E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

8.2

1. SusanS.
    Apr 1, 2002
    I loved it. Loved it. I did not see it when it came out twenty years ago, since that was the year I was born, but we own the video, and I have seen it several times, but not for a while. And it was magical, poignant, and the opposite of everything the the "age of irony" stands for. I am certainly a cynic myself, always suspicious of sentimentality, but this movie is neither boring nor I loved it. Loved it. I did not see it when it came out twenty years ago, since that was the year I was born, but we own the video, and I have seen it several times, but not for a while. And it was magical, poignant, and the opposite of everything the the "age of irony" stands for. I am certainly a cynic myself, always suspicious of sentimentality, but this movie is neither boring nor hackneyed. It's visual and audial poetry, each working together to enhance the other. You don't need to look for complicated meaning--it's about a child in a grown-up world; reminding us of the honest curiousity of a childhood on the brink of adolescence--old enough to be cognizant of the world, but still young enough not to be sullied by it. And it wonderfully contrasts the adult reaction with the child's--logic versus wonder. It's hilarious as well as thoughtful, and I think it's one of the best movies ever produced. Expand
  2. zeyadk
    Mar 28, 2010
    An excellent film directed by a master.
    Aug 2, 2007
    Hmmmm...this is really interesting. When E.T. was first released, a lot of critics hated it. Now that it's re-released, they love it...i don't get it....Anyway, this movie is just a classic and one of my favorites. (Please stop calling movies "shows"...unless you want to look like an idiot)
  4. GilbertPhoneHome
    Nov 26, 2002
    Why do some people have to spit on the Great? Steven is one of, if not THE best filmmaker of the late twentieth century. That's a cast-iron FACT, friend. And ET is one of the most toweringest of his towering achievements - unless you're a shriveled husk of a being, of course. Michelle the P makes a good point in that a post-ET's depature coda would have been nice; still, Why do some people have to spit on the Great? Steven is one of, if not THE best filmmaker of the late twentieth century. That's a cast-iron FACT, friend. And ET is one of the most toweringest of his towering achievements - unless you're a shriveled husk of a being, of course. Michelle the P makes a good point in that a post-ET's depature coda would have been nice; still, you can't have everything. But with this movie, you'll come close. Expand
  5. RickJ.G.
    Jul 18, 2002
    One the great American movies. One of the best children's movie ever made. When it was first released twenty years ago, I was the same age as the lead child actor Henry Thomas and I was living in a sprawling suburb similar to the one E.T. was set in. Spielberg created soulful characters in a cut out, cardboard suburb. If you want a glance at what life for children living in the One the great American movies. One of the best children's movie ever made. When it was first released twenty years ago, I was the same age as the lead child actor Henry Thomas and I was living in a sprawling suburb similar to the one E.T. was set in. Spielberg created soulful characters in a cut out, cardboard suburb. If you want a glance at what life for children living in the suburbs was like in the early '80s, then watch this film. Collapse
  6. MattB.
    Jul 24, 2003
    Seriously one of the best movies of all time. It transcends the boundaries of age and has the power to touch all. It touches the innocent inner child that we all have deep inside. The acting is superb. And don't forget the killer soundtrack that is as moving as the story itself.
  7. Allison
    Aug 12, 2005
    Do you believe in magic? A wonderful story for children of all ages. A true classic.
  8. Sam
    May 13, 2006
    A masterpiece that you will fall in love with every time you see it. Key word, "will."
  9. JohnB.
    May 4, 2006
    Don't listen to the cynics, those who reject anything with an ounce of heart. Forced sentimentality is junk, yes, but this movie has none of that. It's enchanting and wonderful. A great film all around.
  10. AntoineT.
    May 5, 2007
    One of Spielberg's greatest films by far, timeless storytelling.
  11. Mon
    Jul 5, 2007
    One of the best modern classics!
  12. JensJ.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Ask John Williams to play in your country live with his orchestra in E.T.'s 30th Anniversary Edition. Please enter here: http://sites.google.com/site/et30thjohnwilliams/Home
  13. LaurenS.
    Jan 20, 2009
    Spielberg's E.T. is one of greatest movies ever made, as a 13 year old, i've never been a fan of kid movies. But E.T. lives on as the friendliest alien Earth, or at least, the movie Industry has ever met. The effects are spectacular, everything is superb. It's a favorite of my all time movies.
  14. TheMulroneycakesTapes
    Nov 14, 2002
    No, it's not that critics enjoy "fellating" Steven, it's that Steven is arguably the finest filmaker OF his generation, and as such is SPAT ON by people trying to GRAB a minute's CREDIBILITY. They don't realise that they'd get MORE credibility by telling the TRUTH: that ET (t'Extra-Terrestrial) is one of THE greatest, most wonderful movies EVER made. Or by No, it's not that critics enjoy "fellating" Steven, it's that Steven is arguably the finest filmaker OF his generation, and as such is SPAT ON by people trying to GRAB a minute's CREDIBILITY. They don't realise that they'd get MORE credibility by telling the TRUTH: that ET (t'Extra-Terrestrial) is one of THE greatest, most wonderful movies EVER made. Or by SHUTTING THE HELL UP, whichever requires the least effort on THEIR PARTS. Expand
  15. MichelleP.
    Oct 16, 2002
    Great movie. I thought that this was the most realistic way of showing what aliens might REALLY be like. I was crying like a baby during the movie too! The only thing I have to complain about it is that as soon as E.T. leaves, then that's it. The movie's over. I thought that maybe there should've been something that happened after that.
  16. Matt
    May 11, 2002
    The re-release of this movie proves how most all movies don't stand up well to it now just as they didn't before.
  17. Jake
    Nov 21, 2005
    Great show to watch when you're feeling down.
  18. Oct 20, 2010
    E.T. is an heartwarming family hit and it will cherrish moviegoers of all ages.
  19. Dec 9, 2011
    When I was nine years old and watched E.T, I felt I would not see so soon any other film so rewarding and satisfying. Since then, 9 years have passed but my opinion has not changed.
  20. May 28, 2012
    If you despise this then you are probably souless. Its a truely fun family movie, one that could be watched over and over by anybody who loves movies.
  21. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. HE IS AFRAID
    HE IS ALONE
    HE IS 3,000,000 LIGHT YEARS AWAY FROM HOME

