8.8

1. Sep 8, 2014
    by far the best horror movie of all time. It's funny, stupid, and gory. What's not to like here?
    I enjoyed every second of this film and I'd highly recommend you go watch this RIGHT NOW!!!
    It's on Netflix, well at least in Canada it is. If I could I would rate this 12/10. I hope this helped and you should definitely watch this sometime.
  2. Sep 3, 2014
    It's not as scary as its ingenious predecessor, but "Evil Dead II" is still highly entertaining and probably even more interesting than "The Evil Dead". It's mostly a string of disconnected crazy scenes for the first thirty minutes, but the movie finds itself, and it becomes more coherent and creepy. If you liked the first one, I definitely recommend this one.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    A horror with more comedy than its sequel, but manages to be just as original and refreshing from the mindless slashers with magic monsters. The 'evil' in 'Evil Dead II' is more of a freak show than something actually terrifying. But Raimi's filmmaking style keeps you entertained, both screaming and laughing.
  4. Jun 16, 2014
    Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn is a breathtaking part 2, worthy of expectations from both fans and critics about the sequel of the original renowned movie. Bruce Campbell returned as a sole survivor after the event in The Evil Dead, and this time he is even better with unpredictable, fearsome performance, which precisely matched Ash's mysteriously dangerous psychological behavior when he had his arm chopped and his girlfriend decapitated. Concisely speaking, Sam Raimi's terrifying direction, successfully combined with Campbell's breathtaking acting, produced a somewhat better horror cult classic with a higher level of blood, gore and visual elements that would leave viewers forever scared **** Expand
  5. May 11, 2014
    It's easy to see , from the beginning of the film, "The House 2" is a sequel to " The House " , but that takes a few moments a remake of the original. This time, however , Raimi wanted to include elements of the grotesque and comic , making the film a real B -movie.
    All this, contrary to what you might think , is not a defect, it helps to make the film a true gem that entertains from the
    first minute . Let's be clear that the B-movie does not need to be in the film of low quality, there are geniuses like Sam Raimi, in fact, that in movies at the highest level as "The House 2" , manage to insert elements typical of these films, alzandone further the level. There is , therefore, no need to say that the film is one of the greatest cult cinema history , as well as a horror film that deserves the highest of the stars.
    The dominance , however, of these elements wants the judgment of the film to be assigned considering it as a B -movie.
  6. Apr 8, 2014
    Evil Dead returns as a good sequel its epic , horrorific , and awsome . but why at the last scene Ash ends up back in time ??????????????????????????? . Grade A+
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    Among the greatest horror movies of all time, my personal favourite. It is brilliantly directed by Sam Raimi and wonderfully acted by Bruce Campbell. This is one of the most entertaining movies i have ever seen. I love the slapstick humour mixed with horror. All of the movies elements combined lead to it being one of my favourite films of all time, and a must see for fans of the horror(/Slapstick Comedy) genre Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    Full of blood, guts, gore and more blood, guts and gore. Evil Dead 2 is not very different from the first movie but it's a successful formula. Lots of cheesy dialogue and ancient curses reminiscent of 1950's B movies so outrageous and completely insane that you really don't care. Perhaps not as brilliant as many make it out to be, but good entertainment to make you laugh and enjoy yourself.
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    Evil Dead II is proof that Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were the gods of low budget filmmaking, proof of the incredible intelligence and stupidity of the horror genre. Evil Dead II is among the best horror comedies ever made. No much needs to be said from Raimi's spot on direction and Campbell's iconic, ridiculous parody of the action hero, Evil Dead II combines ludicrous amounts of gore with ludicrous amounts of hilarity, what more could you need? Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2013
    A good sequel and a fun film. The only thing I do dislike about this film series is that in each one the continuity changes. A great cast of characters.
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    Maximum visceral impact is what "Evil Dead 2" is all about-- and it delivers. The brilliance of "Evil Dead 2" is found in its psychotic blend of over-the-top gore, and it's fantastic sense of humor. Not a sequel so much as an elaborate do-over, "Evil Dead 2" amps up the ghastly laughs to generally thrilling results. As in the first film, director Sam Raimi lets out all the stops and plays on almost every cinematic trick in the book. Although the movie is obviously indebted to any number of sources, the film has an infectious energy all of its own.

After a high-speed recap and continuation of first film's ending, Ash (Bruce Campbell) ventures out to that same lonely cabin for a romantic weekend with his girlfriend (Denise Bixler). There he discovers the same tape recorder again. When the voice reads a translation of the "Book of the Dead," a vicious evil force awakens in the woods, and rushes into the house, and all hell breaks loose once more. Despite "Evil Dead 2" being more of a rehash than a sequel, it's the tone of the two movies that are significantly different. While the original is more of a conventional horror movie, the sequel ventures into full-blown surrealism. While both movies contain moments of humor, "Evil Dead 2" raises the comedic stakes.

Campbell's performance shifts to match the needs of the humorous script, and Ash is now all swagger, spitting out one-liners and taking on the forces of darkness with style. The overall intensity and old-school effects give the film a lovable quality that high-tech movies just can't provide nowadays. An acknowledgement to Mark Shostrom's prosthetic makeup and the camera work of Peter Deming and Eugene Shlugleit. Vivid, utterly unique, and quickly paced, ''Evil Dead 2'' is one of the goofiest, goriest movies this side of the grave.
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    Similar but completely different to the first one.

