints,
    only being allowed a handful of takes to get each set of complex
    choreography right. Director Whimmer makes excellent use of light and
    space, pleading his case for humanity's right to "feel" as light peeks
    through the drab gray tones of the photography, rarely, but just
    enough.

Equilibrium is the biggest box office flop of a film I can think of.
    For how epic it is, the 20 million dollar budget seems miniscule, but
    its total to-date gross is $1.2 million, a totally pathetic ratio.
    Equilibrium appeared around the same time as the Matrix was doing its
    thing and so Equilibrium got very little press. The two films share a
    similar vibe and since Equilibrium came out second, it loses points for originality, and even though The Matrix is undoubtedly a great achievement, Christina Bale is hands-down the better lead (I'm not too fond of Keanu Reeves). Just based on that fact alone Equilibrium is worth checking out.
  11. Dec 3, 2013
    Wow, talk about aiflm with an overwhelming amount of unnecessary hate. Equilibrium is a very high quality sci-fi action flick with great sequences of drama, along with a fantastic performance by the ever brilliant Christian Bale. His performance alone lifts this up from your ordinary action movie to something much more.
  12. Oct 31, 2013
    I love the difference between the User and Critic score, but I liked this movie because I liked the world that was presented and the characters even though they didn't need any emotion (major plot point)
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    First of all I am not saying the movie is perfect because of the fact that there is no such thing as perfect even though the director maybe could have wanted to see the movie that way. Second of all I am not saying the movie is dark and melancholic because its really not, eventually. Third, the movie was pretty great for those honest needing people reading this.

I cannot undergo being

I cannot undergo being selfish and saying that the movie reminds me a little bit of "The Matrix" (1999) which is one of my most favourite movies of all time. Everyone will or is thinking that. The cut-scenes are probably at its peak of that time, now I'm not even hailing Bales performance and his scenes. Even the acting from the children are fantastic.

The storyline for the main characters are fulfilling yes, the script is detailed and deep enough to be intriguing. I must give credit to the intro of the movie. Somehow it wants one to look away from fascism and at the same time to understand why and how. I believe its called somewhat of a mixed feeling you could say.

The outro needs to be cut down in two to be understood. Just as a human face is divided in symmetry depending on where you cut it. Leaving the whole brain of the story behind of what to happen hereafter with one man's face looking forward in the future of the horizon of tomorrow. From the top again: satisfying surprising and curious.
  14. Aug 4, 2013
    I can't understand the low score on this movie. The movie is awesome! Maybe the mainstream media has a problem with this sort of films... maybe it makes people aware of their own goals!
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    Equilibrium is an underground Sci-Fi film with a huge cult following. If you ask any other Sci-Fi geek, they'll probably have Equilibrium in their top ten list, but I couldn't tell you why. The film is vintage Sci-Fi, with a semi-original idea, unfortunately, the cast just didn't pull it off. I've never been a huge Christian Bale fan and this movie is a prime example of why. He's given aEquilibrium is an underground Sci-Fi film with a huge cult following. If you ask any other Sci-Fi geek, they'll probably have Equilibrium in their top ten list, but I couldn't tell you why. The film is vintage Sci-Fi, with a semi-original idea, unfortunately, the cast just didn't pull it off. I've never been a huge Christian Bale fan and this movie is a prime example of why. He's given a role that suites him perfectly and he mumbles and relies on the rest of the cast to carry him. In the future, emotions and things that evoke emotions are outlawed, and Bale is one of the men responsible for enforcing these laws, but he soon turns to the other side, when he accidentally feels an emotion for the first time. Bale is a cold guy to begin with. He never shows much emotion even when his role calls for it, so aside from Keanu Reeves, he was the best choice for this role. The story was a little out there and the effects were over the top, but it's Bale himself who puts the icing on the turd cake. He's completely dependent on his fellow cast members and the ridiculous special effects his character is given. Maybe I'm just not that bright, but I really don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with this movie. The cast wasn't anything special and the story was okay at best. Expand
  16. Feb 21, 2013
    Set in a fictional dystopia, where having feelings is a crime and are being prevented by medication, this action/thriller movie has an interesting concept and nicely done action sequences.
    What I liked: Christian Bale was perfect for this role. The same emotionless facial expressions he used in "American Psycho" really helped bringing the character to life. The stunts are excellent as well. The concept of this ficional dystopia is really interesting.
    What I didn't like: The movie had a few unrealistic scenes and plotholes and the action sequences were over-the-top. If you're too much into realism, you might have a problem with this movie.