Weather you like it or not, I truly believe at everyone has to admit that E.T. Is a pristine example of a perfect film! It is so much more than a little boy meeting a slimy little alien. E.T. Is the 1982 masterpiece about the innocence of nature not only from this world, but the innocence that the rest of the universe might quite possibly obtain. E.T. shows you that no matter how far away, sometimes the most important person in your life could be one that lives 3,000,000 light years away from you and that despite the distance, you and that person will always have a phenomenally strong connection no matter what. It shows in the film when E.T. gives his life for Elliot out of nothing less than pure true love and compassion for him.

The cast is phenomenal despite only making one true star, Drew Barrymore, while she's fantastic, Henry Thomas Knocks it out of the park with the greatest performance I have seen from a child actor ever. This movie s brilliantly directed by Steven Spielberg who made so man fantastic decisions, such as filming the scenes in order of when they occur in the story so that the child actors would not get confused. Steven Spielberg, a man who planned to never have children, was convinced due to how like able these child actors were. Spielberg has even claimed that he feels like they were his first kids, he basically was there for Drew Barrymore's entire life and is basically a father figure to her.

E.T. Is easily the most emotional film of all time as well, making little kids to grown men cry like a lost kitten not once, but twice in the film! The film also manages to have it's little comedic moment to lighten up the mood, which are placed out perfectly throughout the film. Not to mention the adult cast is amazing as well, specifically Dee Wallace, who might very well be the ultimate mother figure to ever grace the big screen playing the type of role countless of times. It is a movie that is perfectly paced throughout it's two hour runtime that just draws you into the story and towards the end makes you crave for more like the chunky lad on a baseball team craving a bottle of water after running to first base. It perfectly builds up to an epic finally completely built up by your emotions which consists one of the greatest scores in film history by John Williams.