While the first one definitely tries to be more serious, the second one really does take everything with a wink and a little dance. Weird analogy but let me explain... There would be a scare, which would represent the 'wink', and then the scary thing would laugh, and then everything would suddenly almost Disney style. But with blood.

I loved it.

From the weird descriptions, it should be noted that it has been a long day, and this film gave me a bit of a boost that I needed.

The best way to put this review is that it firstly puts you straight into the action, which at first is admittedly a little jarring, as I had no idea where I was for a second, and then, as they say: does indeed hit the fan'.

I just enjoyed it.

... This is probably one of the worst reviews so far.
  13. May 18, 2013
    I don't get it, I just don't get. I read everywhere that this was an awesome movie, Empire says; from what I believe are user votes, that this was the 46 or something best film out of 500. I know that doesn't entirely mean that it is that good just because a magazine says so. But this was so interesting, I had to watch, and when I did, I was so confused. So from what I can tell this is the first horror movie to include intentional laughs in it, even before scream. So I thought: well this will be fun to watch. When it was done though, I had this feeling of me just not understanding why people love this movie so much. Personally I think the last one was okay, it definitely scared me at certain parts and was real gross. The same can be said for this; in my opinion. There're moments where it's being funny, more so than the last one, but only at one or two moments. This is probably most appreciated by those who really love horror, or just understand film a bit more than I do. Until I do understand, this film will be listed as: okay, in my book. Expand
  14. Apr 22, 2013
    Quite similar to the first film and it pretty much follows straight on from where the last one finished up, and while the special effects have improved I think the first one is just that tad better. Definitely still entertaining enough and Ash provides most of the laughs, but it was a little more on the corny side and almost more of a comedy this time around, which wasn't always a bad thing either. Now I'm pumped though because I've seen both the originals and all prepared for the remake!! Expand
  15. Apr 11, 2013
    With amped up production value comes a perfect blend of black comedy, horror, nostalgia and unbeatable atmosphere. Great cinematography and direction from Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell gives a fantastic hammed up performance as Ash a long with the films hilarious comedic tone. A great, if not the best entry in the awesome franchise.
  16. Mar 18, 2013
    Funny and sometimes cheesy (intentionally), yet with Campbell in the lead this movie is just a cult classic. Raimi made a perfect blend of horror, haunted-house and dark-comedy movie, with a really nice atmosphere and special effects. Overall recommended.
  17. Jan 30, 2013
    Honestly, I thought it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Funny at times and it doesn't take itself too seriously. Only thing I have to say that's bad about it is that the last 20 mins or so are rather boring, Not much in terms of originality when compared to the original even though it is a sequel/remake. Still, An enjoyable watch imo.
  18. Jan 21, 2013
    Evil Dead 2 is a delightful mix of eye-popping gore, wacky special effects, hilarious slapstick comedy, deliciously campy dialogue, and Bruce Campbell's best performance yet. Groovy.
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    Evil Dead 2 is fun and very entertaining, but it abandons the horror genre for a violent slapstick comedy theme, which I wouldn't really say it's a bad thing, it's just that I would prefer more horror. The film suffers from odd-pacing, a very short run time and not being as fun as the first, though it is still quite an enjoyable film.
  20. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This surpasses the original one in my opinion. It's a horror and a comedy so you'll be scared and be laughing at the same time. This is quite possibly the most outrageous film I ever saw, especially the laughing scene. If you just want movies that have logic then pass this, but if you're open minded, then you should watch this, but watch the first one too since it's also pretty good. Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2012
    Compelling horror/comedy sequel to the intense, terrifying original. The acting could be better, but the effects are top knotch and the direction is brilliant. Bruce Campbell is a comedic genius. His physical comedy is inspiring and entertaining to watch.
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    This is a staple of our Halloween season in my house. My daughter and I watch it every year and absolutely LOVE it! Creepy yet cheezy and a whole lot of fun to watch! Our favorite scenes are when Ash battles his own hand. Tons of Blood and Laughs!
  23. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Horror films don't get much better than this. Perfectly balances slap-stick comedy and horror. It's hard to believe the director of Spider-man Sam Raimi got his start here. My favorite horror movie by far.
  24. Apr 7, 2011
    This movie is possibly one of the wackiest and hilarious films ever released. Sam Raimi returns once again to the horrors of the Book of the Dead, along with star Bruce Campbell, the king of B-movies. The plot is pretty much the same as the original; Ash and his girlfriend Linda venture to a cabin in the middle of a dark and unidentified forest. Ash finds a strange looking book and when he recites passages from it, he ressurects a dark spirit in the woods, and summons all kinds of crazy demons and monsters. The blood flies in some very imaginative ways. Heads get lopped off, demons get blown up and numerous people get zombified. It also has a focus on comedy thats just adds to how entertaining this movie really is. In sum, a great movie to watch on Halloween night an one of the most unique horror films around. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Best scenes: Campbell pondering whether to squash her dismembered head in a vice, and a later quandary when he must shotgun his own dismembered hand. Moral: Pimples aren't the worst thing that can happen to your body. [11 Sept 1987, Life, p.3D]
  2. In many ways even more hellish and stylish than its predecessor... A horror cult classic.
  3. Reviewed by: Pat Graham
    The effects are just as delirious this time around, but the nightmare poetry has vanished, along with the sense of archetypal purpose and narrative inevitability that held the jack-in-the-box original together.