  17. Jan 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An underrated piece of art, this bleak future where emotions are forbidden has an ironic emotional core to it. It doesn't surround itself with blatant copies of Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, in fact, what many people would assume are carbon copies I would prefer to call references, harking back to other dystopian films while also being a standalone film in its own right. Equilibrium treats the matter with mild stoicism, foreshadowing particular events in a neat way that manages to explode in a thrilling yet thoughtful way. The ignorance of many critics that assumed the worst, didn't seem to see the whole picture. None of this was about the fact that censorship exists or that you could be executed for certain crimes. The whole idea of the film was to make you see how people behaved through lack of emotion, with the failure to see that emotion is what makes us human. Rather than take a purely political motive, it manages to incorporate perhaps a majorly ethical motive. The action that is contained in this film is not just for showing off. The stylistic features render the action scenes mindblowing, but no less helping to drive the core theme of the story - besides, the main character is a cleric, trained in the art of Gun Kata (a thrilling name for a sadly non-existent masterpiece of fighting style) who manages to put a chink in Libria's armour as we see through his perspective by realising he can use this weapon against the system that attempts and fails to betray him as someone who is 'feeling'. When I first regarded this film, I became fascinated about how, amongst the close-ups and wider shots, the main character seems to obviously show some kind of emotion without the intrusion of the system demanding why on earth he hasn't been arrested for his crimes. This ultimately came to the climax, whereby the foreshadowing managed to sneak its way in at the beginning. The fact that Christian Bale was chosen for this role makes me wonder why some people didn't think this was good, considering how deft he was in executing the action, the visual non-speaking scenes and the dialogue. To the amazing use of irony, a number of heart-rending scenes kept up the core theme, and the stylistic use of camera focus on Christian Bale emphasised the distress that we could feel he was going through, one being his flinching when we don't see the dogs being shot, but we can feel it by way of his reaction. However, I thought one of the most chilling scenes was during a raid of someone's apartment, with fires burning and people spattered with blood, was the simplicity of a dying man running into the main character, known as John Preston, bleeding, desperation and hope glittering in his eyes as he slides down, leaving Preston aghast and completely horrified, reflecting the man's pain. The expression on his face could not have been possibly matched, Christian Bale just executed that so perfectly that I could feel myself choking up and stopping dead. So this film, by none the way anything completely copied from other films, is a masterpiece in its own right. By way of insulting the stylistic features to convey emotion and provide thrilling action that shaped the film, the amazingly well-acted characters that were to no end incredibly fascinating, the amazingly clever storyline, you are refusing to take it to the light of some of the world's greatest films and distastefully making the biggest mistake of throwing it away. Like the scene in the film, whereby Preston awakes from a nightmare with shock and overwhelming emotion, tears away the fabric from the window to reveal glimmering light on the horizon and a rainbow glowing in the rain, it strips away the layers as the film goes on, lulling you into a false sense of security, but instead just brings you surprises exploding onto the scene, leaving you brimming with hope at the end. Look out for the poignant reference of Yeats. Expand
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    This was quite a pain. This was truly done by someone that watched 1984 and Matrix too much, and made it uninteresting. Action was just silly, no back-bone story, utterly predictable. Man, why did I watch this...
  19. Oct 30, 2012
    Critics keep mentioning the plot and the themes which are the weaker aspects of equilibrium. This movie was incredible for me because of the performances "christian bale" "emily watson" "sean bean" , the superb novelty and excellence of the martial arts and action sequences, and the crisp sharpness of atmosphere. Alot of criticism is aimed at bcuz its based in a dystopic future world andCritics keep mentioning the plot and the themes which are the weaker aspects of equilibrium. This movie was incredible for me because of the performances "christian bale" "emily watson" "sean bean" , the superb novelty and excellence of the martial arts and action sequences, and the crisp sharpness of atmosphere. Alot of criticism is aimed at bcuz its based in a dystopic future world and its "done before" but dystopic setting should be thought of as a genre rather than a plot so i don't think it has to be new and original all the time. Also note that it came out in 2002, soon after the first matrix movie. So it's a bit unfair to say that it copied the matrix when a lot of work would have already begun on equilibrium. Most pple would have watched it years and years after it was made, bcuz they saw christian bale in batman. Equilibrium is always in my mind christian bales greatest performance. And Gun kata a semi-realistic martial art that has spawned a real-life niche in itself. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2012
    After watching this movie, I was completely shocked at its metascore! Thank god the users have got it right! This films goes up there in my favourite films of all time list. The story is really good, I don't know why some people were bad mouthing the story, it was really interesting and executed nicely, job well done right there. The action itself is fantastic, I've only watched itAfter watching this movie, I was completely shocked at its metascore! Thank god the users have got it right! This films goes up there in my favourite films of all time list. The story is really good, I don't know why some people were bad mouthing the story, it was really interesting and executed nicely, job well done right there. The action itself is fantastic, I've only watched it recently so considering it was a 2002 film I was definitely impressed. Expand
  21. Sep 8, 2012
    This is seriously one of the greatest action movies I've ever seen. The action is awesome, the premise, while simple, is incredibly effective, and you have Christian Bale. Winning combination if I've ever seen one.
  22. Aug 26, 2012
    What a mess.
    I could go into detail and explain pretty much what's wrong with this movie, but I simply don't have time.
    I just have no idea how this movie could appeal to so many people, in a positive way. "At least it's entertaining", well, it's not. One of the dullest things I've seen in my life. It had potential, a couple of minutes into the opening scene, went downstairs after that.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    The Metacritic division of critics and users reflects my stance on this movie: The inner critic hates it finds it ridiculous and lacking, while the inner user enjoys the fresh straightness of it, and the audacity to infuse the mindless action with a subversive message.
  24. Jun 23, 2012
    entertaining and great action scenes. christian bale does a wonderful job portraying a devoted cleric who begins to doubt his original beliefs, abandons them, and eventually fights for them. very good end fight scene.
  25. Jun 5, 2012
    It's cliched, and often at times, a little silly, but there's enough story, thematic threads, action and good acting - especially from Bale - to keep you entertained. It's not as deep as say, Blade Runner, but there's enough richness in the themes of emotion and feeling to get you talking.
  26. Apr 19, 2012
    Equlibrium With Christian Bale

Its an interesting movie. Maybe for people that studied world war two and hitler. They mention Hitler in the film. The movie revolves around the idea of strong feelings being illegal. A police state enforces this, and can terminate and incinerate â
  27. Dec 28, 2011
    Jamais vous n'aimerez voir des acteurs aussi fades dans un film, car le manque d'expression, voilà le thème principal d'Equilibrium. Et devoir faire ça durant tout le film, cela relève du miracle. C'est pour ça que le film est une preuve de plus qui confirme l'immense talent de Christian Bale, qui s'enivre àJamais vous n'aimerez voir des acteurs aussi fades dans un film, car le manque d'expression, voilà le thème principal d'Equilibrium. Et devoir faire ça durant tout le film, cela relève du miracle. C'est pour ça que le film est une preuve de plus qui confirme l'immense talent de Christian Bale, qui s'enivre à merveille d'émotions au fil de l'histoire, sans se cacher au spectateur. Un jeu d'acteur remarquable qui enjolive l'ambiance hypnotique d'Equilibrium, à la mise en scène soignée et au scénario bien plus complexe qu'il n'y parait sous ses airs de shooter movie. Mais non sans défaut, car c'est sous son apparence de blockbuster (surtout pour la fin) que le film se perd (malgré des fusillades assez stylées), entâchant quelque peu les superbes et intenses moments où Bale parle avec ses yeux. Et je ne parlerai pas des effets numériques... En somme, Equilibrium est un très bon film, mais qui aurait pu se passer du côté "action" pour être encore meilleur. Expand
  28. Dec 25, 2011
    Why does this movie receive such low scores from reviewers? It is a fantastic movie! I have to agree with MarkusW, guess the media did not like the message.