Not to mention E.T. Steals the show by completely controlling the audiences hearts like a puppet on strings. E.T. is so easy to just fall in love with that he could even make a queen xenomorph tear up! This film truly shows how you could use practical effects rather than CGI, check out the deleted scenes in the twentieth anniversary edition, in a much more effective way. E.T. remained the highest-grossing film of all time for about twenty-one years until another definitive Spielberg film called Jurassic Park. E.T. blew up like a pimple on prom night, being on the cover of everything such as, T-shirts, cereal, and candy. Hell, E.T. even became best friends in real life with the so called "greatest entertainer to ever live Michael Jackson,"to the point where they even took one of the most iconic images involving the two from the iconic E.T. soundtrack.

E.T. is probably the only big moneymaker in film history to escape an amateur sequel, trust me I read the plot, because Spielberg came and told the studio that they couldn't do a sequel, because they truly did have a perfect film.......and the studio agreed for once. E.T. Not only is the biggest film to come out of the 80's, but it is probably the first movie to gain as much support from the audience as it did. E.T. Is still remembered today as one of the all time greatest masterpieces in film history and still continues to touch audiences hearts around the planet..........and will continue to do so until the end of time! E.T. is Pure....... Perfection! My Favorite Film Of All Time!
  22. Jan 4, 2014
    Com o tempo passou e ainda Et se matém magistral diante de um tempo onde o cinema não se preocupa mais com qualidade. São esse filmes que fará a magia do cinema eterna.
  23. May 20, 2013
    No movie is sweeter.
    No science fiction movie is funnier.
    No one is sadder.
    E.T. will always be a masterpiece.
    A very lovely movie! A film for the whole family.
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    (CONTAINS SPOILERS) About a naked 70 year old sex offender who having run out of credit drunkenly barges his way into someones home and forces several children by finger point to take him to a caravan in the woods on a bike dressed as Mother Teresa whilst the police try to catch him. As drunk as I was I still found it a very moving film for some odd reason.
  25. Oct 8, 2014
    This is one classic films its been a long time since i watched this film it was just mysterious and it is weird when its been a long time since you saw et it was freaky. You watch it again and its shocking as you get older watching the film again. I love the story and to be honest it had been the best movie to be directed by Steven Speilberg since after his most ambitious film ( Jaws).This is one classic films its been a long time since i watched this film it was just mysterious and it is weird when its been a long time since you saw et it was freaky. You watch it again and its shocking as you get older watching the film again. I love the story and to be honest it had been the best movie to be directed by Steven Speilberg since after his most ambitious film ( Jaws). Steven Speilberg is the best film maker he has a filmmakers eye in adventure films.( Indiana Jones , Catch me if you can , Saving private ryan). Grade A+ Expand
  26. May 22, 2014
    E.T. is a classic story of friendship. It's filled with exciting set pieces, smart writing, strong acting performances, and top notch directing by Steven Spielberg.
  27. Oct 18, 2014
    Steven Spielberg's classic tale of an extra-terrestrial who is accidentally left behind on earth and befriends a young boy and his family in a heart warming story.
  28. Feb 26, 2015
    Never seen this movie but there is one thing I gotta say: THE MOVIE IS WAAAAAYYY BETTER than this Atari 2600 game. E.T. A2600 is absolute s***! No joke.
  29. Mar 6, 2016
    At their best, both Spielberg and Lucas make idealized versions of the kinds of films they loved as kids, in the process furnishing this generation’s filmgoers with visual treats of unprecedented skill and sophistication. Despite the continual presence of the little Yoda-like creature, “E.T.” is not first and foremost an effects picture, but rather a charming “Twilight Zone”-like fableAt their best, both Spielberg and Lucas make idealized versions of the kinds of films they loved as kids, in the process furnishing this generation’s filmgoers with visual treats of unprecedented skill and sophistication. Despite the continual presence of the little Yoda-like creature, “E.T.” is not first and foremost an effects picture, but rather a charming “Twilight Zone”-like fable which reminds by turns of “The Wizard of Oz,” “Mary Poppins,” a benign switch on “King Kong” and a variation of Spielberg’s own “Close Encounters.”