  29. Aug 23, 2011
    The critics who reviewed this terrific movie are morons. Judging from the list of bad movies they gave good reviews for its no surprise. This film is one of the best sci fi action movies ever. You don't have to appreciate the ideas that are presented but cannot deny its powerful impact. We ourselves are the evil we try so hard to oppose. Our ideas and judgements about humanity are all atThe critics who reviewed this terrific movie are morons. Judging from the list of bad movies they gave good reviews for its no surprise. This film is one of the best sci fi action movies ever. You don't have to appreciate the ideas that are presented but cannot deny its powerful impact. We ourselves are the evil we try so hard to oppose. Our ideas and judgements about humanity are all at stake no matter how its presented. And this film does a great job of elevating that narrative. Expand
  30. Aug 22, 2011
    Very good movie. For another supposedly shallow action production you get a well written story with good played and believable characters and good action scenes. I liked the showing of the future world the director has chosen and particulary the psychology behind the main person. The world did not get demonised the way it is done in other action flicks. We see that indeed, a world withoutVery good movie. For another supposedly shallow action production you get a well written story with good played and believable characters and good action scenes. I liked the showing of the future world the director has chosen and particulary the psychology behind the main person. The world did not get demonised the way it is done in other action flicks. We see that indeed, a world without emotions is a calm place with everyone doing their job for the good of the society. It would even present an attractive picture if wasn`t for the over the top police procedures. Instead of being locked up somewhere, the emotion (as society`s enemy #1) is to be destroyed once and for all. Getting rid of all the culture by the state is also too much for the vision to be acceptable. What we see exactly is what we might miss if we took the pill that supposedly is our saviour. In both dimensions : from POV of a single human being and the whole bunch of people. Hell yes it would have been more "efficient", but we`d stop being people. John preston sees that and shows others. It was fascinating, making me reflect the movie for couple of weeks. To add to that, we get some drama with some good action. Believable, original and solid. Expand
  31. Jun 28, 2011
    I am seriously considering never again opening Metacritic. I mean what sort of nonsense ratings are those? Are these critics retarded or what? This is an amazing movie and deserves at least an 8!
  32. Aug 26, 2010
    I just can't understand the critics sometimes. This movie is great! Don't just always think about '' how crazy idea the storyline is''. This movie has a inner message, and it is beautiful, exiting, and so true. I recommend you to watch, people who give points like 1-6 instead of 7-10, are just too stupid to understand this. Definetly a worth of your time.
  33. DominikK.
    Dec 29, 2009
    really? there are people who called this a "cult classic"? i'm all for a good action sequence, but even if this film hadn't blatantly ripped off the matrix, even if it had spent more then 27 dollars on special effects, even if this movie had better effects than "Avatar" it would still be one of the worst action films i have ever seen. This film makes Japanese animes about robots really? there are people who called this a "cult classic"? i'm all for a good action sequence, but even if this film hadn't blatantly ripped off the matrix, even if it had spent more then 27 dollars on special effects, even if this movie had better effects than "Avatar" it would still be one of the worst action films i have ever seen. This film makes Japanese animes about robots seem like incredibly well thought out voyages into the nature of mankind. But then again, this film is probably aimed at that very same demographic of perpetual adolescence. Expand
  34. NY
    Sep 10, 2009
    This movie was asinine. I turned it off after 30 minutes (which I almost never do) because it was incredibly stupid and boring as pretty much every line could be predicted almost verbatim several minutes before they were spoken. This movie attempted to rip off the style of several other much better movies, but it just became a mess. I also don't understand the fascination with "gun This movie was asinine. I turned it off after 30 minutes (which I almost never do) because it was incredibly stupid and boring as pretty much every line could be predicted almost verbatim several minutes before they were spoken. This movie attempted to rip off the style of several other much better movies, but it just became a mess. I also don't understand the fascination with "gun kata". Having a guy standing in one position, waving his hands around, while magically hitting every opponent and not being shot himself is not ground breaking, it's idiotic fantasy. Expand
  35. BobB
    Jul 10, 2009
    Wow, Roger EBERT gave it a good review? Roger Ebert is also the premier elevator of pop garbage movies to pseudo-intellectual status. This movie is a steaming pile of cultural backwash re-digested by the hackneyed screenplay writer whose only major accomplishment was to insert every distopian cliche ever written since the 19th century. This movie pretends to think while not having a Wow, Roger EBERT gave it a good review? Roger Ebert is also the premier elevator of pop garbage movies to pseudo-intellectual status. This movie is a steaming pile of cultural backwash re-digested by the hackneyed screenplay writer whose only major accomplishment was to insert every distopian cliche ever written since the 19th century. This movie pretends to think while not having a single original thought. It also insults the audience with its excruciatingly obvious flogging of the already overtread plot points. This society destroys art? Well, how can stupid moviegoer me possibly understand how awful it is to burn paintings? OH NOEZ the Mona Lisa, now I KNOW this is a big deal, because anything less than the Mona Lisa being destroyed and my phillistine brain will just want to smear dung and shout at the screen, but since you showed me the MOST famous painting IN THE WORLD, NOW I am able to understand it. Wouldn't they have found the Mona Lisa a long time ago? Wouldn't the only art left be a bit more obscure so they'd miss it? Does Sean Bean HAVE to be reading Yates? Nuff said. Expand
  36. Sandund
    Jun 8, 2009
    Whats up with most of these critics. If they didn't see the depth and the message in this movie, well they are a bunch of retards who were probably dropped as infants. This in one of the most iconic movies I've seen for a long time. A definite cult fav. Hats off.
  37. joe
    May 25, 2009
    Seriously, these critics are retards. Notice that that Roger Ebert gave it the HIGHEST score of all the critics, and he tends to be one of the tougher ones (he wrote the book "your movie sucks" if that says anything). I would say Ebert is right on this, 75 to 80 is probably a fair score for this movie. How anyone can call this movie stupid and then go give higher ratings to other films Seriously, these critics are retards. Notice that that Roger Ebert gave it the HIGHEST score of all the critics, and he tends to be one of the tougher ones (he wrote the book "your movie sucks" if that says anything). I would say Ebert is right on this, 75 to 80 is probably a fair score for this movie. How anyone can call this movie stupid and then go give higher ratings to other films like "Shoot em' up" I will never know, but I really can't help but think someone was paid to hate this film. Yeah the plot is a litte extreme and uses other authors and movies themes, but by that logic 99% of ALL action and romance films should have never been made (just try and name a few love stories or martial arts films that are REALLY original; now think of the ones that aren't and critics seem to love). So let's say the film had no plot, but retained it's amazing action (that was creative AND inventive) that right there earns it a decent score. Now throw in a message that was at least important if not a little corny as well as some good acting and that makes for a pretty good movie. I just don't see how, because the movie happens to not have the most ORIGINAL plot, that people can hate it for have GOOD things thrown on top of that unoriginal plot. Ever seen DARK CITY or films like that? Horrid action and a plot that you might find on some kids Live Journal, yet are still enjoyable and somehow critics love it. Well this movie had a more sensible plot and better action and somehow that makes it worse? At least the oldest and wisest of movie critics isn't affected by bribes, and if anyones ever seen the original Fahrenheit 451 it has an even corneir plot and NO action and people somehow say it's SO much better. Honesty, these critics really pissed me off and anyone who just says this movie was bad because of unoriginality or because "it takes itself to seriously" is just being asinine; how do you think the characters are going to act, like monkeys in a cage? The movie deserved to be made and to that extent it was made well, so lay off. Expand
  38. MarkusW
    May 13, 2009
    Once of my alltime favourite movies. Drama and Action could go together before the new BSG. But it´s hardly surprising that a movie warning of "soft totalitarianism" isn´t well recieved the media. Make a movie about a clicheed fascist gouvernement seizing power using anti-terror as an excuse and they love you. But a movie talking about how the concept of hate-crimes will lead Once of my alltime favourite movies. Drama and Action could go together before the new BSG. But it´s hardly surprising that a movie warning of "soft totalitarianism" isn´t well recieved the media. Make a movie about a clicheed fascist gouvernement seizing power using anti-terror as an excuse and they love you. But a movie talking about how the concept of hate-crimes will lead to policing of thought and you are a heretic. Expand
  39. JenG.
    Feb 28, 2009
    This is an excellent rendition of the potential of totalitarianism today. I have to agree with some other users, that the "critics" are truly in denial about society. Take a hard look at the world today, know anyone on anti-depressants or Ritalin? Do you feel world news is uncensored? If you feel that world leaders and nations aren't manipulating emotions for political/financial gain This is an excellent rendition of the potential of totalitarianism today. I have to agree with some other users, that the "critics" are truly in denial about society. Take a hard look at the world today, know anyone on anti-depressants or Ritalin? Do you feel world news is uncensored? If you feel that world leaders and nations aren't manipulating emotions for political/financial gain or profit, you are truly in denial as well. Expand
  40. PhilipF.
    Feb 20, 2009
    Excellent movie, great fight scenes, and they actually managed to make gun fights amazingly interesting. Gun-kata is actually something i'd enjoy seeing in future movies, even if it is fictional. plot only really became cheesy for about a 10 minute period towards the end, but other than that, great flick.
  41. RonnyG.
    Jan 28, 2009
    This is one of the best movies ever. It's action scenes outclass the Matrix by at least 2x, if not 100x! The plot, character development, characters, and ending all outclass The Matrix (which was a great movie.) My favorite part is the ending! One of the best endings ever, because it says what we all feel, and gives us what we truly want: Pure Ownage.
  42. MarkK.
    Jan 10, 2009
    An enjoyable film overall. Only faults I can find are the similarities to the Matrix (which cause a great amount of De ja vu) and some of the fight scenes get a bit brainless, but it's great fun.
  43. JonathanC.
    Jan 7, 2009
    This movie is severely underrated. In my opinion, this movie is one of the better sci-fi or action movies I've ever seen. But then, Star Wars: Ep. 3 got a 68 on metacritic, and it's garbage.
  44. KR
    Sep 26, 2008
    Reading the critics' reviews, I am astonished by the vacuity and triteness. Apparently they hate dystopia themes because they fail to produce any kind of intelligent criticism. It contains a clever dystopia premise with solid acting and innovative---if unrealistic---action sequences. Once again, if you hate dystopia themes then just admit it upfront. Don't pretend, though, that Reading the critics' reviews, I am astonished by the vacuity and triteness. Apparently they hate dystopia themes because they fail to produce any kind of intelligent criticism. It contains a clever dystopia premise with solid acting and innovative---if unrealistic---action sequences. Once again, if you hate dystopia themes then just admit it upfront. Don't pretend, though, that this movie is "mindless" because it copies other dystopian themes. That is a mindless statement, for sure. Expand
  45. ZefranC.
    Sep 3, 2008
    Awesome movie. Those who rated it low, simply doesn't understand it. I'ts not a movie for everyone, but if everyone was able to understand it, we where in a better world.