Opening sequence actually comes off like a repeat of “Close Encounters”‘ final frames, as a sizeable spaceship takes off just before some earthly authorities are able to close in on it. One of its occupants gets left behind, however, and the viewer is instantly sympathetic with its plight in the threateningly different environment of a modern California subdivision.

E.T. is highly fortunate to be found by young Henry Thomas who, after some understandable initial fright, takes the ‘goblin’ in, first as a sort of pet and then as a friend he must guard against the more preying elements of human society. Over time, Thomas teaches E.T. how to talk and includes his older brother (Robert MacNaughton) and younger sister (Drew Barrymore) in on the secret, even as he manages to hide his discovery from his mother (Dee Wallace).

Ultimately, of course, the official representatives of society locate E.T., which seems to occasion a rapid decline in its health until it appears to die. When it revives, Thomas marshals his friends into a kids’ commando squad to spirit E.T. back to the spaceship which is on its way to a rescue rendezvous.

First element which had to work to insure film’s success was E.T. itself. As superlatively created by Carlo Rambaldi, the creature manages to project both a wondrous childlike quality and a sense of superior powers. Cutely awkward in its movements, the being has rubbery brown skin, an extendable neck and possesses eyes which dilate on cue. It even gets to play a drunk scene, perhaps a first for screen aliens. Assuredly not lost on those involved with the film are the opportunities for E.T.-related toys and dolls, which are enormous.

An amusing sidelight to the tale is that the action takes place in a suburban household almost identical to that in the Spielberg-produced “Poltergeist,” which leads to the thought that the two, distinctly different stories could be unfolding in neighboring homes simultaneously. In fact, many of the motifs in the early going are similar to those in “Poltergeist”–the middle-class family, the blonde dog, goldfish, people glaring into bright lights in awe and disbelief.

But “E.T.” will surely prove an embraceable film by the general public. Rarely has a picture so completely evinced a kid’s p.o.v. and shown the complicity of youngsters against adults. It’s been said that the only people who don’t like Disneyland are late adolescents who feel too hip to enjoy the pleasures of their earlier years, and the same will probably hold true for “E.T.”

As can be expected for Spielberg and the Industrial Light & Magic shop, the technical effects are state-of-the-art superb. Enough cannot be said for John Williams’ score, which stands as a model of film composing–although it is almost continually present it’s also practically unnoticeable, so well does it both complement and further the events onscreen.

As far as the performances go, the key was finding three kids who could respond with both innocence and gumption to the arrival of E.T. All fulfill the requirements, and Thomas is perfect in the lead, playing the childhood equivalent of Spielberg’s everyman heroes of his previous pics.