  46. ChrisH.
    Aug 25, 2008
    Say what you want but despite real originality and some silliness Wimmer's anti-utopia is still one of the bests I've ever saw. And anyway nowadays you can't really do anything truly original.
  47. LeoM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    I laughed when i saw the critics reviews,because they didn't actually say why it was bad, just that it was bad.I believe this is because they cant face society may 1 day be like that.I appreciate to seeall the good reviews.Makes me think how biased their opinion is. Away from the critic bastards it was a superb film..hert stopping plot with excellent action sequences.
  48. Nick
    Jun 17, 2008
    One of the most underrated films of all time with a deep and ahead of its time story.
  49. PaulS.
    Mar 23, 2008
    I thought this was one of the best films I have ever seen. The hidden references to classical works and the amazing fight scenes won me over. I would consider this a "must see".
  50. JakobL.
    Feb 24, 2008
    The 'professional' critics seem to be bashing the story rather than the actual film. It was good, silly fun. Not all movies have to be well scripted with oscar-worthy performances to entertain you. Ironically, Transformers got double this films score yet it was minus the fun. Bizzaro.
  51. TARGET1058
    Feb 19, 2008
    Great movie...might not make you think a whole lot but the action and it being something different makes up for it.
  52. AlexP
    Feb 16, 2008
    Granted this is no Oscar caliber movie this is probably the harshest critic score on all of metacritic and that is a big statement. This movie is very entertaining while managing to keep an interesting storyline and believable acting, and when I think of all the far worse movies (and there are many of them) who have received about double the score I really wonder what the critics expect. Granted this is no Oscar caliber movie this is probably the harshest critic score on all of metacritic and that is a big statement. This movie is very entertaining while managing to keep an interesting storyline and believable acting, and when I think of all the far worse movies (and there are many of them) who have received about double the score I really wonder what the critics expect. I does give me hope though to see the huge abyss between the users and critics scores. Expand
  53. StefanM.
    Feb 12, 2008
    those who gave this film 0 are jealous!!!! OK, it has from films like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, etc. some ideas, but Kurt Wimmer was doing this project for 12 years and his final product, Equilibrium, is fantastic movie! so, those who gave it less than 6 can come here and suck my balls!!!!!!!!!
  54. MattL
    Feb 4, 2008
    I'm going to have to side with the general public on this one: it was indeed a good, and more importantly, fun movie. I think critics, in their pursuit of pure analytical commentary of movies, have forgotten the magic of the movies : having fun. Sure, the story was a little inconsistent, overused, what have you, but me and my friends had a blast watching it.
  55. MichaelM.
    Nov 16, 2007
    For a surprisingly large group of talented actors, this was pretty much a steaming pile. The premise behind the movie was beyond juvenile and rife with inconsistencies. Why would a repressive future society need to so clearly mimic the aesthetics of Nazi Germany? Why is art equated with emotion? Is emotion what REALLY defines humanity, is emotion REALLY what is the source of conflict in For a surprisingly large group of talented actors, this was pretty much a steaming pile. The premise behind the movie was beyond juvenile and rife with inconsistencies. Why would a repressive future society need to so clearly mimic the aesthetics of Nazi Germany? Why is art equated with emotion? Is emotion what REALLY defines humanity, is emotion REALLY what is the source of conflict in our society, rather than calculated rational decisions in the struggle for power? Is the movie self aware enough to realize the irony inherent in the actions of the principle actors in regards to the premise of an emotionless fascist society? Conceptually flawed, is the action enough to redeem this movie? In the end the answer to all these questions is no, as the action is mediocre and the acting transparent, the plot predictable and the conclusion forgone within the first few minutes of the film. I'm a big fan of SF movies, and will champion any movie that truly reveals something about the human condition, extrapolates an interesting society or scenario, or can engross me to the extent that i will suspend my disbelief and accept the premise that is being presented to me. That a movie like this gets such high marks from viewers profoundly disturbs me. Expand
  56. AndrewK
    Oct 24, 2007
    This movie was well shot and compared to many other hack n slash sci-fi action movies, the plot/script had some thought put into it. Contrary to the negative comments of the press. I, as a viewer and person, consider it a well done movie. What do you most of the comments have to back up their negatives? Reviews on other, past movies. Review a movie based on itself and you have a good This movie was well shot and compared to many other hack n slash sci-fi action movies, the plot/script had some thought put into it. Contrary to the negative comments of the press. I, as a viewer and person, consider it a well done movie. What do you most of the comments have to back up their negatives? Reviews on other, past movies. Review a movie based on itself and you have a good movie.. not because you care to think about other movies in its place. Encore. Expand
  57. AvriS.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Great Movie. Didn't quite understand why the reviewers bashed it so much,for a movie with such a low budget,it actually turned out to be very good,i don´t think it has anything to do with the Matrix at all because even its futuristic views are different,all in all don´t pay attention to the critics and watch it,it will be worth it
  58. KarmaS.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Very nice! Sure Matrix was damn good, but it was one of the trend at that period, only because this movie didn't advertise as much, doesn't mean this is a bad movie at all. True critic make minor stream movies alive! is it's good! Only stupids, just like to COMPARE!!!
  59. JohnS.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This was one of the best action movies I've ever seen! It has some of the feel of The Matrix but the action was more believable. Christian Bale was AWESOME! The story was good, a little slow at times but good. It had depth and heart which you don't see much in action these days.
    Sep 4, 2007
    This is the dumbest movie I've seen in years. There's nothing redeeming about this; it is every post-Matrix "omg cool" dystopian sci-fi cliché I could ever hate rolled into one ball of crap. If you pay movie to see this movie you deserve to be slapped.
  61. UG
    Aug 27, 2007
    Great movie and super action.
  62. MajorH.
    Jul 27, 2007
    Brilliant. Don't trust the critics...trust yourself. This movie rocks. Hard.
  63. LP
    Jun 28, 2007
    What is wrong w/ the critics? This is one of the best pictures made! Figures!