There are some unsatisfactory elements–slow spots occur during the middle stretch, the mild anti-establishment stance is getting to be a bit cliche and one never knows whether E.T.’s mortal illness is physical or psychological in nature, or both. But, as with “Close Encounters,” the truly lovely and moving ending more than makes up for everything. Chalk up another smash for Spielberg.
  30. May 12, 2015
    E.T is undeniably one of the best family movie that I've ever seen. E.T is one of the greatest achievement in cinema history. It is a masterpiece made by the one and only Steven Spielberg. And it gets 10 out of 10.
  31. Jun 9, 2016
    With a magnificent direction, talented cast, funny jokes and stunts, interesting story-telling, suspense-packed moments, dramatic parts and an unforgettable message of true friendship and love, so every kind of viewer would get connected with, E.T. becomes one of the bests films ever made.
  32. Jul 12, 2016
    E.T the Extra Terrestrial is not only my favorite Steven Spielberg movie but it's also one of my favorite films ever. It has one of the most heart warming stories of all time, the music by John Williams is unforgettable, the acting is great and has emotional moments. The idea of a friendship between a boy and alien is very brilliant. The special effects in this movie were great for it'sE.T the Extra Terrestrial is not only my favorite Steven Spielberg movie but it's also one of my favorite films ever. It has one of the most heart warming stories of all time, the music by John Williams is unforgettable, the acting is great and has emotional moments. The idea of a friendship between a boy and alien is very brilliant. The special effects in this movie were great for it's time and still holds up well today. This is one of the movies that i'm gonna remember for the rest of my life cause it's very memorable. Expand
  33. Jul 20, 2016
    Magical. ET is one of my favourite films of all time. It has great casting, great performances, great direction, AMAZING music (John Williams), an emotional story, and great comedy.
  34. May 30, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movies of all time....... period
  35. Nov 10, 2012
    Film cult degli anni 80, e poi riproposto negli anni 2000 al cinema con l'aggiunta di scene inedite; E.T segna un nuovo inizio nella storia delle fantascienza, per via della sua storia, un bambino che fa amicizia con un alieno lasciato dai suo simili sulla terra per sbaglio, che rivoluziona il genere fantascientifico che aveva sempre identificato l'alieno come il cattivo, nei film che neFilm cult degli anni 80, e poi riproposto negli anni 2000 al cinema con l'aggiunta di scene inedite; E.T segna un nuovo inizio nella storia delle fantascienza, per via della sua storia, un bambino che fa amicizia con un alieno lasciato dai suo simili sulla terra per sbaglio, che rivoluziona il genere fantascientifico che aveva sempre identificato l'alieno come il cattivo, nei film che ne vedevano far parte. E' una storia di amicizia, l'alieno non più il cattivo, diventa il bambino indifeso lasciato in un luogo sconosciuto. La storia si sviluppa con ritmo lento, forse, ma riesce a incuriosire lo spettatore, intenerito da E.T. Il cast e composto da attori che diventaro famosi proprio grazie a questo film, prima fra tutte Drew Barrymore, sorella minore di Elliot, che prima è spaventata da E.T, ma diventa subito amica. Cresce insieme a Elliot e sopratutto a insieme a E.T che con il tempo impara a parlare, e graze a questo svelerà il suo intento che cercherà di realizzare proprio grazie a i suoi amici. Il legame che con il tempo si sviluppa tra l'alieno e il bambino, è un'invenzione inteligente che serve da ponte con la seconda parte del film più tragica. Buon utilizzo degli effetti speciali, Spilberg da origine a uno dei film forse tra i più importanti della storia, adatto sia ai bambini, ma sopratutto agli adulti. L'epilogo finale è carico di emozioni e potrà far commuovere chiunque. Expand
  36. Sep 9, 2016
    E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a heartwarming, simplistic tale for families to enjoy. It packs an emotional punch but is also fun throughout its runtime.
  37. Feb 21, 2015
    This was a great movie. WAAY better than that crappy game for Atari 2600. The storyline was nice. The characters were great. The dialogue was good. E.T. phone home. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial is a great film for all ages and you should watch it if you haven't. You're awesome Speilberg!
  38. Jan 5, 2016
    They all say this is a family-friendly movie. Indeed it is. One of the greatest movies in history also has one of the worst video games in history which is quite disappointing.
  39. Jul 26, 2016
    Featuring one-of-a-kind performances from its leads, E.T. hits home with its wonderfully crafted (and written) story-line that centers around a non-human character who is filled with so much human emotion and charm.
  40. GustavoH.R.
    Dec 20, 2003
    The Mulroneycakes Tapes is right. We, spielberg-film lovers, are not "dopes" nor "idiots". We simply like the best movies that Hollywood can offer. And Spielberg makes those films.
  41. Robert
    Feb 20, 2003
    This is truly an excellent movie for children and adults alike. Had to take off some points for editing out the guns though... I personally think it was a very bad idea to remove them in its re-release. Still, a great movie.
  42. PatC.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Shamelessly contrived button pusher. Let's just let the children run the planet. Mushy with characters the thickness of cardboard cutouts. Stupid Stupid Stupid. Bad story. Great film. It's amazing how skilled plot development and editing can save the worst of material. The alien becomes a metaphor for a lost pet or lonely child, and the human children are recognized as imbued Shamelessly contrived button pusher. Let's just let the children run the planet. Mushy with characters the thickness of cardboard cutouts. Stupid Stupid Stupid. Bad story. Great film. It's amazing how skilled plot development and editing can save the worst of material. The alien becomes a metaphor for a lost pet or lonely child, and the human children are recognized as imbued with wisdom and people worthy of their parent's tolerance and trust. Never judge a film for its subject matter, only for its treatment of it. Spielberg pulled a fast one here. Then went too far (Jurassic Park). Expand
  43. Aug 23, 2010
    Alien life lands on earth to collect plants, gets left behind, befriends some kids, authorities find out, flying BMXs
    Spielberg feel-good film with inevitable sad moments along the way. Thought ET was done pretty well but I was watching the 20th Anniversary version & I believe SS has gone back & tweaked some scenes George Lucas style.
    The kids are great in it & I don't think Drew Barrymore
    The kids are great in it & I don't think Drew Barrymore has been as good in anything else. Also a mention for the excellent score by John Williams.
  44. Dec 21, 2012
    A heartwarming family adventure, E.T. for once, is not an alien who eats people who tries to destroy planets or whatever. This is a picture of youth, courage, and an absolute testament to the childlike wonder. I LOVE this movie. There's only 2 flaws:
    1) It is a bit long, (but it had to be to tell the story)
    2) The first 4 minutes are absolutely boring.
  45. Dec 15, 2015
    It is a speilberg classic and it is a interesting idea and mind like after jaws you would think he would stick to r rated movies,but he has a kidfreindly side.
  46. Dec 13, 2011
    Not quite a master piece but for sure an instant classic. I enjoyed this film throughout. The film did lack a bit in the acting. It seemed to me like Henry Thomas needed an acting coach. But for a young child he did essentially well. Never the least, the rest was spot on. The plot enlightened me. It messed with my emotions. It made me feel like a child again. The film contained manyNot quite a master piece but for sure an instant classic. I enjoyed this film throughout. The film did lack a bit in the acting. It seemed to me like Henry Thomas needed an acting coach. But for a young child he did essentially well. Never the least, the rest was spot on. The plot enlightened me. It messed with my emotions. It made me feel like a child again. The film contained many important contributions to plot build up. Especially the part when Elliott was at school and connected to E.T. My most favorite part of the film was the bike ride. Or should I say bike flight. It just might be one of my favorite scenes in cinematic history. It made me believe I too could fly on a bike. Okay, not really because I am aware that it is just a movie. But I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. I highly recommend this film to anyone and everyone. To parents reading this you might want to show this to your kids because it's great for the imagination. I'm pretty sure that penis breath could escape there mind. Expand
  47. Sep 2, 2012
    E.T is an enriching and emotional film that takes another side of aliens. It can become slightly drawn out and boring but for the most part is a wonderful story of a relationship between a boy and an alien.
  48. Mar 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With few boring and unnecessary scenes. "Extra-Terrestrial" is a good movie with great message! Home is home and no matter where you are, you'll never abandon it! Expand
  49. Apr 2, 2014
    Heartwarming as it is, E.T. is a little bit too over the top. Although it is a good movie, it could be better, and is a little bit too predictable to be called Spielberg's best film.
  50. Dec 30, 2015
    Found this leaflet. Not sure ... anyway here it is.