  64. JH
    Jun 21, 2007
    Great action, Bale carries the movie. Guards and troopers look a little too stylish. But the clerics are dead on.
  65. KyleS.
    May 9, 2007
    It appears that all the low ratings for this movie are just people that are bashing it, while the good reviews seem filled with inspiration, appreciation, and satisfaction. What are the people making low ratings missing? I thought this movie was one of the best I have ever seen and was absolutely blown away by it. Stunning effects and choreography, incredible depth in the story, extremely It appears that all the low ratings for this movie are just people that are bashing it, while the good reviews seem filled with inspiration, appreciation, and satisfaction. What are the people making low ratings missing? I thought this movie was one of the best I have ever seen and was absolutely blown away by it. Stunning effects and choreography, incredible depth in the story, extremely believable character development, and an amazing message. Not to mention heart pounding action - this movie literally made me feel like I wanted to stop watching it because it was so suspenseful and absorbing that I didn't want to risk watching it all for fear it might not go the way I wanted it to! Absolutely amazing. Expand
  66. CarlW.
    Apr 7, 2007
    Beyond horrible.Take some from old sci-fi movies like Fahrenheit 451, THX1138, 1984, Logan's run, Metropolis etc, add some Matrix. Now write a script the way a 10 year old who has played videogames to much would. Develop an absurd idea that bullets can be dodged by statistics. And make the badguys slay puppies to show how evil they are. Does this sound good to you? Then seek Beyond horrible.Take some from old sci-fi movies like Fahrenheit 451, THX1138, 1984, Logan's run, Metropolis etc, add some Matrix. Now write a script the way a 10 year old who has played videogames to much would. Develop an absurd idea that bullets can be dodged by statistics. And make the badguys slay puppies to show how evil they are. Does this sound good to you? Then seek professional help.This is a very dumb movie that thinks it's smart and therefore appears dumber still. Expand
  67. SzymonZ.
    Jan 8, 2007
    The Film is complete - you get what you see. It tells a story, doesn't let you down in any moment, full of action, nice effects, nice cinematography, etc.... It is complete.
  68. AndyW.
    Dec 17, 2006
    I don't understand why critics gave this generally negative reviews. It may not be the best movie, but it sure is an eye-opener.
  69. MikaelG.
    Nov 25, 2006
    I watched this movie yesterday, and must say that it's one of my favourite movies of all times, displaying aesthetical completeness as well as believable plot and beautifully done costumes, weapons and architecture. Not to mention convincing characters and, of course, the gun kata.
  70. MiroC>
    Oct 23, 2006
    This is a best picture... psycho, action and dramatic in one movie.
  71. MiKE
    Apr 2, 2006
    I liked this movie. but its nowhere close to bladerunner. but still I enjoyed it alot. It seems like the director really wanted to make this movie as good as possible and it shows. Not a bad movie.
  72. RyanJ.
    Mar 9, 2006
    one of the best films ever made, original and inovative action, amazing acting and a film that can be watched over and over. It will make you question al the critics who try to discredit the film.
  73. MangoporkNK
    Mar 2, 2006
    CRIMINALLY Underrated!! Don't make the gullible mistake of pidgeonholing this movie as a matrix/1984 ripoff. Director Kurt Wimmer already addressed these claims stating that while he did willingly borrow some elements from those films, his dramatic intent was to re-examine several themes that are crucial to humanity while presenting a new take on choreographed hyperstylized action. CRIMINALLY Underrated!! Don't make the gullible mistake of pidgeonholing this movie as a matrix/1984 ripoff. Director Kurt Wimmer already addressed these claims stating that while he did willingly borrow some elements from those films, his dramatic intent was to re-examine several themes that are crucial to humanity while presenting a new take on choreographed hyperstylized action. Did he succeed? Instead of a simple answer, and instead of offering more hyperboles or pompous critical slams like everyone else here, let me just say this: In all of my 22 years of watching films from every genre, making it a near-weekly tradition to go out to the movies with close friends & beloved family members, Equilbrium is the only movie that I immediately bought a second ticket for just so that I could experience it again consequently after it's first showing. And that's just for the action scenes. My friends and I whipped out our cell phones, calling everyone we knew inviting them to come see this pleasant gem that has shined out from nowhere. The ultimate bottom line, stripping away all of the hype and mostly undue criticisms, Equilbrium entertains with it's truly unique, expertly choreographed, jaw-dropping action sequences mixed with passion, art, tight pacing, great acting, and wonderful drama. It's story may or may not be unique to you, but it is touching nonetheless, and if you have any sense of empathy then you will remember it. Is it the best film you'll ever see? Probably not. But honestly now, what movie ever is, universally speaking? It boils down to this: If you're looking for a good time, you will find it in Equillibrium. If you want a film that hits the right notes of the delicate musical balance that is "action & drama" without being hammy or contrived, Equilibrium is your song. If you hate science fiction, enjoy bitching about movies, are too cynical, or have no sense of empathy, look elsewhere (or better yet, stop watching films altogether and find a new hobby). As for me, three years after that fateful first viewing, this film is still near the top of my highly-selective DVD shelf. Expand
  74. RyanF.
    Feb 27, 2006
    When I first saw Equilibrium, I wasn't very impressed. It seemed like just another movie with an odd story. But then after seeing it over and over at friends houses, the story slowly fell into place. It really makes you think. The only thing I didn't like about it was the scene where he goes into the dark room and shoots but doesn't have ANY shots fired at him. And the When I first saw Equilibrium, I wasn't very impressed. It seemed like just another movie with an odd story. But then after seeing it over and over at friends houses, the story slowly fell into place. It really makes you think. The only thing I didn't like about it was the scene where he goes into the dark room and shoots but doesn't have ANY shots fired at him. And the story has some parts that make you go "What?!" Waaay better than the Matrix. And in the last half of the movie I was stuck into my seat. Great. Expand
  75. AlM.
    Jan 28, 2006
    So bad. I watched as one watches a train wreck. Silly, stupid trying to pass off as intelligent. The only reason I give it a 2 is that the look of the film was pretty cool visually and the fight scenes were well done. The plot is idiotic at every turn. I really cannot understand how anyone could give this movie a 10. It would be interesting to see what other movies those folks rated so So bad. I watched as one watches a train wreck. Silly, stupid trying to pass off as intelligent. The only reason I give it a 2 is that the look of the film was pretty cool visually and the fight scenes were well done. The plot is idiotic at every turn. I really cannot understand how anyone could give this movie a 10. It would be interesting to see what other movies those folks rated so highly. The Matrix, which for some reason is constantly mentioned in relation to this movie is 100x better. Perhaps the connection is the dark costume that both leads play. Christian Bale is pretty good, but seriously folks don't waste your time with this one! Expand
  76. MitchellF.
    Dec 20, 2005
    A low budget masterpiece. The story, the passion, and the fantastic action made this movie epic. Some people may think that this movie is a rip off of the Matix, but the story is completely new and origional. The visuals may have been low budget....but so what.....they didn't over due the graphic's like The Transporter 2 did. The scenery was fanstatic. After all that, the A low budget masterpiece. The story, the passion, and the fantastic action made this movie epic. Some people may think that this movie is a rip off of the Matix, but the story is completely new and origional. The visuals may have been low budget....but so what.....they didn't over due the graphic's like The Transporter 2 did. The scenery was fanstatic. After all that, the fighting was unbelievable. The combined martial arts with gun fighting...and pulled it off perfectly. I recommend you see this movie, enjoy, tell your firends, then watch it again, it's just that good! Expand
  77. JamesM
    Dec 11, 2005
    Although not perfect, I do appreciate this film. It masquerades its true purpose and style by disguising itself as a matrix rip-off, and critics seem to have been easily fooled. This film is indeed art regardless of the frequent action.
  78. toad
    Nov 15, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Smoothly blends drama and action, making a sweet movie. the story is great, even it is not quite original. Action is exciting, and surprises. The only problem with this movie, is the low budget. It only aired in 300 theaters across the US. If it had aired in more, it would have been a major blockbuster. A must see for every movie fanatic, action One of the best movies I have ever seen. Smoothly blends drama and action, making a sweet movie. the story is great, even it is not quite original. Action is exciting, and surprises. The only problem with this movie, is the low budget. It only aired in 300 theaters across the US. If it had aired in more, it would have been a major blockbuster. A must see for every movie fanatic, action lover, and drama people. Christian Bale at his best! Expand
  79. badgerfodder
    Nov 11, 2005
    Only just got around to watching this film, and without sounding like a "cynical critic", I would have to say that this film is shockingly bad. Pretentious is a word that gets banded around far too much these days, but I'm pretty sure that this film is a good definition of the word. Inspiration is all well and good, but if you have read and understood even one or two the works that Only just got around to watching this film, and without sounding like a "cynical critic", I would have to say that this film is shockingly bad. Pretentious is a word that gets banded around far too much these days, but I'm pretty sure that this film is a good definition of the word. Inspiration is all well and good, but if you have read and understood even one or two the works that this film cobbles together so hap-hazzardly, then you should be able to see exactly why the plot is frankly stupid. All that leaves is a film with an overtly serious tone, but no substance to back it up. I love gun battles as much as the next man, but when it's blatently tacked on to appeal to the Matrix market, you have to wonder what the point is. I could have forgiven the pathetic storyline if it had been at bit more fun, but it's just po-faced pretention at every point. Enjoyable? Sure, but only if you have no taste. I think a lot of people on this site have shown why film critics get paid to do what they do. They know more about films than most of you. I'll stop being a "cynic" when people start making more effort. Expand
  80. helenm.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Overlooked by the critics and unknown to the public, this beats out Matrix for its philosophical and direct content. Christian Bale makes sense out of this message. His acting is superb.
  81. DaveF
    Jul 25, 2005
    Why was this movie so universally loathed among critics? (Well, not quite
  82. jason
    Jun 22, 2005
    Excellent, excellent movie! High production values, beautiful directing, and amazing proformances from Bale and ensemble. I love this movie. I can't see how these so called "movie critics" can nail Equilibrium for it's lack of orginality when it takes a different approach on famous subject matter. Yes 1984, A Brave New World, and Ferenheit 451's ideas of disutopian Excellent, excellent movie! High production values, beautiful directing, and amazing proformances from Bale and ensemble. I love this movie. I can't see how these so called "movie critics" can nail Equilibrium for it's lack of orginality when it takes a different approach on famous subject matter. Yes 1984, A Brave New World, and Ferenheit 451's ideas of disutopian civilizations are present in this film but that doesn't mean that it's not a good movie. It has a heart and brain which is something haven't seen in action movies in a long time. See this film! I can't believe that the "critics" can vulgarly punish a movie that uses ideas from works of literature, when they seem to love every movie that tarantino makes, which are all carbon copies of Asian cinema. Resovior Dogs = City on Fire. If you let people like this steal whole movies and praise them for it then you should give Equilibrium a good review as well. Expand
  83. JohnA.
    Jun 8, 2005
    A very good movie indeed. Surprisingly smart. A pleasure to watch. One of the best movies have seen recently. The newspapers are just silly.
  84. RickieF.
    Apr 29, 2005
    I have to say it's a great move from the usual - yes mind numbing sci-fi may not be everyones perfect movie but move past that to a great plot great acting and an overall great feeling for viewers at the ending.
  85. EzahnN.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Very good mix of Mind & Body. Style and substance.
  86. ethanl.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Nice story.
  87. ChrisA
    Jan 16, 2005
    The story may not be the best, but the action and choreography was more than stellar, and makes up for the mediocre plot. Critics were too unkind to this modern action cult classic.