Watch out for ET! Ever since he was invited to the Intergalactic Boxing Championships. he has ravaged us. Headbutted his way to the championship. During the introduction. Alien, Predator, the Thing, the Borg, Octipi (Independence Day), and others all killed before they could ever get their mitts up. We're all living in slavery.
    Found this leaflet. Not sure ... anyway here it is.

We're all living in slavery. Help! Mankind is our last hope! ------ ARRRRGGGH
  51. K.S.
    Mar 27, 2002
    When I first watched ET as a young teen, I think I was the only person in the theater laughing instead of crying. Even at that age, I found it to be cliche and not really that meaningful. It doesn't beat Wizard of Oz for allegory and myth.
  52. BrazilGarcia
    Mar 30, 2002
    Unlike all the listed critics, I never saw this as a child. Watching it for the first time as an adult makes for a pretty boring two hours. A 97 score? Come on.
  53. YoonMinC.
    Sep 29, 2003
    That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism of the Holy Roman Church? Some turd shaped frog from outerspace befriends a misunderstood kid named Elliot, and, oh my, the big bad government is out That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism of the Holy Roman Church? Some turd shaped frog from outerspace befriends a misunderstood kid named Elliot, and, oh my, the big bad government is out to get them. The brown frog dies, is resurrected, and returns to heaven. Was mankind saved? No, but it was milked worse than by any unscrupulous televangelist. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2014
    E.T. is extremely thin--it pretends to be a much more heartwarming and spectacular than it actually is. I've found it difficult to emotionally connect and am unimpressed with Spielberg's attempt at creating fantastic science-fiction.
  55. Apr 17, 2015
    I can definitely see the appeal of E.T. and the nostalgia of it. But, as a child of the 90s, I never saw E.T. until I was older. It is not my favorite Spielberg film, but is definitely worth the watch.
  56. WillC.
    Jul 30, 2003
    From sequels to altered originals. The original would have scored a 9. But you don't change a movie once released. Twenty years later, I still love E.T., but the new version would have better use in a scrap heap.
  57. XtraT.
    Nov 14, 2003
    Contrived tear-jerker for Speeelberg fans. Thin in the first place, and now dragged out again for a new generation of dopes.
  58. DanW.
    Apr 4, 2002
    It's very decent fluff, but that's all it is. Seems like most critics seem to enjoy fellating Spielberg, and this is no exception. What's more shocking is that this rerelease of a successful film is a sleazy tactic we're more used to from the likes of George "Hack" Lucas. Don't get me started. You know what? If you saw E.T. the first time, there's no reason It's very decent fluff, but that's all it is. Seems like most critics seem to enjoy fellating Spielberg, and this is no exception. What's more shocking is that this rerelease of a successful film is a sleazy tactic we're more used to from the likes of George "Hack" Lucas. Don't get me started. You know what? If you saw E.T. the first time, there's no reason to waste $10 on it again. The added scenes, cleaned-up special effects and remastered score are smokescreens for Spielberg's grotesque grab for cash. While the film rates a 6, the motivation behind the rerelease deducts it a full 5 points. Enjoy your thievery, Steven. Expand
  59. Mr.P.
    Mar 22, 2002
    This movie is tired and boring. It makes me feel like a little boy all over again, and that isn't a good feeling. I gave this movie a 1 because I felt like giving it this many middle digits the entire time I watched it.
  60. Blah
    Jul 18, 2003
    This movie was too boring.
  61. DeanK.
    Jan 25, 2006
    Despite the movies great effects for the time this over the top smaltz factory from the man obsessed by 6 year old heroes himself (mr spielberg) is the most over rated bag of salmon sick I have ever watched. ET go home? I wish he'd never bothered to come here in the first place.
  62. TiggerO.
    Jun 3, 2003
    Taking the guns out made this movie blow. Leave movies alone.
  63. EdwardH
    Mar 23, 2010
    Like all Spielberg movies, every single minute of this looser is predictable. This is the first movie that made me realize that Hollywood was pandering to me--I was about 19 then. The term "puerile" not only comes to mind, but walks up to me with a stupid look n its face and slaps me around for ten solid minutes.

1. Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    Jun 2, 2016
    Though marred by Spielberg's usual carelessness with narrative points, the film alternates sweetness and sarcasm with enough rhetorical sophistication to be fairly irresistible.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 2, 2016
    Spielberg has always shown a penchant for overt manipulation, but nowhere is this more obvious than in E.T., where he pulls out all the stops in an effort to bleed tears from the eyes of every audience member. It doesn't take a cynical nature to recognize what the director is doing. [2002 re-release]
  3. Reviewed by: Moira Macdonald
    Jun 2, 2016
    Yes, the film does strum the heartstrings a bit too emphatically toward the end, by cranking up Williams' music and giving us perhaps one tear too many, but that's a minor quibble. When Elliott and his friends soar on their bicycles, like flying Peter Pans who must soon grow up, it's as touching and note-perfect a moment as any in the movies. [2002 re-release]