  88. BenH.
    Sep 19, 2004
    Best movie i seen in years good pump up with very satisfying ending.
  89. ZachG.
    Aug 9, 2004
    A clichefest for those too lazy to read or watch the classics from which all of its ideas were stolen.
  90. AkhilK.
    Aug 7, 2004
    MAN! What a low score! I realy liked this movie. It had an awesome coolness and was very slick. And the action sequences are quite possibly the best ever.
  91. DemonicAngel
    Aug 2, 2004
    Despite the very low Metascore, I really enjoyed this movie. People slate it as a low-budget Matrix ripoff. I view it as a film which doesn't tell a particularly new or original story, but does it with a lot of panache and some ace action sequences. Not to mention that the Gun Kata is much cooler than Bullet Time ever will be, because it's just feasible that in the future it Despite the very low Metascore, I really enjoyed this movie. People slate it as a low-budget Matrix ripoff. I view it as a film which doesn't tell a particularly new or original story, but does it with a lot of panache and some ace action sequences. Not to mention that the Gun Kata is much cooler than Bullet Time ever will be, because it's just feasible that in the future it might become a possibility. The setting is great, with the sterile monochromicity and rigidity of Libria contrasting sharply with the "home comforts" enjoyed by the resistance. Christian Bale puts in a characteristically good performance as a Grammaton Cleric (the Librian elite, enforcers who seek out and destroy all perpetrators of "sense-crime") who is so used to not feeling emotion that, when he does, he finds it almost too much to bear. The only problem I have with the film is the "Hollywood happy ending" - a film of this sort should have a depressing or inconclusive end for maximum impact. Otherwise, an enjoyable and stylish sci-fi action flick which should satisfy people (like me) who thought The Matrix trilogy was too ambitious for its own good. Expand
  92. BradA.
    Jul 13, 2004
    A great film! Much better than the matix, and with a very interesting plot and lesson about human nature.
  93. BlancoA.
    Jun 21, 2004
    My esteem for Roger Ebert has risen yet again. How could the majority of critics not liked this film?? No, it isn't extremely meaningful, but it has style to spare, and Christian Bale is great in it. Furthermore, the post-Matrix special effects are incredibly cool. A definite recommendation for Matrix fans or anybody else who wants to explore sci-fi / utopian ficks. JUST SEE IT!
  94. JohnnyA.
    Mar 17, 2004
    This is fo schizzle! Christian Bale at his morbid best! I loved it!
  95. JonK.
    Dec 17, 2003
    The simple fact that critics get bought and paid to yay or nay movies has everything to do with this. It is a cult movie. The critics don't like it, so only the most hardcore of movie goers will understand it. A few years down the road, the hardcore movie buffs will have shown this to their friends, and the DVDs will sell much more populously. Thus, the director will have found that The simple fact that critics get bought and paid to yay or nay movies has everything to do with this. It is a cult movie. The critics don't like it, so only the most hardcore of movie goers will understand it. A few years down the road, the hardcore movie buffs will have shown this to their friends, and the DVDs will sell much more populously. Thus, the director will have found that he really has made some profit and an underground following and will be forced to make a sequel- or at least release a collector's edition with many special features. It's not about the critics. It's about the quality and passion that it brings. Adrenaline flows everytime a Clerick pulls out a gun. It was based off of Fahrenheit 451, and it does a good job of being so. We don't need wire-fu or $193429342598634273 special effects. The only thing that is needed is a storyline that makes you feel and some really good action. Here you go. Expand
  96. GaborA.
    Dec 6, 2003
    The back drop and set up of the society is a poor rip off from various works. However, the cast, visuals, and plot twists held out until the very end when the movie becomes a bloody mess followed by a bullshit hollywood ending. The film did not stimulate my mind too much, but it took its place in my imagination right next all the ideas it was based on so whenever i think about 1984 i add The back drop and set up of the society is a poor rip off from various works. However, the cast, visuals, and plot twists held out until the very end when the movie becomes a bloody mess followed by a bullshit hollywood ending. The film did not stimulate my mind too much, but it took its place in my imagination right next all the ideas it was based on so whenever i think about 1984 i add some action scenes inspired by this movie to make it more interesting. Expand
  97. KarlC.
    Nov 25, 2003
    An excellent movie that was unfairly slated by the critics. It is a real shame because it stopped me from going to the cinema to see it. Is now recieving a well deserved audience on DVD release.
  98. DavidC.
    Nov 10, 2003
    I just put it this way to my wife, who agreed: "The Matrix was good overall, and had 3 or 4 scenes where you were thinking, 'damn that's cool!', and Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had 0. Equilibrium, with a Ray Bradbury storyline (it's based on Farenheit 451) and a Matrix feel, is very good overall, and has at least 3 or 4 scenes where you say 'damn that's I just put it this way to my wife, who agreed: "The Matrix was good overall, and had 3 or 4 scenes where you were thinking, 'damn that's cool!', and Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions had 0. Equilibrium, with a Ray Bradbury storyline (it's based on Farenheit 451) and a Matrix feel, is very good overall, and has at least 3 or 4 scenes where you say 'damn that's cool!', effects and coreography-wise." Equilibrium was an indy with about 1/1000th the budget of any of the Matrix films. Makes it that much more impressive and goes to show what the Wachowski brothers should know: more CGI and budget does not a better film make. Expand
  99. MalloryD.
    Nov 5, 2003
    Gun Kata is amazing and its a deep thoughful movie.
  100. WillH.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Have to say it's a great movie. Should be in most people's collection. A simple yet apt story for the world we see, and a great bit of acting by Bale.

1. Super- violent, super-serious and super-stupid.
    Equilibrium doesn't tread softly on our dreams; it tramples them.
  3. The best thing about Equilibrium is its impressive look. Along with its generally fine cast and some well-choreographed fights, that goes a long way to making the movie watchable -- despite its underlying stupidity.